• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

I'm in for $250. Highest amount of money I have ever contributed to a Kickstarter by FAR.

I wont be shocked if one of the stretch goals involves ditching the Japanese team for some infinitely superior western one (Double Helix).

I cant see myself giving cash to Inafune, sorry. Great pitch video, its the best one by far.
not sure if trolling

I am sure Capcom is jealous that Inafune can use kickstarter for most of the development cost of a Mega Man type of game and probably sell a lot more copies than they were doing the last times.

I think I am in for the 40 dollar reward as I would love the soundtrack which would be the highest I have spent on kickstarter. Mega Man 10 soundtrack was a lot better than 9 so I am confident that I will enjoy it for this game too. All of this is hard to resist when Mega Man is your favourite francise. I am glad that Inafune manage to get old team members together, but I will say that the choice of director is interesting since he hasn't proved himself yet.

Would love to contribute to design of bosses but I probably would be too lazy to even try.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Maybe its the original vision, that just wasnt possible on NES and SNES.

The artwork back then was fairly close to the in-game sprites. Although, I don't know what the process was. Was the artwork made simple knowing that the sprites would have to be simple? Or was it the style Capcom wanted anyway?

Besides, I don't care much what their original vision is or was. When we played and loved MM, we didnt think "oh boy, I love the fact that it's the developer's original vision!" From the player/consumer's perspective, what's important is what they get, regardless of what the developer intended. That's why I was always puzzled by Inafune's statement that MM3 is his most disappointing MM game. Are you kidding me? It shouldn't be, because people love everything about it and it sold very well.

tumblr_msfgpqPEU51rujp4jo1_r2_500.jpg

ash_ag

will not support because he make the last stretch goal the Consoles ver.

And it's impossible to reach 2.5 millon !!!
It's currently trending towards 5m. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/
Obviously, this isn't an accurate projection of any kind, but we're talking double the stretch goal, which says a lot.

Also, the fanart is great. Archie artist drawing Rock and Not-Rock specifically is beyond awesome. I'm hoping he'll be able to hide some cross-universal reference or something in an issue.

From the stretch goals I really hope Turbo mode gets put in. The next stretch goal should be a documentary as I would love to follow the development team so I hope they get over 2 million on this.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What's up with people saying this looks too anime? PSX-era MM/MMX was full of anime cutscenes, great art direction.

Well, I might be in the minority on this one (on GAF at any rate), but I don't think PSX-era MMX games had great style... The designs started to get uglier and goofier by MMX2, and the PSX just added an ugly artstyle on top of that.

Then again I'm cranky about Mega Man, and I shit on games like MM Legends which people on GAF seem to love so much :p.

I guess all I'm asking for is designs that have a shot at becoming classic/timeless rather than a product of their time. Just as technology for technology's sake ages poorly, so does style for style's sake.

Wasn't Inafune complaining about stagnation in the japanese game community? Now he's making a shameless remake of his old series? lol.

The art looks great, so theres that.

I know this is gonna anger a lot of the posters in this thread, but Inafune is basically a washed-up, overrated producer who gets credit for far more than he actually contributed, and was the champion for the very policy that people hate Capcom for (outsourcing their games to mediocre Western developers).

But if a violinist can get funding for his "JRPG Revival" RTS game, I don't see why Inafune can't. At least he has some pedigree.

I know this is gonna anger a lot of the posters in this thread, but Inafune is basically a washed-up, overrated producer who gets credit for far more than he actually contributed, and was the champion for the very policy that people hate Capcom for (outsourcing their games to mediocre Western developers).

But if a violinist can get funding for his "JRPG Revival" RTS game, I don't see why Inafune can't. At least he has some pedigree.

So... which games did Inafune "outsource to a mediocre Western developer"?

Soule

Just found out about this! This is so exciting, happy for all the long suffering Megaman fans out there. Really liking the aesthetic and thinking that their stretch goal set up doesn't sound so crazy after reading another post... entirely possible that if they don't reach the $2.5m and the game is positively received that a more traditional deal can be struck to bring the game to consoles (still being a mainly PC gamer that grew up on Megaman this is just happy overload atm!)

The shipping costs for outside the US are a bit on the pricy side if you live in Canada. (Normal shipping between the two countries is usually never that much.) I wish more Kickstarters would take that into consideration. :/

Wow, maybe some people that can draw can get a Miiverse campaign going on to promote the game.

Well I'm speaking for myself here but it was really learning that Inti-Creates is the dev team what got me hooked. Inafune is nice and all since he has the vision, but the actual developers is what's most important to me.

JDSN

Banned
has the man kicked your puppy or something?
In a way yes, Capcom was my favorite studio and putting him in a leadership role was instrumental to their current obsession with outsourcing their good stuff to shitty western devs while giving the middle finger to their talent. The problem with telling to your bosses that japanese devs are insipid is that at some point they are gonna believe it and fire your ass.

And now he makes a pitch for a Megaman, a creation that wasn't even his, with six levels, no early bird tiers, with console version goals purposively positioned at the higher goal, with a bullshit release date with a vague pitch that paints him as the last defender of classic japanese gaming?

No thanks, I already backed Shovel Knight for half of the entry price for what he is asking.

I don't agree with you 100%, but as excited as I am about this game it truly is hilarious that he left Capcom to pursue new ideas and is now really just remaking his most famous game (which Capcom already let him remake with MM.Powered Up).

This the same Infaune who shit on his own mentor Okamoto as lacking imagination and honor for leaving Capcom after they wanted him to do Onimusha 2 and then starting his own company just to make an Onimusha clone with Genji.
What goes around, comes around eh?

In a way yes, Capcom was my favorite studio and putting him in a leadership role was instrumental to their current obsession with outsourcing their good stuff to shitty western devs while giving the middle finger to their talent. The problem with telling to your bosses that japanese devs are insipid is that at some point they are gonna believe it and fire your ass.

And now he makes a pitch for a Megaman, a creation that wasn't even his, with six levels, no early bird tiers, with console version goals purposively positioned at the higher goal, with a bullshit release date with a vague pitch that paints him as the last defender of classic japanese gaming?

No thanks, I already backed Shovel Knight for half of the entry price for what he is asking.

Yep.

He basically trashed the talent that built Capcom, ran its reputation into the ground by pushing for outsourcing to Western developers ranging from mediocre to bad, left Capcom once he had surveyed how much damage he did to it, and is now once again trying to rely on a past success that isn't even completely his.

Not deserving of any money in my opinion.

Coolwhip

Banned
Yep.

He basically trashed the talent that built Capcom, ran its reputation into the ground by pushing for outsourcing to Western developers ranging from mediocre to bad, left Capcom once he had surveyed how much damage he did to it, and is now once again trying to rely on a past success that isn't even completely his.

Who is responsible for Megaman then?

Theres Wikipedia, you know. Just some unknown franchises like Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil.

Don't forget Bionic Commando!

It's unfortunate that his involvement with Megaman's creation is exaggerated, while his involvement with Capcom's recent troubles are almost completely ignored.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Yep.

damn, did not know any of this.. I thought his habit of trashing Japanese devs had more to do with his dissatisfaction with the businessmen running publishing companies..

Who is responsible for Megaman then?

"Although he is often credited for designing the character, Inafune insists that he "only did half of the job in creating him", as his mentor developed the basic character concept before Inafune's arrival. The basic sprites for Roll and Dr. Light were created before Inafune joined the project, and the designs for Cut Man, Ice Man, Fire Man, and Guts Man were in process. Aside from normal enemies, Inafune's first character was Elec Man, inspired by American comic book characters."

He also had no part in gameplay design as far as I am aware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_(video_game)#Development

:lol

Inafune is such a joke. So his actions after insulting the creativity of Japanese studios at every opportunity are a Monster Hunter clone and rehashing Megaman.

Novocaine

Yep.

He still makes amazing games though. Soul Sacrifice is the bomb. Brand loyalty is silly, I just want good, fun games.

Yep.

He also had no part in gameplay design as far as I am aware.

Wow. This, uh... wow. Did not... did not know this. My hype has definitely been scaled quite a bit back.

Say what you will about Inafune, but there is some genuine fucking talent on this project.

People who certainly know Mega Man better than anybody at Capcom, that's for damn sure.

Who cares if the man made Megaman or not. The creators of Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX are developing this. The original composer of Megaman is doing the soundtrack. The art director was i charge of the Megaman Legends spinoff. 8-4 Play is doing the translation. This is an all-star team with a great proven track record.

Who cares if the man made Megaman or not. The creators of Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX are developing this. The original composer of Megaman is doing the soundtrack. The art director was i charge of the Megaman Legends spinoff. 8-4 Play is doing the translation. This is an all-star team with a great proven track record.

This. I have complete faith in this turning out awesome, even if Inafune wasn't involved.

Not to mention the implications this could have for the game industry here in Japan. This is a big chance to show smaller and medium sized devs (and of course indies) that crowd funding is an option.

You don't necessarily HAVE to make social games for the rest of forever.

Top Bottom