• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

ArjanN

i hope the higher ups at capcom are sweating at that million mark.

Not to rain on your parade, but..they're not.

Maybe in terms of how it's not exactly great PR for Capcom, but a million dollars is still pretty much peanuts in game development terms.

I'm excited for this game, and I'm happy to back it, but people need to knock it off with shitting on Capcom and perpetuating this "oh, they're so bad to Mega Man fans" nonsense.

There are as many good Mega Man games as there are good games in any other series in gaming. The fact that the fan base is insatiable doesn't mean Capcom is doing something wrong.

How many of these damn things do you need to be happy? Some of you really act like nothing short of one Mega Man game every year or two for the rest of your life would satisfy you.

Let me be the one to say I'm really grateful for everything the company has done with the series, I'm still not over how cool it is that Mega Man 9 and 10 exist, and I think it's sad that so many people have this "what have you done for me lately?" perspective on everything.

I think you're being a little unfair. Yes, MM 9 & 10 were unexpected miracles, and that should tell you just how dry the MM well had become. A lot of these salty attitudes have a lot to do with those games that were cancelled. We don't necessarily need a new MM game every 1-2 years, but more a sense that the IP will continue to be supported, and from the looks of things Capcom had decided to remove the IP from the rotation indefinitely. Relevant IP's do get regular entries added to their flagship and spin-off series', and there is nothing wrong with wanting the same kind of support fans of a different series are going to get.

But, I do get tired of those posts that purport the idea that this is Inafune's big chance to thumb Capcom in the eyes, because I don't think these are his intentions. He seems to have a relatable sense of identity with the company, and I just think he wants to show them a glimpse of a different approach to running things. He said himself, he wants to save Capcom, even now.

I recommend reading this in full:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

Basically, he criticizes Japanese game developers (especially Capcom) for not taking enough risks. He wants games to succeed because of their quality, and not just on a name brand or a company name. It's pretty ironic that he's making a Megaman clone now.

Because Ono said that it was Inafune's suggestion several times:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/27/yos...a-man-was-chosen-for-street-fighter-x-tekken/
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2012/03/yoshinori-ono-talks-sfxts-mega-man.html

If you're asking why Inafune wanted it in...who knows? He probably thought it was funny. It's not like Megaman could fit well into that game anyway.

Yeah, I read that a while back, and I saw nothing in there similar to what you said earlier. He was using himself as an example in the quote you're probably referencing. It isn't a question of having talent, or proving you're not a hack, but for letting your work define your relevance to a company or project instead of some bulletproof tenure you've achieved. Also, I see nothing but constructive criticism in there. He doesn't see the current model employed by Capcom and other Japanese companies as sustainable, and even the current state of things severely restricts the number of games that are possible. I agree with him 100%.

Maybe in terms of how it's not exactly great PR for Capcom, but a million dollars is still pretty much peanuts in game development terms.

Of course, they probably don't like getting told that there is enough interest in a MegaMan game to 1 million crowfunded it in two days.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

its not the million dollars, but the rate they achieved the million dollars

ZenTzen

v2aGKhr.png

twitter

quick someone tweet to that 3rd party relations guy from sony, gio corsi, they'll probably help with that if theres interest.

damn, really hoping that final stretch goal gets reached, heres hoping capcom has a close watch on this and starts making MM games again(specifically MML3)

Rubius

What I like about this, is that we send capcom a message and we might see more megaman in the future from Capcom side too. They cant use the "You dont want to participate" thing anymore.

Lol Bitchered DMC.....

I dunno if this was a Typo or intentional, but this is my new word to describe DmC. Thanks.

What I like about this, is that we send capcom a message and we might see more megaman in the future from Capcom side too. They cant use the "You dont want to participate" thing anymore.

lets not get crazy here just yet. If 100k legends fans didn't make much of a difference, I don't see how 20K mighty 9 backers (so far) are going to mean anything, even if they are fronting money. unlike kickstarter, capcom can only charge a fixed price for a game. At $20, this amount of backers doesn't amount to much.

Floex

Nokterian

It's funny they mention that didn't believe there was much interest, I mean, what do they expect people to do. The easiest thing they could have done was put a pole up on Unity and asked what franchise should they work on next.

Instead we get shit like Lost Planet 3 that literally all but a few people asked for.

To me Capcom lost track a long time ago and just want bang for buck and outsourcing everything and not listening to what fans really want but only to there investors. And well look how far we are now. Over 1 million dollars in less then 2 days,there are enough fans who wanted a follow up to megaman and now we finally getting one.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's funny they mention that didn't believe there was much interest, I mean, what do they expect people to do. The easiest thing they could have done was put a pole up on Unity and asked what franchise should they work on next.

Instead we get shit like Lost Planet 3 that literally all but a few people asked for.

It hurts that there were probably people like me that wanted to be more surprised and not get too involved outside of the character designs for Volnutt and Aero. I wasn't a huge fan on how much input they wanted from the fans, but I joined the devroom thing anyways (although apparently I didn't submit it all the way through to get a servbot number...).

They shouldn't have judged interest based all on just the devroom.
I missed the $1 million mark too?
Darn it...
I'll be disappointed if you miss the 2.5 mil mark as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
Maybe I'm a complete idiot, but why is it the fans job to get involved in the creation of the game? That 2nd tweet makes no sense to me.

MML3 was a special case where a lot of the game was going to be made from fan input. Character designs, comments, boss designs, etc. Most MM games usually have stuff created by fans, but this was taking it a whole lot further. They made a devroom forum for people to sign up and participate in the choices for this game.

quick someone tweet to that 3rd party relations guy from sony, gio corsi, they'll probably help with that if theres interest.

damn, really hoping that final stretch goal gets reached, heres hoping capcom has a close watch on this and starts making MM games again(specifically MML3)

I'm thinking they are already watching closely, but it would be bad business to not allow the fan enthusiasm do what it can first.

Besides, I have a feeling comcept doesn't want a big company to swoop in and save the day until they've been able to exhibit the full extent of market enthusiasm. A point is being made here.

Celine

Of course, they probably don't like getting told that there is enough interest in a MegaMan game to 1 million crowfunded it in two days.
Capcom management knows that there is some interest around a beloved IP like Megaman, they just think (as sales of previous game showed them) that in the current form (ie: 2D action game) sales at retail of a console/handheld game won't be enough to be worth the investment.

Floex

To me Capcom lost track a long time ago and just want bang for buck and outsourcing everything and not listening to what fans really want but only to there investors. And well look how far we are now. Over 1 million dollars in less then 2 days,there are enough fans who wanted a follow up to megaman and now we finally getting one.

Oh, I am in total agreement as I'm sure many other people are too. They have let far too many important people go over the years. Hell, if Ono leaves I'd honestly be worried who's left there. If I was Capcom I would be eating crow and say 'yes, we have fucked up'. Call up Platinum and we'll back their next project. Even the new Strider game I'm concerned about, at this stage it's make or break for Double Helix, they have this and Killer Instinct to show if they're are now big time players.

It hurts that there were probably people like me that wanted to be more surprised and not get too involved outside of the character designs for Volnutt and Aero. I wasn't a huge fan on how much input they wanted from the fans, but I joined the devroom thing anyways (although apparently I didn't submit it all the way through to get a servbot number...).

They shouldn't have judged interest based all on just the devroom.

I'll be disappointed if you miss the 2.5 mil mark as well.

Sorry, I'm a little lost, are you talking about Mighty No.9 or was this part of a Mega Man game that has since been cancelled.

EDIT: Ah don't worry, just saw your post :p Wow, that sounds a nuts way to make a video game.

Especially when a lot of those companies needlessly inflate their games to insane budgets only to churn out polished AAA turds.

Azure J

I'm really happy to see how this illuminates that there is a real and constant demand for Megaman style gameplay in the face of the many different disparaging comments made by Capcom regarding the fan base and property over the past few years.

Between this and Megaman in Smash, my year is made as a Megaman fan! :lol

Top Bottom