• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

PSY・S;79600753 said:
tumblr_msicw8cPZP1rlws54o1_500.png

tumblr_msicw8cPZP1rlws54o2_500.png

tumblr_msicw8cPZP1rlws54o3_500.png

lol

Oh, that's what everyone's laughing about.

First kickstarter I've backed and with with the $120 pledge due to all my childhood mm memories. What's the stretch goal for this to come to consoles/handhelds?

Since the developer is Japanese, do you think this will release in Japan first? I'm asking because as far as I know, devs need a publisher to release these games in Japan, and the main project is also targeted at PC with conaole stretch goals. The whole indi thing and kickstarted is a Western thing, so I assume most backers and PC gamers are from the West. I'm curious if they'll give priority to Japan or if they'll even do a localization at all. Or is it the West the peiority?

Trike

It would be announced, cancelled, picked up by Ninja Theory and be for iOS, free to play, and never localized.

That would be the best way to get me to kill myself. I would hope all of those happen within three hours of the initial announcement, that way we can skip past the bullshit.
Replace Ninja Theory with Armature and you would be closer to the truth

I'm excited for this game, and I'm happy to back it, but people need to knock it off with shitting on Capcom and perpetuating this "oh, they're so bad to Mega Man fans" nonsense.

There are as many good Mega Man games as there are good games in any other series in gaming. The fact that the fan base is insatiable doesn't mean Capcom is doing something wrong.

How many of these damn things do you need to be happy? Some of you really act like nothing short of one Mega Man game every year or two for the rest of your life would satisfy you.

Let me be the one to say I'm really grateful for everything the company has done with the series, I'm still not over how cool it is that Mega Man 9 and 10 exist, and I think it's sad that so many people have this "what have you done for me lately?" perspective on everything.

Since the developer is Japanese, do you think this will release in Japan first? I'm asking because as far as I know, devs need a publisher to release these games in Japan, and the main project is also targeted at PC with conaole stretch goals. The whole indi thing and kickstarted is a Western thing, so I assume most backers and PC gamers are from the West. I'm curious if they'll give priority to Japan or if they'll even do a localization at all. Or is it the West the peiority?

I imagine english will come before any other language but pc games work anywhere. If it reaches console versions and they can't do a simultaneous release, west probably will come first.

Gamefreak

Neo Member
IIRC, this was actually Inafune's suggestion.

Why did you think he did it?

There will be an in-game option to change the game’s text from English to Japanese.

I guess it will be a global release.

Village

I recall they were going to gauge response through selling a small demo. They never put the demo up for sale and they just killed the project.

Ah yes. That brilliant move.

Yo WTF capcom
Why you been killin off all your franchises since mid ps2 generation.

Did he actually say that? That sounds more like some cynical assumption of someone other than Inafune.

Also, not every project has the explicit goal of flexing one's creative skills. Sometimes you just want to make something for a group of fans you appreciate, something you know they love and feel rather desperate for. Mega Man fans got cancelled on before he left Capcom, why shouldn't he throw them a bone?

Uh, no, where did he say anything to this effect?
I recommend reading this in full:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

Basically, he criticizes Japanese game developers (especially Capcom) for not taking enough risks. He wants games to succeed because of their quality, and not just on a name brand or a company name. It's pretty ironic that he's making a Megaman clone now.

Because Ono said that it was Inafune's suggestion several times:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/27/yos...a-man-was-chosen-for-street-fighter-x-tekken/
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2012/03/yoshinori-ono-talks-sfxts-mega-man.html

If you're asking why Inafune wanted it in...who knows? He probably thought it was funny. It's not like Megaman could fit well into that game anyway.

I imagine english will come before any other language but pc games work anywhere. If it reaches console versions and they can't do a simultaneous release, west probably will come first.

PC gaming is small in Japan, if I remember correctly, and kickstarters are a Western thing. Inafune has been very vocal about Japanese gaming, but they are stil Japanese. They would need to design the game and add any text in their respective language and then do translations, hence my question. We'll see what happens.

Rhapsody

Banned

Ono mentioned something about them suggesting they should put Mega Man in SFXT. Inafune declined saying putting in regular MM would be a little boring since it's been done already. I can't remember who's idea it was to put BBA Mega Man, but Inafune liked it and they went with it.

Ravek

Banned
That would be the best way to get me to kill myself. I would hope all of those happen within three hours of the initial announcement, that way we can skip past the bullshit.
Replace Ninja Theory with Armature and you would be closer to the truth

3 hours? Nope. They would actually finish the game, send it to reviewers then pull the plug.

antibolo

Banned
Personally I will never understand why Mega Man fans are angry at Capcom for killing Mega Man. With Kenji Inafune gone, any future Mega Man game would suck anyway, so no more Mega Man games can only be a Good Thing. Capcom are protecting you from their own mediocrity.

(And for the record, I hate Capcom for purely non-Mega Man reasons)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Less than 15k left before reaching the million. And Renegade Kid offered themselves for working on a 3DS version. So amazing.

SkyOdin

At the time, both Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3 were still on track, so having Bad Box Art Mega Man in a fighting game wouldn't have been the only appearance of Mega Man at the time. It is only because of the cancellation of those two titles that SFxT Mega Man seems like such an affront to the fans. So it comes down to poor timing.

glad to see that this passed its first funding goal... hope it over exceeds in funding so we might get it on even more platforms (like the Xbox One, PS4, and Vita)

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
FUNDED?! AND ON ITS WAY TO A MILLI?!

alf717

Yea the game is funded! It is so awesome to be a part of this project. I get the feeling the ending credits are going to be very long Assassin's Creed long with all these backers.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
People gave 900k$ and keeps giving money for something that is Mega Man in everything but the name. Peope are saying "Yes, we want a new Mega Man." with their wallets.

If Capcom doesn't react to this in any way, they are bigger idiots than I thought.

No one disputes that there is a vocal minority of enthusiastic Mega Man fans. The problem is Capcom doesn't seem to believe there is an audience willing to spend money beyond that group of superfans nowadays. Just because a game works in a small Kickstarter context doesn't mean it makes sense for Capcom.

Fireblend

Banned
Are there examples where these two are common in Japan? Indies are big on smartphones, but I was talking about PC and console gaming over there.

I was talking about the indie thing; indies have always been a big part of gaming culture in Japan, specially on PCs. Cave Story? But anyway, Kickstarter has been gaining lots of popularity recently for japanese companies, game-oriented or otherwise. For example:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2

Also, standing by my 1.1mil projection for today. Maybe add a couple 100k.

casmith07

Personally I will never understand why Mega Man fans are angry at Capcom for killing Mega Man. With Kenji Inafune gone, any future Mega Man game would suck anyway, so no more Mega Man games can only be a Good Thing. Capcom are protecting you from their own mediocrity.

(And for the record, I hate Capcom for purely non-Mega Man reasons)

How about for killing it and refusing to offer Inafune the IP?

Cmagus

No one disputes that there is a vocal minority of enthusiastic Mega Man fans. The problem is Capcom doesn't seem to believe there is an audience willing to spend money beyond that group of superfans nowadays. Just because a game works in a small Kickstarter context doesn't mean it makes sense for Capcom.

If this project can pull in over a mil in 2 days then there must be demand. If those same people who donate to this buy a new Megaman then it would be in capcoms best interest. No reason why Capcom can't keep the project small and release it digitally it would easily make the money back and then some

NoTacos

I'm astounded someone actually had $10k just lying around to donate to kickstarter. Keiji about to take them to red lobster tbh (with the cheddar biscuits)

Great to see its finally getting made though, here's hoping for a next gen port sooner or later

I'm excited for this game, and I'm happy to back it, but people need to knock it off with shitting on Capcom and perpetuating this "oh, they're so bad to Mega Man fans" nonsense.

There are as many good Mega Man games as there are good games in any other series in gaming. The fact that the fan base is insatiable doesn't mean Capcom is doing something wrong.

How many of these damn things do you need to be happy? Some of you really act like nothing short of one Mega Man game every year or two for the rest of your life would satisfy you.

Let me be the one to say I'm really grateful for everything the company has done with the series, I'm still not over how cool it is that Mega Man 9 and 10 exist, and I think it's sad that so many people have this "what have you done for me lately?" perspective on everything.

Yeah, I don't get that either. But maybe my perspective is changed being a WiiU owner, where they've just re-released 1-4 + X on VC (dat gamepad) and MM is appearing in Smash.

Top Bottom