• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

AColdDay

I'm so happy to support projects like this and it makes me excited about the potential to see more of these types of projects coming from venerated Japanese developers. Pledged at the 20 dollar level!

IrishNinja

Shame Yuki Naka isnt interested in making one for a classic Sonic clone. Maybe that would shut up that annoyingly rabid fanbase too.

yeah, i cant throw myself in with sonic fans, but after colors, generations & the way lost world is shaping up, its hard not to get excited...and something like this would be awesome

I would be hesitant to back a Sonic clone from Yuji Naka

...why? you think he doesnt have it anymore, or want something else from Prope?

Squire

Banned
Please familiarize yourself with substantial legal precedents in Japan before making statements like this. Start with the most recent I'm aware of - Fire Emblem's creator leaving the fold and making Tear Ring Saga with Enterbrain, Nintendo suing, and losing, appealing, getting a pittance but not an injunction, appealing again, and losing. Court ruled that the similarities are because of the creator's "style" and Nintendo didn't own that.

It's not a solitary precedent. He'll be fine. Look and feel lawsuits in games are VERY hard to win. Ripoffs are Gameloft's entire business model.

Legal action would bleed out the team though. That's the concern (or it should be): Not that Capcom would win, but that they would start the fight at all.

I can't imagine they don't have a plan for that, though.

clem84

Gold Member
Anyone care to guess what the two mystery stretch goals are? Physical Dreamcast version would be nice... One can always dream.

vireland

Legal action would bleed out the team though. That's the concern (or it should be): Not that Capcom would win, but that they would start the fight at all.

I can't imagine they don't have a plan for that, though.

While that might be a common strategy in the west, it's simply not the way it's done in Japan in my experience, especially when fairly substantial caselaw there is stacked STRONGLY against the original publisher in cases like this.

Another anecdote was when Sony ripped off Gunstar Heroes with Gunner's Heaven. Maegawa was seething about the blatant ripoff and wanted to sue, but in the end it was decided the case would be tough to win and he didn't do it.

qq more

Can I download it through my Vita via the PSN? I don't have a PS3.

yeah there's that Rockman Complete Works series on PSN which are just ports of MM1-6 with remixed soundtracks (for at least the last 3 games) and some other features

they're all in japanese but that shouldn't be a problem at all

you can also get the all 6 NES Mega Man games on the 3DS while the Wii U has the first 4 of them.

Anyone care to guess what the two mystery stretch goals are? Physical Dreamcast version would be nice... One can always dream.

No, that will not be a thing.

Most likely Next gen/PSV support will be one of them. As for the other? Co-op or at least a second character to play is surely the other. Being able to play as Beck and/or Call. Maybe even a third character that plays the Proto/zero fill-in role.

Fou-Lu

I can't stop thinking about the potential for awesome this has. Please combined the lessons learned from Mega Man, X and Zero!

....then make Mighty No.9 Chronicles.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Am I the only one who is hyped as fuck based solely on the fact that Inti Creates is on board? Inafune is the icing on the cake but for me the biggest draw is having staff from the MM Zero involved.

absolutely. i said yesterday that the fact that inti is involved is the biggest reason i am enthusiastically backing this. rockman zero 1-4 are seriously like, the best goddamn 2D combat sandbox games of all time. this was why i was so upset that they decided to regress to pre-rock3 design with 9 and 10. i don't care about nostalgia, i want more chain and recoil rods to play with!

also i bumped my pledge up to $140. that artbook sounds nice, i just hope it's meaty enough to make it worthwhile!

So I wanted to be a part of that first $900K, so I've dropped $60 on Mighty No.9.

It is my first KS. There have been others I was excited about, but this had that little something extra for me.

Can I download it through my Vita via the PSN? I don't have a PS3.
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/cid=JP0102-NPUF30023_00-MEGAMAN2XXXXXXXX
Looks like it; it's in Japanese despite being on the US store, but it's tagged for being available on the Vita. If you have a Euro account, I'm not sure what your options are.

There are some cool extras in those Complete Works editions too. They’re all best played on the PSP though. MM2 is ok on the Vita because the buster is pretty powerful, but the levels of rapid fire needed for MM3 means some real hand-crampage with the Vita’s buttons for pure play (there's a rapid-fire option if pure play doesn't matter to you). Things became a little more do-able with MM4 thanks to the charge-shot.

Sciz

...why? you think he doesnt have it anymore, or want something else from Prope?

Naka's importance to Sonic shouldn't be understated, but Hirokazu Yasuhara is the heart and soul of the classic gameplay. If you want to get a true revival out of any of the series' three fathers, look to him, not Naka or Oshima.

In the first update they ask if we want a podcast, hell yes!, a podcast with the 8-4 guys and Ben Judd, the Bionic Commando podcast is one of my all time favourite podcast, it was funny and very informative.

SkyOdin

absolutely. i said yesterday that the fact that inti is involved is the biggest reason i am enthusiastically backing this. rockman zero 1-4 are seriously like, the best goddamn 2D combat sandbox games of all time. this was why i was so upset that they decided to regress to pre-rock3 design with 9 and 10. i don't care about nostalgia, i want more chain and recoil rods to play with!

also i bumped my pledge up to $140. that artbook sounds nice, i just hope it's meaty enough to make it worthwhile!

I'm with you on the wanting more recoil and chain rods. People say that the Mega Man series stagnated, but the Zero and ZX games did so many new things. I can appreciate the simpicity of the early NES Mega Man titles, but I want more than that. I really hope that Mighty No. 9 will have some of that creativity and slick gameplay from the later Zero and ZX games.

The fact that Beck fully transforms when he uses boss weapons gives me hope that they will be building on ZX's mechanics.

IrishNinja

closing in on 3/4 of a mill, i said damn

Naka's importance to Sonic shouldn't be understated, but Hirokazu Yasuhara is the heart and soul of the classic gameplay. If you want to get a true revival out of any of the series' three fathers, look to him, not Naka or Oshima.

its funny, i see/namerop yuji & ohima plentu but Yas doesnt get as much recognition, lookin again at his resume it's pretty impressive

Regiruler

Anyone find it weird that if the 1.2 mil goal isn't made (It will be at this rate but this is hypothetical) that there would be two missing Number slots from the character order? If 6 bosses was the original plan, why not just make Beck Number 7 and make 8 and 9 the stretch goal levels?

Anyone find it weird that if the 1.2 mil goal isn't made (It will be at this rate but this is hypothetical) that there would be two missing Number slots from the character order? If 6 bosses was the original plan, why not just make Beck Number 7 and make 8 and 9 the stretch goal levels?

They knew it would reach that and every goal easily, this is going beyond 2.5 million.

SparkTR

"If only there was an audience for Megaman" - Capcom

To be fair this wouldn't be doing much to convince them. It's great that a developer like this can go straight to the fans to make a game like this, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Capcom aren't looking at 12k backers and kicking themselves.

BPoole

Thinking about pledging, but I'll have to see some sort of gameplay. If it's like classic MM, I probably won't pledge, but if it's like MMX, they'll get a cool $20 from me

Eusis

How is this not past the goal yet.

How.
It IS a high goal for this kind of game considering the other Kickstarters there've been. Still makes me worry a little over the stretch goals unless PS4 and/or XB1 versions are planned but unannounced on account of needing to go through approval with an actual game first.

lupinko

He was also part of Naughty Dog for both Uncharted 1 and 2, I think also the Jak games.

Top Bottom