• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

TheBera

Backed 20 bucks! Hopefully there will be a continous stream of updates during this month to bring more people in... I really wanna see the t-shirts design before considering upping my pledge.

Mesoian

Backed 40.

Will play. Don't really have much else to say on the matter other than I hope they do something really interesting with the art style. If it's just Megaman 2 gameplay with Megaman X8 style models, I'll be pretty underwhelmed. But stuff like this needs to happen and I hope the success of this kickstarter and the eventual game serves as a wakeup call to property owners who spend more time keeping people from using their licenses than they do promoting their new games (SEGA).

chrono01

At this rate people's estimate of it hitting 1.4 million by the end of today might not be too far off.

This is impressive.

Backed 40.

Will play. Don't really have much else to say on the matter other than I hope they do something really interesting with the art style. If it's just Megaman 2 gameplay with Megaman X8 style models, I'll be pretty underwhelmed. But stuff like this needs to happen and I hope the success of this kickstarter and the eventual game serves as a wakeup call to property owners who spend more time keeping people from using their licenses than they do promoting their new games (SEGA).
I wouldn't worry about it being simply a Mega Man clone.

From the information on the Kickstarter page, while the story/characters might sound exactly like Mega Man, the actual gameplay sounds like it'll have some nice variation in it with Beck transforming [possibly to access certain/unreachable areas], temporarily absorb the powers of enemies [not just bosses] if timed correctly, etc.

It sounds as though they're interested in creating a spiritual successor to Mega Man while innovating on things in the process. I'm extremely excited to see what becomes of it.

Xater

Guess when i wake up tomorrow I will at least have my Mac version. I really to hope they will add the PS4 to this and we reach that goal.

Soodanim

Does anyone else think its a little fishy how quickly they've been getting money? Theres no gameplay footage and they are already at their first stretch goal. I think there's some definite professional investors going on here. It's pretty common with these bigger more elaborate kickstarters, to increase confidence in the product they'll get their investors to fund through the kickstarter.

Someone spent $10,000+ just to have dinner with Inafune, so I'd imagine he's got rich friends backing this. But assuming it was close to $10k, it doesn't throw off the average that much when you're in the millions in total.

The End

Someone spent $10,000+ just to have dinner with Inafune, so I'd imagine he's got rich friends backing this. But assuming it was close to $10k, it doesn't throw off the average that much when you're in the millions in total.

Or, you've got a lot of fans of the original MM and X series that are grown ass adults with jobs now, and are willing to drop $60+ for what will be a $20 downloadable game just because they badly want it made?

The only massive game kickstarter that didn't behave like this was Hex:

dailypledges.png

I never really followed Hex's kickstarter, but this is an interesting one. It was under performing right out of the gate and picked up drastically just from word of mouth.

Mighty No.9 is doing incredibly well, it's already past the halfway point to reaching 2.5 million with 28 days left. When you take into account how big most last day numbers are during these funding campaigns, 2.5 million doesn't seem impossible now.

capcom could just let wayforward do the work again! i'm sure, they would make an awesome megaman game .. jake kaufman megaman ost has to happen!

mighty switch force looks glorious on wii u.. similiar art style for megaman and i'm sold!

Interestingly enough, Wayforward should be launching their own kickstarter tomorrow (September 4th for those of us in North America), it will be interesting to see what they have cooked up.

Wereroku

Nice this is shaping up well. Knew those sketches were going to sell out but I did expect it to take a bit longer. I hope it makes it to PS4 and PSV so i can enjoy it on the go and at home. By the way I was looking over everything and it is crazy what they are shipping for some of the higher tiers but a physical OST would be pretty sweet i have to say.

Does anyone else think its a little fishy how quickly they've been getting money? Theres no gameplay footage and they are already at their first stretch goal. I think there's some definite professional investors going on here. It's pretty common with these bigger more elaborate kickstarters, to increase confidence in the product they'll get their investors to fund through the kickstarter.

Capcom made this kind of turnout possible by killing a franchise that obviously still had some life in it. The Mega Man drought combined with an all-star team turned this in to the perfect storm of backer-confidence. It didn't hurt that the severence of the franchise was particularly painful and cruel with all the stuff surrounding MML3.

Not your typical Kickstarter.

Imagine if you could access Kickstarter from your consoles dashboard. Projects would explode with money. Any company wanting to bank on indies would totally do this.

I hope my assumption is correct that the DD method you choose would give you both the PC and Mac versions. GoG always includes both platforms if it has both, and then there's SteamPlay.

I would rather not have to chose one over the other.

TreIII

From the information on the Kickstarter page, while the story/characters might sound exactly like Mega Man, the actual gameplay sounds like it'll have some nice variation in it with Beck transforming [possibly to access certain/unreachable areas], temporarily absorb the powers of enemies [not just bosses] if timed correctly, etc.

It sounds as though they're interested in creating a spiritual successor to Mega Man while innovating on things in the process. I'm extremely excited to see what becomes of it.

If anything, what really excites me is that it sounds like Inti is going to keep upping the ante on the likes of where MMZ4's "Z-Knuckle" left off, and really expanding on it.

I fully agree with the earlier sentiment that called the MMZ series a "combat sandbox", so that is why I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do to improve on that much here. It helps that they likely won't be limited to just appeasing the "MM2 or GTFO" crowd with this game.

Fireblend

Banned
If anything, what really excites me is that it sounds like Inti is going to keep upping the ante on the likes of where MMZ4's "Z-Knuckle" left off, and really expanding on it.

I fully agree with the earlier sentiment that called the MMZ series a "combat sandbox", so that is why I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do to improve on that much here. It helps that they likely won't be limited to just appeasing the "MM2 or GTFO" crowd.

I can't overstate how excited I am about Inti Creates being the ones handling this game. The MMZ games are probably my favorite Megaman games, I remember being so blown away by that franchise. I only hope they can retain some of the "speed" and versatility that made those games so satisfactory while balancing with the obviously classic "clunky" feel they want this one to have as a classic-Megaman-inspired game.

TreIII

I can't overstate how excited I am about Inti Creates being the ones handling this game. The MMZ games are probably my favorite Megaman games, I remember being so blown away by that franchise. I only hope they can retain some of the "speed" and versatility that made those games so satisfactory while balancing with the obviously classic "clunky" feel they want this one to have as a classic-Megaman-inspired game.

To me, the optimal solution would be to play up the "combat sandbox" nature in such a way that you can play the game practically however you may choose. Again, MMZ did this so damn well, that I'm hoping they go hog wild here and only offer more along those lines.

Raitaro

I think I'm addicted to the main theme.

I'm being caught head bobbing to it at work.

Yeah me too! Both me and my girlfriend (who only accidentally listened along with me) find it to be very catchy indeed. Hopefully all the music will be this good.

Also:

Update #2 posted. Reading it now. It includes this paragraph: "...There are no losers in our success here, and no bad guys to rail against...."

(Emphasis not mine) Which I read as "guys, stop poking CAPCOM with a stick so much".

I found this sentence interesting as well. Either they aren't noticing that people are supporting this game to stick it to Capcom (which seems highly unlikely) or they are either distancing themselves from these anti-Capcom sentments to be safe or are indeed indicating that we should stop doing it. Could it be possible that Inafune wants to keep the door ajar for Capcom to step in and adopt Mighty No. 9 as an official (outsourced) Mega Man game, or is that an absurd notion?

I found this sentence interesting as well. Either they aren't noticing that people are supporting this game to stick it to Capcom (which seems highly unlikely) or they are either distancing themselves from these anti-Capcom sentments to be safe or are indeed indicating that we should stop doing it. Could it be possible that Inafune wants to keep the door ajar for Capcom to step in and adopt Mighty No. 9 as an official (outsourced) Mega Man game, or is that an absurd notion?

I just don't think those are his own motivations, and he wants to make that clear because a lot of people seem to interpret that as a driving factor.

Classy gonna class.

PetrCobra

Oh my god. This is gonna release on that Wii U, isn't it.

better have some nice GamePad usage though... can't see any other reason not to get this on PC instead

chrono01

IN FOR 60
Japanese Box or American Box!? HOW DO I DECIDE?
Go for the higher tier and get both. :)

In all seriousness, if you can only speak English [or Japanese, depending] go with that region's box. Otherwise you won't be able to read the print, especially in the case of the manual.

I do love the form factor of Famicom cases, though. Thankfully I have the $500 tier pledged [Original Sketch] so I don't have to make such a difficult decision.

MilkBeard

The person who predicted that this would get to 1.4 mil by tonight was pretty spot on, I think. It's 2:35pm in my time zone and it's only like 70k away from hitting that number. This thing is going pretty strong still.

Drago

I hope my assumption is correct that the DD method you choose would give you both the PC and Mac versions. GoG always includes both platforms if it has both, and then there's SteamPlay.

I would rather not have to chose one over the other.

I don't know much about Steam, but if a game is available on multiple OSs then doesn't it automatically let you play on whatever OS you're currently on, without the need to buy, say, separate PC and Mac versions?

Mithos

Gold Member
I don't know much about Steam, but if a game is available on multiple OSs then doesn't it automatically let you play on whatever OS you're currently on, without the need to buy, say, separate PC and Mac versions?

If a game is tagged on steam with SteamPlay I think you get access to both versions if you buy it, but not 100% sure.

Yes, and that is why I'm assuming we get both. But read this:
This is what it’s all about: You’ll get a code to download a brand-spankin’ new digital copy of Mighty No. 9, available via Steam or DRM-free digital distribution methods (your choice!) and possibly for Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii U, should we pass those stretch goals. In any case, we’ll ask all backers to choose which version they’d like before we send them a download code, with the default version being PC.

Going with GoG or Steam should just grant you all versions for download, but I don't know what to make of that last line.

Yes, and that is why I'm assuming we get both. But read this:

Going with GoG or Steam should just grant you all versions for download, but I don't know what to make of that last line.

They're probably talking about if/when they get to 2.5 million by default they'll give people PC codes unless they specifically ask for a console version instead

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, this is going as well as I predicted, which is somehow surprising!
KuGsj.gif

I think it's clever that the next stretch goal is only $150k away; due to its proximity we might be able to get it within the next couple of days and that will make it seem like the project hasn't lost any steam and hopefully drive more pledges/publicity.

Also, as I already said, I'm predicting a Rush-like assistant character for the first mystery stretch goal, and a secondary playable character (hopefully Call in her final design) for the second one.

Top Bottom