• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Smilax

I really do hope this becomes a success. I would love to play this game on PC and Wii U. I wouldn't even mind if it was just 8-bit sprites. As long as the gameplay is fun; I'm all in!

Im impressed they have Ben Judd and a chunk of the old megaman staff on this. Does this lend further weight to the idea that there has been a serious talent exodus at capcom and Most of the creators of your favorite franchises dont work there any more?

Im impressed they have Ben Judd and a chunk of the old megaman staff on this. Does this lend further weight to the idea that there has been a serious talent exodus at capcom and Most of the creators of your favorite franchises dont work there any more?

I thought it was a fact. Not only in Capcom, mind you...

ViviOggi

Yeah just re-listened to it, still not a big fan is there really an ambient remix? I just listened to the mix that was under the composers section. Sounds just weird and chill then goes into weird 90s exercise mix which I don't' really care for, still excited tho

Yeah, the remix is a bit further down on the KS page. The intro transition is a bit jerky but apart from that I love the song (the non-remix, that is).

Daedardus

Why? You don't need to protect people from themselves. I think people who have money to spend on Kickstarters can make up their own mind on whether they feel a project is worth supporting, and whether the people launching the project is interesting to put money down without seeing any game footage. This basically boils down to "I don't think this is okay, and I don't think other people should be allowed to think it is okay", which is really, kinda rude imo. :)

That is only the case if everyone on Kickstarter was heavily informed about everything though. It's not my money, so I actually shouldn't care. But there have been examples of people spending money on something that clearly won't meet expectations (not extrapolating that to this one, but Susan Wilson was a fine example). But those people aren't on GAF, so what are we rambling about?

I thought it was a fact. Not only in Capcom, mind you...

I know people move around all the time in games development, but this seems like something a bit more comprehensive. It is is the only thing that makes Capcoms decisions over the past 3 years make sense. There are no MegaMan games because there is no one left to make them who gives a shit about the franchise.

CTLance

What just happened to my credit card. Where am I... who... last thing I remember was clicking on a kickstarter link... Ooooooooh.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am really pleased that they are not doing the "earlybird" bullshit. I hate the fuck out of how every KS copies that misguided idea.

BUT... I am not sure I understand this. Why do they need close to a million for a side scroller? It looks like they want to fund their 'entire' studio through this game.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I've thrown $20 in the general direction of the project, I would have considered more if I hadn't already pre-ordered GTA V and Pokémon Y during the last week. I'm looking forward the most to seeing how the soundtrack turns out.

nded

Hopefully they go with GGXrd style hand sculpted frames of animation rather than tweening. I know some people fetishize completely smooth 60fps character animation, but it looks really weird in Mega Man games. I played Maverick Hunter X and the juxtaposition between smooth animations and zero frame transitions was kind of jarring.

BUT... I am not sure I understand this. Why do they need close to a million for a side scroller? It looks like they want to fund their 'entire' studio through this game.

How much do you think making those new side scrolling Rayman games cost? A couple thousand bucks probably.

Jobbs

Banned
I am really pleased that they are not doing the "earlybird" bullshit. I hate the fuck out of how every KS copies that misguided idea.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. There are many moving pieces involved when it comes to a KS campaign and why it is or isn't successful, and some are hard to identify -- But one thing that's in little dispute is that early momentum is critical to the overall health of the campaign. You want a nice chunk in that first 24-48 hours or you're in a much weaker position. This is the purpose of early bird. To encourage people to get in right away.

Moosh

Neo Member
Im a classic and battle network fan, I backed 20 bucks simply just to flip off capcom. Wether mistreating Inafune at Capcom was justified or not I feel that the megaman franchise shouldnt have to suffer for it. Not so much the franchise but us fans.

I know people move around all the time in games development, but this seems like something a bit more comprehensive. It is is the only thing that makes Capcoms decisions over the past 3 years make sense. There are no MegaMan games because there is no one left to make them who gives a shit about the franchise.

That is also a fair point.

Also, I can't imagine the corporate burocracy in Capcom if Ono has problems to pitch Street Fighter V

ViviOggi

One million dollars is not much for game development.

Why does this keep getting tossed around as if sidescrolling is a cheap throwaway perspective (for lack of a better word since it's certainly not a genre)? You can blow lots of money on art and sound alone, just look at the recently released Rayman Legends and all of its HD art assets, animation variety, sound design and sheer amount of gameplay content. There are no numbers but I'm betting my ass that that game cost much more than a million to make.

I'm not sure what you mean by "funding their studio" but obviously they are also going to cover things like rent or furniture with the money.

Jobbs

Banned
One million dollars is not much for game development.

Why does this keep getting tossed around as if sidescrolling is a cheap throwaway perspective (for lack of a better word since it's certainly not a genre)? You can blow lots of money on art and sound alone, just look at the recently released Rayman Legends and all of its HD art assets, animation variety, sound design and sheer amount of gameplay content. There are no numbers but I'm betting my ass that that game cost much more than a million to make.

I don't know their budget or what all the particulars are, but I think it's understandable when people react this way. Ever heard of a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail? It's gorgeous, detailed, lengthy, and full of variety. And made by one person. Art, design,animation, programming. One person. Took him a couple years. In theory he could have made the game for whatever the amount of money it takes to keep someone living and breathing and with electricity for that long, which, obviously, is not even close to a million dollars.

So -- It's fair to imagine that a fantastic, beautiful 2D game can be made by a tiny team and almost no money. That's not to say that they necessarily should work for low money. Just that it's certainly possible and has certainly been done before.

Gamefreak

Neo Member
We need to make console versions happen guys!
If you're holding back because you're waiting for the stretch goal to be reached, you need to pledge $5 first to show some support, if things go well you can always up your pledge!

Let's do it!

ViviOggi

I don't know their budget or what all the particulars are, but I think it's understandable when people react this way. Ever heard of a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail? It's gorgeous, detailed, lengthy, and full of variety. And made by one person. Art, design,animation, programming. One person. Took him a couple years. In theory he could have made the game for whatever the amount of money it takes to keep someone living and breathing and with electricity for that long, which, obviously, is not even close to a million dollars.

But avoiding such a lenghty and insecure process is the whole point of Kickstarter.

alf717

Man I wish I didn't waffle around with the money I wanted to give. I put some cash in for now but I hope I can hit the tier with the hardcover by the end of the month. Amazing when I went to bed it was 100K + now it is already 450k. I hope this gets funded.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd really like to see a mockup of what the box/manual will look like.

Jobbs

Banned
But avoiding such a lenghty and insecure process is the whole point of Kickstarter.

It was just the most extreme example. Noogy is the ultimate example of a one man powerhouse. The purpose of the example is to point out that you can make really great stuff without many resources -- And is thus why people see a million dollar price tag for a mega man game and may have questions about it. I'm not saying that they should or can all be Noogies. I'm just saying I think it's fair to have questions about a million+ dollar budget for such a basic style of game.

I cant even believe how fast I backed this. I said I was done with Kickstarter....

It can be a shameless MegaMan rip of only because the guy who poured most of his time into the series is actually creating it himself. It looks great! Reminds me of the Zero Series by the animation, but the whole transforming deal reminds me of battle network.

I JUST HOPE THERE IS DASHING AND WALL JUMPING!

Pledged 99+

Dr. Kaos

Banned
As a Gaming student in my final year of college the idea of dropping 500 bucks to work with Inafune's design team (learn from them, make contacts, say I worked on this game) is INCREDIBLY tempting.

If you speak japanese, this is very tempting indeed.

The game is half-funded. Here are a few words I want to say to the skeptics:

I just played Zelda, A link between two worlds, yesterday at PAX and zomg: SO FLUID. It looks like a waterfall flowing from the mountain. It's beautiful and right and godly and zen.

I love 2D, I do. Street Fighter Alpha 4 would enlarge my clitoris, had I one of mine own.

But cell-shaded 3D is the future. I'm a believer. We just need more power and more polygons to get to perfection.

Theecliff

Banned
Just backed a project for the first time ever - feels good! I have a feeling that they're going to reach their goal in the next day or so; it's already getting a crazy amount of backing.

I've never even played a proper Megaman game before but something about this has my interest piqued. I particularly love the concept art.

It was just the most extreme example. Noogy is the ultimate example of a one man powerhouse. The purpose of the example is to point out that you can make really great stuff without many resources -- And is thus why people see a million dollar price tag for a mega man game and may have questions about it. I'm not saying that they should or can all be Noogies. I'm just saying I think it's fair to have questions about a million+ dollar budget for such a basic style of game.

But not everyone can do it. Thats why is a extreme example.

We should question the budgets, but also think that the budgets in Kickstarter are just a part of the actual money they get if is succesuful.

Lum1n3s

Question here, if the games reaches funding before the end period, does that mean that you can't contribute anymore? Or will it keep on going till the day it's supposed to end? I want to contribute a certain amount but not until I get paid a couple of weeks from now.

ViviOggi

I've played Dust and have huge amounts of respect for Noogy, my main point was that a sidescroller isn't basic by default (which Dust partly underlines as well).
By your logic you'd have to question the concept of Kickstarter in itself, of course dedicated developers can and do make amazing games alongside their day jobs - Kickstarter is there to provide these people with financial security and the possibility of putting all of their time and energy into the project.

Midou

Question here, if the games reaches funding before the end period, does that mean that you can't contribute anymore? Or will it keep on going till the day it's supposed to end? I want to contribute a certain amount but not until I get paid a couple of weeks from now.

Goes until last day, they will likely keep adding stretch goals, even if it hits like 4 million or something.

Sciz

Ever heard of a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail? It's gorgeous, detailed, lengthy, and full of variety. And made by one person. Art, design,animation, programming. One person. Took him a couple years. In theory he could have made the game for whatever the amount of money it takes to keep someone living and breathing and with electricity for that long, which, obviously, is not even close to a million dollars.

Took him over four years of pure crunch. It can be done, but I wouldn't wish that sort of stress on my worst enemy.

You can contribute until the ending period. They have strech goal in case it gets funded.

MilkBeard

If you speak japanese, this is very tempting indeed.

The game is half-funded. Here are a few words I want to say to the skeptics:

I just played Zelda, A link between two worlds, yesterday at PAX and zomg: SO FLUID. It looks like a waterfall flowing from the mountain. It's beautiful and right and godly and zen.

I love 2D, I do. Street Fighter Alpha 4 would enlarge my clitoris, had I one of mine own.

But cell-shaded 3D is the future. I'm a believer. We just need more power and more polygons to get to perfection.

This made me chuckle. :) Also, I agree to a certain degree. I still love good 2D art though.

qq more

Yep. I make no bones about my distaste for the classic-only Sonic fanbase. But as you protest repeatedly, that doesnt include the majority of Sonic-Gaf. So what exactly is your problem? I suppose the Sonic furries dont exist if they dont post here either?
No, my problem is that you constantly bring that stupid shit up all the time (and now in a MEGA MAN THREAD NOW OF ALL THINGS). They're the fucking minority, just ignore them. It's just tiring to hear you say this all the time whenever you have the opportunity to do so.

Do you see me constantly complain about people that hates every Pokemon after Gen 1? No. Why? Because I stopped caring what they think and move on.

Honestly, the whole thing is just generalizing non-sense to begin with. Some people don't like the 3D Sonics, big deal.

I'm concerned people might be expecting a disc/cartridge/memory stick with that $60 backing, as opposed to literally a box with (probably) a download code inside.

Top Bottom