• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

badb0y

Funny you thought that way, considering this:

AvsfC.png

Damn this guy is salty. He knows this game will sell more copies than Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 combined.

#truthfact

qq more

people stop quoting that kamiya tweet

i mean do we have to explain the same thing over and over

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Damn this guy is salty. He knows this game will sell more copies than Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 combined.

#truthfact

he's not saying Inafune was NEVER a game's creator, just that he is now a businessman

This is a year old tweet as well.

Seriously, what was the last current gen title Inafune directed?

Doesn't really mean anything though, resentments can run deep even with colleagues. His tweet doesn't make much sense.

Well, is not like we can enter Kamiya head to know if it was perjorative... He said it was not and he has the fame of being pretty outspoken (he even mentioned that was pretty critical of Mikami early methods)

RM8

Is this going to break a time record? I'm not familiar with Kickstarter but it's halfway funded now, wow.

badb0y

Except he wasn't being negative.

he's not saying Inafune was NEVER a game's creator, just that he is now a businessman

This tweet is a year old.

#truthfact

You guys need to re-read the question and the answer.

Question: Are you a fan of Keiji Inafune's work?

Note: No where does it say his recent work, the guy is obviously talking about Inafune's body of work.

Answer: He's a buisnessman not a creator.

Yep, the person who created Mega Man, one of the most iconic characters in gaming, is not a creator. Right.

I don't have a problem if you don't like the guy's work but don't be a douchebag.

Come at me Kamiya defense force.

Drek

Technically he's never been credited as a "director", at least according to his Wikipedia page. He has however been credited as "producer" (the same title he held on the MM, RE, and Oni games) with Dead Rising and he was credited as "designer" on Soul Sacrifice.

#truthfact

This is what you said to that tweet.

What you said makes no sense because this kickstarter didn't start a year ago, so he wouldn't be salty about sales since this project didn't exist yet.

Also, I wouldn't call myself a defenseforce for the guy, as I prefer Inafune. Also, truth time, Wonderful 101 will be the first Platinum game I played. Most of their stuff never interested me.

Also, calm down and stop being silly.

goldenpp72

Note: No where does it say his recent work, the guy is obviously talking about Inafune's body of work.

Yep, the person who created Mega Man, one of the most iconic characters in gaming, is not a creator. Right.

I don't have a problem if you don't like the guy's work but don't be a douchebag.

I thought Infaune didn't create Mega Man, just helped escalate it to a relevant IP?

Ishida

Banned
I thought Infaune didn't create Mega Man, just helped escalate it to a relevant IP?

Yeah, he was the character designer. The real creator, the "father" of Mega Man is Akira Kitamura, a creative director who only worked with Capcom during the 80's. Kitamura only worked on the first three Mega Man before handing the helm over to Inafune.

Mr. Kitamura no longer works in the industry.

BiggNife

I agree. I mean, the 3D would be cool, but that 2D art, if done right, would be amazing. Especially if they animated it really fluidly.

Keep dreaming. This is a small team that doesn't have the manpower to make super detailed 2D sprites. It's just too time consuming.

I mean yeah it would be awesome, but it's not going to happen.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya is not exactly wrong about Inafune.

That's because he's the opposite of exactly wrong. He's exactly right. lol

Of course poor Platinum could probably use some businessmen.

They have some. Every game has them.

He's merely commenting that Inafune's role is usually that of producer. Not a creative one.

But people often think of him as such as he's usually the figure head for the games he produces.(which seems to be the case here for Mighty no.9 as well.)

To put it in perspective, giving him credit for creating series like Dead Rising would be like giving Mikami credit for DMC and Resident Evil 2. Or giving Inaba directorial credit for Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta.

I agree. I mean, the 3D would be cool, but that 2D art, if done right, would be amazing. Especially if they animated it really fluidly.

Wouldn't it takes an army of animators and about 10x as much to do that though? I think the most sensible thing to do is develop a 3d engine that looks like hand drawn movement in a 2d plane.

Also, inafune is a business man, at least for the past decade or so. He had a very high up position at capcom. But I also think this project is his way to go back to the creative side he had back during his younger years. I mean, if dead rising 1 was Inafunes last brain child creatively, that was almost 8 years ago.

Sponge

Banned
Honestly though, I'm really happy for all you Mega Man fans out there. There's finally some justice for you guys and hopefully this game gets fully funded.

I just hope sometime in the future, Grant Kirkhope can get his gang together and give us that Banjo spiritual successor.

I mean you Mega Man fans have suffered a couple years, but the sting Microsoft left on Rare is continuous

Banjo%20Kazooie.jpg

One day old friends, one day.

Fisico

Inafune didn't create Megaman (and you could have know it if you had bother reading the previous pages), plus Kamiya tweeted that during the period where Inafune was just trashing japanese developpers as a whole, moreover he is completely right and there's nothing wrong with Inafune being a businessman.

Would be nice if we stop talking about it now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
But I doubt he didn't have a thing to say about them.

Right. Every producer has some input.

but I mean people don't bring up Mikami when talking about DMC and Viewtiful Joe. They just praise Kamiya, they guy directly in charge of shaping and creating the game.

People seem to give Inafune the same amount of credit for his role as producer while ignoring the actual directors of those games because they aren't as famous. So when someone asked Kamiya if he liked "Inafune's works", he pointed out that Inafune isn't really a director. "Inafune's works" are games other people directed.

Hopefully that PewDiePie guy and other famous youtubers make a video about this. That should increase the number of backers by a significant margin.

Right. Every producer has some input.

but I mean people don't bring up Mikami when talking about DMC and Viewtiful Joe. They just praise Kamiya, they guy responsible for directing the game.

People seem to give Inafune the same amount of credit for his role as producer while ignoring the actual directors of those games because they aren't as famous.

That's a good point. But is still stretching to say that didn't have creative input. Even in films is debated the notion of 'authorship' when many things are outside of most directors hands.

We should clarify, but don't completely dissmis.

So when someone asked Kamiya if he liked "Inafune's works", he pointed out that Inafune isn't really a director. "Inafune's works" are games other people directed.

And that's fair, althought some will debate the semantics (they are still important works for the resumé) but is kind difficult when he admitted that he say it 'bussines' man in a positive way.

li bur

Wow. Great campaign for mighty no. 9 So far.

Now I wonder if capcpom develop a new mega man game (can be numbered or x series), will it recieves similar hype? Or maybe mighty no. 9 garners so many hype due to being a crowdfunding project?

OTIX

Donations are gonna stay strong tomorrow as more sites pick up the news. Then it's gonna slow down until it gets to around 2m when a lot more people will jump on board for the console versions. Guessing this will end up around 3-4m, maybe more.

co1onel

Also, inafune is a business man, at least for the past decade or so. He had a very high up position at capcom. But I also think this project is his way to go back to the creative side he had back during his younger years. I mean, if dead rising 1 was Inafunes last brain child creatively, that was almost 8 years ago.

Inafune was the game and concept designer on Soul Sacrifice, which was just released this year.

Kodaman

people stop quoting that kamiya tweet

i mean do we have to explain the same thing over and over

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bayo 2 still hurts it seems...

I kind of don't like the design of Mighty...

Hope game ends up looking like the pics shown

TreIII

Wouldn't it takes an army of animators and about 10x as much to do that though? I think the most sensible thing to do is develop a 3d engine that looks like hand drawn movement in a 2d plane.

Agreed.

The most I would want is something that can do similar with what Arc is doing for Xrd, as suggested earlier. It could be beautiful, if done right. And certainly would be feasible with even a relatively small team like Inti, even if they do want to make a game that could have as much complex morphing and specific animations as this game poses to have.

Sentenza

Is this going to break a time record? I'm not familiar with Kickstarter but it's halfway funded now, wow.
It's doing fine, but it's nowhere near to set any record so far.
Torment: Tides of Numera reached a similar goal (900k) in less than 8 hours since the Kickstarter page was up and there are few other games that did well, passing 1 million in the first day.

Regiruler

looks like yesterday, Keiji Inafune stopped over to see the Yacht Club Games team

QPx23gV.jpg
I saw this yesterday, in one of Shovel Knight's updates. They also explicitly mentioned mighty no. 9 and linked to the page, as they seem to support the project.

I think Inafune is aware of Shovel Knight and appears to like it, as the No 9 ks page mentions Yacht club and S Knight under Matsumae's profile.

Top Bottom