• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

antronoid

Glad this did well, I was doubting it would reach the PS4 and Xbox One versions at one point. Watching the last 45 minutes or so of the live stream and the kick starter page were quite exciting too, getting involved with all the excitement as each new stretch goal was met!

Durante

Wow, that makes it the third most funded game ever on kickstarter. I did not expect that at all after the first few days. I hope it inspires more (serious) Japanese KS campaigns.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Hyper Light Drifter is stangely missing from that list.

And Cosmic Star Heroine. I only have 1 backed game anyway. I'm wary of legal woes with Mighty No.9 and I'll just buy it when it releases for real in a couple of years. Everything else, I will back before they end.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did they ever reveal what the final ??? stretch goal was going to be?

kblDhRW.jpg

This small group of developers can make a Mega Man like game for 4 million with tons of content for 7 different platforms. Capcom in the other hand can't do shit.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Aww, I missed the livestream. Oh well.

Congrats to everyone involved! Here's hoping the game blows everyone's socks off once it's been completed.

S1kkZ

Anyone else worried about Unreal Engine on both PSVita and 3DS?
UE on Vita should be fine as long as they don't shoot for 60fps, but what about 3DS?

they can always use another engine for the vita/360 version. didnt another devoloper offer to do the 3ds/vita versions for them, with their own engine? maybe the 3ds and vita get a 2d game with pixel art? ;)

mclem

We'll never know what's behind the final stretch goal. :p

What was behind it was almost certainly "A handy placeholder to make people think that there are stretch goals beyond those we've listed so if we *do* get past the final established goal, people won't assume that's it and it gives us a little time to come up with an *actual* stretch goal to fill that spot."

TnK

You mean Shantae.

HLD is already funded to completion. Shantae could use another 600-700k.
Poor shantae kickstarter. I doubt they will raise even 200K till the end. The strech goals are REALLY good though. I'd say even better than MNo.9 imho.

What was behind it was almost certainly "A handy placeholder to make people think that there are stretch goals beyond those we've listed so if we *do* get past the final established goal, people won't assume that's it and it gives us a little time to come up with an *actual* stretch goal to fill that spot."

It was made obvious by the comment during the stream that they just came up with the online battle race mode the day before the KS ended.

I'd say the last original stretch goal was the 3DS/Vita ports. Everything else after was simply "lets come up with something so people continue to have a reason to donate" and it worked.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, all people wanted were console/handheld ports and once those were achieved, all of a sudden, people wanted the call stage/8 bit music/online battle mode because why not?
KuGsj.gif

FoxSpirit

Poor shantae kickstarter. I doubt they will raise even 200K till the end. The strech goals are REALLY good though. I'd say even better than MNo.9 imho.
Well, there is hope. But yeah, the stretches are very very good, would love voice and animated cutscenes.

Imo they should move them down and make the rest DLC.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Forget crowdfunding, now he's started crowddeveloping :)

I thought that was pretty obvious halfway through the KS. Every day they were flooded with fan concept art, fan character designs, original music remixes and even a few animations and sound effects.

john tv

It was made obvious by the comment during the stream that they just came up with the online battle race mode the day before the KS ended.

I'd say the last original stretch goal was the 3DS/Vita ports. Everything else after was simply "lets come up with something so people continue to have a reason to donate" and it worked.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, all people wanted were console/handheld ports and once those were achieved, all of a sudden, people wanted the call stage/8 bit music/online battle mode because why not?
KuGsj.gif
We'd discussed a whole bunch of potential stretch goals over the past couple months, but tried to pick and choose the ones to highlight based on fan feedback (and of course development realities), and ultimately landed with what we landed with. We did decide to put the online race battle goal in fairly last minute, but it was built from a mix of ideas we'd been talking about for weeks already, plus one new bit (the dropping garbage enemies idea was new, I believe). Once we were able to confirm the final plan and the budget required to pull it off, then we decided to put it in - but again, the core ideas were on the potential goals list for a long time. :)

Thanks again for all the support, GAF! <3

We'd discussed a whole bunch of potential stretch goals over the past couple months, but tried to pick and choose the ones to highlight based on fan feedback (and of course development realities), and ultimately landed with what we landed with. We did decide to put the online race battle goal in fairly last minute, but it was built from a mix of ideas we'd been talking about for weeks already, plus one new bit (the dropping garbage enemies idea was new, I believe). Once we were able to confirm the final plan and the budget required to pull it off, then we decided to put it in - but again, the core ideas were on the potential goals list for a long time. :)

Thanks again for all the support, GAF! <3

Oh so level design was never even mentioned as a possible goal? :(

$3,800,000: OPTIONAL RETRO-STYLE CHIPTUNE SOUNDTRACK + FX!: REACHED!
You’ve seen the names of the legendary musicians attached to this project: Manami Matsumae, Takeshi Tateishi, Ippo Yamada... It’s a veritable who’s who of veteran game composers. So we thought, why not tap into that retro vibe and cook up an optional chiptune version of the entire Mighty No. 9 game soundtrack, including classic sound effects? That’s right – we’ll remix the entire soundtrack, retro 8-bit-style, and the game’s sound effects, for you to listen to in-game as you play, as an option you can toggle on or off in the settings menu!

This is fucking awesome!

amardilo

So glad this got to the next gen console stretch goal and I only just noticed (after the campaign completed) it got to the soundtrack remix which also sounds like it could be good.

I'm also looking forward to see the results they get with the Unreal Engine as it seems like a game that is a bit different from most UE games.

RM8

I hope it inspires more (serious) Japanese KS campaigns.
This would be so awesome. And having PC as the main platform makes it even more awesome. Honestly, I wouldn't mind KS projects for localizations, as greedy as that sounds. I'd give Square Enix extra money for DQM games :(

maybe the 3ds and vita get a 2d game with pixel art? ;)
This would be so great. Not only because it'd look awesome (play with 8-bit soundtrack for better results!), but it'd justify my multiple-dipping :D

Nokterian

Congratulations to the whole team and Inafune san. So damn happy with this! :D A big finger to crapcom since there blind and don't know how to treat fans.

Meia

I wonder when backers find out what their Mighty No.'s are.

I'm actually curious how they're going to come up with this in the first place.

I upped my pledge several times after pledging a small amount at the beginning, and with the way Kickstarter does it it makes it sound like you backed it for the first time. Wondering exactly when they derive someone's number at.

What I want isn't it the number on a t-shirt, but I want the NES USB cart with the front having the art from the game, but the back having the mighty number on it. That would be incredible. :D

Top Bottom