• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Busaiku

This has probably been asked or is maybe common knowledge, but I don't know and can't find the answer: what was Inafune's 'dream project' that he mentions at the start of the video and had to give up on?

Mega Man Universe
Everyone thinks it's Mega Man Legends 3, but I know better.

dLMN8R

For western blockbuster games, $2.5 million is indeed quite low. But it's quite normal for Japan.

Standard HD Japanese games (not Western-oriented blockbusters like Final Fantasy or Resident Evil) tend to cost around $3 million to develop.

Regular handheld games (think PSP releases) cost more like $600,000, or even less at times.

Comcept, with a $900,000 Kickstarter goal in mind, is probably looking at a $2 million budget to break even. So in a sense, their budget is very much in line with normal Japanese production costs.
:lol:

Please do share your sources for your treasure trove of information, and exactly how all of those numbers were reached.
http://geimin.net/da/expense.php

You're going to have to do better than a completely unspecific, unsourced, pretty much useless web site.

If you're going to make such specific claims, you need to give specific costs - how much are people paid on average? How long was the game in development? What kind of extra costs do Japanese companies have that differ from American companies in terms of perks, benefits, and others?

Are you seriously suggesting that an HD Resident Evil game, perhaps Resident Evil 5 and 6, only cost around $3 million to create?

Resident Evil 5 had around 400 people working on it.
Resident Evil 6 had around 600 people working on it.

I....just....you do the math there.

It looks like Japan/Europe might be more into it now, since it seems like these nighttime numbers (in the US) are outpacing the afternoon stuff.

I have my doubts, Mega Man European fanbase is close to zero, and the Japanese fans could be reluctant to use kickstarter.

I'm European and I'm forcing a lot of people with no interest to pledge at least $5.

You're going to have to do better than a completely unspecific, unsourced, pretty much useless web site.

If you're going to make specific claims about game budgets with extreme authority, you need to give specific costs - how much are people paid on average? How long was the game in development? What kind of extra costs do Japanese companies have that differ from American companies in terms of perks, benefits, and others?

Are you seriously suggesting that an HD Resident Evil game, perhaps Resident Evil 5 and 6, only cost around $3 million to create? Do you realize how insanely low that is?

She clearly said not western oriented games

This has probably been asked or is maybe common knowledge, but I don't know and can't find the answer: what was Inafune's 'dream project' that he mentions at the start of the video and had to give up on?

I'm leaning towards Mega Man Universe, and it would have to be that or Legends 3. MMU had the community approach going for it as a fresh direction, I think he really wanted to see what fans would do with the level-building stuff. I was really looking forward to it myself.

Mega Man Universe

Yep. I don't think he would be that broken up over a cancelled sequel.

Acccent

MegaMan Legends 3.

Mega Man Universe

I'm leaning towards Mega Man Universe, and it would have to be that or Legends 3. MMU had the community approach going for it as a fresh direction, I think he really wanted to see what fans would do with the level-building stuff. I was really looking forward to it myself.

Oh, okay. So much for not relying on old franchises.

dLMN8R

She clearly said not western oriented games

Of course, but the point of providing numbers for those blockbuster games is to show just how wildly off-base her suggested numbers are. Even if you reduce costs by an order of magnitude it's still far higher than those suggested numbers.

Game development is not cheap. Japanese game developers don't have magic fairy dust to somehow come in way under American game developers. Japanese game developer salaries aren't different enough to account for such an absolutely massive suggested difference.

Manu

Yep. I don't think he would be that broken up over a cancelled sequel.

A cancelled sequel for a 12-year old game that ended on a cliffhanger and that was being made with active participation of the fans.

Contests were made, designs made by fans were used, and then we got a collective "fuck you."

Wait, is it true that Capcom donates 10k to this project?

Hope so, and I would love that. I've been hoping fairly hard that Capcom would at least state their public support for this project. Maybe then it could stop feeling so clandestine and reckless, especially considering there is a good chance that stigma is affecting potential pledges.

A cancelled sequel for a 12-year old game that ended on a cliffhanger and that was being made with active participation of the fans.

Contests were made, designs made by fans were used, and then we got a collective "fuck you."

Yeah, I am aware.

Busaiku

He was actively working on Mega Man Universe, whereas Mega Man Legends 3 was more Mr. Eguchi's project.
It was also basically the followup to Mega Man Powered Up, which is what he said he wanted to do for a while.

And just because this pet project of his probably weighed on his heart the most, that doesn't mean he gives no shits about those Legends fans. He is a game designer, his big new idea got squashed, that is going to cause a little turmoil.

Oh, okay. So much for not relying on old franchises.

Ugh, I keep seeing this. He is trying to revive a classic franchise in the only way he knows how. He was clearly trying to continue the Mega Man brand while still at Capcom, why would he suddenly change that?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
He was actively working on Mega Man Universe, whereas Mega Man Legends 3 was more Mr. Eguchi's project.
It was also basically the followup to Mega Man Powered Up, which is what he said he wanted to do for a while.

The dev room was his idea, that's what he was referring to. He's saying they're making good on what the dev room was meant to do and give fans an active role in it's development.

Rhapsody

Banned
On the topic of that, did we ever find out if Inafune left because the games got cancelled or if it was cancelled because he left?
I know we were told about the cancellations after he left, but of course that doesn't mean it happened on that very day of the announcement.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I love that Kickstarter exists, solely for stuff like this.

I'm all over this. Sign me the hell up

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Looks great. Great Kickstarter pitch.

QFT!

This is one of the best realized KS I've ever seen (granted I don't follow much besides game KS). Also to see Ben Judd and the 8-4 crew... wow. I just wish success on this thing willed with all this good vibes.

On the topic of that, did we ever find out if Inafune left because the games got cancelled or if it was cancelled because he left?
I know we were told about the cancellations after he left, but of course that doesn't mean it happened on that very day of the announcement.

Inafune's leaving wasn't directly caused by either game's cancellation, though I'm sure it helped speed his decision.

Besides Call's name being a counterpart to Beck (Beck & Call), Call could also be a play off of the term "Roll" call, and Beck could be a reference to Jeff Beck, who plays Rock.

mclem

Well, I'm in, and quite highly, although I could be tempted to go higher when we have an idea what the 'other region' versions of the box, manual and t-shirt look like.

Not surprised to hear that the Shovel Knight folks gave them a bunch of advice; this is a seriously polished Kickstarter, and it looks like they've learnt from it.

Daedardus

Ah really?

Didn't realise that.

Do you think they'll take that track with this kickstarter?

Star Citizen required 20+ million from the start, the Kickstarter initially was only a way to prove interest to investors.

I don't know how much extra money they'd need for this, but I guess it will not be millions and millions. They will probably offer a website pledge for people who want to buy (technically pre-order) the game.

Toppot

I don't really care about this game, but I have backed it to support Megaman fans, I feel sorry for you guys/gals =[

SparkTR

Well that would be true if Star Citizen got 17m on kickstarter, but it actually got 2.13m

Mighty 9 may well top SC's kickstarter tally.

RSI did most of their funding outside Kickstarter during their funding month (kickstarter was an afterthought), in one month they got 6 million in pledges.

On kickstarter Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, Torment and I think DFA are tracking better than this at a glance.

Top Bottom