• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I totally cannot be the only one who saw this
d872aedcdccf552f3a519ee565576732_large.jpg

and thought of Raz, right?

^
Nintendo much, Mr. confidential stamp?

I just want some kind of animal sidekick. I would hope that wouldn't need to be dangled as a stretch goal, but if that is necessary, animal sidekicks beat side/alternate characters any day. :p

v1oz

v1oz... are you seriously implying that games with high production values don't cost a million to make?

what universe are you from?
I'm obviously from a different universe.

Modern big budget AAA games like COD and Battlefield do cost millions. These are Hollywood size productions with hundreds of developers and artists across different continents working on them.

Most retro style indie 2D platformers that we get on the PC/Mac/Linux/ios cost a lot less to make. They don't need the type of production you'll get in a Battlefield or COD game. This is a result of the democratisation of the means of production. Because the tools and technology are more mature, better, faster and more affordable now than ever.

v1oz

pretty sure its dependent on their publisher and such if they get a backing of X much the publisher is willing to back it X much the actual game paying the people working on it and such costs way more than that 900k over a 18 month period.
You don't need a publisher to get on Wii U.

qq more

Most retro style indie 2D platformers that we get on the PC/Mac/Linux/ios cost a lot less to make.
You don't know what the game even looks like. We don't even know what the game looks like. All we saw were concept art.

Making 2D hi-res art isn't cheap. Also, graphics are not everything when it comes to budget. There are several factors. You don't know what you're talking about.

You don't need a publisher to get on Wii U.

What about 360? PS3?

Soi-Fong

If kickstarter games are so successful, why isn't Sega starting one for shenmue3?

Shenmue would prolly require an insane amount of money like 15 mil plus. Maybe even more. That would be very hard to reach... Or!!!! Sony is working with Sega for Shenmue 3!! ;)

Fireblend

Banned
what if the ????? is a 3DS version?

By the way the PR guy handling the Twitter and Kickstarter accounts has referred to a potential 3DS version as a very distant possibility depending on huge monetary and effort time constraints, I really doubt any sort of additional port is one of the mystery stretch goals. Plus I honestly think a 3DS port would eat a huge chunk of the backers' money that I'd rather see spent on the PC/Console versions.

hupla

I bet the ???? Goals aren't related to the game so much as the kickstarter like additional things added to the reward tiers. Maybe a skin added to the game for all backers or maybe a digital soundtrack added to 20and up tiers something like that

v1oz

If kickstarter games are so successful, why isn't Sega starting one for shenmue3?
Shenmue cost 70 million to make on the Dreamcast. Production costs for high end 3d games have since skyrocketed. Making a successor for next gen consoles that is equally as ground breaking would cost in excess of 100 million. It just wouldn't reach its funding on Kickstarter.

And besides Sega are a publisher their job is to fund the development of games.

iavi

Yes, and that is why I'm assuming we get both. But read this:

Going with GoG or Steam should just grant you all versions for download, but I don't know what to make of that last line.

If it's steamworks, Steam will take care of getting you the other versions, regardless of whatever code you choose from Comcept.

vg260

It looks like this will easily hit the New Game+/Turbo goal, so I'm content. I'll pick it up when it comes out.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
How mad would Capcom be if he was added to the Smash roster?

Fireblend

Banned
Well I guess this has finally reached the end of its honeymoon period. Hopefully they can get some content to show people to drive more pledges, but as of now I don't think this will do much more than 80k per day, and that's being generous. I actually think this project might behave a lot like Planetary Annihilation in terms of what's going to do per day from here on out, which should be pretty good, all things considered.

By the way the PR guy handling the Twitter and Kickstarter accounts has referred to a potential 3DS version as a very distant possibility depending on huge monetary and effort time constraints, I really doubt any sort of additional port is one of the mystery stretch goals. Plus I honestly think a 3DS port would eat a huge chunk of the backers' money that I'd rather see spent on the PC/Console versions.
Well the Renegade Kid guys have put their hand up if a 3DS version is needed, I wouldn't mind seeing a scaled down version ala the GB versions of Mega Man, I don't think it would cost that much to make if they wanted to.

Fireblend

Banned
Well the Renegade Kid guys have put their hand up if a 3DS version is needed, I wouldn't mind seeing a scaled down version ala the GB versions of Mega Man, I don't think it would cost that much to make if they wanted to.

It would cost waaay too much for it to be financed using the KS funds alone, IMO. I could see it being a different Kickstarter, or an effort made after initial sales once it's been released. It's not like the Renegade Kid guys are going to do it for free. And I say this as primarily a 3DS gamer that would be absolutely ecstatic if this ever happened.

Caffeine

ye it looks like its gonna be in good hands to hit that 2.5 million mark by the end of the campaign judging from previous KS's

It would cost waaay too much for it to be financed using the KS funds alone, IMO. I could see it being a different Kickstarter, or an effort made after initial sales once it's been released. It's not like the Renegade Kid guys are going to do it for free. And I say this as primarily a 3DS gamer that would be absolutely ecstatic if this ever happened.
Who knows how high the Kickstarter will go through, I mean if it ends up over 5 million or something maybe it would be enough to fund a 3DS version.

Personally I'm holding out for the Mighty No 9 Soccer game spin off to be a stretch goal :p

(Backed 200 towards this on day one btw, really excited for it)

FACE

Banned
Shenmue cost 70 million to make on the Dreamcast. Production costs for high end 3d games have since skyrocketed. Making a successor for next gen consoles that is equally as ground breaking would cost in excess of 100 million. It just wouldn't reach its funding on Kickstarter.

And besides Sega are a publisher their job is to fund the development of games.

I doubt Sega wants to flush their Total War profits down the toilet.

Top Bottom