• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Come at me Kamiya defense force.

Yeah...no...

jdZ0Du8yfXXld_e.jpg

Zen

Banned
By posters that didn't even know that it was a year ago.

And that is meaningless aside from putting a time stamp on when it was made. The question was about Inafune's work not 'in the last two months, two years, two decades'. When someone is asking you about their opinion on someones career creatively, and you dismiss it, it takes a special kind of person to thing that the quote having been from a year ago somehow invalidates the statement. Inafune has done plenty in his career creatively, even when he was acting producer. I think it can be put to bed that Twitter is a bad medium for communication, adn within that scope Kamiya made a stupid statement that may or may not be indicative of harboring resentments despite an outwardly friendly attitude when they run into one another.

Who knows, the bottom line is it's a silly statement to make even if meant 'positively' as silly as that may be.

The tweet being or not being a response to Mighty no 9 is completely beside the point.

vireland

I know it's not cheap, but it shouldn't be the last stretch goal. It should at least be given priority over the "making of documentary". In fact it should be in the tier right after the linux and mac versions. As it is right now it just seems like they're holding the console version hostage to gain more support.

The way they've laid their stretch goals out is very smart from a budgeting standpoint. Getting a "making of" is a lot easier than getting to a console platform. And, it's not the last stretch goal. It's the last *current* stretch goal. They're definitely going over and will end up making more.

vireland

How on earth is this not going to get C&D'd?

From the character design to the game structure this is too close to a blatant ripoff of a Capcom IP to be permitted. If you don't defend your marks you lose them...

Look up the legal precedent with Fire Emblem's creator. In the end, he got away with ripping "himself" off when he made a Fire Emblem knockoff because the court concluded it was his "style." Exact same situation here. Some money may change hands, but this will be fine, too. Nintendo already did the lawsuit on a creator and set the precedent against the publisher of the original IP.

And that is meaningless aside from putting a time stamp on when it was made. The question was about Inafune's work not 'in the last two months, two years, two decades'. When someone is asking you about their opinion on someones career creatively, and you dismiss it, it takes a special kind of person to thing that the quote having been from a year ago somehow invalidates the statement. Inafune has done plenty in his career creatively, even when he was acting producer. I think it can be put to bed that Twitter is a bad medium for communication, adn within that scope Kamiya made a stupid statement that may or may not be indicative of harboring resentments despite an outwardly friendly attitude when they run into one another.

Except when they want to make a escapade of drama. Some people were limiting to comment that "shots fired".

I personally don't care about 'resentments' when it has little to do with the topic at hand and we only have twitter posts and photos to do a equally awkward guess.

MarkusRJR

What's the chance they reach the console stretch goal? I really want to help fund but I don't have a competent computer atm (some early 2000's laptop), so consoles are the only way I can play.

Raitaro

So, I was wondering, is Kickstarter well known among gamers in Japan? I'm going through the backers list and having a hard time spotting any japanese backers.

While I don't know the answer to this, I would certainly like to know more about Japan's view on / knowledge of Kickstarter. Apart from Inafune's Kickstarter and that Project Phoenix Kickstarter that is also doing well, it seems like Japanese developers are at least beginning to see the possibilities of crowd funding. This seems to indicate that Japanese gamers will follow this trend as well, just like American and European gamers are doing, but maybe Japanese gamers are different from 'us' and won't jump on this Kickstarted wagon? Any Japanese (or living in Japan) gaffers able to comment?

Also, are there any other Kickstarter projects from Japanese game developers going at the moment? I wonder if these two are exceptions or if there really a broader shift going on in Japan.

I'll probably back this Mighty No.9 game by the way (thinking of the 60 dollar package even). The video really tugged at my heart strings somehow (perhaps because it seemed to be shot in Osaka where I was not too long ago - at least I thought I recognised the Super Potato and the guy working there). Very cool how Inafune's trek through the streets showed elements from real life that found their way into past Mega Man games (such as the bright pink dog and yellow helmet). I always love this kind of inspiration (even though this was a recreation of course). I'm also very curious how this game will turn out and to what degree the larger gaming public will pick it up. I'll be sad if a negative public reception and bad sales will count as justification for Capcom's decisions so far to not develop new Mega Man games...but let's not get ahead of ourselves and enjoy the hype!

MarkMacD

Just wanted to pop in and give our sincere thanks, on behalf of the entire Mighty No. 9 team, to EVERYONE here for supporting the KS campaign, or even just talking about it -- we can see stats on the backend and GAF has already been a -big- source of getting people to check out the page. :D

As long-time GAFers, this is one of the first places we checked, and keep checking, for feedback. So all of everyone's thoughts and opinions, good and bad, are extremely valuable to us -- and not only appreciated, but being relayed directly to the team (even as we're locked up in hotel rooms doing interviews for the rest of PAX).

Once the show is over and we get established back in Tokyo, I'll be back here more often to try to answer questions and address specific concerns. Until then, cannot say thanks enough -- we're going to do our best to live up to your expectations and enthusiasm.

S1kkZ

Just wanted to pop in and give our sincere thanks, on behalf of the entire Mighty No. 9 team, to EVERYONE here for supporting the KS campaign, or even just talking about it -- we can see stats on the backend and GAF has already been a -big- source of getting people to check out the page. :D

As long-time GAFers, this is one of the first places we checked, and keep checking, for feedback. So all of everyone's thoughts and opinions, good and bad, are extremely valuable to us -- and not only appreciated, but being relayed directly to the team (even as we're locked up in hotel rooms doing interviews for the rest of PAX).

Once the show is over and we get established back in Tokyo, I'll be back here more often to try to answer questions and address specific concerns. Until then, cannot say thanks enough -- we're going to do our best to live up to your expectations and enthusiasm.

thats great to hear. please consider a ps4/vita/x1 version. shouldnt be too hard, with the new indy friendly microsoft/sony policies ;)

That's because he's the opposite of exactly wrong. He's exactly right. lol

They have some. Every game has them.

He's merely commenting that Inafune's role is usually that of producer. Not a creative one.

But people often think of him as such as he's usually the figure head for the games he produces.(which seems to be the case here for Mighty no.9 as well.)

To put it in perspective, giving him credit for creating series like Dead Rising would be like giving Mikami credit for DMC and Resident Evil 2. Or giving Inaba directorial credit for Viewtiful Joe and Bayonetta.

It was a joke. I really need to stop attempting those.

PSY・S;79455425 said:
PwjnoPs.jpg

what's with the thong

That's not a thong, it's a crotch tie.

vireland

PSY・S;79455425 said:
PwjnoPs.jpg

what's with the thong

I thought it was a clever cross-cultural callback to Cameo Larry Blackmon's iconic codpiece, implying that this character will have soul and run on funk. Word up.

larryblackmon2.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It was a joke. I really need to stop attempting those.

Lol

I probably would have picked up on it if other people hadn't spitefully responded to the tweet in the same way.

Basically you can never tell on here sometimes. Turns out I just quoted the wrong guy unfortunately

I'd like to know what the staff's reaction to how fast the Kickstarter campaign took off.

The support is amazing for a 2D side scrolling game with a modern take on not Mega Man.

fingers crossed for console version (PSWii-U) specifically

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good point. But is still stretching to say that didn't have creative input. Even in films is debated the notion of 'authorship' when many things are outside of most directors hands.

We should clarify, but don't completely dissmis.

I agree. I mean you can't hate the guy for knowing how to market himself.

mao2

PS4 and Vita versions plz! :p

Anyway the numbers are still going up really fast. Almost $600K!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Fantastic.
But I want to ask something, and I mean: make a 3DS version too!!! A version of the game for the console that, you know, was going to see MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 being released on it ;_________________;

Teknoman

Talk about Electrical Communication.

:p

EDIT: Yeah, seeing a 3DS version or at least a 3DS game from the series (hopefully this becomes a series, need more games with this type of universe this generation) would be perfect after what happened with Legends.

finally took the time to read the Kickstarter

Shout out to the advisor/ Partner Sourcing: Ben Judd (Bionic Commando Rearmed producer)
Mighty No.9 Kickstarter Page said:
Without Ben this project would not exist in the first place

I wondered what happened to him. Glad to see he's still fighting for bringing old school passion into the new era

Top Bottom