• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

chronomac

$1.5 million with almost a month left. I can see this smashing through $2.5 million. The team said they might add new stretch goals if the funding gets to the end of the current goals. So there's an outside shot at 3DS, Vita and next-gen versions, which could propel funding even more.

Ravek

Banned
I think it's a ridiculous expectation.

As much as I love Mega Man, his games were never the type to appeal to THAT wide of a demographic. Mega Man can sell very well, but never to that level.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

I hate that this is true.

Looks like we hit that goal, looking forward to seeing what this mysterious "???" goal is. I'm personally hoping for some sort of co-op / Call mode.

Busaiku

I think $1.75 million is still possible by the end of the week.
Depends on how much more it can get today of course, but I thought $1.5 million would've been the goal this week.

qq more

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

I hate that this is true.

Me too but I believe Mega Man is still a profitable franchise if it makes you feel any better.

The potential threat of legal action here does make this line of thinking SLIGHTLY more relevant....

Even if they did go toward legal actions I don't really think it'd end up any differently than the Tear Ring Saga (which was originally called Emblem Saga) situation. That was a PSone RPG from a former designer at Intelligent Systems that ended up being very similar to Fire Emblem. Nintendo sued them for copyright infringement and their case was thrown out from multiple cases. They did win a little under 800k in one case, but the game was never removed from shelves.

LeleSocho

Banned
For comparison's sake:

mn9_beckandcallmeulv.png

Sincerely everything but 5 is good, just be more creative with the palette color... fuck that red-purple-magenta

They're probably thinking what they're going to do with the 60 million dollars or so they'll be making from the Monster Hunter 4 launch right now.

All this "LOL POOR CAPCOM" stuff in this thread is really sad. Kickstarters don't have a negative impact on big publishers. Big publishers don't really care if there are dedicated fans willing to folk out a lot more than usual to fund a game concept they love before it even gets made. And that's not in a negative way. They don't care because it's not their business model and it has no impact on them.

Instead of hoping for misery and tears from a publisher you don't like, which isn't going to happen because it means nothing in the real world, why can't people just enjoy what they are getting? Does one good thing for you have to mean something bad for someone else? That just seems like a really unhealthy way of thinking. :p

It seems that's the only way to roll.

its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-kevin-chang.jpg

sephi22

In game cheevos/challenges might be one of the extra tiers

Ryan Korn ‏@CitizenKorn 6h
@MightyNo9 will the ps3 and 360 version offer trophy/achievements?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Mighty No. 9 ‏@MightyNo9 4h
@CitizenKorn Absolutely, yes! Both the system ones, and Mighty No. 9's own internal system (at a higher reward level backers can help make)

qq more

It does. But knowing Mega Man lives on in some sort of non half baked half ass capacity makes me feels wonders better.

Yeah, thank god this kickstarter is happening. I'm pretty excited to see how the game turns out in the end. Hopefully they make it a series! I'd love a MML spiritual successor spinoff

$1,501,046

YAY

Sciz

I think it's a ridiculous expectation.

As much as I love Mega Man, his games were never the type to appeal to that wide of a demographic. Mega Man can sell very well, but never to their level.

Battle Network had a good thing going, until it got run into the ground. The other series not so much, no.

Raitaro

Just pledged $250 to MNo.9 and $33 to GhostSong.

WiiU Owners UNITE!!!

Hear, hear!!! I tip my hat to you, more effluent Gaffer. Kudos on behalf of this Wii U owner!

And:
Just pledged $33, thanks for the heads-up.

You're very welcome :)

For comparison's sake:

mn9_beckandcallmeulv.png

I think the top left and bottom middle are the best/most synced designs.

I agree with this assessment, especially after seeing them next to Beck. Top left (Roll Call) and bottom middle (Bunny Call...?) for me as well. I especially like the ear thingies on Bunny Call, as well as her color scheme.

Oh, and speaking of Beck:

Now that I think about it. . . We don't have any alternate Beck designs. I guess that he is not up to debate since he is the main protagonist.

I also brought this up some pages ago. We can't be the only ones wondering about why such a fan driven project wouldn't allow the fans to choose the main protagonist's appearance, right? Even if they had let us choose between three slight variations (instead of 3 completely different designs, if that would be too much) that would have been very cool indeed. You're right though, they probably want to have at least Beck's design as a fixed foundation. Oh well.

Fake edit: apart from the name Call for the female companion, what would some other potential cool names be to use in this game (such as for the Wily, Rush and Proto Man equivalents). I propose Wave for the yet to be announced (animal) helper (as in sound wave). Then again, we barely know anything about the theme and setting for this game apart from it featuring Mega Man-like industrial design inspired levels and enemies so it's probably best to not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Ravek

Banned
Yeah, thank god this kickstarter is happening. I'm pretty excited to see how the game turns out in the end. Hopefully they make it a series! I'd love a MML spiritual successor spinoff

$1,501,046

YAY

Dear god, that would be the day. That would be the fucking day.

qq more

Battle Network had a good thing going, until it got run into the ground. The other series not so much, no.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of the platformer Mega Mans. (since we were comparing Mega Man to Sonic/Mario)

MMBN totally had potential but then they blew it :(

casmith07

Its no arrogance, they probobly just do not care. The megaman thing wasnt just capcoms fault, the series as a whole wasnt pulling in kids like mario or sonic, inafune left, so capcom did what capcom does with its franchises ignores them.

They didnt see it profitable, they do not care.

Probably correct. This one's going to sell, though (I hope).

1,500,000 reached!

I was not trying to offend you, sorry. I'm just saying, I think the 2.5 goal is pretty safe, I hope the secret goals and whatever goal is after 2.5 is more in-game content so everyone wants to upgrade their donations.

I now change my projection. LoL. I think we'll see another $1.5M raised by the end of the funding period.

I'm waiting to see what the mystery goals are before I double up.

mclem

I asked yesterday about seeing the t-shirt designs before the KS is over and the Twitter guy said that was unlikely since they'll probably want the design to be related to the finalized designs from the game. Which makes sense, but sorta bums me out.

That's a shame, and makes my choice much tougher. Still, plenty of time to agonise over it.

Rhapsody

Banned
What has he released since leaving Capcom? I know he was working on not one piece king of the pirates game did that ever release?

J.J. Rockets and Soul Sacrifice were the only ones he released so far after Capcom. Kaio (pirate penguin game) and Yaiba are still in development.

I'm not even going to ask...

I'm going to take that to mean you're asking. It's a term used to describe a (mostly) female character who shows affection by feigning dislike. Examples: Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akane from Ranma 1/2, and absolutely every female lead from every anime ever in the last 5 years...

Fireblend

Banned
Alright I'm officially dying to know what the mystery goal is.

Seems like they'll reveal it in a bit. Which is cool I guess, I thought they'd leave it as a mystery til the end to motivate people to pledge. Guess it's gonna be really great if they think revealing it will drive even more pledges.

They're probably thinking what they're going to do with the 60 million dollars or so they'll be making from the Monster Hunter 4 launch right now.

Probably invest it in making a new Onimusha, a new Ghosts n Goblins, a new DMC, a new Bionic Commando, and a new Rival Schools... as online iOS titles.

Village

It helps. You've always got more kids to sell to after a few years, and you don't even have to do anything new to draw them in.

This, sonic and crew had a long sprint of crap teir games. Sonic and crews games and other merchandise still do well. Having some appeal to children helps. The thing is though, the kid is a robot that shoots lazers. Kids should love that, so I think the issues lies less in megaman, design now and lies more into capcoms incapability of handling that franchise correctly.

All this "LOL POOR CAPCOM" stuff in this thread is really sad. Kickstarters don't have a negative impact on big publishers. Big publishers don't really care if there are dedicated fans willing to folk out a lot more than usual to fund a game concept they love before it even gets made. And that's not in a negative way. They don't care because it's not their business model and it has no impact on them.

Instead of hoping for misery and tears from a publisher you don't like, which isn't going to happen because it means nothing in the real world, why can't people just enjoy what they are getting? Does one good thing for you have to mean something bad for someone else? That just seems like a really unhealthy way of thinking. :p
I read that more of a; "hopefully this makes them rethink the direction that have been taking Megaman". Maybe this makes them realise that there is a demand for more Megaman.

Raitaro

I wonder if they have the budget to get Udon on the phone.

Or will udon be doing the artbook?

Udon could certainly publish the book in English as they do have to facilities and network for it, but hopefully they won't be responsible for the art / contents itself. Keep that stuff as close to the Japanese source as possible I would say. Then again, they might want to at least reserve a section of the art book for the great fan art that has already been popping up, and that again is right up Udon's alley I guess.

Mzo

New update! They're moving stretch goals around to make the console releases more of a priority.

That's great news for a lot of people.

jbug617

Banned
Just got a update and they moved up the console stretch goal
And that's why we’re happy to announce that, because of your feedback, we are officially pushing back the unannounced "???" goals in order to move the making-of documentary $250K closer, and yes -- the PS3/360/Wii U versions of the game $300K closer as well! :D As for the tiers that follow, we're currently revisiting our longer-term stretch goal plan based on this big change as well as other ideas we had (and of course, your feedback).

kunonabi

New update! They're moving stretch goals around to make the console releases more of a priority.

it really is since i wouldn't be able to play it otherwise. i'll be donating much sooner now.

Where is this update at? Don't see it on their KS page.

(edit) It's there, just not on the main page.

The point is, you all made it perfectly clear you have a Mighty urge to play Mighty No. 9 on systems other than just your PC/Mac/Linux box! You want to experience this genre the way you remember: sitting on the floor, looking up at your 17" tube TV, Capri Sun at the…wait. OK, maybe not exactly as you remember it, but close enough: nice and comfy, on your couch, playing on your full TV setup. (Those of us not lucky enough to have a nice PC-to-TV setup, at least!)

So, to everyone who spoke out -- congratulations, and thank you for making your priorities known. We realize we can't do everything you ask for, but we hope this shows you that we’re listening, and that we value your feedback. (We know many of you are asking for next-gen and handhelds, too, and we’re definitely hearing you; rest assured, today’s good news can only make those eventual goals lower than they would’ve been otherwise!)

A couple choice quotes for those of the Console and next gen crowds.

Fireblend

Banned
Hmmm, not sure I agree with their approach, I was hoping the console stretch goals would drive more pledges in the last couple of days.

In 1 day this made more money than Shadow of the Eternals did over the course of 2 separate Kickstarters. Dyack am cry.

Mad hyped for this thoo

So the next goal is documentary at 1.75 and next gen at 2mill or is is documentary at 1.75, ???! At 2, and consoles at 2.2? First reading it made it sound like both ???? Were being pushed back in favor of documentary and console versions, but the numbers they gave done match.

Edit: new picture makes things much clearer

Top Bottom