• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

goldenpp72

I think i'm going to do a pledge for the 60 dollar tier for the game and box, but I've never used kickstarter. I'm from the US so, I can just pledge the 60 dollars and not put in more for shipping right? Any other things I should know as this will be my first pledge.

weevles

Capcom is too busy making Dead Rising 3 and other Western-style games.

So far, per Inafune, Capcom hasn't reacted. Seems like he changed enough where it would be hearts and minds issue if Capcom were to intervene--the fans would not take kindly to Capcom playing evil corp to take away something that's obviously got some grass-roots momentum.

BearChair

I think i'm going to do a pledge for the 60 dollar tier for the game and box, but I've never used kickstarter. I'm from the US so, I can just pledge the 60 dollars and not put in more for shipping right? Any other things I should know as this will be my first pledge.

Pledge the money. When the Kickstarter is over, if it is successful, you will be charged. When the creator decides (it could be months), they will send you a survey via Kickstarter to fill out where you will give your information, and if it gets that far, what platform you want the game.

Good Kickstarters will offer regular, usually monthly, updates on the state of the project that you will receive via e-mail but will also be on the Kickstarter page.

In this case, it looks like Comcept is setting up its own message board for backers on its site. I think they will be handling all of that, not Kickstarter. So I don't really know how that aspect will work for backers.

vireland

no way in hell capcom ever lets this get to market. even his shooting stance is the same as mega man.

Please familiarize yourself with substantial legal precedents in Japan before making statements like this. Start with the most recent I'm aware of - Fire Emblem's creator leaving the fold and making Tear Ring Saga with Enterbrain, Nintendo suing, and losing, appealing, getting a pittance but not an injunction, appealing again, and losing. Court ruled that the similarities are because of the creator's "style" and Nintendo didn't own that.

It's not a solitary precedent. He'll be fine. Look and feel lawsuits in games are VERY hard to win. Ripoffs are Gameloft's entire business model.

goldenpp72

Pledge the money. When the Kickstarter is over, if it is successful, you will be charged. When the creator decides (it could be months), they will send you a survey via Kickstarter to fill out where you will give your information, and if it gets that far, what platform you want the game.

Good Kickstarters will offer regular, usually monthly, updates on the state of the project that you will receive via e-mail but will also be on the Kickstarter page.

In this case, it looks like Comcept is setting up its own message board for backers on its site. I think they will be handling all of that, not Kickstarter. So I don't really know how that aspect will work for backers.

That sounds cool, would be fun to keep up with it, but I also want to verify if I pay 60 that I will get the 60 dollar tier right, I don't need to add shipping on my own or anything (if i'm in the US). I saw someone mention otherwise earlier but wasn't entirely sure.

Fireblend

Banned
That sounds cool, would be fun to keep up with it, but I also want to verify if I pay 60 that I will get the 60 dollar tier right, I don't need to add shipping on my own or anything (if i'm in the US). I saw someone mention otherwise earlier but wasn't entirely sure.

If you're in the US, $60 is all you should pledge. For this project, at least. Others may vary.

Just click the pledge link, write $60 into the box, and select the tier you want.

BearChair

If you are in the US, then there should be no other charges once the Kickstarter is over.

Remember, with Kickstarter you are not actually buying anything. You are looking at a project and saying that you believe that it is worth a certain amount of money. The creator decides that with specific funding, it will give specific tiers of rewards.

It is patronage not a preorder or investment. So far, I believe the court precedent with Kickstarter is that if the project would not finish once the Kickstarter is over, the creator is under no obligation to return your money. To be clear, I am absolutely not saying that is likely with this project, just that it has happened in the past.

When the Kickstarter is over, the money is taken from your account and transferred via Kickstarter and Amazon to the creator. That is the only time you can really be charged. Both Kickstarter and Amazon take a cut and give the remainder to the creator (not sure if its a percentage or flat amount), but you are not liable for any of that. Good Kickstarter projects build that fee into the funding at this point.

I wonder if this'll be Mega Man Legends 3. Oh side-scroller.

If you watch the Kickstarter video, Inafune basically implies that he felt like he let fans down when Capcom canceled Mega Man Legends 3, and this project is him figuring out how to get the same level of fan involvement in a project that can actually come to market via Kickstarter. While it's 2[.5]D, his intention is for this to make good on Mega Man Legends 3.

Fans have all the right to be upset (as I am) but they should also point the finger at the people who do not support the series in general as the fault, otherwise we would have had Powered up 2, Mega Man 11, and a sequel to Legends and Advent. Money talks, and fans failed to put up the money regardless of what system the games released on, with plenty of excuses to go around (too many sequels, not interested in this style of Mega Man, don't own that system, etc)

In fairness, I would have bought Mega Man 10 a lot sooner if it didn't just take me -- no joke -- 4 years to finally beat Mega Man 9. Mega Man 10 is still probably going to eventually be one of my final download purchases for my Wii, but I still have most of the games in the Mega Man X Collection to play through for the first time anyhow. There are a lot of Mega Man games out there already that plenty of people want to play, but that not everyone played through to completion when they were new.

Please familiarize yourself with substantial legal precedents in Japan before making statements like this. Start with the most recent I'm aware of - Fire Emblem's creator leaving the fold and making Tear Ring Saga with Enterbrain, Nintendo suing, and losing, appealing, getting a pittance but not an injunction, appealing again, and losing. Court ruled that the similarities are because of the creator's "style" and Nintendo didn't own that.

It's not a solitary precedent. He'll be fine. Look and feel lawsuits in games are VERY hard to win. Ripoffs are Gameloft's entire business model.

Absolute truth. I'm sure Kenji Inafune knows where his legal boundaries stand with this design and worked within those confines. This character is about as much of a copy to Mega Man as Mega Man was to Astro Boy (which was the original inspiration for Mega Man), really. Derivative yes, but changed just enough to probably make it legal.

The main character design is a bit "meh" to me, nothing really stands out about it. But it's nice to see this project succeeding all the same. No doubt it will hit its funding goal with time to spare to reach some of those stretch goals, but I have some doubts that it will have enough steam to hit 2.5 million. Usually there is a big drop off after the first couple days.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, it's been a little over 24 hours and I'm already craving an update with more art or something. Hopefully they realize the potential of creating more content to drive pledges and are working their asses off right now
KuGsj.gif

My educated guess is this will reach around 1.2mil within the first 5 days or so, and earn the rest of the stretchgoals between the sixth and last day with a small boost at the end.

also i really want a good version of this:

fEBzAQY.png

Maxim726X

If this does indeed get to 2.5 million, Capcom will be forced to see how much they fucked up and they will have to attempt to revive the franchise somehow... Right?

Teppic

In fairness, I would have bought Mega Man 10 a lot sooner if it didn't just take me -- no joke -- 4 years to finally beat Mega Man 9. Mega Man 10 is still probably going to eventually be one of my final download purchases for my Wii, but I still have most of the games in the Mega Man X Collection to play through for the first time anyhow. There are a lot of Mega Man games out there already that plenty of people want to play, but that not everyone played through to completion when they were new.
I think you'll have a much easier time with Mega Man 10, and I'm not even talking about the easy mode. The normal mode feels much more like one of the NES games than MM9. In MM9 I found that you have to do things in a very specific order to succeed in the game, with almost no room for failure. None of the NES games worked like that. It's not that it was badly designed, but I didn't like the way it played compared to the others. It was like a long memorization challenge, with many parts you had to play many times until you got them right.

Eusis

If this does indeed get to 2.5 million, Capcom will be forced to see how much they fucked up and they will have to attempt to revive the franchise somehow... Right?
They'd wait on SSB.

... Which is probably the best idea actually, get him seen again in a mega popular game.

Absolute truth. I'm sure Kenji Inafune knows where his legal boundaries stand with this design and worked within those confines. This character is about as much of a copy to Mega Man as Mega Man was to Astro Boy (which was the original inspiration for Mega Man), really. Derivative yes, but changed just enough to probably make it legal.

This. I'm sure the man has been in close contact with several lawyers on this.

Busaiku

Hopefully all of those interviews and stuff are spaced out well so it keeps attention on this for a longer period of time.

Rhapsody

Banned

They'll instead start their own kickstarter and receive backlash. Then blame the fans if it doesn't reach their goal regardless of boycotters.

Only joking though... kinda.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Donated.

Though I think it's gonna pull through anyway. XD Can't wait to see the finished product!

no way in hell capcom ever lets this get to market. even his shooting stance is the same as mega man.

No way Capcom is going to try and take this down. Not only would it not hold up in court but it would be a TERRIBLE PR move at this stage when Capcom's PR already is pretty bad.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who is hyped as fuck based solely on the fact that Inti Creates is on board? Inafune is the icing on the cake but for me the biggest draw is having staff from the MM Zero involved.

Eusis

Am I the only one who is hyped as fuck based solely on the fact that Inti Creates is on board? Inafune is the icing on the cake but for me the biggest draw is having staff from the MM Zero involved.
It's certainly confidence inspiring. It's one thing to have nebulous "staff from <insert game here>", it's another to not only have recognizable names but THE developers of recent, very good games of this type. Less like the inXile Kickstarters (though I'm optimistic there!) and more like the Project Eternity Kickstarter where we saw what they were making lately and understand that at worst we'll have a gem in the rough. Actually, relevant to THAT this is actually way, way ahead in terms of likely to be great.

Top Bottom