• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

itL58sunaeMYJ.gif

Was gonna make this. Thx

Good question! Let us guess—you’ve worked in the game industry? :) Yes, it’s true—our internal estimates for the full production cost of this game are greater than our initial goal, especially once you take out the fees and reward costs. But that’s OK! Both Comcept and Inti Creates have the resources to forgo full funding to make this project happen, since both companies will benefit more than they would in a typical publisher-funded setup once the game releases. To put it simply, if enough fans are excited about this game to hit our initial goal, then we, the companies developing this game, are willing to put up more of our own money as well, right along there with you.

So, no, this is not a case where the initial goal is set irresponsibly low, risking everything in the hopes that the Kickstarter campaign will pay off over expectations and get us where we secretly, actually need to be financially. We do understand that concern, though, and kept it in mind when carefully setting our initial funding goal. More money over the initial goal would be wonderful—don’t get us wrong! :)—in that it could potentially reduce what our companies have to shoulder up front, and of course more importantly make for a lot more features and platforms and other stuff we’d love to see happen. But we have run the numbers and we are fully confident that, should we hit our initial goal and nothing more, we can make a great game that fulfills the promise of this project, both for our backers and for anyone else who plays the game.

I absolutely love their realistic approach to Kickstarter financing.

Not too low that development (if funded) won't be guaranteed, but not too high to prevent the project from getting funded. Comcept has quite practical estimates.

Mr. X

I'd say the Skullgirls Squigly Indiegogo pretty much kicked off this wave of honest breakdowns, considering the amount of "how much?" was defused by the devs giving chapter and verse in where the money is going to.

Skullgirls team took paycuts into account for the IGG. This to me seems like they aren't taking as drastic cuts as that.

SkyOdin

Oh a Mega Man ripoff.

It isn't exactly a rip-off when every person involved with this new game were instrumental in making Mega Man what it is today. It isn't just Inafune, it is Inticreates, the game studio that created the Mega Man Zero series, the ZX series, and Mega Man 9 and 10. Most of the key staff worked on much of the series going back to the original Mega Man. If it was just Inafune, there wouldn't be so much cause for excitement.

So yes, this game is a clone of the Mega Man series, but while it isn't using the Mega Man IP, everything else that made the games great is there.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It isn't exactly a rip-off when every person involved with this new game were instrumental in making Mega Man what it is today. It isn't just Inafune, it is Inticreates, the game studio that created the Mega Man Zero series, the ZX series, and Mega Man 9 and 10. Most of the key staff worked on much of the series going back to the original Mega Man. If it was just Inafune, there wouldn't be so much cause for excitement.

So yes, this game is a clone of the Mega Man series, but while it isn't using the Mega Man IP, everything else that made the games great is there.

If anything to me this feels like an attempt to spiritually rescue Mega Man from Capcom and put such an IP under the control of a more flexible, individual creator/creative team.

El Sloth

Banned
So, I was wondering, is Kickstarter well known among gamers in Japan? I'm going through the backers list and having a hard time spotting any japanese backers.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amazed to see the project receiving the much needed praise and funding this early in the kickstarter. I would love to see all the stretch goals achieved, and that this game gets the well-needed exposure. Not just because it looks to be an awesome project, filling the much needed Megaman-esque gap in many capcom fans and side-scroller fans, but to send a message that a certain waining publisher would learn from this example and preserve their classical IPs. Very excited to see how this plays out.

Busaiku

So, I was wondering, is Kickstarter well known among gamers in Japan? I'm going through the backers list and having a hard time spotting any japanese backers.

Doubt it really.
When Project Phoenix and this are the only(?) Japanese Kickstarters, it's understandable why.

Though Keep Skullgirls Growing (IndieGoGo) did get the 2nd or 3rd most amount of its pledges from Japan. However, the percentage was still relatively small compared to the US.

Vamphuntr

Really glad it's gaining backers quickly. Hopefully it will spread around gaming websites.

I do wonder how the support is looking from the Japanese side. Are they really interested in a PC version or are they hoping for the console stretch goal?

Xater

Really glad it's gaining backers quickly. Hopefully it will spread around gaming websites.

I do wonder how the support is looking from the Japanese side. Are they really interested in a PC version or are they hoping for the console stretch goal?

I am hoping for the console stretch goals, but I am sure it will be hit judging by the amount of interest that seems to be there. Just hope they will update the console list to at least include the PS4. Already asked on Kickstarter about it and I am sure I am not the only one.

Sendou

I hope that this will turn out for the best but I don't have enough fate to drop any money on this until this is out. Gameplay or something like that would be nice too.

thefro

There's no Japanese version of Kickstarter so they have to go on Comcept's page to get the instructions on how to back on the English kickstarter page using Amazon payments.

Comcept's site was down due to all the traffic until a bit ago (they redirected mightyno9.com to the kickstarter page now).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

The Japanese side just links back to the English Kicstarter page which requires you to make a Kickstarter and an Amazon account using English. it sounds inconvenient if you don't understand English.

Glad too see this more than halfway through. Not a project with the highest of profiles (would have reached goal already if it was) but close anyway. And it's nice to see mid-to-high-tier projects get funded quickly.

HeelPower

why do people think this is too high of a goal ? don't AAA games have movie like budgets in the tens of millions ?

I imagine 2.5 million for a high quality , multi-platform game is considerably low.

Although my knowledge is rather rough regarding game budgets.

Even without the whole copyright issue, I think the "spiritual successor" route is the best way to go with Mega Man, especially story-wise. The Mega Man franchise was getting too convoluted.

entremet

why do people think this is too high of a goal ? don't AAA games have movie like budgets in the tens of millions ?

I imagine 2.5 million for a high quality , multi-platform game is considerably low.

Although my knowledge is rather rough regarding game budgets.
It is low. Most people here no have idea about game budgets at all.

If anything to me this feels like an attempt to spiritually rescue Mega Man from Capcom and put such an IP under the control of a more flexible, individual creator/creative team.

It just might be a spiritual "reincarnation" of Mega Man. So far(not accounting any possible installments in the future), Mega Man at Capcom is just a husk of his former self. Where did his robotic spirit go? Maybe with Inafune and all the others, and it's waiting to be reborn into Beck!

I personally think a lot of these games(forgotten, shunned, or out of the current AAA focused trend) do deserve love, and it's obvious fans still love them. If the main right holders of these franchise don't want to do anything positive with he properties, it's all fair for others to try their hand with similar titles inspired(heavily or lightly) by those certain titles. As long as they aren't stealing literal copyrighted ideas(which they don't seem to be, as they seem to be changing the concept just enough to pass it off as something original).

Top Bottom