• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Blues1990

I'm very happy that this game has been getting the support & exposure that it (rightfully) deserves, & I hope that ConCept will be able to get the funds needed to reach the stretch goals. (I also hope that one of the secret stretch goals will be a co-operative mode, where the second player will play as Call.)

I was able to chip in $280. While it may seem like pocket change for some, I'm a firm believer that if you give a little, it will help a lot in the long run.

We're not even five days in and we are already over 50% of the way to getting the game on the PS3, 360 and Wii U. If this doesn't indicate how dedicated Mega Man supporters are, nothing will.

pariah164

1.3 million!

tumblr_lsemkc0nwt1qetmqsst.gif

Blues1990

We're not even five days in and we are already over 50% of the way to getting the game on the PS3, 360 and Wii U. If this doesn't indicate how dedicated Mega Man supporters are, nothing will.

True, but it doesn't change the fact that Capcom Japan doesn't have a clue with what to do with the Mega Man I.P. anymore. They haven't done anything to inspire confidence that the series is otherwise in good, capable hands. Sega may have gotten a lot of flack with the slew of crummy Sonic the Hedgehog games that had been released pre-Sonic Colours, but at least they TRY to keep him relevant.

Classic Mega Man, on the other-hand, hasn't been the healthiest (in the financial sense) & is currently suffering from an identity crisis.

The End

True, but it doesn't change the fact that Capcom Japan doesn't have a clue with what to do with the Mega Man I.P. anymore. They haven't done anything to inspire confidence that the series is otherwise in good, capable hands. Sega may have gotten a lot of flack with the slew of crummy Sonic the Hedgehog games that had been released pre-Sonic Colours, but at least they TRY to keep him relevant.

Classic Mega Man, on the other-hand, hasn't been the healthiest (in the financial sense) & is currently suffering from an identity crisis.

It seemed like Maverick Hunter X/Mega Man Powered Up were trial balloons to 2.5d remakes of their respective series, but neither were enough of a hit to go forward.

Chabbs0

Banned
I was able to chip in $280. While it may seem like pocket change for some, I'm a firm believer that if you give a little, it will help a lot in the long run.

I don't think many people will see that as pocket change, I'd call that a big contribution.

Neff

If it reaches 10m then Capcom really are going to look stupid, because you could probably have finished MML3 and still had change left over to finish MMUniverse for that.

Portugeezer

It won't come close to $10M. Kicktraq projections are incredibly inaccurate when it comes to videogames. I'd say $2-3M.

Pretty much. It will start to slow down after the first week then gain more momentum on the last few days with more awareness of stretch goals and KS reminder emails.

Fireblend

Banned
If it reaches 10m then Capcom really are going to look stupid, because you could probably have finished MML3 and still had change left over to finish MMUniverse for that.
You don't know how trends work :p still very few data points to make a good projection. Most likely it will end up getting ~3mil

I think people keep discounting that kickstarter only pays for development. "Capcom wouldn't care about a couple million dollars". Well we are at 1.3 mil and only 23k backers and nearly 1k of those aren't even $20. A game like this will easily sell a few hundred thousand copies at least, times $20 and that adds up rather quickly. With the right marketing and reaching the go to end up on consoles, a few hundred thousand could easily turn into a million sales or more.

zaccheus

Banned
Does anyone else think its a little fishy how quickly they've been getting money? Theres no gameplay footage and they are already at their first stretch goal. I think there's some definite professional investors going on here. It's pretty common with these bigger more elaborate kickstarters, to increase confidence in the product they'll get their investors to fund through the kickstarter.

Does anyone else think its a little fishy how quickly they've been getting money? Theres no gameplay footage and they are already at their first stretch goal. I think there's some definite professional investors going on here. It's pretty common with these bigger more elaborate kickstarters, to increase confidence in the product they'll get their investors to fund through the kickstarter.

not really

That seems weird to me since Kickstarter investors aren't "investors" in the traditional sense since they don't get anything if the game profits.

GunBR

No
It's basically a new Mega Man,a franchise with a huge fan base.
People don't need gameplay

No...

lol some people really underestimate the demand and fan support of old-school japanese games.

Busaiku

There's a list of backers you can check out.

Mzo

The people behind the project have proven themselves time and time again in various video games. I have full confidence in this project.

epmode

You're right that showing more of a game can increase funding. But as with Project Eternity and Double Fine Adventure, this project is being handled by people with tons of experience in the genre so they've earned backer confidence.

For a real suspect Kickstarter, see Gridiron Thunder and this story.

nbraun80

mr. Dyack is that you?

but honestly many of us are mega man fans and this is a great experienced team assembled to make a game like it, so we don't need gameplay footage.

23k users at 1.3 million = $60~ for the average. That's about what you'd expect.

Also, may I point you to the over 100k strong for MML3 campaign on facebook. Mega Man, Inafune, and by extention now MN9 has a huge and passionate following. It's very easily to believe that a relatively insignificant portion of them happen to have $40-60 to contribute to this project.

ZenTzen

nope, people just wanted a new megaman after years of nothing, and capcom would have been the ones banking on this, if they werent making decisions made on hypotheticals

massoluk

Banned

I heard Inafune is a pretty famous guy who had made some games. May be it's that.

Double Fine raised over 3 million dollars on a promise alone. Here we at least have concept art.

VariantX

No
It's basically a new Mega Man,a franchise with a huge fan base.
People don't need gameplay

True. Theres also factoring in when you have inticreates and a bunch of vets from the original megaman games back in the nes/snes days, its alot more easy to be confident that they can deliver too.

Is this your first time seeing a kickstarter?

Snaku

Banned
Watch, now Capcom will announce a new Megaman game, just like they announced Duck Tales when Shovel Knight got popular.

I'm ok with this, if they actually put AAA resources and talent behind it. Maybe even give it to Nintendo to reboot the series and tie in with Smash Bros.

TreIII

So which dev do you prefer? Double Helix or Spark?

Sad thing is, Inticreates has been right there the whole time, knows their shit when it comes to making MM games (obviously) and likely could do such a thing on a budget.

I mean, Bamco has certainly been getting plenty of mileage out of them...

capcom could just let wayforward do the work again! i'm sure, they would make an awesome megaman game .. jake kaufman megaman ost has to happen!

mighty switch force looks glorious on wii u.. similiar art style for megaman and i'm sold!

Top Bottom