• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't really speak to a length preference, I'm not really looking at any of the designs from the standpoint of modesty or fashion style. It just looks out of place in the design to me. Like a curtain stapled to a car.

I have to agree with you. It's really not a matter of length. I just think D's skirt just looks plain, awkward, and purposeless.

The fanart is way better, but only because of her expressions and the creative use of her hair... not her clothes.

I voted for Call E, though I'd be happy with Call F, too. I don't care if they lengthen her skirt a bit to satisfy people who cry sexism. Her outfit and her expressions fit the role of a "Call" with personality. I imagine that a playable version of her would incorporate transformations and alternate outfits... they have a lot of creative freedom with 3D models, after all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

I want it to look like this :(

It might not look exactly like that, but it might look close.

People need to stop looking at the footage as a final product and read the giant red text on the bottom of the gif. That video was created with seven days of work.

Seven. Days.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the double post.

Gartooth

Voted for Call E and don't regret a thing. I'm OK with Call F too, in fact I was going to support that version of Call until I saw the design for E. Main factor that pushed me to E is that she looks like a character that can bring a lot of fun and personality to the game in regards to her conversations with Beck(yeah I know Comcept's description for what they want from Call, fuck that) and while I do like F, I just feel that she would be too much of a retread of Roll while E would represent a character we never got an equivalent of in the MM series.

DigiDom

I really liked design A, E and F but for some reason I'm really drawn to E and ended up voting for it in the end. I think it might just be the facial expressions that where drawn on the side of the picture but after seeing all the awesome fan art for all the other designs I'm not so sure any more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I really liked design A, E and F but for some reason I'm really drawn to E and ended up voting for it in the end. I think it might just be the facial expressions that where drawn on the side of the picture but after seeing all the awesome fan art for all the other designs I'm not so sure any more.

They also mentioned on the countdown stream that the artist had a couple pages full of alternate costumes/suits for Call E that they had to cut out because it would have been unfair in the voting process.

I want to see those designs!

More D art spotted. She's been getting a lot since the original voting ended.
"I-It's not like I'm sad about losing... or anything. G-Goodluck, everyone."

Now how does that make you feel?
Call D would vote for Call F. You should vote for Call F.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If Inafune had put half of the effort in his sketch as these fanarts cropping up AFTER voting, she might have stood a chance. Not really, but sorta.

Not sure what this says about me, but I didn't picture D as a blonde :p

I'd be fine with E in a knee-length power suit, heh.

Gameplay-wise, I think I'd be fine with the game playing like X/Zero or classic. Both could feel brisk, tight, and urgent. My biggest concern is how well they embrace the ability stealing. I want to see a return of stages that are affected by the order you defeat bosses, and lots of stage elements that are affected in different ways by boss abilities.

KoopaTheCasual

Whoever wins, can we not give her the same exact color palette as Roll? I swear, i feel like all fan art is obsessed with making Call a Roll clone -___-

How has Capcom not dropped the banhammer on that? Great idea, but still... the sort of stuff that make corporate lawyers drool for billable hours.

This used to be called MM10 actually, before the official game was announced and Capcom even used some of the assets of this project for the official site. This has been resolved since then, with the name changing to MegaMan Unlimited, but this shows that this wasn't even something that went under the radar until release.

Makes the claims about how Inafune could get successfully sued sound even more outlandish.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He did the same thing with the Legends 3 doodle he made. I'm sure he's super busy though.

Yeah, I'm sure he is, but I don't think anyone should be surprised that there wasn't as much support of D when the other options had so much more to work with.

Eusis

Whoever wins, can we not give her the same exact color palette as Roll? I swear, i feel like all fan art is obsessed with making Call a Roll clone -___-
I'd say pick F but give her orange hair or something. Which would probably go with that similar-but-not-the-same vibe we got with Beck anyway.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Actually um... it's not that good either from what I've seen :(

Great music for most stages (Rainbow Man and Comet Woman have horrible, horrible music), great enemy design, great boss design and great weapons. But it's kind of broken on a fundamental level. It's just not fun. I mean the atmosphere is outstanding but the stages are overlong and obviously made by non-professionals. By that, I mean that the platforming is poorly thought-out, enemy placement is horrid, and the game is a chore to play. It's a massive shame because the project obviously has both heart and talent...They just needed to make it fun, and failed. Horribly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had no idea this existed. It's so incredibly good :0 This is something Capcom should have published, not MMxSF, yuck.
Mega Man Unlimited also has its fair share of problems. Some of the level design seems to have been done for the sake of adding certain level tropes in, but they don't seem completely cohesive.

Yoku Man's stage is one of best examples of that. More irritating and poor level design in general than being a showcase of decent Mega Man level design. The stages are also longer than they should be. Clearly the developer really loves Mega Man, but they aren't completely well-versed in general Mega Man design over the past ten games in terms of length and adequate enemy placement and proper trope placement. If the stages were segmented that would be okay. It feels like you're playing 2-3 stages in one as opposed to one. The pacing just feels off, period. They outstay their welcome. It's just not fun.

Like, some of the romhacks do a better job like Rockman 4: Minus Infinity or Rockman 3 Alpha or something like that, just because they do have proper level pacing.

qq more

Great music for most stages (Rainbow Man and Comet Woman have horrible, horrible music), great enemy design, great boss design and great weapons. But it's kind of broken on a fundamental level. It's just not fun. I mean the atmosphere is outstanding but the stages are overlong and obviously made by non-professionals. By that, I mean that the platforming is poorly thought-out, enemy placement is horrid, and the game is a chore to play. It's a massive shame because the project obviously has both heart and talent...They just needed to make it fun, and failed. Horribly.

Yeah, that's the major issue about the game. The level design is not very good at all.

The game is originally rather unforgiving but easy mode brings it more in line with MM2/3. Really great overall. Leagues above MMxSF obviously.

My main issue with the game isn't the difficulty, it's the poor pacing, extremely lengthy levels and annoying enemy placement. Schala has already beaten me to this, but yeah.

RM8

I'll be perfectly honest, my super positive impressions came from the top-notch presentation and the difficulty.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It isn't necessarily difficult, but more like the difficulty comes from the poor level design and weird jumps. It's just weird platformer level design that makes it feel weird and makes the levels overstay their welcome due to the length, enemy positioning, and trope overuse.

If you want something with decent difficulty coming from skill with kickass boss fights and decent level design, I can't recommend Rockman 4: Minus Infinity or even Rockman no Constancy (MM2 romhack) enough. I might be a little biased because Mega Man 4 is my favourite, but Rockman 4: MI is legit my favourite MM romhack.

Kickz

I can confirm that Rayman is indeed an eyesplosion on Vita. I had played it before on PS3 & Wii U, but it was like I was looking at a completely different game on that screen. Just incredible.

This times a 1,000, I sold my PS3 version after trying Vita version

I wonder how many people want Call to be ´mighty no 0´ (along with her trusty C-saber) or want her to be her own thing? If we get Call F she would be great as MN0 (the hair) in maybe a red version of Beck 's outfit and ponytail going trough the helmet:)

Every time someone said they wanted a "Protoman-like" character for Mighty No. 9.
I kept thinking, "why not let Call fill the shoes of a character like that somewhat?". So no, I was thinking the exact same thing.

But then again, I'm biased in favor of female characters.

If the PayPal for Mighty No. 9 is still open. I assume that also means the rewards are still available.
This sounds like it might be a good time to grab another $250 reward. Before it is too late.

I would be happy if they just used the graphics from Megaman X4 / 8 / ZX ....those games looked great and were the epitome of 2D for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I wonder how many people want Call to be ´mighty no 0´ (along with her trusty C-saber) or want her to be her own thing? If we get Call F she would be great as MN0 (the hair) in maybe a red version of Beck 's outfit and ponytail going trough the helmet:)

I totally want her to normally be Roll Call when interacting with Beck throughout the game, but have an alter ego as Mighty No. 0. It can be a huge reveal when she takes off the helmet and those golden locks flow out.

Plenty, I'd wager.

If you want something with decent difficulty coming from skill with kickass boss fights and decent level design, I can't recommend Rockman 4: Minus Infinity or even Rockman no Constancy (MM2 romhack) enough. I might be a little biased because Mega Man 4 is my favourite, but Rockman 4: MI is legit my favourite MM romhack.

I remember beating Rockman No Constancy but not touching MI because I was under the assumption that it was unfinished at the time.
Tried it earlier today, I'm finding the reduced invincibility after getting hit really brutal, other than that it is as you described indeed.

If the PayPal for Mighty No. 9 is still open. I assume that also means the rewards are still available.
This sounds like it might be a good time to grab another $250 reward. Before it is too late.

Looks like the Paypal is open, but that tier is nowhere to be found.

Threi

notag
Every time someone said they wanted a "Protoman-like" character for Mighty No. 9.
I kept thinking, "why not let Call fill the shoes of a character like that somewhat?". So no, I was thinking the exact same thing.

But then again, I'm biased in favor of female characters.

That's part of why i like call F the most. She could fit the zero role just fine and looks like she can fight too (unlike call E)

Looks like the Paypal is open, but that tier is nowhere to be found.
Ah, that's too bad. I'll have to grab another tier, then.
They did a good job of making her look badass and capable. But I'd still enjoy that picture more if it were Call F there doing it.

Talented drawing, though. No questioning that. I also like the color scheme they've chosen for her dress.

Speaking of design favoritism and comprises and so forth, I wouldn't mind a compromise such as this.
I'm more than just a little bit creeped out by the eyes. And I still prefer Call F's ponytail to Call E's sidetail. And headphones rather than communicator device.

But this sort of thing has some of the best of both worlds for me. I really like the fact she has Cal F's boots. Among many other things. If only the face didn't creep me out quite so much.

I feel like this voting could be a little more complex than we currently have. I feel like people would be more likely to vote for all sorts of things if more options were given. A lot of fans really would like pink haired Call back. And I feel like a lot of the older designs would be a lot popular if they were altered ever so slightly, or got a better variety of official art.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What does this proves? That people can make fanart about anything?

She can fight just fine. If you don't think she can, that's your fault.

Speaking of design favoritism and comprises and so forth, I wouldn't mind a compromise such as this.

I'd be okay with that. Honestly, I like design F a lot. And I like this composite drawing, too. I think that I prefer the side ponytail and headset. Those are probably my favorite parts of E's design. So, the composite is pretty perfect to me.

wilflare

I'm tying to increase my KS pledge... hope the PayPal option actually allows me to do that (hoping to increase from $40 to $60)

Top Bottom