• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

ezekial45

Banned
I hope this does well and lights a fire under capcoms ass.

I hope so too, that could be another great thing to come of this. But a part of me feels like they're just gonna abandon Mega Man entirely out of spite, since the executives at Capcom clearly had it out for Inafune. Even when he was giving in to their western dev focused demands.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Again, I don't think Capcom has some irrational hatred towards Megaman. Just to compare, Sega initially said no to Sonic being in Brawl when Sakurai requested.

Companies like Capcom and Sega like to maintain the image of an IP or character they're actively using and that same quote could be used to argue that Capcom has no real intention of touching the series anytime soon. Again, licensing him out really has nothing to do with like or hate toward anything.

yeah those lost 50k sales will really make them look like idiots

50k * $20 = 1 million. 2.5 million for game stretch goals would be over 100k... before the game even actually goes on sale.

I think people sometimes forget that kickstarter is the BEGINNING of sales, not the end.

Ban Puncher

cp8kc.gif

vulva

50k * $20 = 1 million. 2.5 million for game stretch goals would be over 100k... before the game even actually goes on sale.

I think people sometimes forget that kickstarter is the BEGINNING of sales, not the end.

Your math is just as off as mine. Your math doesn't even account for higher tiers. Like tke 10k raised off dinner with inafune.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
yeah those lost 50k sales will really make them look like idiots

The game can still sell outside of Kickstarter. Plus it's not like their bigger releases like lost planet 3 and remember me are doing anything higher.

vulva

The game can still sell outside of Kickstarter. Plus it's not like their bigger releases like lost planet 3 and remember me are doing anything higher.

what do the later sales have to do with the 2.5 million number being currently discussed. Capcom would look like idiots based off un-accounted for but predicted sales?

I pledged $60 since $50 is usually my "sweet spot" when it comes to backing stuff, but I kinda want to put in a little more. Maybe in a week, or two, I'll see what happens.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP

I thought this was a prank or something at first. Then I watched the video, and HOLY CRAP.

I'm in for $60. Please please PLEASE let this get funded. I want this so badly.

Edit: Nevermind, had to go for the $99 tier.

GOOD LUCK INAFUNE!!!

MilkBeard

I'm sorry but 900k is a joke. Backers are crazy. This whole project budget is a biiig joke.

Looking on their FAQ, they basically say that the expense of the game will be higher, but Comcept/their partners are providing some of the budget cost, and depending on how much money they can raise from Kickstarter, they will provide more.

Seems pretty legit to me. Besides... "you make games?" etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think Liefeld ended up having to change the name or something. I want to say he went out and bought an oldass comic IP called Fighting American and named it that.

That said, as blatant as some of this stuff is with Mighty no. 9 (and frankly I wish it weren't so blatant, it sort of cheapens it for me) I don't think Capcom will sue.

Wikipedia says you're half correct.

That is super super pretty.

Too bad that's not how the game will actually look because it's using 3D models like Street Fighter 4 did. Blech. I'd of probably suffered an Inafune game if the game actually looked like that shot.

Companies like Capcom and Sega like to maintain the image of an IP or character they're actively using and that same quote could be used to argue that Capcom has no real intention of touching the series anytime soon. Again, licensing him out really has nothing to do with like or hate toward anything.

Apparently what I'm trying to say is not coming across clearly. I'm not talking about Capcom's plans or opinions on the near/long term future of Megaman titles. What I am saying is the idea that Capcom is on a quest to shut down Megaman at every turn is overreaction from the community.

Some good driving force behind this game and it may be the first Kickstarter I really want to get involved in.

Also, I love how blatantly inspired the characters are, including the Mega Man Legends 3 girl.

Soul4ger

I'm going to pledge $250, this will likely be my first and only Kickstarter. Video and MN9 theme song gave me chills.

sn00zer

Kinda miffed he decided to make "Colossal Boy" instead of a new IP....I have no doubt it will be great, but comes off very Gamelofty

Finalizer

So I've come back from about an hour's long walk to find the amound pledged to have gone up ~$150K.

Guise, do you think this'll hit the goal???

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm going to pledge $250, this will likely be my first and only Kickstarter. Video and MN9 theme song gave me chills.

Good shit. I'm at $99, but I wouldn't be surprised if I go up to $250 by the end of this...

PaulloDEC

I'm sorry but 900k is a joke. Backers are crazy. This whole project budget is a biiig joke.

So keeping in mind that they have to pay each of their experienced staff members (totalling at least eleven people) a decent wage, what do you think would be an acceptable budget for a 3D-rendered sidescroller like this one?

So I've come back from about an hour's long walk to find the amound pledged to have gone up ~$150K.

Guise, do you think this'll hit the goal???

With $250,000 earned on the first day alone, I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

I've backed it and can't wait, love that it's coming to PC.

One thing though. I'm all for lighting a fire under Capcom's ass for bonehead decisions but please be aware of where you're slinging the vitriol. Capcom community manager Brett Elston is one of the biggest Mega Man fans in the industry and KNOWS of the unjust shit that has happened to the franchise and character. No need to smear this in his face because, as evidenced by his previous work before joining Capcom, he is with you guys. It's just that a community manager doesn't get to say if a game gets made or cancelled, and the fans attacking the wrong Capcom guys on places like Twitter just come of as ignorant children.

There are boneheads at Capcom who need a reality check from Mighty No. 9 and I hope this wakes those complacent assholes up. But here's a hint: they probably aren't on Twitter or any social media and community forums. Just speak with your dollar and make this Kickstarter huge.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Apparently what I'm trying to say is not coming across clearly. I'm not talking about Capcom's plans or opinions on the near/long term future of Megaman titles. What I am saying is the idea that Capcom is on a quest to shut down Megaman at every turn is overreaction from the community.

I'm pretty sure most people saying Capcom's gonna sue or try to shut this down are joking. I'm just saying I don't think Mega Man being in SSB really changes anything from the fans point of view about Capcom and the IP.

Top Bottom