• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

MightyNoBeck

Neo Member
I upped my pledge several times after pledging a small amount at the beginning, and with the way Kickstarter does it it makes it sound like you backed it for the first time. Wondering exactly when they derive someone's number at.

8-4 has stated that adjusting a pledge had no effect on a backer's number, as they can still see when the original pledge was made, which will be the basis for assigning the numbers.

Raitaro

Just to chime in after watching the stream and reading up to the last page here, but WOW! we really knocked it out of the park with this one people! Very, very nice!

Regarding the Call designs, I must have been one of the select few who chose D because of the fact that her look deviated quite a bit from the usual cute girl designs (I've never been a big fan of Roll, bit too over the top cute for me somehow). After voting I did get the feeling that she might have been Inafune's sketch as well, which happened to be correct.

Hopefully Inafune will be able to use design D for another purpose. Heck, why not use her as a female Zero style rival for Beck made by the evil scientist that in all probability will be the main antagonist of the game? She's already wearing Beck style headphones. Or have her be Call's rival and have Call fight her in her special stage!

It also worries be slightly that the designs of the two main people responsible for greenlighting the character and enemy designs etc. - Inafune and "Kimo Kimo" san - ended up so low in the voting. I mean, the fans are always right in a way, but please remember that it's these guys that will have a stong voice on the non-votable designs in the game. Oh, well let's not ruin the party atmosphere here with such thoughts.

Do we know if the player will be able to dash and wall jump ? I mean, will the gameplay be more similar to original mega man or X ? I hope X. It's faster paced and has more gameplay variety.

Do we know if the player will be able to dash and wall jump ? I mean, will the gameplay be more similar to original mega man or X ? I hope X. It's faster paced and has more gameplay variety.
I'm thinking a mix of both, but mostly Classic-like. However, I'm hoping this game stands out as much as possible so that the game will find its own fan base and won't just be mostly Mega Man fans who moved on to Mighty No. 9.

Wow, all of the people who voted E are giving me second thoughts about being a part of this fandom. Or at least my fondness for it.

Terrible design.
Easily the worst among all the stuff offered for Call. Though H is pretty bad, too.

I'm gonna be pretty salty if either of these designs beat Call F.
After all the work people made to make Call a playable character, I'd hate her to be doomed to the awful "curvy flight attendant fanservice" cliche.

Wow, all of the people who voted E are giving me second thoughts about being a part of this fandom. Or at least my fondness for it.

Terrible design.
Easily the worst among all the stuff offered for Call. Though H is pretty bad, too.

After all the work people made to make Call a playable character, I'd hate her to be doomed to the awful "curvy flight attendant fanservice" cliche.

I think the reason people are voting for Call E is because they don't want her to look like Roll.

Where is everyone voting at this point?
I'm voting for F. She's easily been my favourite since the beginning.

I have no problem with Mighty No. 9 being a Mega Man clone in many respects. I think that's the point for many people in the first place. As long as the game isn't too restricted by basic gameplay, this game can't possibly be too much like classic Mega Man.

A lot of us want another Mega Man game. But Capcom isn't giving us one. So this is the next best thing. And then why, indeed, not make it the next best thing?

I hope that the majority of people feel the same way. And that people who voted for other Calls that lost don't turn around and vote for Call E or H. Call needs to be Roll.

qq more

Terrible design.

Eh?

I thought E's design is pretty decent. I would've gone with F but she is far too much like Roll. The "fanservice" thing didn't come to mind when I saw E's design. Then again I'm not one into fanservice either.

Honestly, I would have voted for the pink hair Call's design if that one made it to the poll, but it didn't for some strange reason...

Javier

I voted E-Call in first round and still doing so in the next. I like F-Call, but I agree she looks too much like Roll (and even from an entirely objective POV I still like E-Call better).

Terrible design.

Welp.

I didn't want another Roll when there is enough clones in Legends, Zero and ZX.

cooltim

Neo Member
Holy crap - I didn't think they'd be able to get enough funds for the next-gen version. Glad to see I was proven wrong :)

RM8

Personally, I think big part of the appeal of this new IP is that it's basically a re-imagining of Mega Man. This is why I personally want F Call to win, and the gameplay to be based mostly around classic MM (obviously with its own new elements).

Greenzxy

Yea, I voted for D because I knew it was Keji Inafune's sketch. I kinda liked the rough design and could see what he was going for. Just needed to have her pony tails be one straight tip, rather than scruffy and Wily like. Probably would have been better received.

Honestly, I would have voted for the pink hair Call's design if that one made it to the poll, but it didn't for some strange reason...
I believe I heard something about only one illustrator submission for the nine we got.
And that illustrator had already done Roll Call, and chose that instead of Aero Call.

Or that might just be something people are saying. I don't know if it is confirmed, or not.

I wish they could have made an exception for pink haired Aero Call, though.
She would be popular. And I'd much rather see her win than Call E. Her whole design in general is very "cool" and combat oriented. And very fitting for someone getting their own single player combat stage.

Honestly, I like pink haired Aero Call much better than most of the designs presented for the official poll, anyway.

Enker

I voted E-Call in first round and still doing so in the next. I like F-Call, but I agree she looks too much like Roll (and even from an entirely objective POV I still like E-Call better).

I don't know if I will keep my vote with H or switch to E - coloring and the alterations to the design will win the day. I want a design departure from Megaman though, so F is right out in my opinion. (We all may have to vote E to stand a chance of winning, a split vote will doom E and H).

I have a feeling C is going to become either the boss fight in Call's stage or a Mighty Number in the sequel. Outside of the unicorn, that's too good of an idea to waste. The rest will probably wind up as either secondary characters or fanservice background entries.

I believe I heard something about only one illustrator submission for the nine we got.
And that illustrator had already done Roll Call, and chose that instead of Aero Call.

Or that might just be something people are saying. I don't know if it is confirmed, or not.

I wish they could have made an exception for pink haired Aero Call, though.
She would be popular. And I'd much rather see her win than Call E. Her whole design in general is very "cool" and combat oriented. And very fitting for someone getting their own single player combat stage.

Honestly, I like pink haired Aero Call much better than most of the designs presented for the official poll, anyway.

I'd much rather see Aero Call than Call C, but opinions.

Meia

I voted E not only because I liked her design, but because of the other pictures behind her showing off all of the differing emotions. It kind of isn't fair in that aspect as the background pictures or other ones could really help or hurt who you voted for.

Even if we're voting for Call though, I'd be disappointed if all 3 of the finalists aren't in the game in some form though. There's no reason why the game can't have multiple NPCs after all.

Teknoman

E looks cool, fits her name since she looks like a dispatcher of sorts, and could probably wreck stuff with a gun. Looking cute as well is a side bonus.

But then...you've got her character notes -

Call was not imbued with the human characteristics that make Beck unique, so she’s more of a pure robot

So maybe it doesnt fit?

because of the other pictures behind her showing off all of the differing emotions.
That's about the only thing I like about her design at all.

I like the idea of her being robotic, and I'm glad they made her an android rather than a human. But I'm worried they're making her too robotic.

I know it possibly goes against canon. But, to be honest, I feel like her characterization may still be open to changed. And I think and hope that comcept/Inti Creates have picked up on the fact that they want Call to have emotions. And that, while they want her to be an android, they won't want her to be overly robotic. It's clear to me that people want her to be just as "human" as Beck.

And, as long as it doesn't strongly go against their own creative vision, it would probably be a good thing to change her characterization to better reflect what the fans want.

I really wish those other designs had that kind of detail, as well. With a description in Japan and multiple facial expressions. I feel or hope at least, that they would have done a lot better in the polling. There's at least some segment of the E fanbase that clearly has been compelled, most of all, by this side of the drawing.
H886kDs.png

And that I totally understand and relate to. I don't like the idea of Call being an emotionless robot, either.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Terrible design.

I feel that you're being rather dramatic in this post, simply for the sake of: a) completely disregarding a vast fanbase that has a variety of opinions that may not be similar to yours, and b) I never got the impression that she was created for fanservice at all. It's awfully silly to come to this sort of conclusion and then go on to imply some sort of disparagement of a fanbase that will assuredly have markedly different opinions from each other as a whole given the expanse and depth series in general due to its different genres/different subseries/etc. That absolutely positively isn't fair to everyone else simply because they have a different opinion from your own.

Her hairstyle is certainly part of one of the styles that's been popular in Japan recently, sure, but that doesn't diminish the quality of her design, nor does it necessarily typecast her to be fanservice material. The design blueprint doesn't even signify that in the slightest. Maybe it's because that sort of stuff isn't directed towards me that that isn't the first thing that pops into my head whenever I look at a character design or a character description, but that was never my first thought when I looked at the design.

To me, I felt like the design was more professional, and it made the character her own sort of design. That's why I voted for it. It looked unique. It looked professional. The facial expression ideas in the background made her seem like she could take charge. Not only does she have the receiver to give hints during stages, she does look like she can be an attacker (albeit dressed formally). I think it would be great if she could exhibit that sort of classy femininity and take charge + have her own levels/playable mode. As a woman, I absolutely enjoy that sort of thing.

Design F, while I'd initially liked it when the Kickstarter was first revealed, truly does seem to go back to Ciel/Roll, and while that would be nice for some... to truly distinguish Mighty No. 9 from its predecessor, perhaps it would be more prudent to take some creative liberties here and there to make the game its own thing. It already is with playable Call, online modes, co-op, etc. So why not go for more changes while we're at it?

I never got the impression that she was created for fanservice at all.
She may not have, but she does look suspiciously similar to the "sexy flight attendant" archetype. And I'm not fond of it. I'm not being dramatic, I'm speaking my mind quite honestly.

From looking at the E fandom, the things some of them are saying and the fanart being made, I definitely get the feeling people are definitely picking up on and going with the "sexy flight attendant" vibe. I don't pretend to think that all fans of E like the same thing, though.

She's wearing a very form fitting, short dress that shows off her thigh area. So much so that if she bent over only slightly, it would show the entire world her panties. In fact, if she were to win, I don't know how they'd design her character that she wasn't giving panty shots all the time. They'd have to lengthen her dress. And I get the feeling that her dress is so form fitting as to show over her curvaceous figure.

She's also pretty much the only design that looks to be wearing high heels. Most of the others are wearing boots. So what if someone uses a wind weapon against her? How would her traction be? How would she avoid being blown away by a blast of wind?

It appears that the look is means to appear in ways "traditionally sexy" and "feminine" rather than functional. It is not a look I would call professional. Unless one is working for a boss that likes to engage in sexual harassment. You'd be hard pressed to find a respectable military sector that has their women dress that way. The only thing there that looks professional, specifically for a character who will be playable in combat, is her communicator device.

Yeah, some people were kind of perving on the top contenders for Call. To deny it is to be blind to a lot of "fanart".

I still think A fit the concept perfectly and matched Beck's design.

F will be fine though as the official Call.

Azure J

Excellent post. I especially loved the bits expressing a hope that Call will be more than the token "operator girl" and actually (humorously) take to the field. Not to say Call F wouldn't/couldn't do the same, but the look E has, while being evocative of Yoh Yoshinari style Gainax just looks like something that'd be a joy to watch animate/emote in game. I'm pretty strongly against the idea of her just being robotic and clerical and the images depicting her potential emotional states do so much more to portray her as her own individual.

The flight attendant hat is also a cute/charming touch.

Moonlight

Banned
She may not have, but she does look suspiciously similar to the "sexy flight attendant" archetype. And I'm not fond of it. I'm not being dramatic, I'm speaking my mind quite honestly.

From looking at the E fandom, the things some of them are saying and the fanart being made, I definitely get the feeling people are definitely picking up on and going with the "sexy flight attendant" vibe. I don't pretend to think that all fans of E like the same thing, though.

She's wearing a very form fitting, short dress that shows off her thigh area. So much so that if she bent over only slightly, it would show the entire world her panties. In fact, if she were to win, I don't know how they'd design her character that she wasn't giving panty shots all the time. They'd have to lengthen her dress. And I get the feeling that her dress is so form fitting as to show over her curvaceous figure.
Well, to address something, she's a robot.

I mean, I guess they could put panties on a robot but it's not like they have a lot to hide.

I dont want her to look like roll. Therefore I vote E.

Given how cold her personality apparently is, her design makes her seem like an operative of some sort, a calculating professional. I would love to see thus desogn in combat.

Teknoman

They could just have a black space or strategic animations. Its been done before.

Then again, since it'll be on a 2D plane, she'll be just fine. Also robot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not to diminish the effort put into your post, but I think you're overthinking this just a tad.

Given the Mega Man's general disposition for an E/E10+ rating, I kind of doubt that the developers would go for Idea Factory/Compile Heart-esque pantyshots (especially since she's a robot) or play around with her physics to support her heels with dodgy movement because that would be outright poor game design and not fun to deal with in general. Now making her slower, that would be interesting and would essentially deem it as a hard mode. Regardless, I'm not sure if they'd change the physics so dramatically to accommodate a fashion perk. I think the focus would be more on making the different modes different, and making the speeds different on a superficial level at best. Which is fine.

Perhaps the fanart community would go for that sort of thing (heck, every design would probably be subjected to the same scenario), but in terms of the game itself as a marketed product across different platforms seemingly for all age groups? I have a pretty good feeling that they certainly wouldn't go for that sorta stuff.

And I honestly don't mind the form-fitting stuff. I certainly do wear stuff like that when I workout, because it's easier to move in, and they're non-inhibiting. If it accentuates curves, then okay, women have curves. They're all shaped differently. Whatever. Regardless, the pose she's in for that one design template accentuates one hip. Most of the other designs have a similar curvy figure, so I'm not sure why you're being so disparaging towards E, specifically. Most of these designs seem to facilitate the hourglass figure, and E just makes it more obvious due to the pose.

Either way, I kinda think you're thinking a little too much about the fan response as opposed to what would be implemented in the game. The most important thing to me is if the game's fun, really, in terms of control and level design. Character design, while a nice idea for fan input because they do have a hand in the aesthetic, is probably not the most important part of a game's overall design template.

It already is with playable Call, online modes, co-op, etc. So why not go for more changes while we're at it?
Well, I am a Mega Man fan, and I did pledge because I am a Mega Man fan, so I certainly have my biases in favor of Mega Man, like many backers here.

But I run a bit along the logic of, "would it be good for Mega Man?".
If it is something good, or something I'd enjoy or like to see in a Mega Man game, I'd like and want to see it in Mighty No. 9. If it doesn't seem like something good, or at least something I'd like to see in a Mega Man game of some sort, I'm not overwhelmingly fond of it in Mighty No. 9.

Playable Roll is something I've always wanted in Mega Man games. And I've always never been satisfied with the fact it has never officially happened in the canon. And I've loved in it games such as Mega Man Powered Up. Also, games like Rokko Chan are a dream come true.

People have used it against "Roll Call" that Roll wasn't a particularly combat oriented character in Mega Man. But then all the greater to have a Roll-like character strong and brave and powerful in Mighty No. 9. We can rewrite history, so to speak. A new beginning where a character like Roll is brave and strong. Capcom had already gotten better at the gender representation in the franchise, with characters like Splash Woman in the original series, creating non-canon playable Roll roles, and playable protagonists like Aile in ZX. What better message to Capcom to say that we'd like playable Roll or something like that? Maybe many here wouldn't, but I certainly would. Especially after Roll's biggest, most canon heroic moment is
giving Rock a roboenza antidote.

Certainly many people have always wanted this sort of thing for Roll.
[yt]JHYHv-Cngx4[/yt]
Hyperlink goes here until I remember how to embed on NeoGAF.
[yt]c5GF69Em854[/yt]
Admittedly, playable Roll is pretty big wish-fullfillment for me, as well.

All of the things I've supported and would support in Mighty No. 9, are things I'd support in a Mega Man game in some way. Online Co-Op, a playable female character, all great things in a Mega Man game. I'd like to add that a playable female character isn't need to Mega Man, just Mega Man classic. Mega Man ZX has Aile.

I'd love to see these things in a Mega Man game.
But I'd hate it if Capcom made Roll into a "curvy flight attendant" type character for a new Mega Man game. And as much as I think classic Mega Man needs more female characters, I'm not sure how happy I'd be about such a character added to the cast.

Of course, I like the idea of "Roll Call" the best, but that's not my only reason for not liking the Call E design. I simply really don't like the design of Call E, more than any of the other proposed Call designs. There's plenty of designs that lost I would be plenty of comfortable with.

4ch6Or4.jpg

I like pretty much all of these designs better than Call E.

I also like all of the designs that just lost better than Call E.
Call A, B, C, D, G, and I, all would have been more appealing to me than Call E.
While I prefer Roll Call, I'm not completely averse to change.

itzy

The artwork of girls in the game is too cute.

I'm glad this movie hit the Vita strechmark. After Rayman Origins on Vita, I can't imagine playing this game on any other platform.

I'm not telling you who to vote for. I was just earlier expressing a little bit of disappointment in how popular Call E was. As I dislike the design for various good reasons.

And, instead of saying, "hey, I dislike this design just because". I attempted to explain my position.

As for ratings, I wouldn't be so sure about whatnot. It's amazing what some games can get away with. The Wayforward designs are also pretty curvy and sexualized. And I get the feeling that the majority of the reason that Skullgirls got its rating is violence.

Even if it doesn't show off panties. However they would or could pull that off. The design seems clearly sexualizing. And again I am not fond of it. As of right now, she has many of the design features that many Skullgirls characters have. And those features specifically that I don't like about the designs of many of the Skullgirls characters.

I would honestly, be a lot more fond of the design if it were made less sexualized seeming and more practical. Like giving her a proper pair of boots like the other designs have. And making her dress longer and less body-hugging.

Also, you think I'm overthinking this. But I'm having a hard time imagining how in some areas this wouldn't lead to a panty shot unless they went to lengths to make sure that happened. In reality, a dress like that would lead to frequently exposed panties. If they'd avoid panty-shots for rating, why use a design that puts them into a position that they need to avoid panty shots? If they go with a long skirt, that one less problem for them to have worry about.

Meia

I'm not telling you who to vote for. I was just earlier expressing a little bit of disappointment in how popular Call E was. As I dislike the design for various good reasons.

And, instead of saying, "hey, I dislike this design just because". I attempted to explain my position.

As for ratings, I wouldn't be so sure about whatnot. It's amazing what some games can get away with. The Wayforward designs are also pretty curvy and sexualized. And I get the feeling that the majority of the reason that Skullgirls got its rating is violence.

Even if it doesn't show off panties. However they would or could pull that off. The design seems clearly sexualizing. And again I am not fond of it. As of right now, she has many of the design features that many Skullgirls characters have. And those features specifically that I don't like about the designs of many of the Skullgirls characters.

I would honestly, be a lot more fond of the design if it were made less sexualized seeming and more practical. Like giving her a proper pair of boots like the other designs have. And making her dress longer and less body-hugging.

Also, you think I'm overthinking this. But I'm having a hard time imagining how in some areas this wouldn't lead to a panty shot unless they went to lengths to make sure that happened.

Chie from persona 4 is a kicking character in a skirt and you never once see anything. There's always ways to tastefully do anything, so I think this is largely a non-issue. @_@

Skirts are fine. Several of them have skirts.

Call E has pretty much the shortest one there. Even Call F's skirt is a little short for my tastes.
But it doesn't seem nearly as bad as Call E.

Chie, like most of the Call designs, has a perfectly normal skirt design that isn't nearly as short as Call E's.
Also Call H, whose design I'm not particularly fond of. Her skirt is perfectly reasonable sized, as well.
It's just Call E's dress that is particularly short.

Top Bottom