• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do you get console of choice with $20 ?

Edit: a cheap friend wanted to know *caughs*

Kikujiro

The Inafune criticisms are completely legitimate. Game is going to be good, though. Inafune is the weakest link on the dev team.

How is he the weakest link? Without him there would be no project at all.
He may be a business man, but as a producer he knows how to make a project a reality, this Kickstarter shows that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yes you will pick your platform of choice, obviously only if those stretch goals are met.

With 400k in one night I'd say that's a pretty safe bet? How high are they?

With 400k in one night I'd say that's a pretty safe bet? How high are they?

4b5dd5f90cad228da69d07f089ff6525_large.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hear a lot of people praising the music, I only listened to the one song but I didn't really like it. Seemed more ambient and less upbeat that what I want... Reserving judgement further since it's a small sample size but not a big fan of what I've heard so far, the concept screens look beautiful IMO tho.
Did you listen longer than 10 seconds?

MilkBeard

Lots of Debbie Downers in this thread. I understand people's concern, but there are quite a number of folks with lots of money to throw away who trust and pledge their support. It's pretty obvious that this is going to be a thing, unless something catastrophic happens (like Capcom suing or something to that degree).

I for one am pretty excited for it. I haven't pledged yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm not too crazy about playing it on the computer at the moment (if it gets close to the console stretch goals I might throw in).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Diablohead! PC is not a bad worst case scenario so I'm backing anyway. Hope console goals will be reached though! :)

Stuart444

I have some issues with Inafune, particularly the way he has spoken about the Japanese games industry while praising the western games industry...

However this looks cool and I love the designs. Though I can't help but be worried that Capcom will sue over it.

I'll decide near the end if I want to back this or not.

eso76

Was kinda worried kick starter was only like 400k/900k with "only" 30 days to go.
Then I saw it hasn't even been 24 hrs :-D

Go inafune ! Fuck you Cacpmom !
This needs to happen (on consoles too)

Looks like the anti-KS people have woken up

It's pretty clear that any bad decisions Ina made at Crapcom were a result of trying to appease the oyabuns and bean counters upstairs

2.5M for console versions? Seriously?

Gotta grease dose MS and Sony palms to get proper licensing.

ash_ag

Trending projections are over 6.5m and we're not even past the first 24 hours (which is when they usually start falling on instantly popular crowdfunds). At this point, I'll be very surprised if console versions don't become a thing.

I have a huge smile plastered all over my face. Of all the people I'd love to see make a Kickstarter project, a Megaman-like from Keiji Inafune is probably at the top. :)

Would love to see some real gameplay.

g3xUPzD.jpg

There's no way it'll look like this all throughout the entire game, especially not if Inafune wants to finance the entire production for 900k.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Heh, Mega Man-esque, now that's an understatement.
Makes me hopeful for more kickstarter games from prominent Japanese developers though. Maybe a revival of all those game series that died in earlier generations, would be awesome!

Coxswain

for his western fanboying ruining Lost Planet 2, though

Huh? 1) Whether you think it was "ruined" or not, Lost Planet 2 was in no way, shape, or form a result of 'western fanboying', and most of the criticism of the game essentially amounted to it being too much like a Japanese game to be a shooter, and 2) He had no direct involvement with LP2 in the first place.

duckroll

Trending projections are over 6.5m and we're not even past the first 24 hours (which is when they usually start falling on instantly popular crowdfunds). At this point, I'll be very surprised if console versions don't become a thing.

Trending is NOT a projection. People need to know how to use Kicktraq instead of just looking at the basic page and going "that's a projection!". Trending simply takes how it has made in total so far, and applies that to the entire remainder of the project period. A projection requires more specific formulas, taking various factors into account. Projections are not possible until funding gets to a stable point after the initial rush of the first couple of days.

iosef

How on earth is this not going to get C&D'd?

From the character design to the game structure this is too close to a blatant ripoff of a Capcom IP to be permitted. If you don't defend your marks you lose them...

dezzy8

Now watch Capcom release a mega man game in 2014. Just like jow they released D&D when Dragon's Crown was about to be released.

someone pledged 10 K 0_o wow, i feel so poor cause thats basically 3000 more then my life savings lol, the college broke life

crazy its already at 400 K great news :D

g3xUPzD.jpg

There's no way it'll look like this all throughout the entire game, especially not if Inafune wants to finance the entire production for 900k.

If the game looked like that I would buy it in a heartbeat....

It looks like the logical conclusion of 16bit era art into the modern age.

How on earth is this not going to get C&D'd?

From the character design to the game structure this is too close to a blatant ripoff of a Capcom IP to be permitted. If you don't defend your marks you lose them...

Megaman himself is just a blue Astro Boy with elements of Casshern. There's also the fact that copyright law in Asia is extremely lax

MilkBeard

g3xUPzD.jpg

The entire production will cost more than 900k. It says so in the FAQ. They have other sources of funding.

vall03

I wonder how much the funding the will be when I wake up tomorrow. Considering that its almost half-way, I think theres a chance it can be fully funded in the next 12-24hrs.

Jobbs

Banned
As a life long fan of Mega Man, it sounds odd saying this, but I'm not sure if I'll back this simply because I hate 2.5d. I've never seen a 2.5d game that didn't look ugly to me. I'd need to see some more solid gameplay before deciding if I wanted to get behind this. My initial reaction is -- What a shame. For a million bucks you could have the greatest all 2D sprite art and the game would look more stunning than anyone could possibly do in 2.5d. What a shame.

someone pledged 10 K 0_o wow, i feel so poor cause thats basically 3000 more then my life savings lol, the college broke life

crazy its already at 400 K great news :D
If you have $7,000, you aren't poor or a broke college student. A broke college student is barely getting by while continuing to accumulate student loan and credit card debt. You don't have a penny in savings, you're thousands in the hole.

Durante

Huh? 1) Whether you think it was "ruined" or not, Lost Planet 2 was in no way, shape, or form a result of 'western fanboying', and most of the criticism of the game essentially amounted to it being too much like a Japanese game to be a shooter, and 2) He had no direct involvement with LP2 in the first place.
3) LP2 was easily one of the best co-op action games of the past generation.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm backing this... I want it pretty badly... but it's such a blatant project, I am wondering if he can really get away with this...

the characters, the gameplay, the name of the game, the name of the COMPANY, it really feels like Capcom has some reasons to pitch a fit if they wanted to.

If you have $7,000, you aren't poor or a broke college student. A broke college student is barely getting by while continuing to accumulate student loan and credit card debt. You don't have a penny in savings, you're thousands in the hole.

I owe £27k to the government because of university :D

Jobbs

Banned
If the game looked like that I would buy it in a heartbeat....

It looks like the logical conclusion of 16bit era art into the modern age.

This is a mockup. it's fake. the game is 2.5d. polygons. this appears to be a 2D concept drawing. An artist's idealized vision. The game won't look 2d if it's not 2d.

I'm a little annoyed when people ask for vast sums of money on KS without even a functioning prototype to show. I understand he's a big name in the industry, and doublefine is a big name in the industry, but it still rubs me wrong. Showing the game in functioning prototype form, at minimum, is a sign of good faith by the developers and gives potential backers a better idea of what it is they're getting into.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will say they should add some digital alternative tiers. Some people are going to want digital benefits of higher tiers but don't want physical stuff/associated shipping costs. Sometimes even something simple like a tier where you 10 copies of the game finds a good number of people who are enthusiastic and want to help make it popular by personal distribution.

Edit: I'm just going to send them that suggestion.

ViviOggi

I hear a lot of people praising the music, I only listened to the one song but I didn't really like it. Seemed more ambient and less upbeat that what I want... Reserving judgement further since it's a small sample size but not a big fan of what I've heard so far, the concept screens look beautiful IMO tho.

Did you by any chance listen to the ambient remix?

This is a mockup. it's fake. the game is 2.5d. polygons. this appears to be a 2D concept drawing. An artist's idealized vision. The game won't look 2d if it's not 2d.

I'm a little annoyed when people ask for vast sums of money on KS without even a functioning prototype to show. I understand he's a big name in the industry, and doublefine is a big name in the industry, but it still rubs me wrong. Showing the game in functioning prototype form, at minimum, is a sign of good faith by the developers and gives potential backers a better idea of what it is they're getting into.

GOtta agree that they should at least have a prototype or something up and alive. It would be nice to see how their concept looks in actual game terms (or game art terms)

This is reasurring.

Jobbs

Banned

Duckroll, I love you and you're my favorite duck, but to me these are obvious polygons, *especially* the environment. One of the biggest problems with 2.5D is how absurd the environments make the game seem when the gameplay itself is 2d. See Duck Tales Remastered. Not to mention -- 3D environments, in general, can't look anywhere as pretty as a hand painted environment can look. See Duck Tales Remastered.

The artist rendition of MN9 gameplay, the presumed target appearance for the game, ain't no 3D. Even though they say the game will be 3D. So if it's 3D polygons, it won't look like their target.

Coxswain

3) LP2 was easily one of the best co-op action games of the past generation.

Well, I didn't want to start sounding like a broken record around here!

But yeah, LP2 was a fantastic game. In fact, the only major beef I've ever had with Inafune and his record is when he threw the LP2 team under the bus after it was a commercial failure, saying that the development team 'had no passion' for the game or whatever.

Other than that, and a few weird comments about the Japanese gaming industry being behind (mostly while under pressure from the Capcom bigwigs to turn everything into a CoD-like juggernaut), I think Inafune's record is pretty unimpeachable. Capcom was way ahead of the pack through the first half of this console generation, when he had the most influence, and the only really good western-developed Capcom game was the one where he stepped in to take a direct hand in the game's development.

I'm totally willing to back him on this game - even if I weren't a pretty big fan of classic Megaman, having a successful, (relatively) high-profile Japanese game that uses crowdfunding instead of a traditional publisher, and is primarily aimed at the PC, could (potentially) open the gate for other small-to-mid-scale Japanese developers to do the same, which would be absolutely fantastic.

duckroll

Duckroll, I love you and you're my favorite duck, but to me these are obvious polygons, *especially* the environment. One of the biggest problems with 2.5D is how absurd the environments make the game seem when the gameplay itself is 2d. See Duck Tales Remastered.

The artist rendition of MN9 gameplay, the presumed target appearance for the game, ain't no 3D. Even though they say the game will be 3D. So if it's 3D polygons, it won't look like their target.

The point of the picture is to show that a large amount of what most people like about 2D art can be translated pretty well into full 3D. Obviously it's not going to look exactly 100% like 2D artwork, but at some point it becomes a "so what" issue. Concept art is always done in 2D to give a quick overview of the sort of look being targeted. If the actual thing looks close enough, no one really cares if it's 2D or 3D.

With Ducktales Remastered, the problem is not that the environment is 3D, but that the environments are mostly lazy and boring. Generic textures on the platforms are the biggest sticking point. It's poor art, regardless if it's 2D or 3D.

MilkBeard

Duckroll, I love you and you're my favorite duck, but to me these are obvious polygons, *especially* the environment. One of the biggest problems with 2.5D is how absurd the environments make the game seem when the gameplay itself is 2d. See Duck Tales Remastered. Not to mention -- 3D environments, in general, can't look anywhere as pretty as a hand painted environment can look. See Duck Tales Remastered.

Those character models sure do look sweet though. Honestly I'm not getting why people are nitpicking about Mno9 being 3D. Game's gonna play the same either way.

Top Bottom