• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Khaz

Second, we’re proud to announce we’re working with Humble Bundle for digital reward fulfillment

Why should Windows users get to hog all the fun? Now we can offer Mighty No. 9 on both Mac and Linux as well!

Finally a Japanese developer who gets it. Hope it will set a trend with his countrymen.

nbraun80

Where you can't overlook those who helped create the first mega man, you also can't overlook what inafune helped turn it into. The first one wasn't a big hit and the sequel barely got greenlit. Its the second games improvements that made it a franchise.

9XB5Irf.jpg

Sorry guys I know you really hate Inafune, but we are talking about the only way a Megaman revival can happen. Because let's be honest, Capcom is never making this shit happen, they are probably still thinking what the hell to do with the franchise besides cameo appearances to cash in on the nostalgia.

Erethian

He didn't just work at Capcom, he's the father of Megaman.

By his own admission he isn't the father of Mega Man, that goes to Akira Kitamura. Was definitely one of the custodians and largest proponents for the series at Capcom, though. Along with people like Tokuro Fujiwara.

Where you can't overlook those who helped create the first mega man, you also can't overlook what inafune helped turn it into. The first one wasn't a big hit and the sequel barely got greenlit. Its the second games improvements that made it a franchise.

I say you also can't overlook the damage he did to Capcom and its brands.

Kikujiro

Pretty unwise course for them to choose.

Historically, "look and feel" video game lawsuits are usually not won. Also, there is a precedent for this in Japan. Shouzou Kaga, the creator of Fire Emblem left and made Tear Ring Saga, which was a LOT like Fire Emblem. Nintendo sued and lost, appealed, got some moneys on appeal but failed to block the game, even after another appeal. The ruling that stood was that the similarities were a result of the creator's "style."

Pretty much the same deal here, IMO.

Didn't know about Tear Ring Saga, was it a good game?

def sim

I don't care to make someone a villain. He assembled a team that can make the best possible Mega Man game and presented his project to the right audience. Good for him.

Tsunamo

Well this was a nice suprise.
I'll be sure to pitch in some money when I have it spare, this is guaranteed to make the 900k goal at least.

TheOGB

Banned
It's funny because you can say all that stuff about Inafune but we know we're all here for Inti Creates anyway

doesn't always have the best ideas, but who does?

LeleSocho

Banned
Funny you thought that way, considering this:

AvsfC.png

Yeah i agree with Kamiya. I think Inafune hardly has been active in the development of titles aside maybe the first MegaMan but man if he knows how to touch a fanboy heart, the kickstarter video is amazing.

muddream

Banned
Well, I might be in the minority on this one (on GAF at any rate), but I don't think PSX-era MMX games had great style... The designs started to get uglier and goofier by MMX2, and the PSX just added an ugly artstyle on top of that.

Then again I'm cranky about Mega Man, and I shit on games like MM Legends which people on GAF seem to love so much :p.

I guess all I'm asking for is designs that have a shot at becoming classic/timeless rather than a product of their time. Just as technology for technology's sake ages poorly, so does style for style's sake.

Well, the entire PSX/N64 era has aged terribly, Mega Man has had an anime look since the SNES days if you look at the boxart.

I think this looks much better than the PSX-era MM stuff and I'm one of those people who thinks that these indie retro-style games are the absolute worst gaming fad. The only game I can think of where the devs tried to make a retro-style pretty instead of retro for retro's sake is Jamestown. 99% of these games look way worse than the 8/16 bit games they're trying to be like, so I'm glad they're going for an original look.

I don't care to make someone a villain. He assembled a team that can make the best possible Mega Man game and presented his project to the right audience. Good for him.

Seriously, the talent on the project is legit and even though Inafune has done shit in the past while at Capcom, he is the perfect candidate for coming forth with the sales pitch for a MegaMan successor. He has complete knowledge of the series and knows what fans have been craving for years and that Capcom sure as shit doesn't care about MegaMan anything, other then him being is stuff like Smash Bros.

Tizoc

This. I have complete faith in this turning out awesome, even if Inafune wasn't involved.

Not to mention the implications this could have for the game industry here in Japan. This is a big chance to show smaller and medium sized devs (and of course indies) that crowd funding is an option.

You don't necessarily HAVE to make social games for the rest of forever.

All I know is that it's a platformer action game done by some talented people so I'm in~

Soule

ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg

Welp pack it all up guys, this game will be terrible and Inafune is gonna drive everything he touches into the ground.

nbraun80

I say you also can't overlook the damage he did to Capcom and its brands.

honestly that has nothing to do with whether he and the team can make a good mega man like game. If you have no intention of getting this game, why come here to complain about him. I'm sure there's been plenty of threads about what he's done to capcom to have that debate.

Soule

honestly that has nothing to do with whether he and the team can make a good mega man like game. If you have no intention of getting this game, why come here to complain about him. I'm sure there's been plenty of threads about what he's done to capcom to have that debate.

Nah dawg, don't you get it, this means that the team he assembled is a ruse and it's about to get dished out to some third rate western dev team.

He is just salty because Inafune couldn't save the sales trainwreck Clover was.

I don't think he intended that as an insult, but as a statement of fact. Look at Inafune's resume; most of his credits are for working as a producer or other similar positions. I can't think of any games where he's credited as a director, planner, or game designer.

tripskylark

Neo Member
After reading about Inafune's sheisty shady work in the industry, I will hold before I put any money on this.

Game/concept looks great though. Music too1

NEO0MJ

Professional console game development is not cheap. Just the *dev hardware* for a relatively small team can run into the 100k ballpark. The main goal and the stretch goals are actually pretty cheap in reality.

I know it's not cheap, but it shouldn't be the last stretch goal. It should at least be given priority over the "making of documentary". In fact it should be in the tier right after the linux and mac versions. As it is right now it just seems like they're holding the console version hostage to gain more support.

knkng

I don't think he intended that as an insult, but as a statement of fact. Look at Inafune's resume; most of his credits are for working as a producer or other similar positions. I can't think of any games where he's credited as a director, planner, or game designer.

But he's not being credited as any of those things on this project either, yet people are using this to try and slander him. The whole argument is just dumb. People are excited for a new Mega Man-style game, and the team that's assembled behind it.

so1337

Love the fact that Japan is finally getting on the Kickstarter train. It's hard not to get excited about an all-star staff like that.

I just saw this and I am incredibly happy for all mega man fans. I hope this game ful-fils your gameplay and aesthetic wants.

The concept art screens already look fantastic.

Fine, but Inafune is at heart an artist and a guy that comes up with ideas even if life has lead him to producer roles.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This comes very very close to copyright infringement. Hope he knows what he is doing.

Still, time for you megaman fans to put your money where your mouth is.

The main facebook group who has been (and still is actively) pushing for mega man legend 3 revival project has pledged support for this project too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why he would pick PS3/Xbox360 over PS4/Vita is beyond me. But then again this seems half-baked and not very in touch with what we actually want. The video seemed like a documentary with a sales pitch. At the moment I'm not interested. Let's see if it gets shipped.

Well, I might be in the minority on this one (on GAF at any rate), but I don't think PSX-era MMX games had great style... The designs started to get uglier and goofier by MMX2, and the PSX just added an ugly artstyle on top of that.

Huh? I thought the MMX3 designs were awesome. I remember the Bit, Byte, Neon Tiger, Blizzard Buffalo & Blast Hornet character designs off the top of my head since I liked them so much.

sirap

Inafune left Capcpom in 2010. It's 2013 and they're still making shitty decisions, so how long are you guys going to blame him for whatever is going on there?

JDSN

Banned

I dont see a game yet, I see a comcept (see what I did there?) and a great crew lead by a guy misrepresenting himself in order to do a sales pitch, I havent bashed the team, I havent bashed Inafune, im pointing out the things that I consider wrong with this sales pitch as a potential backer and that includes the background of their leader. Its not the first time dissenting views have been expressed, and it wont be the last. The point of Kickstarter is giving people a voice, so your point is moot.
He is just salty because Inafune couldn't save the sales trainwreck Clover was.

He couldnt save Legends and Universe, im starting to see a partern, it certainly sounds like a man that I would trust my money.

The main facebook group who has been (and still is actively) pushing for mega man legend 3 revival project has pledged support for this project too.

I would expect as much too. With the way at one point they were shitting up every Marvel thread (no offense but it was true)
I expect this to at least be primarily funded by the end of the week.

(Capcoms were dicks in SF x T though)

Shame Yuki Naka isnt interested in making one for a classic Sonic clone. Maybe that would shut up that annoyingly rabid fanbase too.

Inafune left Capcpom in 2010. It's 2013 and they're still making shitty decisions, so how long are you guys going to blame him for whatever is going on there?

They haven't just continued to make shitty decisions, they've made even worse decisions

Shame Yuki Naka isnt interested in making one for a classic Sonic clone. Maybe that would shut up that annoyingly rabid fanbase too.

If Yasuhara made one it probably would.

I doubt any 16bit sonic fan would be greatly interested by a Naka sonic game.

After reading about Inafune's sheisty shady work in the industry, I will hold before I put any money on this.

Game/concept looks great though. Music too1

Like what money laundering and running away with most of the games production money? I feel like people take this too personal. He is the right man to create a Mega Man game and knows the right people and would you rather that Inticreates kept working on this game?

NSFW
http://www.play3-live.com/screens/ps3/gal-gun/gal-gun-2132441616full-1314782638.jpg

Seriously people get a grip and look at the talent behind this game.

2.5M for... PS360? No PS4 or X1?o_O

I am pretty sure it wont be available on those platforms because it seems like the PS4 and X1 is easier to publish games on their new downloadable services than last generation.

Because most of the shitty decisions he made are seeing fruition this year? (Blue castle games, Licensing Unreal for western Reboots, DmC, Lost planet 3)

The next era which about to start is the Always online era, which will still be shitty, but hopefully the quailty of the games will at least rise.

Brera

Banned

If anything...they're making even shittier decisions since he left.

Between the lead character designer and the art director, I could see myself playing this for visuals alone. I was never very good at megaman but looks like it might be fun.

I would expect as much too. With the way at one point they were shitting up every Marvel thread (no offense but it was true)
I expect this to at least be primarily funded by the end of the week.

(Capcoms were dicks in SF x T though)

Except Sonic is in good shape as a franchise?

Looks interesting, but would be a bit more interested if say, there was a hint at what the game would actually look like. I can get why, but so many awesome looking 2D art 'concept' shots, when they're going to go 3D on the character models.

NEO0MJ

Huh? I thought the MMX3 designs were awesome. I remember the Bit, Byte, Neon Tiger, Blizzard Buffalo & Blast Hornet character designs off the top of my head since I liked them so much.

Well, MMX3 was originally for the Snes. It got ported to the PSX after more than a year.

And Capcom has also announced that they'll move back towards internal development and away from outsourcing to Western devs since he's left, which is the exact thing I and many others blame him for.

Well, MMX3 was originally for the Snes. It got ported to the PSX after more than a year.

I know, but Kilrogg said even since MMX2 the designs were getting "ugly and goofy"

And Capcom has also announced that they'll move back towards internal development and away from outsourcing to Western devs since he's left, which is the exact thing I and many others blame him for.

Looking forward to that internally developed BOF6.

Protome

As much as I want to believe, Inafune's two Mega Man projects before he left Capcom both looked kinda terrible. Especially Megaman Universe.

That said, a new Mega Man by the Zero/ZX team is worth donating to!

Top Bottom