• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Phenomic

Is that Mark McDonald? It's cool to see what former 1UP staff members are up to now.

Yes it is. If you didn't know he's working at a company called 8-4. They help localize games from Japanese to English and vice versa. They also are helping out with Mighty 9. They did the thank you video, wrote the kick starter page, and I'm sure the initial video as others have noted. They also do a bi weekly podcast about Japan games and Japanese games :p

There's normally a thread roaming around about it, so it's worth a listen if that's your thing.

I just listened to the one from the last week before the whole Mighty 9 thing and kind of wished I had before hand, so I felt compelled to answer this question for the 1.5 hours of entertainment they just gave me while the FF14 went down in the mean time.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
!!!!!!!!!!

QV17GiJ.png

There ARE more goals guys! I bet that Inafune dinner's looking rather enticing right now...

That said, we have had enough feedback about this that we have started looking into the possibility of adding a new pledge tier above the current $60 level that would include some kind of physical media with the game, ideally (but not necessarily) a USB memory device. We still need to analyze costs and gauge interest in the community to be sure this would be something worth offering, so please, let us know what you think!
Thanks!

Not sure what I think about USB, but I would consider upgrading should they go that route.

Also, the update mentions what is likely obvious, that next-gen and handheld ports depend on the level of interest they interpret. I figure 3DS is a given.

ZoddGutts

Like I said yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if it hit 1.4M+ today. Even if the funding slows down by half tomorrow, 1.5M is highly possible.

chrono01

Some nice information in there!

While I would like to see it hit next-gen consoles, especially since the game is scheduled for 2015 and I'll have moved onto the PS4 [with my current Wii U sitting alongside it] by then, I'll be happy just to have it on a console. I think it's pretty safe to assume that the goal of $2,500,000 will be met [unless something disastrous happens], so I guess we'll see how everything ends up. I'm glad to hear that they're at least considering it. They're being incredibly transparent about the whole Kickstarter [relaying their thoughts/concerns/etc.] which is refreshing to see. It's one thing to promise something, and then another to not deliver. They're being extremely cautious about what they're confirming/promising, which is refreshing to see.

I would love to get a physical copy of the game, even if it's merely on a USB drive. Of course a disc would be preferred, but I know that would cost even more so I'm not expecting it in the least.

I'm really excited to see how far this Kickstarter can go. I'll try to inform/educate as many people as I can about its existence.

Also, for those that missed out on the Original Sketch, it sounds as though more might become available. Get those F5 keys ready! :)

Busaiku

It's slowed down a lot, but I actually think $1.5 million is still possible tomorrow now.
Hope we find out what the $1.75 million goal is as soon as we hit $1.5 million.

qq more

I predict we'll end up at 3.5 mil in the end, if not more. 2.5 mil is a lock and I feel it's going to happen before the 2nd week ends.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It just hit me that I wouldn't mind never having another Mega Man game. As much as I love the Blue Bomber, I couldn't imagine Capcpom making one without Inafune's passion and dedication.

I would REALLY like 3DS collections for Battle Network and Star Force though. :(

Fireblend

Banned
yes and yes.

How Vita and even the 3DS are not part of target hardware releases is beyond me to be honest.

I'd say the explanation is quite clearly laid out in the latest update:

Q: Will you / can you / please make a PS Vita / 3DS version of Mighty No. 9?!

Another message we have gotten loud and clear: A portable version of Mighty No. 9 is something many of you are excited about -- and believe us, we would love to see it happen as well. Potential 3DS and/or Vita versions of the game are something we've been discussing since the earliest stages of this project, as handhelds are something our developers have plenty of experience with. Unfortunately, that experience tells us that these things cost money -- however, the road to making them a possibility is relatively straightforward: If we continue to see more and more fans asking for portable versions of Mighty No. 9, and if we're able to set and achieve stretch goals that would justify the cost, we would be thrilled to make this happen. In the meantime, we'll continue watching for more feedback and start working up more detailed budgets just in case, so please continue to let us know how much of a priority this is for you. Thanks!

Wohhh, just backed up this game for $100! I feel like I'm not just paying $100 for one game, but hopefully for a new series that will continue to play a part in my life as Megaman once did for me. That alone would be worth a measly $100.

Drago

Starting to enter the usual KS lull but it's still very impressive it's made this much in so few days. :)

Go go consoles!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
would usb drives really cost less than pressing dvds? i always thought the costs of the discs themselves was negligible compared to the packaging and distribution.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wohhh, just backed up this game for $100! I feel like I'm not just paying $100 for one game, but hopefully for a new series that will continue to play a part in my life as Megaman once did for me. That alone would be worth a measly $100.

Only $20 more for that paperback art book!

$45 more for an enemy plush and the other t-shirt!

Dinner with Inafune.

From reading all that, it looks like the next gen and portable versions are probably going to be the first goals above the 2.5 million. How much above probably depends on how much Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are willing to help with dev kits and software support. I'm guessing about 3 million for next-gen consoles, and 3.5 million for portable versions.

Vamphuntr

Yeah their explanation for next gen version or handheld version is logical and it's what I thought. Making games for many different platforms cost money and the team doesn't have any experience with next gen either. They would need to get dev kits for them too.

With about a year and half of development time and a limited budget people should understand they can't make a game for PC/360/PS3/WiiU/3DS/Vita/XboxOne/PS4 easily. At the very least they would need money to hire people to port it.

This game is already more profitable that Resident Evil 6.

I'll need a proof for that. RE6 cleared about 4 millions copies at 50-60$+ depending on the region. How something that isn't released and will probably get 3-4 millions in funding to make the game beat RE6 in profits?

Snaku

Banned
I'll need a proof for that. RE6 cleared about 4 millions copies at 50-60$+ depending on the region. How something that isn't released and will probably get 3-4 millions in funding to make the game beat RE6 in profits?

I seem to recall Capcom downgrading their earnings reports because RE6 didn't sell enough copies, even though it cleared the 5 million mark. Perhaps its bloated budget was a profit sponge?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yes and yes.

How Vita and even the 3DS are not part of target hardware releases is beyond me to be honest.

gaming handhelds in the west = not really that good.

A mobile version of this game? I'm all for that!

yeah now the lack of iOS version is weird (unlike the 3DS/Vita)

I'm ok with this, if they actually put AAA resources and talent behind it. Maybe even give it to Nintendo to reboot the series and tie in with Smash Bros.

No thanks.

Vamphuntr

I seem to recall Capcom downgrading their earnings reports because RE6 didn't sell enough copies, even though it cleared the 5 million mark. Perhaps its bloated budget was a profit sponge?

That's because they wanted to sell 7 millions. They wanted a growth over RE5... I really doubt they made less than 3 millions in profits for a game which they sold 4 million copies at full price.

would usb drives really cost less than pressing dvds? i always thought the costs of the discs themselves was negligible compared to the packaging and distribution.

I think the problem with pressing DVDs would be the minimum order required. To get a completely professional DVD pressing with case, it might take a minimum order of thousands of units. Whereas with a USB stick, you can get those made fairly custom with a minimum of like 50 units.

Snaku

Banned
Just bumped my pledge from $60 to $99. Ugh, I have to stop there. If the 2DS and Pokemon weren't coming out so soon... :/

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Just bumped my pledge from $60 to $99. Ugh, I have to stop there. If the 2DS and Pokemon weren't coming out so soon... :/

Pokémon X and Y will always be available
and the 2DS won't be leaving store shelves anytime soon.

How often will you ever be able to own an Inafune sketch and a 3D model of a Mighty No.?

Up your pledge today!

And dinner with Inafune.

Only $20 more for that paperback art book!

$45 more for an enemy plush and the other t-shirt!

Dinner with Inafune.
I really wish I could pledge that amount of money to have dinner with Inafune (and also to get to visit Japan). Of course I obviously don't have that insane amount of money, but I honestly would do so if I could.

chrono01

You know, for only $21 more you can get a [pretty sweet] softcover art book/strategy guide filled with Mighty No. 9 goodness. Given the concept art we've so far, I'm sure it will be incredible.

But why stop there? For a paltry additional $55 you can get a plushie of one of the enemy mascots [guaranteed to be extra-cuddly!] as well as the other region's t-shirt. Show off your "Beck-ness" to your friends. You will be the envy of everyone!

What's that, you demand more? Look no further than the $250 bundle! You know that softcover art book/strategy guide I mentioned earlier? Well in this tier you not only get a hardcover of that same book but it's signed by Inafune-san! That's right, the man...THE LEGEND...will personally sign your copy! Of course you're entitled to all of the previous rewards as well, in addition to receiving the other region's game box and manual. That's twice the manuals to give a generous sniff to!

I'll stop here but encourage you to check the even more expensive tiers. I can hear your wallet weeping from here. It'd be best to silence that thing as soon as possible and upgrade your pledge. You will be glad that you did!

This post was made due to extreme excitement over the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter. The user above is not held liable for any financial predicaments/situations you might suffer due to "up-pledging". I thank you for your service. (`_´)ゞ

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I might bump up to $99, depends on what they offer with the digital tiers.

Top Bottom