• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

It's already a complete game.

Let's not kid ourselves here.... it wasn't. It's called Mighy No. 9 and it had 6 stages... That left No. 7/8 out in the cold. This game was designed with 8 stages in mind, but they were covering their asses in case they couldn't afford to get it all done.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The fact that the sketches are sold out makes me want to pledge $250 even more.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's at the $500 level. Hmmm... hardcover guide...

chrono01

The fact that the sketches are sold out makes me want to pledge $250 even more.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's at the $500 level. Hmmm... hardcover guide...
They mentioned the possibility of getting more sketches done in the latest update.

If you're interested you might want to hold out for it. I know, it sounds like a lot of money, but we're talking a personally created [and signed] original sketch from Inafune, here!

They mentioned the possibility of getting more sketches done in the latest update.

If you're interested you might want to hold out for it. I know, it sounds like a lot of money, but we're talking a personally created [and signed] original sketch from Inafune, here!

I'm getting more and more tempted by the $250... sketches are nice, but hard bound artbook signed by inafune? Tough call.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I was loaded and could do the pledge to work with the team to develop a challenge, I'd combine two classic game moments for me. The first is the disappearing platforms in the Iceman stage in Mega Man with that sound they make. The second is in SMB 1-2 with the elevator platforms. I remember my family always had trouble with that, and I was the firs tin my family to pass it.

Those platforms were a really cool challenge if you didn't have the magnet beam. They were kind of rhythm based and required some jumping that would be trust-based if it weren't for the sound they make. I would combine that with the SMB thing by having platforms that are all descending to cross a long chasm. When they reach a certain point, they could make a sound or change color before breaking or something, to give you a clear signal that you want to jump off of them.

At first you'll have a next platform easily available, then you may need to jump back and forth between two paths of descending platforms before the third one shows itself, then the platforms will get faster so timing will get more tricky, and by the final jump you will just have to jump out in complete trust of the system it established with no sign of any next platform, at which point you'll seem to be falling into oblivion and then one will sweep under you and carry you off like a rocket ride to safety.

The challenge will teach you how to play it as you go, that jumping early or late is not good, but to trust the signal. And there will be an intuitive rhythm to it as it ramps up, so you may struggle at first, but when you are going through it successfully you'll feel one with the game so you can feel the difference between doing it properly and not. That is how I felt with the Iceman level, and the salvation/flying at the end of this would kind of representative of that feeling that you get from flowing with the game, almost like you passed the test and the game finds you agreeable, haha.

I think it would be fun to play and wouldn't even mind if someone stole it and gave me no credit.

HeelPower

Hopefully , they have also allocated a budget of their own other than kickstarter funding which was also good indicator of public interest.I mean after all this backing this better go all the way and shake the ground.

They gotta have something to fall back on that they don't need to tell us about.Its very uplifting to see this kind of support to this wonderful project.

This whole thing is very dodgy. Just how does this game (a 2D platformer) cost so much money to make? And seriously asking for $1.6 million extra just for console ports? There's no way the ports could cost more money than making the base version. Most Mega Man fans are console gamers!

Art style and art medium have 100% zero authority over total cost.

Shadow of the Eternals was gonna cost much less to make, that had high production values and as well as Wii U/PS4 versions all for $750,000.

A lot of work has already gone into SotE, though. And it was going to come in episodes.

MN9 has 4 months of prepro and is going to be fully featured game, like old MM games and has some pretty big talent working on it.

And SotE failed because everyone thought their projections were bullshit!

And the projection were.

They were banking on excess funding coming from having the SUCCESSFUL! on their page.

Oh, and:

If anything, this is way too cheap. Hiring an established developer such as Inti Creates to create what will possible be a multiplatform title with high levels of polish costs an extremely high amount of money, not to mention campaign logistics, music, other rewards, publishing costs, etc.. If anything this is one of the most realistic Kickstarters in terms of what they're asking for and what they're promising to deliver that I've seen. If you backed Double Fine's KS and you've been following the making-of, it shouldn't be too hard to see how the 3million+ they collected are starting to seem like a low amount of money now, and that's "only a point and click game"

chrono01

I'm getting more and more tempted by the $250... sketches are nice, but hard bound artbook signed by inafune? Tough call.
Thankfully with the $500 pledge, we get both.

But yeah, that's a lot of money to pledge. The $250 tier is incredible as well, and much more affordable. That signed book is going to be a treasured item for sure, since I have a strong feeling that Mighty No. 9 will be a great game [that extends into a full-blown series, hopefully].

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And seriously asking for $1.6 million extra just for console ports? There's no way the ports could cost more money than making the base version. Most Mega Man fans are console gamers!
Huh? The other stretch goals actually cost them nothing to make? You aren't thinking about this correctly/realistically.

chrono01

It's nearing $1,450,000 now with the next goal set at $1,500,000.

They had better announce that $1,750,000 goal soon. Nothing stops this Hype Train!

Let's not kid ourselves here.... it wasn't. It's called Mighy No. 9 and it had 6 stages... That left No. 7/8 out in the cold. This game was designed with 8 stages in mind, but they were covering their asses in case they couldn't afford to get it all done.

The 8 stages stretch goal was already reached by the time I made that post. He was talking about the new game + and turbo.

chrono01

Not only that, it's going to be a quality game.

Might have a new franchise on his hands.
That's the hope!

To be honest, with the people involved behind-the-scenes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this became a staple franchise. I realize I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but that's how much faith I have in this.

casmith07

That's the hope!

To be honest, with the people involved behind-the-scenes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this became a staple franchise. I realize I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, but that's how much faith I have in this.

When I saw the staff, I was like...we might have something here.

Everyone that ever made Mega Man great is working on this. Huge thumbing of the nose at Capcom.

Let's talk genuinely important stuff, which Call are you voting for? The one of the left with the ponytail is clearly the superior choice:

b733fef2a95df4f3de2a9074b4a043cf_large.jpg

The one on the bottom left.

I don't think the ones on the top left or bottom right are appropriate.

chrono01

When I saw the staff, I was like...we might have something here.

Everyone that ever made Mega Man great is working on this. Huge thumbing of the nose at Capcom.
Yeah, it's a beautiful thing to see.

By the way, I just noticed another backer chose the "Dinner with Keiji Inafune" tier. That would be an interesting experience, for sure.

4iEGh.jpg

These ones are the best, I'll be happy with either design.
Agreed.

CDV13

It would be awesome if that final strectch goal adds PS4/XB1. By the time this masterpiece is out it will probably be Q3 of 2014 or later (total guess) and there will be plenty of new system adopters who want this.

Busaiku

It would be awesome if that final strectch goal adds PS4/XB1. By the time this masterpiece is out it will probably be Q3 of 2014 or later (total guess) and there will be plenty of new system adopters who want this.

There'll be a $1 billion stretch goal for Mr. Inafune to build a real Beck.

Top Bottom