• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Honestly though, I'm really happy for all you Mega Man fans out there. There's finally some justice for you guys and hopefully this game gets fully funded.

I just hope sometime in the future, Grant Kirkhope can get his gang together and give us that Banjo spiritual successor.

I mean you Mega Man fans have suffered a couple years, but the sting Microsoft left on Rare is continuous

Banjo%20Kazooie.jpg

One day old friends, one day.

Said to be being built on Unity as well, the Wii U's best friend.

I hope they get Kevin Bayliss for the characters, since he designed DK, Diddy, and numerous Kremlings among others, Steve Mayles did Dixie, K Rool, and I think everyone in the Banjo series.

Kevin is the main character designer alongside Steve, and Kevin's free while Steve is still with his brother Gregg Mayles (creator of Banjo) at Rare.

SgtCobra

Inafune and the team must be at some karaoke bar atm partying all night long after seeing the KS page.
This thing will reach the final stretch goal easily.

Regiruler

Hopefully that PewDiePie guy and other famous youtubers make a video about this. That should increase the number of backers by a significant margin.

From what I've heard about him, he's not the kind of guy to give a shit about this kind of thing.

I think some of the other popular LPers like Game Grumps or Super Best Friends play might give it a shout out as they did one for shovel knight.

Fisico

As long-time GAFers, this is one of the first places we checked, and keep checking, for feedback.

I don't want to be port begging so I won't ask for a specific platform, but the game should be on handhelds, after all both the Zero and ZX series were exclusively for a specific handheld hardware and, unless I'm wrong somewhere, you're targetting the Megaman fans here so...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Backed. Look great, and looking forward to seeing more.

I'm not a fan of a lot of Keiji Inafune's general principles, but a development team is more than just one man.

Hope Capcom sees how far they've failed when this gets massive funding, and learns from it.

qq more

Just wanted to pop in and give our sincere thanks, on behalf of the entire Mighty No. 9 team, to EVERYONE here for supporting the KS campaign, or even just talking about it -- we can see stats on the backend and GAF has already been a -big- source of getting people to check out the page. :D

As long-time GAFers, this is one of the first places we checked, and keep checking, for feedback. So all of everyone's thoughts and opinions, good and bad, are extremely valuable to us -- and not only appreciated, but being relayed directly to the team (even as we're locked up in hotel rooms doing interviews for the rest of PAX).

Once the show is over and we get established back in Tokyo, I'll be back here more often to try to answer questions and address specific concerns. Until then, cannot say thanks enough -- we're going to do our best to live up to your expectations and enthusiasm.
I just want to say I wish you all the best of luck on this project. If the game turns out well, PLEASE make it a series! And perhaps make a MML-esque spinoff! :D

El Sloth

Banned
storafötter;79448845 said:
High definition sprite work with good animation is a lot more expensive to create than 3D models and animation. However I am sure this game is 3D.
So am I. Seems pretty clear they're aiming for a 2.5D look. I made that comment in response to the people in this thread thinking there's a chance this thing will end up 2D like the concept art.

Now, what would kind of level design would service the game better?

Run and gun (classic MM)
Revisitable levels designed for exploration (X)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)
RPG with interconnected zones (EXE)
Or an action RPG with dungeons (Dash)

Run and gun (classic MM)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)

Run and gun for me with a pinch of exploration/hidden crap in the levels.

duckroll

Run and gun (classic MM)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)

The first two are the only viable options. The other two can fuck off imo! :p

qq more

Run and gun (classic MM)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)

A mix of Classic and X.

Rhapsody

Banned

Run and gun (classic MM)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)

I'm expecting it'll be classic run and gun. I don't see Inafune trying much outside of that considering who this project is targetting.

I'm hoping they go crazy on the abilities though. Seeing some of the concept art, it'd be neat to see individual armor parts of bosses. So maybe classic run and gun with some bits of X and Legends for equipment.

MCD

I wouldn't call MMZ a Metroivania. It was stage based but you have the option to go back to whatever stage you want on foot instead of selecting it from a menu.

MMZX on the other hand is a Metroidvania.

Its easily going to get to 1.2 million now at this rate. I hope it gets to 2.5 million. I'd love a Miiverse community for essentially mega man.

Vamphuntr

Run and gun (classic MM)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)

X style for me but I'm okay with classic MM style.

vg260

I'm so tempted...but I hate kickstarter. It will get made, so I'll just buy it then. This will be fascinating to watch progress.

This shows how badly Capcom has mismanaged the Mega Man IP. There's obviously pent up demand, if only they didn't keep fucking up with bland spin-offs or by canceling the only project that fans were really clamoring for (after hanging it out in front of them and encouraging community involvement). Glad to see the fans funnel their support towards people who actually give a damn.

Of course, I half expect Capcom to suddenly see dollar signs and hastily slap together some DD Mega Man game to soak up some of the fervor generated by this thing...

And to think Capcom sits on an IP that generates this kind of buzz and allows this sort of thing to happen....

There's so much buzz precisely because Capcom is sitting on Mega Man.

It's fun to imagine that building desire and relaunching the brand was Capcom's plan all along and this kickstarter completely sabotaged that.

vg260

Of course, I half expect Capcom to suddenly see dollar signs and hastily slap together some DD Mega Man game to soak up some of the fervor generated by this thing...

There might be something in development for next-gen platforms, but who knows if this just threw a major wrench in their plans. What if there is and this beats them to it? Could this kill interest in an actual MM game?

edit: beaten
There's so much buzz precisely because Capcom is sitting on Mega Man.

It's fun to imagine that building desire and relaunching the brand was Capcom's plan all along and this kickstarter completely sabotaged that.

chrono01

I'll either pledge the $60 or $99 today, I haven't fully decided.

I'll probably go with the $99 just to support this Kickstarter further, and the t-shirt would be nice to have [although I'd never wear it, I would treat it as a "collectible"] and I'm curious about the extra transformation you get. I'd really like to go for the $250 version, but I have a large number of figures pre-ordered that's due for release in September, so that's already going to crush me money-wise. :(

There might be something in development for next-gen platforms, but who knows if this just threw a major wrench in their plans. What if there is and this beats them to it? Could this kill interest in an actual MM game?

edit: beaten

Nahhh. I hope Capcom does have some plans of their own. I'll get excited for that, too. The more the merrier.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Of course, I half expect Capcom to suddenly see dollar signs and hastily slap together some DD Mega Man game to soak up some of the fervor generated by this thing..

I completely expect them to, and I won't buy it. This game is only asking for 2.5 that makes me wonder what was the budget he had at capcom? I will be following this one closely for sure. I am excited to see what the actual sales are of non backers.

Boke1879

In less than 24hrs $600k damn. I wonder what the execs at Capcom think.

I think this can easily make the 2.5 million in order for it to be made on consoles.

I'm backing this because this looks amazing and will no doubt be the spiritual successor to Mega Man. I'm also backing this as a BIG middle finger to Capcom for the way they've treated Megaman, It's fanbase and Inafune.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Too early to say that. No money has even been made yet.

As a kickstarter this is doing excellently and I'm extremely happy for the people involved and optimistic about the project

but it's way too early to be basking in the Capcom schadenfreude. It's not like this 600,000 is pure profit.

MCD

First Project Phoenix and now this! Great! More Japan kickstarters please :)

I didn't like Project Phoenix look but Mighty 9 is instant backed.

I grew up playing most of Infaking games, from Mega Man to Lost Planet. This gonna be sweet.

Top Bottom