• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

I'd be on that so fast. So fast.

Sadly, Shenmue has no chance of pulling in the money required for a real sequel.

I kinda wonder if the guy responsible for Shenmue can just do an original "spiritual successor" to the series rather than continuing it. I mean, Richared Garriott is basically doing his "spiritual successor" to Ultima(which from the looks of it and the fact it uses a LOT of similar themes, is much alike to Mighty No. 9 in that respects), and Mighty No. 9 is an OBVIOUS spiritual successor to Mega Man, Yu Suzuki might have a better chance just doing something like that. Do you think people would fund it?

Rubius

Backed 60$ +15$ for shipping (why is shipping to Canada so damn high?)
Look awesome really. If we can get a Megaman X game with today technology, it will be awesome.

The idea that 900,000 dollars is somehow too high for a game budget is ridiculous. This isn't being slapped together in a few months by amateurs. I feel like we just had this conversation a few months ago with the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign.

Servbot24

Banned
Pledge now and pull your money if the goal isn't reached in time. You don't get charged until the end of the campaign.

This way, the total goes higher, more people feel confident about backing so more people back, etc.

Oh, cool. Will do.

No6 looks shit but No2 looks boss.

VariantX

Do they really care?

It seems to me, not a bit. When Capcom releases crap like the iOS version of megaman X and straight up garbage like megaman X over. When there are people in the megaman fanbase that can make better quality megaman games than the ip owner itself and do it consistently, there's no question they really don't care about the franchise at the moment.

2.5 million for a console version? Erm...seems pretty high.

Comcept is small, they are probably having to pay an outside studio to handle porting jobs. Especially if they are trying to get everything else out.

Also remember that only 300k of that would be "for porting" money based on their stretch goals... 2.5mil for a full game + porting to various systems + other bonuses is really not that bad at all.

Tain

The idea that 900,000 dollars is somehow too high for a game budget is ridiculous. This isn't being slapped together in a few months by amateurs. I feel like we just had this conversation a few months ago with the Skullgirls crowdfunding campaign.

yeah nothing in this thread has made my eyes roll harder and faster than complaining about the budget

this isn't some jason rohrer shit, lol

Maedhros

Hopefully this (and other succesfull projects, like Star Citizen or Starbound) shows to other developers that funding can be really cool. We need more Japanese developers making games without publishers butting in.

AwShucks

This so hard. Look at the number of people involved and remember this is to pay (some) them for over a year of work plus business costs on top of that.

SparkTR

Comcept is small, they are probably having to pay an outside studio to handle porting jobs. Especially if they are trying to get everything else out.

Also remember that only 300k of that would be "for porting" money based on their stretch goals... 2.5mil for a full game + porting to various systems + other bonuses is really not that bad at all.

Also it costs a ton to get console licenses for engines and other software, another Kickstarter wanted to do a Wii U version but the license cost something like 40k, add in other consoles and you'll need a fair chunk of money. With publishers they already own the license so they can make it on whatever, when you're independent you're going to have to fork over a fair chunk of cash.

It's great that Nintendo and Sony have been more open to indie development, but the console ecosystem as a whole has a long way to go in regards to small developers, it's still very much publisher territory.

Maxim726X

First Kickstarter I ever put money towards.

We bitch all of the time that Megaman is dead- Well, put your money where you mouth is brahs.

g3xUPzD.jpg

O_O

I like it.

Yes Yes Yes! ... Looks fucking great!

exfatal

be the first time ever pledging to kickstarter thinking i'll donate 20 or 60.

So can we say that Megaman Aka Rock can finally pass the baton on to Beck?

synce

Cool graphics style but the character is such a blantant Mega Man ripoff... even if he did create him, I would've preferred something original. I don't think he'll get $900K but good luck anyway

Cool graphics style but the character is such a blantant Mega Man ripoff... even if he did create him, I would've preferred something original. I don't think he'll get $900K but good luck anyway

He wanted to make Mega Man, though, so he made the closest thing he possibly could without actually calling it Mega Man.

Don't see a problem here.

Peru

They'll get to 900k in two days.

This looks fantastic.

The fact that it's 2.5D and not straight up 2D is kind of disappointing, but everything else about this looks stellar. Will definitely buy it once available, but I'm unsure if I'll back it. I might just have to go in for $20. I would love the art book but $250 is definitely too much for me.

qq more

He wanted to make Mega Man, though, so he made the closest thing he possibly could without actually calling it Mega Man.

Don't see a problem here.

Exactly!

Besides, Capcom isn't even making new Mega Man games anymore... which justifies this further!

Kurod

Banned
Hey so the physical copy im getting with my 99$ is for my platform of choice if that goal is reached?

You don't get a physical copy of the game. You get a physical box in the style and dimensions of the old NES boxes. The game itself will be just a code.

Guys, I backed and think it should be funded, but everyone bugging their eyes out at the picture being posted repeatedly should note the caption on the page:

Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens.

Top Bottom