• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Except Sonic is in good shape as a franchise?

Not for anyone who considers the only worthwhile sonic games to be the 16 bit ones.

Colours and Generations aren't great games, they're just far better then the embarrassing garbage that went before, so I wouldn't call it "in good shape". Might be in a few months though, Lost World is looking great.

Lost world is Mario with a Sonic skin. If anything the franchise is regressing.

IrishNinja

taking shots on infaune is one thing, but i'm not hear for pissing on Clover's grave...no fan of gaming should indulge that

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
All these political reasons to not support this when it's going to be better than 99% of platformers coming out these days.

nbraun80

I dont see a game yet, I see a comcept (see what I did there?) and a great crew lead by a guy misrepresenting himself in order to do a sales pitch, I havent bashed the team, I havent bashed Inafune, im pointing out the things that I consider wrong with this sales pitch as a potential backer and that includes the background of their leader. Its not the first time dissenting views have been expressed, and it wont be the last. The point of Kickstarter is giving people a voice, so your point is moot.
1. comment wasn't even directed at you so not sure why you're so defensive, but whatever.
2. How is he misrepresenting himself?
3. You can call yourself a "potential" backer all you want but if you truly don't like him for what he's done at capcom and won't support him then there's nothing anyone can say about this project that will change your mind and so you are really just here to bash him.

meppi

taking shots on infaune is one thing, but i'm not hear for pissing on Clover's grave...no fan of gaming should indulge that

All these political reasons to not support this when it's going to be better than 99% of platformers coming out these days.

The one thing I can think of that's really fitting to both of these observations:

iV893FyONu1Tu.jpg

Somehow it's still hard to get used to it though.

Because most of the shitty decisions he made are seeing fruition this year? (Blue castle games, Licensing Unreal for western Reboots, DmC, Lost planet 3).

Inafune has shit to do with that. Prior to DMC, Ninja theory had worked with Unreal on Enslaved. They had experience with that engine. You'll never see a publisher tell a dev which engine to use(the tech choices are done according to budgets, production ramp ups etc.)

Sure he made bad decisions, but who didn't and last I checked, Capcom is still making bad decisions. Blame the higher ups over there,

Not for anyone who considers the only worthwhile sonic games to be the 16 bit ones.

Lost world is Mario with a Sonic skin. If anything the franchise is regressing.

Ahhh yes, that line of thought. You're free to have it, the 16 bit ones are still the pinnacle to me but to discount the fact that Sonic is still selling and doing just fine...seems a tad shortsighted. It's still in a grand position compared to the Blue Bomber.

JDSN

Banned
1. comment wasn't even directed at you so not sure why you're so defensive, but whatever.
2. How is he misrepresenting himself?
3. You can call yourself a "potential" backer all you want but if you truly don't like him for what he's done at capcom and won't support him then there's nothing anyone can say about this project that will change your mind and so you are really just here to bash him.

1. Telling people to pipe down is not cool.
2. He paints himself as some old school creative mind of japanese gaming when he is far from that, also, he has commented on the staleness of dev in his country and the need for something new (in the west)...while pitching a Megaman clone.
3. I have pointed out other things that I dont like about the pitch so its not an attack on him not my fault that people wanna focus on that, if some of those things change ill back it for sure. Example: I suggested to the maker of this game about the lack of early tiers being part of the reasons of why the money wasnt coming in, in the same day he tripled the amount of slots.

I could have taken the easy way out and pointed your megaman icon and call you a fanboy, you took the easy way when you decided to act like people finding certain things problematic about this are just haters.

The one thing I can think of that's really fitting to both of these observations:

http://i.minus.com/iV893FyONu1Tu.jpg
Somehow it's still hard to get used to it though.[/QUOTE]

See? This is an example of bashing.

Village

That is who lost world is for.

" hey everybody classic themed shit, Yall like that right? Now if we make a 3d one with friends in it we wont be obligated to explain jack shit to you right?"

Colours and Generations aren't great games, they're just far better then the embarrassing garbage that went before, so I wouldn't call it "in good shape".

Might be in a few months though, Lost World is looking great.

Your opinion.

Generations was fantastic

My opinion

Durante

I backed this. Just at the $20 level though, since I'm not a massive fan of the genre.

Really great production values on the video / concept. Also PC continuing to fuel the gaming revolution :p

Erethian

I don't think he intended that as an insult, but as a statement of fact. Look at Inafune's resume; most of his credits are for working as a producer or other similar positions. I can't think of any games where he's credited as a director, planner, or game designer.

Yeah. He also says the same thing about Inaba, though when that tweet first popped up people tried to turn it into something about Kamiya dissing on Inafune.

As to this particular title, I think Inti-Creates involvement is way more important to the appeal of the Kickstarter, rather than Inafune. In terms of getting a good Mega Man style game.

Buzzati

Banned
The Inafune criticisms are completely legitimate. Game is going to be good, though. Inafune is the weakest link on the dev team.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo the first "???" will end being ps4/xb1 versions while the second "???" will end being the vita version.

nbraun80

1. Telling people to pipe down is not cool.
2. He paints himself as some old school creative mind of japanese gaming when he is far from that, also, he has commented on the staleness of dev in his country and the need for something new (in the west)...while pitching a Megaman clone.
3. I have pointed out other things that I dont like about the pitch so its not an attack on him not my fault that people wanna focus on that, if some of those things change ill back it for sure. Example: I suggested to the maker of this game about the lack of early tiers being part of the reasons of why the money wasnt coming in, in the same day he tripled the amount of slots.

I could have taken the easy way out and pointed your megaman icon and call you a fanboy, you took the easy way when you decided to act like people finding certain things problematic about this are just haters.

1. I didn't, I said there have been many past thread about capcom and him to debate what happened there.
2.i didnt see him painting himself that way and just because it has a similar feel doesn't mean they won't do new things.
3. For one you came in with a snarky comment about outsourcing and said you liked the pitch video, but now you say you don't like the pitch. You think you're being helpful but all you said is thay the stretch goals are BS.

haha so you pointing out what the easy way out for you is isn't actually doing it? Ok! Ha

meppi

Aw. Did I hurt your feelings?

You must be easily offended as I didn't say anything about you at all. sheesh.

I'm not sorry about "bashing" idiots that go into whatever topic and shit on things just for shocks or to state how much they hate something with drive by postings.
That shit happens constantly whenever there's a positive thread on anything, so yeah, I stand by my assessment and certainly won't for calling people that do that kind of stiff idiots.

Sorral

I backed this. Just at the $20 level though, since I'm not a massive fan of the genre.

Really great production values on the video / concept. Also PC continuing to fuel the gaming revolution :p

Durante pls

I also just backed for $20, but for a different reason (would love a vita version)

Erethian

Is he Dennis Dyak bad?

He's a producer, mainly, not a developer. So in that sense it's down to the design team and director he has working underneath him, like when Yoshinori Kawano and Ryota Ito were the co-directors on the Zero series, and Kawano was the director on the Legends series.

Village

Is he Dennis Dyak bad?

I dunno about that but he REALLY wanted DmC to be a thing while he was there. A lot of pushing, even though he didnt really have much to do with DmC franchise prior. Take that as you will. It could be a lie from capcom to throw inafune under one of many busses. Then again, he has been pushing for wester devs for a long time

wwm0nkey

I dunno about that but he REALLY wanted DmC to be a thing while he was there. A lot of pushing, even though he didnt really have much to do with DmC franchise prior. Take that as you will. It could be a lie from capcom to throw inafune under one of many busses. Then again, he has been pushing for wester devs for a long time

He left in 2010 and Capcom was/is still doing that. Don't be blaming it all on Inafune man.

Pachael

I'm more excited about what this could mean for PC/Steam.

Village

He left in 2010 and Capcom was/is still doing that. Don't be blaming it all on Inafune man.

Like I said, capcom could have been another one of many bullshit lies.

However game development takes a while, and DmC's in particular took far longer than it was supposed to. Wouldn't be far fetched before he left, he thought he had a really cool idea for DmC and I guess Itsuno didn't feel like making animu men slash things anymore, so they went with it.

lol. You wait till the game releases, they soon will have plenty to complain about

"why is there so many boost pads?"

"urgh bottomless pits"

"why is he not gaining momentum from rolling"

"Homing attack? fuck this shit"

"insta-spindash? what are sega thinking"

But I digress.

Dice

He's a producer, mainly, not a developer. So in that sense it's down to the design team and director he has working underneath him, like when Yoshinori Kawano and Ryota Ito were the co-directors on the Zero series, and Kawano was the director on the Legends series.
And he has a god-tier team for this project.

Erethian

And he has a god-tier team for this project.

The team is pretty good, yeah, though it would have been great to get someone with more classic Mega Man experience as the director. The guy they've got was a designer on the Star Force games. I know Kawano still works at Capcom (or I think he does), and I've no idea what Ryota Ito is up to these days since his last credited title that I can find was MM10.

Village

lol. You wait till the game releases, they soon will have plenty to complain about

"why is there so many boost pads?"

"urgh bottomless pits"

"why is he not gaining momentum from rolling"

"Homing attack? fuck this shit"

"insta-spindash? what are sega thinking"

But I digress.

I never said it was good atempt. But it certainly aint for the generations/adventure crowd, in theme and in gameplay.

" hey everybody classic themed shit, Yall like that right? Now if we make a 3d one with friends in it we wont be obligated to explain jack shit to you right?"

Your opinion.

Generations was fantastic

My opinion

That powers trailer killed 100% of the hype I had for the game, that was so awful that I got real bummed out. Each power looked worse than the one prior to it

It went from a day 1 buy to a "if people say that you're in the powers for 15 seconds total I might get it for 20 bucks"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think one of the problems for me is Inafune would probably be directly responsible for killing MegaMan off through various money sink outsourcings that never saw the light of day in the first place.

all from 2010:
(western team) Armature's Megaman abomination - cancelled

One of a handful of collaborations with Western developers kicked off by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, the Mega Man first-person shooter was in development at Austin-based Armature Studio, the promising developer founded by Metroid Prime's creators.

(western team???) terrible looking Megaman Universe - cancelled
Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune stated "We wanted to preserve as much as we can of the classic 8-bit Mega Man feel, while allowing players to project their own Mega Man onto the game."

(korean team) Rockman Online - cancelled
Can't find a quote linking Inafune to it, but I have no doubt the decision would have been from his desk.

Inafune "leaves" towards the end of 2010. Do you know who killed MegaMan? It was Inafune's poor investments, outsourcing obsession.

Now after leaving Capcom, he gets to play the hero and make an HD Megaman game with IntiCreates. Did Inafune go on year long campaigns calling japanese development dead to cheapen a future workforce for himself and his own ends? He is a businessman after all.

I'm all for spiritual successors, god knows I'm a big Bayonetta pusher, and Crimson Dragon didn't make me feel queasy but the Roll, Rush, Wily, Cutman, and Gutsman stuff is just honestly crossing a very blurry line so far and sets an appalling industry wide precedent.

Usobuko

Banned
Imo the first "???" will end being ps4/xb1 versions while the second "???" will end being the vita version.

That will be good. I won't double dip but I would love to see this game on as many platform as financially possible. I don't think they should miss out on the console-only crowd considering the type of game it is and its heritage.

The music sample for the main theme is great, has elements of what I think made PSO music so good, and it's quite catchy.

I will back this for sure and i'm not even that big of a megaman fan but I do like those kind of games and platformers.

Dice

The team is pretty good, yeah, though it would have been great to get someone with more classic Mega Man experience as the director. The guy they've got was a designer on the Star Force games.
I'm more apt to trust him until proven sucky. We know nothing about his ability as he was a designer not director of those games, and those games were low-tier projects aimed at children anyway. This is a team of mostly legends trying to make something great for long-term fans. Inafune picked this guy and says he grew up playing them, so I trust him as one man among these others, even in a very important role. This isn't like a Mega Man 9 (but IntiCreates is here anyway for further security), so I would prefer someone trained for newer things rather than be a 100% old school team.

P.S. Kimo Kimo's profile pic... KITTY!! <3333

Soule

The music sample for the main theme is great, has elements of what I think made PSO music so good, and it's quite catchy.

I will back this for sure and i'm not even that big of a megaman fan but I do like those kind of games and platformers.

I hear a lot of people praising the music, I only listened to the one song but I didn't really like it. Seemed more ambient and less upbeat that what I want... Reserving judgement further since it's a small sample size but not a big fan of what I've heard so far, the concept screens look beautiful IMO tho.

Top Bottom