• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Fireblend

Banned
If you're backing, can you already vote for which Call you want? I might have to back sooner than I invisioned.

Nah. I doubt they'll let the backers decide on anything as major as that before the kickstarter is over, since then they'd be giving a huge advantage to early backers and I don't think that's the point.

I do hope they start involving the backers soon though, that way people not decided yet will jump on the KS sooner :D

Shengar

Somedays in the future, Capcom announced Megaman Legends 3 seeing the success of Inafune's kickstarter.
And that game is for iOS.

By the way, kudos to Inafune and to all backer here! Happy to see Megaman fans got worthy successor of their beloved.

FLAguy954

Just a thought: I think it would be really awesome if the 3DS version was sprite-based.

I would be more than happy if it's at least a limited disc release for backers.

There was a poster earlier in this thread who claimed to work in the physical content shipping for major publishers (Activision etc). He stated that it cost Activision a good deal more than a million just to to ship physical CoD games out.

Let's talk genuinely important stuff, which Call are you voting for? The one of the left with the ponytail is clearly the superior choice:

b733fef2a95df4f3de2a9074b4a043cf_large.jpg

Pink haired twin tail one.

FACE

Banned
Because that is what kickstarters do. It's standard behaviour.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/dailypledges.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice/dailypledges.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/dailypledges.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

The only massive game kickstarter that didn't behave like this was Hex:

[img]http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/dailypledges.png

TheMink

NeoGaf shoutout in the 2nd Update woooot wooot!

Also i changed my mind, I want pink hair goggles call. When i looked at it with objectivity i realized thats the design i liked the most.

Fireblend

Banned
NeoGaf shoutout in the 2nd Update woooot wooot!

Nice, they're doing things really, really well. Whoever's behind the campaign logistics really did their homework in regards to how it should look, how updates should be handled, etc... which is great news, it can only get us more pledges.
3AQmK.gif

Let's talk genuinely important stuff, which Call are you voting for? The one of the left with the ponytail is clearly the superior choice:

Agreed. The girl that looks like the MML3 girl looks too "ugh" and trying to be tough. That's the way I read it in my head. Too grumpy, but Roll Call is so damn cute.

Outside of just their designs, I hope that Call isn't just a sister character that gets put in a bus or whatever the term is. I remember Roll being the first robot to get Robo-Flu or whatever it was in MM10. Hrm.

massoluk

Banned
Plus we’re now past our first couple days (when Kickstarter momentum typically dies down), but at the same time entering our first real week after the holiday, when a lot of fans that still haven't heard about us will finally be easing back into their routine at home and work, checking Facebook, Twitter, reddit, YouTube, NeoGAF, or any of their other favorite sites and message boards again: we need to reach as many of them as we can!

Heh, NeoGAF name dropped.

Tain

The stretch goals that matter most (the ones that lead to a better game) are 1.2 million and 1.5 million. Obviously the first one was hit and I'm not worried about the second.

The End

So what's the sense on the $99 "backer exclusive transformation"

I'm feeling either a "swordsman" (because Zero was the first protagonist Inafune designed from scratch) or a "fireballer" (ie, the final secret armor piece from MMX that lets you throw hadoukens)

v1oz

This whole thing is very dodgy. Just how does this game (a 2D platformer) cost so much money to make? And seriously asking for $1.6 million extra just for console ports? There's no way the ports could cost more money than making the base version. Most Mega Man fans are console gamers!

Shadow of the Eternals was gonna cost much less to make, that had high production values and as well as Wii U/PS4 versions all for $750,000.

Caffeine

This whole thing is very dodgy. Just how does this game (a 2D platformer) cost so much money to make? And seriously asking for $1.6 million extra just for console ports? There's no way the ports could cost more money than making the base version. Most Mega Man fans are console gamers!

Shadow of the Eternals was gonna cost much less to make, that had high production values and as well as Wii U/PS4 versions all for $750,000.

pretty sure its dependent on their publisher and such if they get a backing of X much the publisher is willing to back it X much the actual game paying the people working on it and such costs way more than that 900k over a 18 month period.

A lot of work has already gone into SotE, though. And it was going to come in episodes.

MN9 has 4 months of prepro and is going to be fully featured game, like old MM games and has some pretty big talent working on it.

The End

And SotE failed because everyone thought their projections were bullshit!

Inafune and IntiCreates have made dozens of these games, if they say "this is what it's going to cost to make this 2.5d game from scratch", I tend to believe them

-PXG-

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Give it a rest...

Fireblend

Banned

If anything, this is way too cheap. Hiring an established developer such as Inti Creates to create what will possible be a multiplatform title with high levels of polish costs an extremely high amount of money, not to mention campaign logistics, music, other rewards, publishing costs, etc.. If anything this is one of the most realistic Kickstarters in terms of what they're asking for and what they're promising to deliver that I've seen. If you backed Double Fine's KS and you've been following the making-of, it shouldn't be too hard to see how the 3million+ they collected are starting to seem like a low amount of money now, and that's "only a point and click game"

Also, it might be worth reading this thread (and the article within) for some perspective: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516730

And this quesiton on their FAQ (Might No. 9's):

Isn’t $900K a little cheap for the game you are promising?

Good question! Let us guess—you’ve worked in the game industry? :) Yes, it’s true—our internal estimates for the full production cost of this game are greater than our initial goal, especially once you take out the fees and reward costs. But that’s OK! Both Comcept and Inti Creates have the resources to forgo full funding to make this project happen, since both companies will benefit more than they would in a typical publisher-funded setup once the game releases. To put it simply, if enough fans are excited about this game to hit our initial goal, then we, the companies developing this game, are willing to put up more of our own money as well, right along there with you.

So, no, this is not a case where the initial goal is set irresponsibly low, risking everything in the hopes that the Kickstarter campaign will pay off over expectations and get us where we secretly, actually need to be financially. We do understand that concern, though, and kept it in mind when carefully setting our initial funding goal. More money over the initial goal would be wonderful—don’t get us wrong! :)—in that it could potentially reduce what our companies have to shoulder up front, and of course more importantly make for a lot more features and platforms and other stuff we’d love to see happen. But we have run the numbers and we are fully confident that, should we hit our initial goal and nothing more, we can make a great game that fulfills the promise of this project, both for our backers and for anyone else who plays the game.

By the way—if you have some spare time, you mind talking to any folks you might happen to see ask the next question? :)

They're even having to put some money of their own, even if all stretchgoals are met. It's not like they're going to walk away with the entirety of the game's sales profits.

megalowho

muxWInq.png

This can only be a good thing.
I'm really interested in seeing what ripples, if any, this campaign has for Japanese developers. Crowd funding seems like a relatively new concept over there, could open a lot of doors depending on how successful this venture is.

SkyOdin

I'm a fan of the pink-haired one. I think making a key character look too close to Roll would be a mistake, since Mighty No. 9 needs to establish its own identity beyond being a Mega Man derivative. What draws me to the pink-haired one though isn't just her similarity to Aero from the Megaman Legends 3 campaign, but the fact that she has a set of goggles straight out of the Zero and ZX games. Two references for the price of one.

mclem

New update with a link to a celebration/thank you video from Mr. Inafune himself!

johntv with the creepy smile at the end too

One of the things we’re most proud of is the overwhelmingly positive vibe we all share in this mission. There are no losers in our success here, and no bad guys to rail against. We all know that none of the amazing stories and fond memories you've all been sharing would've ever been possible without the games that came before us, the developers who created them, and the companies who promoted and sold and spread them throughout the world. Yes, we are aiming to revive and reinvent this genre, but we do so with the deepest humility and all due respect to those who came before us, or in many cases worked alongside us -- our ex-coworkers and ex-employers, for example; whatever success we achieve here is ultimately a validation of their efforts. So we salute them -- as we do all of you -- Beck-style, with two fingers! (`_´)ゞ

Given the intent of the *rest* of that paragraph, I can't help but think that the final line wasn't meant to be interpreted the way I took it. A "two-fingered salute" means something rather different in Britain!

nded

You would be surprised by how much the media you consume actually costs to produce and certify. Also, the Shadow of the Eternals kickstarter campaign started at 1.5 mil (just for the first of 12 episodes!), and they'd apparently been working on it for years before deciding to crowdfund. I think there were even accusations that Silicon Knights were funding it by funneling money from that X-Men game Activision commissioned them to develop.

Cartman86

Banned

That 1.6 million extra covers all the other stretch goals (more levels, NG+, Linux, Mac, documentary, and 2 unknowns) and not just the console games. If anything you could just as easily say the console ports actually cost 200,000.

Bedlam

I think you have no idea how much it costs to make games.

qq more

v1oz... are you seriously implying that games with high production values don't cost a million to make?

what universe are you from?

Sorry, but people who thought Shadow of the Eternals was only going to cost $750K to make are on coke. Precursor stated that they would get additional funding if they got the Kickstarter and subsequently did not. Stop beating that drum.

Garuda

Neo Member
I believe its being released for PC on Steam, but the fact that he's making a Mega-man esque game is great. It's been such a long time.

Nosgoroth

Update #2 posted. Reading it now. It includes this paragraph:

One of the things we’re most proud of is the overwhelmingly positive vibe we all share in this mission. There are no losers in our success here, and no bad guys to rail against. We all know that none of the amazing stories and fond memories you've all been sharing would've ever been possible without the games that came before us, the developers who created them, and the companies who promoted and sold and spread them throughout the world. Yes, we are aiming to revive and reinvent this genre, but we do so with the deepest humility and all due respect to those who came before us, or in many cases worked alongside us -- our ex-coworkers and ex-employers, for example; whatever success we achieve here is ultimately a validation of their efforts.

(Emphasis not mine) Which I read as "guys, stop poking CAPCOM with a stick so much".

EDIT: And GAF shoutout:

Plus we’re now past our first couple days (when Kickstarter momentum typically dies down), but at the same time entering our first real week after the holiday, when a lot of fans that still haven't heard about us will finally be easing back into their routine at home and work, checking Facebook, Twitter, reddit, YouTube, NeoGAF, or any of their other favorite sites and message boards again: we need to reach as many of them as we can!

(Emphasis mine)

Top Bottom