• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

FLAguy954

$200,000 reached in hours! I already pledged $20. So ladies and gentleman:

jim%2Bcarrey.jpg

I'm saying there's a real chance here lol

sonicmj1

I'm not super crazy about Mega Man style games, but I love 2 Player's work so far on the Doublefine Kickstarter. I'll definitely back once that stretch goal hits, or gets close.

I'm sure they knew people still cared for Megaman, just not enough to satisfy their pocketbooks. This is still chump change to them.

200k in less than 4 hours... 900k (easily) to fund initial development... plus the fact that it's going to be, you know, sold after it's made. Don't be confused by the early state of the kickstarter, by the time this project is completed it's probably a 5 million+ project at least.

(edit) That is, this project overall will make Inafune's Comcept millions of dollars. 5 mill over all is very low ball. A lot of people won't touch this on kickstarter, but will gladly imbibe once it's on steam. Even more if it hits the big 3's digital platforms on top of that (2.5million stretch goals are VERY accomplishable)

hupla

Hoping to be able to afford the Enemy plush tier close to the end of this but either way im backing the heck outta it

duckroll

200k in less than 4 hours... 900k (easily) to fund initial development... plus the fact that it's going to be, you know, sold after it's made. Don't be confused by the early state of the kickstarter, by the time this project is completed it's probably a 5 million+ project at least.

You know what 5 million is to Capcom? 100k in sales. Lol.

SparkTR

Judging by other Kickstarters it'll probably top out at $3.5million, which is a lot for an indie but still chump change to publishers. What matters to them is how much it sells after it releases.

TheMink

Really really hoping for next gen versions. I think the console names are placeholders anyway just to illustrate. i mean the game comes out in 2015... its going to be for next gen haha

Judging by other Kickstarters it'll probably top out at $3.5million, which is a lot for an indie but still chump change to publishers. What matters to them is how much it sells after it releases.

Editted above. And again, if it reaches 3.5 million on kickstarter, then that's still only a PORTION of the earning potential.

As for a few million being "chump change" to capcom... It could be part of a greater strategy to push smaller titles. Something I'm still amazed a lot of developers aren't doing with the success of so many indie titles.

TreIII

The only thing I think is somewhat "sad", about this, though?

This KS being an inevitable success will probably be the only indicator Capcom may seriously look at to see that there is an actual demand for more MM among gamers. And all it took was Inafune+Comcept being "guinea pigs" and showing them how true that is through the only way the suits understand: how much $$$ people are willing to pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkLvpt9Z3fA My thread anthem.

This is gonna be a massive "Fuck you" to Capcom once it reaches its goal (considering the current rate, it will). I'm not a big fan of Megaman, but the letdown with MML3 for hardcore fans was brutal.

I'm just gonna end up calling this 'Not-Megaman', though.

If it's successful enough, you can bet Capcom will follow this up with a "real" mega man game. Only a couple months left in MM's 25th anniversary celebration... still waiting for those "big" announcements Capcom promised us last year.

IrishNinja

"chump change" now, eh? so capcom's not beeing looking for the next franchise to whore out to another developer? let's not play down the potential here, especially to a company who launched initiatives like Unity just to not have something like this happen to them, presumably

Capcom Japan said it too? I remember Euro saying this

uJ4V976.jpg

Never forget

should totally go in the OP

Seeing how fast kickstarters such as this get funded never ceases to amaze me.

The main theme is awesome. I'll back it as soon as I get paid.

Vamphuntr

I hope you guys are not taking the 5+ millions on kicktraq as expectation about how it will do lol. To get a good trend you usually need to wait a few days. Dyack's game was tracking in millions of dollars after the first few hours and we all know how it ended.

atbigelow

Mega Man Legends 3 cancellation caused Inafune to quit confirmed, it seems. What a fucking kick in the nuts that was to everyone.

Gonna back when I got the scratch.

Holy shit that main theme kicks ass. Considering the composer, it shouldn't be a surprise, but when it got to the chorus my smile turned into something of a painful grin.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I was referring to limited rewards. I.e., you have to spend 19,999 to get dinner and a boss 3d model.
Doing the "add additional money to get other rewards" doesn't appear to be an option for this kickstarter, so that's not how it would work either. (a good thing, IMO, because that approach can create some serious fulfillment issues.)

If the rewards stacked, they'd have to handle it in two ways:

1.) Keep the numbers the same. This means there would be 22 backers who could be scattered across the world that Comcept would need to schedule individual video conferences with for the enemy design. 72 people with faces in the game. 122 people with sounds in the credits. That is a lot of people to attempt to wrangle and a lot of content to attempt to cram in.

2.) Reduce the number of total slots. But wait—for one, there are actually fewer slots for the enemy design than there are slots for lunch with Inafune. So that could mean only a few extremely high rollers would be able to contribute enemy designs...? Either way, this approach would result in fewer backers having a much stronger influence over the final game.

If it still rubs you the wrong way, okay. But I really think the limited rewards are just a combination of logistic feasibility and wanting the greatest number of people to have their voices heard.

SkyOdin

Wow. If Inticreates is on board then this is isn't a Megaman knock-off, it is the real deal. They are the guys who made the best games in the Megaman franchise. I... need to back this, don't I?

What are the chances that Capcom would sue Inafune over this Kickstarter? It looks like more or less a complete Megaman ripoff.

the whole scenario reminds me of

agentamerica.jpg

Rob Liefeld was hired by Marvel to do a run on Captain America. He sucked. IIRC they fired him prematurely so he created this comic as a way to get all his Cap ideas out and Marvel sued.

Wow. If Inticreates is on board than this is isn't a Megaman knock-off, it is the real deal. They are the guys who made the best games in the Megaman franchise. I... need to back this, don't I?

Yes and yes. All of the right people are working on this game in every aspect (Megaman Creator, Mega man boss designer, Mega Man composer, etc). This will be the best Mega Man game in ages even if it doesn't have the license.

Top Bottom