• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

FLAguy954

Sorry if I'm late
G2XSZYg.png

Would you mind doing a "only for snes" mod on that image for me?

the whole scenario reminds me of

agentamerica.jpg

Rob Liefeld was hired by Marvel to do a run on Captain America. He sucked. IIRC they fired him prematurely so he created this comic as a way to get all his Cap ideas out and Marvel sued.

But DC didn't sued for Supreme (Superman clone), where it got a lot of rep thanks of Alan Moore as writter.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This was announced when my flight took off. Now I've landed and you're telling me they've raised 200k?

HO

LY

SHIT

PaulloDEC

Absolutely more like MMPU. Check the video at 4:07 for a preliminary model of Beck:

8bFUggt.jpg

Just as a heads-up to anyone who saw that mockup screenshot and got the idea that the game will be 2D ala Skullgirls or Rayman Origins/Legends*. That is not the case.

* there are some 3D elements in Legends that use painterly textures to blend in better with the 2D sprites; I don't think there's gonna be much of that in M#9 either

itL58sunaeMYJ.gif

Weapon morph!

epmode

What are the chances that Capcom would sue Inafune over this Kickstarter?

Guys, this almost never happens. Not even for the most blatant clones. And on the rare occasions that a suit was filed, I can't think of any cases where the court ruled for the prosecution.

Busaiku

I'm honestly surprised people think this won't even break the $900,000.
If Keep Skullgrils Growing can hit $1.7 million, I would actually be really surprised if this doesn't hit $2.5 million.

Jubern

I'm not even a Mega Man fan, barely played any game in the series, but I'm really happy for you guys as this looks slick as hell.

Vamphuntr

Really excited for this. April 2015 is so far away T.T . Pretty nice that Inafune got back on his feet and he's now making a game he wanted to make. Time for Matsuno to make a kickstarter with a good team too!

awesome

so, who won?

I think Liefeld ended up having to change the name or something. I want to say he went out and bought an oldass comic IP called Fighting American and named it that.

That said, as blatant as some of this stuff is with Mighty no. 9 (and frankly I wish it weren't so blatant, it sort of cheapens it for me) I don't think Capcom will sue.

Regiruler

I always felt that main character design was one of the weaker aspects of megaman and I feel like it's being repeated here. Not a fan of primary character design style, although I like the bosses.

Will consider backing $20.

Capcom won't shut this down... they don't need the negative publicity going into the next gen. This isn't a small fan project, this is the ex-creator of a ton of many fan loved series of Capcom.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Thanks for the gif Paulo! Hopefully more people will see that and start quoting it instead of the mockup art...

awesome

so, who won?
There was a settlement. The character was barred from throwing his shield.

...I think it's slightly too early to determine if this comparison is valid or not. I haven't played every single MM game, but I sure don't remember any full-body transformations...just minor armor tweaks and palette swaps. I kiiinda hope they get a bit further away from Roll and any scrapped MML3 companion designs when it comes to Call though...
unless that means rockabilly brown girl is in, I'd be down with that

Just came back home and decided to see how much the project got, and its almost 225k. Anc Capcpom still wonder if people are interested in a new Mega Man game.

I think Liefeld ended up having to change the name or something. I want to say he went out and bought an oldass comic IP called Fighting American and named it that.

This he did. He changed the design of FA's shield and dropped the mask (per court order) and made Bucky female. I bought the first issue and it was completely forgettable.

Kokonoe

Banned
That would be like Nintendo suing Capcom for Mega Man because in Metroid you shoot with an arm cannon and both Samus and Mega wear helmets and jump.

I doubt Capcom would try to shut this down unless they just plain hate Inafune and Mega Man fans.

Shit.

Do you think Capcom would have allowed Sakurai to put Megaman in Super Smash Bros if they did? I understand there is a narrative that Capcom is going out of their way to oppress Megaman fans, but that's simply not the case.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Do you think Capcom would have allowed Sakurai to put Megaman in Super Smash Bros if they did? I understand there is a narrative that Capcom is going out of their way to oppress Megaman fans, but that's simply not the case.

Yes, and I'm not part of that fanbase. Licensing out Mega Man was just a business decision, it has nothing to do with like or hate.

vulva

I bet 20 bucks to anyone that this reaches 900k by 12am Sept 2 PST.

If I win, you can just pre-order a copy for me from KS, if I lose I can paypal you or whatever

Backed with $40.
Seems like much of the old classic Mega Man crew is involved, which I like very much.

Maybe their next game will be "Mighty Legend No. 3" for 3DS hahahahaha...ha...ha.... Please do it :(

Sponge

Banned
This is going to be my first pledge.

I kinda wanna ignore Mega Man in general now though, but Mega Man in Smash makes that hard.

Pachael

Backed in no time. The Day 1 kickstarter is so well done and organised properly, even taking into account some of the potential pitfalls (costs, timeline, personnel, etc).

Hopefully this hits the target very quickly.

Yes, and I'm not part of that fanbase. Licensing out Mega Man was just a business decision, it has nothing to do with like or hate.

Getting Capcom's approval for Mega Man was easy, to hear Sakurai tell it.

"We approached Capcom with the idea and they were very favorable and open to it," he said.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Again, I don't think Capcom has some irrational hatred towards Megaman. Just to compare, Sega initially said no to Sonic being in Brawl when Sakurai requested.

Top Bottom