• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*reads responses*

Man, no need for this much, just call me out for being salty, lol.

Anyway, I think I'll go with F now unless the barebones H concept comes out with something surprising.

Eusis

Exactly, if anything, those guidelines probably fit G the most.
G just looked too creepy for my preferences, may as well go with the more blatantly robotic feature-wise ones like B. Though given how MM's robots were "less human" than X's I don't think it really matters.

mclem

Thanks to everyone who backed this project.

1VvMHid.jpg

Wait, that's a salute? I always thought Beck was just about to pull his goggles down!

Boogiepop

Bah, not surprised, but pretty disappointed that the greatest Call (AKA Call C) didn't even make it into the top three. Oh well, I guess it's a call to arms behind E to at least prevent Roll Call from taking it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
*reads responses*

Man, no need for this much, just call me out for being salty, lol.

Anyway, I think I'll go with F now unless the barebones H concept comes out with something surprising.

H almost looks like a Rule 63 Astroboy just with different hair.

(Though I know Mega Man was inspired by Astroboy in the first place)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
F won? Good. I might have preferred E, but I don't mind F.

Can anyone link me to the countdown livestream archive? I'm really sad I missed it, but I had to work late.

Great its starting to look like anyone who's Call didn't make it into the top 3 will vote against F. F brothers and sisters we must stay strong.

Good point. The fans of those Calls that didnt make the cut will definitely skewer the votes for the final 3

F will probably still win though lol

MN9 comes to every platform except smartphone lol. Ironic isn't it? Considering how many Japanese devs jumping ship to smartphone market.

Phocks

This but with E. Hell, I'm kinda hoping that Call subverts the whole "operator robo-chick" trope in these games at some point and goes out to fuck some shit up too.
The biggest reason I'm against E because she looks too much like a helper robot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The biggest reason I'm against E because she looks too much like a helper robot.

She's dressed as a helper because that's her role in that part of the game. I bet once she's playable, she turns into something sleeker/deadlier. After all, she's a robot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For me, there is a threshold. You can make a robot to have some response protocols to make it more human-like, but it seemed like Beck has an emotion chip or whatever and Call does not. So a little personality is alright, but the sketches of E make her seem like a hyperactive/reactionary/exaggerated anime character, way too emotive. So she seemed like the opposite of an assistant-bot concept, unless Dr. Sanda wanted to torture poor Dr. White.

On the flipside, there is pretty much nothing shown of H, so you have to fill in the details and hope it makes a decent character. F already had a lot filled in by official and fan art, and seems like a nice moderate "half-there" personality yet with lots of action abilities. I had no trouble imagining A having similar sort of personality and abilities, but at the same time being a more interesting design.

That said, WTF is going on here?

yKBNO5J.jpg

I don't remember anyone pointing this out.

F won? I knew the internet would screw it up. E is the best.
Top 3 get fully finished designs, color and all, that will be voted on by, backers only, later. So H, E and F are all in the running. F will likely still win though. H got ~10% of the votes, E 25% and F 35%.

Korigama

Oh what? Who are the top three? I'm so mad I missed the stream.
When is that? E must win.
F, followed by E, then H.
Voting is over and the top 3 were:

1. F 35.31%
2. E 24.09%
3. H 10.12%

Over 82K total votes.
As for when the next will be...
Those three designs will be colored and refined for another round of backer-only voting on our (by then) new Mighty No. 9 official forums, due to go up sometime in late October or early November!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687385

EDIT: Hm, was just a bit too slow.

Heeey, unlike the Skullgirls vote, this actually rounded down to all the best designs.

Yeah, the biggest problem with the SG vote (outside of the fact that voting should have been done AFTER the drive ended) was that most of the picks were clearly joke characters that had no chance of being in the final game, and just diluted the votes. I mean, seriously, a fucking anvil with arms and one of the chicks from Arcana Heart re-envisioned as Zangief? C'mon, son

For me, there is a threshold. You can make a robot to have some response protocols to make it more human-like, but it seemed like Beck has an emotion chip or whatever and Call does not. So a little personality is alright, but the sketches of E make her seem like a hyperactive/reactionary/exaggerated anime character, way too emotive. So she seemed like the opposite of an assistant-bot concept, unless Dr. Sanda wanted to torture poor Dr. White.

On the flipside, there is pretty much nothing shown of H, so you have to fill in the details and hope it makes a decent character. F already had a lot filled in by official and fan art, and seems like a nice moderate "half-there" personality yet with lots of action abilities. I had no trouble imagining A having similar sort of personality and abilities, but at the same time being a more interesting design.

yKBNO5J.jpg

She's either stripping, doing her version of "Well, what is it?" or "Come at me, bro."

H is probably diminishing returns judging by how close the other designs were to it in votes. F vs. E for real. This all depends on how much the designs change and are presented, of course.

yKBNO5J.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering wth the point of her disrobing was, but then I thought about why robots needed clothes at all and that kinda made me decide not to think about it.

I actually prefer my robots to look more mechanical and yet I always loved the simple Mega Man designs, so for a spiritual successor I guess I was predisposed not to be picky.

Don't mind F got the most votes. I actually liked all the designs(all had their own unique charm to them). I chose G because she kinda reminded me of Iris, as well as looked the most(to me) like the description of being more "robotic" without the human emotions Beck would have.

Still, I like every other design too. They are all great, IMO!!!

Bravo Mighty No. 9 and Inafune-san!!! Over 4 million!!!! Awesomeness!!!

Top Bottom