• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

jay

Personally I will never understand why Mega Man fans are angry at Capcom for killing Mega Man. With Kenji Inafune gone, any future Mega Man game would suck anyway, so no more Mega Man games can only be a Good Thing. Capcom are protecting you from their own mediocrity.

(And for the record, I hate Capcom for purely non-Mega Man reasons)

Sega fans and really all fans do the same thing. They get attached to branding, names, art, and basically everything that isn't the people who create games.

Man, I hope they know what they're in for. They're already pushing 18 000 backers and are on track for multiple times that. The logistics of getting bonuses out to that many people around the world are going to be challenging for a small shop.

Burai

shitonmychest57
If this project can pull in over a mil in 2 days then there must be demand. If those same people who donate to this buy a new Megaman then it would be in capcoms best interest. No reason why Capcom can't keep the project small and release it digitally it would easily make the money back and then some

There's plenty of reasons why. Do you think that if Mega Man really could print money like Sonic and Mario do that Capcom wouldn't be all over it?

The real issue is that for a real publisher this is a risk. Fans can be very vocal but they don't always put their money where their mouths are. We've seen plenty of examples of fans demanding games that end up bombing. Look at Sega Rally Revo: Fans were clamouring for a new Sega Rally, a new studio was set up specifically to make one and, for various reasons (some right, some wrong), people didn't want the finished product. The end result was that dev costs weren't reclaimed and SRS was disbanded.

If this game doesn't match people's expectations? Bad luck. You already paid for it. If a traditionally-published game doesn't match expectations? The publisher pays for it.

There's a massive difference between asking people to pony up the dev costs of your game up front in exchange for the finished product later and funding a project and hoping to make it back and make a decent profit out of it. For Capcom, a new Mega Man game doesn't make sense. For a crowdfunded project, it absolutely does.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Man, I hope they know what they're in for. They're already pushing 18 000 backers and are on track for multiple times that. The logistics of getting bonuses out to that many people around the world are going to be challenging for a small shop.
That's why they have Famgamer taking care of that.

Village

I am assuming after the 2.5 mark we are funding a sequel which will be several times better than the first , but not as good as the fourth.

It took Keiji Inafune almost 2 days to raise 1 million dollars!

S3ZTdLs.gif

Nilaul

What happens if they get like 15 million? Can they stop kickstarter funding if they decide that they have too much?

RM8

I'm not familiar with Kickstarter, is it possible for this to dramatically slow down? Because I'm not seeing how this won't reach 2.5 soon.

Fireblend

Banned
It is going to massacre those stretch goals, right?

I'm guessing it will reach the $1.4mil mark before slowing down, like all Kickstarters do, but I doubt it will lose enough steam to not reach the rest of the stretch goals, specially if the team keeps the content coming. This is still quite the uphill battle.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
If this project can pull in over a mil in 2 days then there must be demand. If those same people who donate to this buy a new Megaman then it would be in capcoms best interest. No reason why Capcom can't keep the project small and release it digitally it would easily make the money back and then some

Again, the issue is that there is a gap between demand and demand sufficient to make development of additional Mega Man games more profitable than the alternatives for Capcom. Reality is that Mega Man is a long-declining franchise that doesn't appear to have much upside in today's market. MIghty No. 9 is preaching to the choir, not something that is likely to drive growth.

pariah164

$1,000,000!

tumblr_lupy2hx2ha1r4rt8bo1_500.gif

I am happy for this, for the fans of Megaman that were screwed over, and for Inafune for giving Capcom the biggest finger possible.

Top Bottom