• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Hesemonni

Banned
That Sony guy who wanted tweets of games that need to be on Sony platforms needs to hear about this. First PS3/PS4/Vita cross buy thingie?

cafemomo

Fug it, was going to back on Tuesday but I wanna see this take off. Just backed. I still have a soft spot for Megaman and despite Inafune's recent deluded westabooism he is still a top notch guy.

botty

Banned
Considering that people are stumbling over themselves to fund this project, its pretty clear that people want more of this experience. It has nothing to do with how many versions are out there. Capcom doesn't want to make a real Mega Man game for whatever reason. Inafune's tried several times since he left Capcom to get another MM game made. Capcom doesn't want to do it, so Inafune's doing this instead.

I don't see what the point of getting upset about this is. If anything, the lack of MM's assets make this an event better prospect because it makes Inafune change some of his perspectives on the genre he basically created. Completely transforming the main character's appearance and abilities with different weapons opens up all sorts of new awesome possibilities in gameplay.

If its not your thing, that's fine. Just don't come in here to complain. I'm sure there's another thread in this massive forum that has something more to your liking.

Mega Man 10 came out 3 years ago... are the fans looking for yearly releases?

I thought 9 and 10 sold?

Any game can sell. The true question is whether or not it can sell enough to generate interest in making more games. Capcom, being the money lovers that they are... would surely have been pushing their Mega Man classic sequels out if they were bringing in the bacon. Well, I would assume so.

So clearly this isn't a project you're interested in, and that's fine.

No need to shit on it, though, since obviously there are quite a few people who are interested. Especially if the speed it's getting funded at is any indication. And I'm sorry you feel that wanting to be able to work on the spiritual successor to something you put your heart and soul into for years, but can't actually work on yourself because someone else owns the IP, makes him "unoriginal". I don't know if you've ever created anything that you're personally attached to, but I suspect you haven't, because if you did you'd probably understand.

I'm not shitting on the project. I'm sure the game will be fun, exciting, and all that jazz for those who backed it/will play it. My only beef was with Inafune, whom I was expecting to deliver some different and unique experiences after leaving Capcom.

Oh, wow. I really hope they can hit that target, those are some high quality assets. I also really hope they hit the multiplat stretch goals, at least the Mac/Linux one.

yeah, That console version aint happening without a miracle (Hey Nintendo....since you are doing Capcom's job by making Mega Man playable in a (Smash)game how bout you complete the trip into old school NES Nostalgia and help get this on the eshop)

Thanks for not giving up on 2D Inafune. Hit that target render!

qq more

Mega Man 10 came out 3 years ago... are the fans looking for yearly releases?

No but we certainly did not expect every single game to be cancelled in favor of some crappy iOS games.

I'm not shitting on the project. I'm sure the game will be fun, exciting, and all that jazz for those who backed it/will play it. My only beef was with Inafune, whom I was expecting to deliver some different and unique experiences after leaving Capcom.
If I'm not mistaken, Inafune has already made some games or is already working on some. Wasn't there a penguin pirate game?

Dead Rising and Onimusha?

Busaiku

If I'm not mistaken, Inafune has already made some games or is already working on some. Wasn't there a penguin pirate game?

He made Soul Sacrifice and Bugs vs Tanks so far.
Supposedly that Penguin Pirate game is still around, but we have like nothing for it.
I think he's working on a Ninja Gaiden game or something now as well.

sephi22

I might get slaughtered for saying this but I consider myself a big Megaman fan and I didn't like the concept of Megaman 9 and 10.

Sure, I understand that Megaman 2 and 3 are amazing games, but I want to play an evolved/updated Megaman rather than a throwback to the old games. Perhaps I'm not alone on this. I would have much preferred a Bionic Rearmed treatment given to Megaman than what we got with 9 and 10.

For me, the last proper Megaman games was Megaman X6, and that itself wasn't very good. If we're counting remakes, then Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were the last proper Megaman games. And they were pretty good.

This seems right up my alley.

Lucent

Want. Fuck you Capcom.

lol! This is pretty much my reaction.

I love how he got away from them and then is like "I might not be able to make more Mega Man games, but I can make my own Mega Man game. =D"

I hope it turns out great. The concept art looks awesome. I want the artbook.

Kokonoe

Banned
I might get slaughtered for saying this but I consider myself a big Megaman fan and I didn't like the concept of Megaman 9 and 10.

Sure, I understand that Megaman 2 and 3 are amazing games, but I want to play an evolved/updated Megaman rather than a throwback to the old games. Perhaps I'm not alone on this. I would have much preferred a Bionic Rearmed treatment given to Megaman than what we got with 9 and 10.

For me, the last proper Megaman games was Megaman X6, and that itself wasn't very good. If we're counting remakes, then Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were the last proper Megaman games. And they were pretty good.

This seems right up my alley.

I certainly agree with what you said (although I haven't played X6 yet). However, 9 and 10 were pretty huge let downs for me. Not because they were bad games, they just felt rather shallow. I wanted a "new" Mega Man game and not more of the 8bit stuff. Mechanically, graphically, and music-wise, I wanted a sequel that felt like a progression for the series instead of a step back.

Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were pretty darn amazing, though. If only they were released later as HD remakes they would have been insanely popular.

That track is from the album "We are ROCK-MEN", from Capcom's Sound Team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8j_YUq_Vcs

Thank you very much, kind sir.

botty

Banned
When was the last time a Mega Man game was made.

The last classic mega man game released was in 2010.

No but we certainly did not expect every single game to be cancelled in favor of some crappy iOS games.

With the games cancelled, do you believe they appealed to all Mega man fans..or are the fan bases split between the different games in the franchise?

And as for the penguin game... was there anything more than a trailer released?

Dead Rising and Onimusha?

Post Capcom.

ash_ag

I don't even know what to say. I'm in for basically every single reason possible. Now I need to charge my card.

I have no doubt on my mind that this will reach at least 1500000, which is awesome, because a New Game Plus and a Turbo Mode are brilliant ideas. I'll be happy with a Linux version, but I'm also crossing my fingers about console ones.

In Inafune we trust!

Busaiku

All but vanished.
Marvelous actually wants it to be a big media project or something.

Is 5 years between games of similar nature not a reasonable expectation?
Post Capcom.

He made Soul Sacrifice and Bugs vs Tanks so far.
Supposedly that Penguin Pirate game (Kaio) is still around, but we have like nothing for it. It's based on Romance of the 3 Kingdoms.
I think he's working on a Ninja Gaiden game or something now as well.

qq more

And we still haven't heard word from another new Mega Man game and somehow I have a feeling we won't see one for a long time.

With the games cancelled, do you believe they appealed to all Mega man fans..or are the fan bases split between the different games in the franchise?

And as for the penguin game... was there anything more than a trailer released?
In that case then why haven't they attempted at making a game to appeal to the majority of the fanbase??

I haven't really followed it, but kind of sucky to hear they haven't done much since then... :/

Soul4ger

That Sony guy who wanted tweets of games that need to be on Sony platforms needs to hear about this. First PS3/PS4/Vita cross buy thingie?

This is a pretty brilliant idea. Someone get that guy on the horn. This game has got to be like a perfect example of what they're looking for at Sony.

botty

Banned
Is 5 years between games of similar nature not a reasonable expectation?

It isn't. But I am not sure what point you're trying to get across here. I was merely wondering what was so bad about Mega Man 10, that Inafune couldn't evolve the series from there? I can only guess the games did not sell enough for Capcom to want to invest further in the series outside of safe bets... like the above mentioned ios game.

Busaiku

It isn't. But I am not sure what point you're trying to get across here. I was merely wondering what was so bad about Mega Man 10, that Inafune couldn't evolve the series from there? I can only guess the games did not sell enough for Capcom to want to invest further in the series outside of safe bets... like the above mentioned ios game.

Just saying that with this, he'd be filling a void that people have been clamoring for, and he pretty much said that's why he's doing it.
He is working on other stuff as well.

Chindogg

If you want an evolution of the series, its clear that his design ideas for MN9 are radically different from the original formula. Acquiring new weapons and abilities through not only bosses but enemies as well opens up all sorts of new gameplay possibilities.

Just keep an open mind with this.

botty

Banned
And we still haven't heard word from another new Mega Man game and somehow I have a feeling we won't see one for a long time.

In that case then why haven't they attempted at making a game to appeal to the majority of the fanbase??

I haven't really followed it, but kind of sucky to hear they haven't done much since then... :/

Once Capcom sees this getting backed, I'm sure a Mega Man game will be rushed into development.

And as for them making a game that appeals to the majority, I would think games like Mega Man 10 would, but without the sales data it is impossible to know for sure.

qq more

We just want a new Mega Man game and that's what we're getting.

Once Capcom sees this getting backed, I'm sure a Mega Man game will be rushed into development.

And as for them making a game that appeals to the majority, I would think games like Mega Man 10 would, but without the sales data it is impossible to know for sure.
...I'll be fine with this. Mighty No. 9 making an impact enough to get us a new Mega Man game!

Neki

900k, really? Shovel knight is happening on a 75k target.

So let's say he had put the budget to 100k, and it inflated to 1.5 million after all the backing was said and done. How is that different from now, where the budget is 900k, and it inflates to 1.5 million dollars in backing?

Kokonoe

Banned
Late on a Saturday while everyone is either out or asleep and we're already at 300,000$. Welp, guess I don't have to worry about this getting funded anymore.

I'm in for $60, but I'll have to back out at the end if they don't get to the last stretch goal. Wii U is the only thing I would be able to play it on.

botty

Banned
Well, I hope this gets funded and the Mega man fans get what they've been looking for. Lord knows this fan base has been through hell.

mjontrix

I'm in for $60, but I'll have to back out at the end if they don't get to the last stretch goal. Wii U is the only thing I would be able to play it on.

I'm certain one of the hidden goals is a 3DS/PS Vita/ OUYA (or equivalent) stretch, and I assume after the consoles would be an android/iOS stretch.

If you ONLY have a Wii U though - you'll be busy this month getting alot of support... But I'm guessing it'll cruise past 1mil easily, then reach 2mil near the end and could surpass 3mil with ALOT of media attention...

Top Bottom