• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Busaiku

Maybe in terms of how it's not exactly great PR for Capcom, but a million dollars is still pretty much peanuts in game development terms.

I would wager that most Mega Man games have had budgets similar to what Might No. 9 is now getting.

dropbear

Banned
Looks great. Glad to see the outpouring of support from fans as well.

After A Hat in Time, this will probably end up being my second backed project on Kickstarter.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What if Capcom decided to C&D this due to "strong similarities" or some shit like that?

I doubt it will happen, but... you never know.

Ravek

Banned
What if Capcom decided to C&D this due to "strong similarities" or some shit like that?

I doubt it will happen, but... you never know.

All we have is concepts and ideas
with dreams and hopes
. Capcom can't sue, yet.

v2aGKhr.png

twitter
74206-thats-good-thats-damn-good-gif-HU8B.gif

chrono01

I'm thinking of increasing my $120 pledge to $250. I need that autograph, plus hardcover art book/strategy guide...

To make up for it, I'm considering cancelling my $150 pledge for Project Phoenix. I really can't get a good grasp/feel for what the game is, and their initial goal of only $100,000 seems a bit low. I know it's reached nearly $700,000 now, but when they can't even unveil all of the members of the team [or even a video of the game in motion], I'm very skeptical to give them my money. The whole JRPG/Western Squad-Based RTS mention doesn't help things.

Busaiku

I'm thinking of increasing my $120 pledge to $250. I need that autograph, plus hardcover art book/strategy guide...

To make up for it, I'm considering cancelling my $150 pledge for Project Phoenix. I really can't get a good grasp/feel for what the game is, and their initial goal of only $100,000 seems a bit low. I know it's reached nearly $700,000 now, but when they can't even unveil all of the members of the team [or even a video of the game in motion], I'm very skeptical to give them my money. The whole JRPG/Western Squad-Based RTS mention doesn't help things.

I think you should do it.

Fireblend

Banned
Wouldn't it be technically easier to develop for the PS4/Vita then PS3?

The PS4 isn't out yet and publishing details are I think somewhat sketchy for most developers right now. Same deal for Xbone. So they can't promise next-gen versions of the game right now, and are using PS3 and 360 versions as minimum viable goals. I'm sure as soon as the Sony/MS guys contact the Mighty no. 9 team those stretchgoals will be correspondingly upgraded to PS4 and Xbone or new ones will be created if they can make the numbers work. As a developer, I'm pretty sure this is more a matter of publishing costs/other details that are unknown atm even to Inafune than of technical effort. We don't even know if Inti Creates has access to devkits, it's only logical they want to play it safe for now.

Rubius

lets not get crazy here just yet. If 100k legends fans didn't make much of a difference, I don't see how 20K mighty 9 backers (so far) are going to mean anything, even if they are fronting money. unlike kickstarter, capcom can only charge a fixed price for a game. At $20, this amount of backers doesn't amount to much.
Sure, but 100k who clicked on a Yes button is less important than 20k giving money out. And its 20k in a day. Not a month. I would be surprised if this get less than 2.5 million. And this is without having a game, demo or anything. The only thing the kickstarter said is "It will be a Megaman clone" and people jumped on it. This and Shovel Knight pretty much prove there is a demand for games like this.

ZeroGravity

No fucking shit.

Game is coming in 2015, you'd have to think PS4/Bone will be hitting their stride by then. PS360 only would be dumb, bringing that shit to next gen makes sense.
I think you underestimate how many people will still be playing their PS3s and 360s then. Most people don't jump into a new console generation for years. It may not make financial sense at all.

Loxley

I've never been a fan of side-scrolling action games, but this is still awesome to see. Inafune seems to be super jazzed about this whole thing. That said, the main character looks a little too Mega-Manish...from a purely legal perspective. Almost like he's from a Gameloft Mega-Man clone or something.

Soule

I recommend reading this in full:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

Basically, he criticizes Japanese game developers (especially Capcom) for not taking enough risks. He wants games to succeed because of their quality, and not just on a name brand or a company name. It's pretty ironic that he's making a Megaman clone now.

Because Ono said that it was Inafune's suggestion several times:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/27/yos...a-man-was-chosen-for-street-fighter-x-tekken/
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2012/03/yoshinori-ono-talks-sfxts-mega-man.html

If you're asking why Inafune wanted it in...who knows? He probably thought it was funny. It's not like Megaman could fit well into that game anyway.

How is that ironic? The game is cut off from the name brand and the company, just like you said he wanted. This game may get some hype as it has devs proven in the genre the game is being made in but the game will have to stand on its own feet to sell. It won't be the brand nor the company the sells this game but the demand for a game of its type.

Caffeine

ye by spring 2015 you will be probably looking at <30million ps4/x1 owners but you will be looking at probably 150million+ 360 and ps3 owners who still haven't gone forward into purchasing a next gen platform and usually wont until they are 3 years into their life cycles.

TheMink

I've never been a fan of side-scrolling action games, but this is still awesome to see. Inafune seems to be super jazzed about this whole thing. That said, the main character looks a little too Mega-Manish...from a purely legal perspective. Hopefully Capcom won't bother with it though.

Legally all something has to be is 20% different in order to be free from lawsuit.

casmith07

ye by spring 2015 you will be probably looking at <30million ps4/x1 owners but you will be looking at probably 150million+ 360 and ps3 owners who still haven't gone forward into purchasing a next gen platform and usually wont until they are 3 years into their life cycles.

All platforms makes the most sense.

They should honestly forego Mac and Linux (and I own a Mac) and go PS4/Xbone instead.

Nilaul

Ohh darn bloody thongs. Can someone who backed it mention it to to the developer in the comments? I just can't unsee them.

McLovin

First I pledged 20, then I was like woah you get a sound track for 40.. screw it I'll help the cause. Now I'm looking at that beta access for 99. I have a feeling that if I keep going I'll end up having dinner with Inafune :p

We should hit first stretch goal tomorrow, and hopefully we'll continue hitting them once a day. There is no doubt it's going to hit most and probably all of it's goals. Happy place.

Fireblend

Banned
The $99 stretchgoal sounds so good. A shirt, exclusive content and beta access. It might be time for me to suggest a raise to my boss.
KuGsj.gif

If I upgrade from my $20 it definitely will be to that. I'll wait to see the shirt design.

Caffeine

First I pledged 20, then I was like woah you get a sound track for 40.. screw it I'll help the cause. Now I'm looking at that beta access for 99. I have a feeling that if I keep going I'll end up having dinner with Inafune :p

you know you want to have dinner with him ;P

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It would be funny if at the end of the dinner Inafune disappears when the cheque comes. :lol

Busaiku

The $99 stretchgoal sounds so good. A shirt, exclusive content and beta access. It might be time for me to suggest a raise to my boss.
KuGsj.gif

If I upgrade from my $20 it definitely will be to that. I'll wait to see the shirt design.

Oh, I kept thinking it'd be a Might No. shirt (just not 1-9), but it turns out it will be something else.

Top Bottom