• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Wow, all of the people who voted E are giving me second thoughts about being a part of this fandom. Or at least my fondness for it.

Terrible design.
Easily the worst among all the stuff offered for Call. Though H is pretty bad, too.

I'm gonna be pretty salty if either of these designs beat Call F.
After all the work people made to make Call a playable character, I'd hate her to be doomed to the awful "curvy flight attendant fanservice" cliche.

I'm not wild about Beck's design, not really wild about the Call options either. F comes across as just Roll so far, and since I didn't get a chance to pick a less Rock looking main character, I took my chance to make a less Roll looking Call. I liked A best followed by E primarily because it was the best fleshed out concept, as has been mentioned. Regardless, she looks more like she works at a burger joint to me than a flight attendant :p

I'm sure we'll get some really nice concepts of the top 3 that will probably change a lot of people's minds about each of them.

Raitaro

Yea, I voted for D because I knew it was Keji Inafune's sketch. I kinda liked the rough design and could see what he was going for. Just needed to have her pony tails be one straight tip, rather than scruffy and Wily like. Probably would have been better received.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one then. What did you think about my suggestion (above) to turn her into a rival for Call or perhaps even a Zero-character type rival for Beck? Could bring a bit more originality to have Beck/Call fight against a female melee style robot created by the enemy forces. In the MightyCast no. 2, if I remember correctly, they talk about 8-4's original idea to have the game feature a female lead, so this might be a good option to still use some of that.

On a sidenote: What I also found baffling to hear in that second MightyCast, is that when Ben Judd tried to convince capcom to allow him to produce a new Bionic Commando game (which in the end became Rearmed), almost nobody at Capcom, not even Inafune, was familiar with the original game! In other words, he had to re-convince them why the arm-swinging, no-jumping mechanics worked and why people liked it. This also puts Ono/Inafune's plight for a new Street Fighter game to be made into perspective as even this franchise might otherwise have been totally forgotten by now without them championing its return.

To think that Capcom was - and probably is - run by people who don't even know some of the games that this company has released in the past, nor how some of them still have fans in the West, seems mind boggling to me. If this truly is how big Japanese companies (mis)manage their old IP's, no wonder then that so few of them ever make a (succesful) return. The chances of more obscure but admired Capcom titles like Battle Circuit, Red Earth or even Ghouls 'n Ghosts to make a return or get a re-release seems close to zero because of this as well. And let's not talk about Konami or Sega and the wealth of - to them possibly unknown - IP's they are sitting on that people would love to see return (Vandal Hearts and Outrun for me)! A real shame, especially now that fans can actually voice their wishes through so many channels. Sigh. *Rant mode: switched off*

Zen

Banned
This fits with Inafune's comments about how there are no 'game designers and game makers' on the upper positions of Capcom. They're all bean counters who didn't come up through the company and look at games merely as cost benefit ratios.

Zen

Banned
Part of why everyone likes 2 is probably because it's one of the best tuned and most fair Megaman titles. 9 was just like slamming into a brick wall in spots, for me, didn't enjoy it.

9 is way easier than 10, by a huge amount. I honestly didn't find 9 to be that difficult.

4VniJ1M.jpg

3Fvxlyu.jpg

It's nice that Call D is getting fanart. She's a really underrated design.
I can see why, in some ways. Her drawing is very sketchy, while others are very polished.

Also, it gives people too many Dr. Wily villain vibes to be a hero with her hair. I agree that she might not be quite a perfect fit for Call, at least not with that Dr. Wily inspired hair.

However, I'd really love it if she showed up somehow in the game. I feel that design is a lot of fun, and it's sad that Keiji Inafune lost a design contest, twice. I feel like if it were more polished and less sketch-y, and had a less Dr. Wily inspired haircut, it would have done better. Or, at least I hope it would have.

Her design is great, misunderstood, and underrated.

She has that great classic Mega Man vibe. There's nothing wrong with 80s anime aesthetics. And I love how she looks like she's got a robotic neck, chest, shoulders, and arms. And I also like how she's got a long dress, unlike the barely there dress of some other characters.

I also like her spunky, feisty expression. The way she's got a smile and the way her eyes look. She needs to come back somehow, for Inafune.

That fan art honestly sells her better than the concept. Just the way things go I guess.

The design still doesn't do it for me, that skirt just doesn't work - but yeah if we were talking some kind of Tron Bonne analogue with vaguely Batton looking hair, I could see that working.

Greenzxy

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one then. What did you think about my suggestion (above) to turn her into a rival for Call or perhaps even a Zero-character type rival for Beck? Could bring a bit more originality to have Beck/Call fight against a female melee style robot created by the enemy forces. In the MightyCast no. 2, if I remember correctly, they talk about 8-4's original idea to have the game feature a female lead, so this might be a good option to still use some of that.

I wouldn't mind this at all, I'm definitely in favor of the idea, man. If that were to ever happened too, I'd like to see her design modified and pushed towards a more villainous look. She already has that appearance of a rival, maybe change her skirt a little.

that skirt just doesn't work
Not to question your tastes, but what's wrong with it exactly?

Too traditional and not futuristic enough looking?
I will admit it looks like an old time-y outfit.

But I don't suppose there's anything wrong with that. People are still wearing victorian-esque clothing today. More importantly I like how it's not as non-existant as some of the other dresses/skirts. It's the polar opposite of the thigh showing skirt that Call E is wearing, and I like that.

I'd be much happier with Call E's outfit if it were more like Call D's. I'm much happier with ankle length than thigh showing.

Raitaro

Cool (in response to Greenzxy)! I agree that the skirt might be the only thing that could use some change.

To HolyBaikal: for me it's not the length or more traditional look (which I both like), it's probably the fluffy border at the bottom that's a bit too much perhaps. The rest of the skirt is fine actually now that I look at it. A cool idea would possibly be to have the skirt be sued as a kind of extending / folding umbrella-like floating device (without the usual revealing panty shots please). In fact in the original sketch it did remind me of those typical Japanese paper (?) umbrella's already.

I like the fanart seen above a lot too. Really brings her more to life. I do wonder though why Inafune gave her Beck style headphones with the same symbol on them. Was that just to symbolize Call and Beck having a similar origin / creator?

Oh well, let's see what "Inafking" will come up with for other designs to use in the game.

japtor

Skirts are fine. Several of them have skirts.

Call E has pretty much the shortest one there. Even Call F's skirt is a little short for my tastes.
But it doesn't seem nearly as bad as Call E.

Chie, like most of the Call designs, has a perfectly normal skirt design that isn't nearly as short as Call E's.
Also Call H, whose design I'm not particularly fond of. Her skirt is perfectly reasonable sized, as well.
It's just Call E's dress that is particularly short.
What if they normalized the contest by having new art with them all in the same outfits? Have the original artists still do the new drawings to keep the individuality, but make them work with the same costume(s) to level it out, pick the character rather than the outfit (which could be another round of voting, or DLC outfits down the line or whatever). Out of the concepts those three are all fairly normal looking girl characters so it'd work.

That said I thought Call A was the best as far as fitting in with the description though, still had the cute girl thing going on but had unique visible robotic elements without being over the top like some of the others. It was a pretty cool design so I hope they can fit her in somewhere regardless.

As far as gameplay my wild guess is that they'll go with the usual girl archetype, like weaker but faster and able to do more movement wise...I guess like Protoman?

Not to question your tastes, but what's wrong with it exactly?

Too traditional and not futuristic enough looking?
I will admit it looks like an old time-y outfit.

But I don't suppose there's anything wrong with that. People are still wearing victorian-esque clothing today. More importantly I like how it's not as non-existant as some of the other dresses/skirts. It's the polar opposite of the thigh showing skirt that Call E is wearing, and I like that.

I'd be much happier with Call E's outfit if it were more like Call D's. I'm much happier with ankle length than thigh showing.

Can't really speak to a length preference, I'm not really looking at any of the designs from the standpoint of modesty or fashion style. It just looks out of place in the design to me. Like a curtain stapled to a car.

Korigama

E looks cool, fits her name since she looks like a dispatcher of sorts, and could probably wreck stuff with a gun. Looking cute as well is a side bonus.

But then...you've got her character notes -

Call was not imbued with the human characteristics that make Beck unique, so she’s more of a pure robot

So maybe it doesnt fit?
Like I said before, if they were set on enforcing that, then none of the three that went on to become finalists should've been made eligible.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Update 29: MIGHTY NO. 9, PHASE NO. 1 -- KICKSTARTER COMPLETE!

A few final housekeeping notes:

We're discussing now the frequency and style of updates we'll have going forward. We'll be relatively quiet the next couple weeks while we figure that out, but we're still watching and updating @MightyNo9 on Twitter, and our official Facebook page!

All backers and PayPal buyers who bought during the Kickstarter campaign should receive their Mighty No. (and a password to link that number to their forum name) sometime by the end of October. The plan is for the community website to go up at MightyNo9.com sometime late October or early November.

As mentioned in the livestream, the PayPal options for all physical rewards went down at the end of the Kickstarter campaign, but due to fan demand the digital goods are still for sale -- for the time being. We are finalizing our plans now for how to proceed here, so look for an announcement on that soon.
Check the update for everything else.

The archive video is up at the link, so check that out if you missed it, and enjoy appearances from 8-4, Ltd., the Shovel Knight team at Yacht Club Games, Phil Theobald, The Protomen, Ben Judd, Nick Yu, Kimo Kimo, Koji Imaeda, Ippo Yamada, Manami Matsumae, Takuya Aizu and Yukimasa Tamura from Inti Creates, and, of course, Keiji Inafune himself.
The stream archive: http://www.twitch.tv/comceptusa/c/3019760

qq more

Call D's design is actually much better when it comes to those fanart posted above. I wouldn't mind if some of the other designs make it to the game in some shape or form.

PureGone

Banned
New wall, but I stopped looking around before the posts for today, cause I think most people accepted it was gonna happen by that point.
Probably could've had more PureGone posts, but that's good enough.

Also, darn it Dr Kaos, you're not me!

I really didn't think it was going to happen, good news though

That said I thought Call A was the best as far as fitting in with the description though, still had the cute girl thing going on but had unique visible robotic elements without being over the top like some of the others. It was a pretty cool design so I hope they can fit her in somewhere regardless.

As far as gameplay my wild guess is that they'll go with the usual girl archetype, like weaker but faster and able to do more movement wise...I guess like Protoman?

Call A was perfect. She favored Beck in design and description of the role. People are going to be severely disappointed when their chosen Call isn't all fluffy fluffy lovey dovey girly girly.

If they make Call A a boss she better not be killed. -. -;

qq more

wouldn't be better if they licenced the Rayman Engine? I mean look at it!

it is like a perfect match.

I dunno. The animation style of Rayman wouldn't suit Mighty No. 9, not to mention I prefer the visuals to have a more tiled-base placement.

Alastor3

since we all need to wait for this game to be created, I really need a jump and shoot game on PC, does anyone can recommend me something ?

I'd like to battle all the non-winning designs in Call's special stage. The premise being that Dr. Sandra's prototypes have been infected by the virus, Call would have to deactivate them out of caution and because Beck would be preoccupied with tracking down the Mighty Numbers. This was a possibility for the Legends 3 heroines (I don't remember Eguchi countering the idea of them making cameos in-game), so yeah.

Of course, who knows how Call is going to play or what her stage will be like? Implementing the discarded designs as mini-bosses throughout would be fun, and fighting the two designs that won't make it past the second round as a boss encounter sounds interesting.

Azure J

I dunno. The animation style of Rayman wouldn't suit Mighty No. 9, not to mention I prefer the visuals to have a more tiled-base placement.

This. Also, recently 3D and the Unreal engine have shown to be exceedingly flexible at doing fast paced cartoon styled things if people want that direction.

*Insert Guilty Gear Xrd gifs for the umteenth time here*

I'd prefer the team to work with one or the other (models or drawn sprites) for cohesiveness' sake.

japtor

Call A was perfect. She favored Beck in design and description of the role. People are going to be severely disappointed when their chosen Call isn't all fluffy fluffy lovey dovey girly girly.

If they make Call A a boss she better not be killed. -. -;
Well Call is Beck's assistant...Call could have one of her own too.

Azure J

I'd like to battle all the non-winning designs in Call's special stage. The premise being that Dr. Sandra's prototypes have been infected by the virus, Call would have to deactivate them out of caution and because Beck would be preoccupied with tracking down the Mighty Numbers. This was a possibility for the Legends 3 heroines (I don't remember Eguchi countering the idea of them making cameos in-game), so yeah.

g1f7f27d7.png

I want this now. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
since we all need to wait for this game to be created, I really need a jump and shoot game on PC, does anyone can recommend me something ?

boxartlg.jpg

Just came out on XBLA, but was a PC game before that (believe it's on Steam.) Not sure how much has changed in the gameplay, but it looks like the perfect game to scratch that Megaman Itch for a little while. (And it went up on Live the same day MN9 kickstarter ended, which seemed much too appropriate...)

Wouldn't be surprised if No.9 ends up looking like a more accurate, higher budget version of this game...

Javier

I do hope they include some of the other Calls as characters in the game. I agree with those who said C-Call could work as a boss. I can see B-Call being some kind of shopkeeper.

japtor

It really is and although the 3D stuff looks great this game is meant to be 2D hand drawn.
The budget would be different, and I think Inticreates might've already done 3D cel shading on 3DS for their Naruto game:

Cj8Wcjb.jpg

by99WqB.jpg

(It's hard to tell but what makes me think it's cel shaded is how characters scale up and down while the black lines stay consistent)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I liked A, but at first I didn't really like those extremely large pigtails for whatever reason.

But now the more fanart I see of it, it looks nice.

Top Bottom