• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Regiruler

There's so much buzz precisely because Capcom is sitting on Mega Man.

It's fun to imagine that building desire and relaunching the brand was Capcom's plan all along and this kickstarter completely sabotaged that.

*tinfoil hat* That or inafune still actually works for Capcom and this is part of their grand scheme. /hat

chrono01

So, I'm really thinking of pledging $250 now. Someone stop me!

A signed hardcover copy of the art book/strategy guide by Inafune-san would be amazing, as would the poster. I would get both physical games boxes, both physical manuals, both t-shirts, all of the in-game bonus goodies [golden Beck, exclusive transformation], the plushie, and beta access.

That's a lot of Mighty No. 9! I think I might just go ahead and do this, a game such as this doesn't come along often, and I really respect the people/idea behind it.

But I'll probably just pledge the $99 now and then up-pledge later if I decide to.

MIGHTY MAN

mightymanyukk1.jpg

Now he just needs an enormous, immensely hideous robot dog sidekick.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
No actual product and 600k pledged in a day. Seems like a pretty good indicator.

600k raised from 10,000 people. Half of which paid for more than the actual cost of the game and expect more than the game in return. So it's not any real indication of revenue generated by releasing a similar product for the same price.

So I don't see how it proves Capcom was wrong that Megaman games don't make money. So far it's only proved that half the people that buy them would be willing to pay way more for the games if they got something more out of it in return.(a cost that comes out of the money raised. along with whatever kickstarter fees)

It's definitely on the right track to proving something to Capcom. If the game comes out and sells really well and reviews really well it would send a huge message that not only do people want this kind of game, but that fan and community involvement in the development process can really pay off.(unlike with what happened with MML3) I'm personally really excited to see that happen.

but I mean right now at this point in time, it's not proving much beyond that a megaman kickstarter would probably be a pretty successful kickstarter.

duckroll

Fuzzy math projection from my butt:

Day 1: ~700-750k
Day 2: ~350-400k
Day 3: ~150-200k
Days 4-13: ~40-50k each
Days 14-18: ~20-30k each
Days 19-28: ~10-15k each
Day 29: ~100-200k
Day 30: ~200-300k
Day 31: ~200-500k

I think it's highly likely that they will hit the 2.5 million goal by the end of the project, and how strong the push is at the end of the project will depend a lot on whether it has hit that goal yet. If it hasn't, the push could be a lot stronger. 2.5-3 million total seems like a reasonable end point right now.

Of course most of this is from my butt, so things could change later. :p

chugen

I think it's highly likely that they will hit the 2.5 million goal by the end of the project, and how strong the push is at the end of the project will depend a lot on whether it has hit that goal yet. If it hasn't, the push could be a lot stronger. 2.5-3 million total seems like a reasonable end point right now.

i like this butt

Regiruler

Are you the alternate forme of CBOAT?

Valentus

I bet this is the real Rockman 9 Inafune wanted to do in Capcpom, and i bet too that still hurts in his inside that The Mighty No.9 can't be called Rockman 9.

Anyway, backed so hard and Fuck You Capcom.

I bet this is the real Rockman 9 Inafune wanted to do in Capcpom, and i bet too that still hurts in his inside that The Mighty No.9 can't be called Rockman 9.

Anyway, backed so hard and Fuck You Capcom.

I wouldn't say that. Mega Man 9 was made on the back of the huge wave of Mega Man 2 culture/nostalgia that had been building up on the internet for years, and the love of old Famicom stuff. This is more like, compensating for the cancellation of Mega Man Universe and Legends 3.

goldenpp72

I think people are being really unfair towards Capcom in regards to the Mega Man series 'pent up demand' considering how badly all of the games were selling. There is obvious demand for the series, but Capcom does not have the option of charging 100, 200, 5,000, etc dollars for a game in order to rake in X amount of revenue. They are a slave to a system of selling the games for a fixed amount (40-60 bucks) and stopping there. If 10000 people are willing to pay 500 bucks but only pay 50 with an official release, this shouldn't be considered a failure on Capcoms end.

Mega Man ZX and Advent bombed, the Zero series never sold that hot, and the highest selling MM title of all time probably only did a few million units, with the legends series never even breaking a million to my understanding. MM is a series that has a powerful but small fanbase these days, and while Capcom could venture to make a newer and bigger entry to attract new people, it's really the lack of fan demand and sales that are stopping them from making more, as seen by the abysmal sales of MM10. It seems like the series always starts strong and then just falls off a cliff, X1 sold a ton, not so much 2 and 3, X4 did well, X5 and beyond not so much, same for the original MM games, Legends, etc. It's an unstable series.

Capcom will release games when they feel money is there, and i'd like to point out that even 5 million dollars is chump change to make a big budget MM title these days, so I doubt the end result of this will do anything to sway their opinion unfortunately. It would have to do astronomical figures to make a dent in their stance, but I do hope Capcom revisits the series one day in a meaningful way, and not in the 8-bit way.

joe2187

Banned
What was the fallout between Capcom and Inafune anyway?

Here's a super long interview he gave when he left Capcom. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847&page=2

Basically I think he didn't like how they restructured the company, putting priority on only a few IPs, then bloating the development of the IPs to a point it's absurd and not really worth it. And then inflating their expected sales to cover their costs to an insane degree.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a super long interview he gave when he left Capcom. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847&page=2

Basically I think he didn't like how they restructured the company, putting priority on only a few IPs, then bloating the development of the IPs to a point it's absurd and not really worth it. And then inflating their expected sales to cover their costs to an insane degree.

If that's true he was really spot on in that regard

Mega Man ZX and Advent bombed, the Zero series never sold that hot, and the highest selling MM title of all time probably only did a few million units, with the legends series never even breaking a million to my understanding. MM is a series that has a powerful but small fanbase these days, and while Capcom could venture to make a newer and bigger entry to attract new people, it's really the lack of fan demand and sales that are stopping them from making more, as seen by the abysmal sales of MM10. It seems like the series always starts strong and then just falls off a cliff, X1 sold a ton, not so much 2 and 3, X4 did well, X5 and beyond not so much, same for the original MM games, Legends, etc. It's an unstable series.

Source?

Angelcurio

I hope the game looks more like the artwork since that little stage part they showed on the video looked somewhat generic, while the artwork image of the robot jumping looks superb.

Dyack must be crying seeing how in just one day Mighty No.9 has gotten more funds than the two whole KS campaigns of Shadow of Eternals

I hope the game looks more like the artwork since that little stage part they showed on the video looked somewhat generic, while the artwork image of the robot jumping looks superb.

Dyack must be crying seeing how in just one day Mighty No.9 has gotten more funds than the two whole KS campaigns of Shadow of Eternals

Now, now, no need to kick someone while they're down.

qq more

I think people are being really unfair towards Capcom in regards to the Mega Man series 'pent up demand' considering how badly all of the games were selling. There is obvious demand for the series, but Capcom does not have the option of charging 100, 200, 5,000, etc dollars for a game in order to rake in X amount of revenue. They are a slave to a system of selling the games for a fixed amount (40-60 bucks) and stopping there. If 10000 people are willing to pay 500 bucks but only pay 50 with an official release, this shouldn't be considered a failure on Capcoms end.

Capcom will release games when they feel money is there, and i'd like to point out that even 5 million dollars is chump change to make a big budget MM title these days, so I doubt the end result of this will do anything to sway their opinion unfortunately. It would have to do astronomical figures to make a dent in their stance, but I do hope Capcom revisits the series one day in a meaningful way, and not in the 8-bit way.

There's a lot I want to say but I'm too busy and kind of bit burned out from arguing a lot. So I'll pick some points and argue with that.

Best selling game being a million of units? I don't see how that is a bad thing since most Mega Man games aren't high budgeted (and they don't need to be) in the first place.

And MM10 sales abysmal? Source?

Biker19

Banned
If that's true he was really spot on in that regard

He is (The entire interview starts on the 1st page).

Japanese publishers/developers needs to wake up. Western publishers/developers have already taken over their crown this generation with Wii/PS3/360.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I expect this will play about as terribly as A.R.E.S. where it barely feels like a flash game.

We'll see though, I guess.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

This is also totally a guess on my part, but I see it making about 2-2.5 million. I think 3 million might be a stretch. Honestly though, this all depends on how well they hype it after the initial two days. There NEEDS to be an update once every day during the KS funding period for the funding to stay somewhat consistent.

goldenpp72

Wiki for Advents Japanese sales.

Mega Man ZX Advent was the tenth best-selling game in Japan during its release week at 21,379 units sold.[22] 63,977 units of the game were sold in the region by the end of 2007.[23]

Mega Man Zero

Capcom reported healthy sales of Mega Man Zero during its release period.[37][38] It was the third best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release at 66,990 units.[39] Famitsu sales data supports that Mega Man Zero sold 135,850 units by June 2002 and 231,166 units by the end of that year in Japan alone.[40][41] The popularity of Mega Man Zero spawned three direct sequels on the GBA

Mega Man Zero 2

Mega Man Zero 2 was the seventh best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release at 53,839 copies and climbed to the number one spot the following week with an additional 25,283 copies sold.[16][17] The game appeared on Famitsu magazine's top 30 best-sellers list for the following four weeks.[18][19][20][21] By the end of 2003, Mega Man Zero 2 had sold 158,479 copies in Japan alone.

Mega Man Zero 3

Mega Man Zero 3 was the fourth best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release.[13] It was the 106th best-selling game in the country for 2004 at 121,847 units sold.[

Mega Man Zero 4

Mega Man Zero 4 entered Japanese sales charts at number eight during its release week.[31] According to Media Create sales information, Mega Man Zero 4 was the 177th best-selling video game in Japan in 2005 at approximately 74,354 copies

Mega Man Legends 2

The PlayStation version of Mega Man Legends 2 was the 139th best-selling video game in Japan in 2000 at 88,131 units sold.[58] The PSP version of the game barely made it into the Famitsu top 500 best-sellers list in Japan for 2005 at a mere 15,309 units sold by the end of the year.[59]

Also Capcoms own sales data released a few years ago.

Mega Man Series (120 titles, 28,000,000)

This logic basically applies to every game in the MM series, the initial game sells a lot, the next game sells ok, and it gets worse and worse, but after Zero the ZX series never really took off in a meaningful way, and while MM9 seemed to sell a lot, 10 was noted to be a lot less successful. It's as if people think Capcom was seeing big numbers and said man, fuck money, let's not make that anymore. There is a reason the series tapered off, and it wasn't a hate of fans and money.

Let's do a fun math game and be really generous with it too, let's just assume the amount of 'main' Mega Man releases is actually much less than 120. Lets say there have been 40 'main' releases of the MM series all around on portables and consoles, now lets say the units sold was actually 30 million, that would be around 750k sales per game. Unfortunately, there have been many more releases than that, and some of those games (Mega Man 2, 3, X) sold some millions of units. Does this really seem like a high selling and powerful series?

If any of my information or math are wrong, i'm happy to be corrected. I own almost every single US release of the Mega Man series (only missing 1 game boy and the game gear title) so please know, I love this series, and I hate what has happened to it. I just also can kind of see why Capcom has neglected it when the RE series outsells the entire MM series combined after 4 or 5 games -_- Also keep in mind, that Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were both meant to be the first of many, and this was way before Capcom abandoned the series, once again, it must be that they sold a lot and Capcom are just jerks, right?

With that said, I think i'll be putting in 60 for this particular game as I'd like a boxed 'release' for my collection, I fully support the idea of the game since obviously no one else is doing it, but I also understand that this option isn't really viable for big companies and also understand the difference between appealing to 100,000 people who are willing to put in money for a digital release, vs a company trying to make a big budget game that sells at a fixed price and needs more than 100k people to profit.

Kurod

Banned
I expect this will play about as terribly as A.R.E.S. where it barely feels like a flash game.

We'll see though, I guess.

I was so desperate for a new MM game I actually picked that up on steam. At least it was super cheap.

But yeah...this is Inti Creates. I think they'll greatly surpass your extremely low expectations.

Durante

I don't know how much you know about kickstarter, but I am an expert. Fatigue and drop-offs are a huge part of it.

Joking aside, I think it will drop off more steeply than your estimations. I particularly don't see it doing 40-50k for almost 2 weeks after the initial swell. On the other hand, I may be overestimating how front-loaded it will be. Games have become progressively more frontloaded overall on KS, but this is not a typical KS game (RPG/adventure/indie PC thing) so it may bring in a new audience over time.

Azure J

Now, what would kind of level design would service the game better?

Run and gun (classic MM)
Revisitable levels designed for exploration (X)
Metroidvania (MMZ, ZX)
RPG with interconnected zones (EXE)
Or an action RPG with dungeons (Dash)

Why does everyone group MMZ in with Metroidvanias? The only game in the franchise like that was Z1, every other one was like turbocharged MMX.

That out of the way, first two please. Been a while since we had some good old fashion dash and blasts.

Eusis

I don't know how much you know about kickstarter, but I am an expert. Fatigue and drop-offs are a huge part of it.

Joking aside, I think it will drop off more steeply than your estimations. I particularly don't see it doing 40-50k for almost 2 weeks after the initial swell. On the other hand, I may be overestimating how front-loaded it will be. Games have become progressively more frontloaded overall on KS, but this is not a typical KS game (RPG/adventure/indie PC thing) so it may bring in a new audience over time.
Shovel Knight and Giana Sisters are probably good reference points, and we'll see what happens with Wayforward's kickstarter this week.

rjc571

Banned
Wiki for Advents Japanese sales.

Mega Man ZX Advent was the tenth best-selling game in Japan during its release week at 21,379 units sold.[22] 63,977 units of the game were sold in the region by the end of 2007.[23]

Mega Man Zero

Capcom reported healthy sales of Mega Man Zero during its release period.[37][38] It was the third best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release at 66,990 units.[39] Famitsu sales data supports that Mega Man Zero sold 135,850 units by June 2002 and 231,166 units by the end of that year in Japan alone.[40][41] The popularity of Mega Man Zero spawned three direct sequels on the GBA

Mega Man Zero 2

Mega Man Zero 2 was the seventh best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release at 53,839 copies and climbed to the number one spot the following week with an additional 25,283 copies sold.[16][17] The game appeared on Famitsu magazine's top 30 best-sellers list for the following four weeks.[18][19][20][21] By the end of 2003, Mega Man Zero 2 had sold 158,479 copies in Japan alone.

Mega Man Zero 3

Mega Man Zero 3 was the fourth best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release.[13] It was the 106th best-selling game in the country for 2004 at 121,847 units sold.[

Mega Man Zero 4

Mega Man Zero 4 entered Japanese sales charts at number eight during its release week.[31] According to Media Create sales information, Mega Man Zero 4 was the 177th best-selling video game in Japan in 2005 at approximately 74,354 copies

Mega Man Legends 2

The PlayStation version of Mega Man Legends 2 was the 139th best-selling video game in Japan in 2000 at 88,131 units sold.[58] The PSP version of the game barely made it into the Famitsu top 500 best-sellers list in Japan for 2005 at a mere 15,309 units sold by the end of the year.[59]

Also Capcoms own sales data released a few years ago.

Mega Man Series (120 titles, 28,000,000)

This logic basically applies to every game in the MM series, the initial game sells a lot, the next game sells ok, and it gets worse and worse, but after Zero the ZX series never really took off in a meaningful way, and while MM9 seemed to sell a lot, 10 was noted to be a lot less successful. It's as if people think Capcom was seeing big numbers and said man, fuck money, let's not make that anymore. There is a reason the series Tapered off, and it wasn't a hate of fans and money.

Let's do a fun math game and be really generous with it too, let's just assume the amount of 'main' Mega Man releases is actually much less than 120. Lets say there have been 40 'main' releases of the MM series all around on portables and consoles, now lets say the units sold was actually 30 million, that would be around 750k sales per game. Unfortunately, there have been many more releases than that, and some of those games (Mega Man 2, 3, X) sold some millions of units. Does this really seem like a high selling and powerful series?

If any of my information or math are wrong, i'm happy to be corrected. I own almost every single US release of the Mega Man series (only missing 1 game boy and the game gear title) so please know, I love this series, and I hate what has happened to it. I just also can kind of see why Capcom has neglected it when the RE series outsells the entire MM series combined after 4 or 5 games -_- Also keep in mind, that Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X were both meant to be the first of many, and this was way before Capcom abandoned the series, once again, it must be that they sold a lot and Capcom are just jerks, right?

Nowhere in this unnecessarily long-winded series of wild speculations and non sequiturs did you cite a single fact to justify your claim that Mega Man 10's sales were "abysmal".

duckroll

Yeaaah, I don't put a ton of stock in it myself, those were just quick projections I pulled out of my ass based on how it looks in the first 20 hours. We don't have enough data to say anything with confidence right now, but one thing I did take into consideration is that because it was announced on a weekend at PAX Prime without any prior hint or tease, it's likely many people haven't even heard of this yet, and the press and blogs won't really be covering it in more detail until the working week starts. We'll see.

goldenpp72

Where?

I have no doubts that it sold less than Mega Man 9 with the crazy amount of hype that game got, but I doubt it was an alarming difference.

Someone here posted data on this awhile ago but, being away from home and tethering my phone for lousy internet, my ability to search for obscure data is limited. One option though would be to check the leaderboards for each game (on any console) as i'm sure the difference is quite large.

The thing is, most series don't have this huge decline the moment a sequel hits, they usually sell comparable or more. Mega Man 9 was a game that banked hard on nostalgia and, apparently did well enough to immediately get a 10th game released. Once that released no further rumors or development had occurred after with even a hint towards a sequel. All I can ask is, do you think the game sold a lot and Capcom said, meh, too much money, let's stop making this, or do you think they said this is not worth investing further and we should put our resources elsewhere, or other?

No company will pass on free money, but the MM series was never really huge, even at the series biggest point (MM2) it was a pale shadow compared to the likes of the big boys (Mario, Zelda) and that strength didn't really last passed the forth entry, the 6th game almost didn't release here and the 7th game sold so badly that it cost like 100+ dollars to buy the cart these days.

I guess because I have played and followed this series from the beginning of my childhood and own them all and have played almost all of them, I feel I have a really good grasp on the series. For every person like me though, there are 10 other 'fans' who probably skipped 8 out of the last 10 games released. I'd actually be curious to see how many MM titles the big fans have actually played as it would probably lead to amazing evidence to how weak the series is, even among people who call themselves fans.

Top Bottom