• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Hmmm, not sure I agree with their approach, I was hoping the console stretch goals would drive more pledges in the last couple of days.

There are enough people who won't pledge unless a console version is confirmed so we could potentially see a second wind once they hit that goal. Once you have a backer it's easier to get them to up their pledge for better rewards and further stretch goals. They must feel like getting console versions confirmed earlier could lead to more cash being pledged and more stretch goals being reached. There is also a chance they weren't expecting to get this far this fast and they're still working out what exactly those ???? Stretch goals are

There are enough people who won't pledge unless a console version is confirmed so we could potentially see a second wind once they hit that goal. Once you have a backer it's easier to get them to up their pledge for better rewards and further stretch goals. They must feel like getting console versions confirmed earlier could lead to more cash being pledged and more stretch goals being reached. There is also a chance they weren't expecting to get this far this fast and they're still working out what exactly those ???? Stretch goals are

All of this sounds reasonable. I'll be upping my pledge to $250 when I get home.

Gamefreak

Neo Member
Hmmm, not sure I agree with their approach, I was hoping the console stretch goals would drive more pledges in the last couple of days.

What is there to disagree about?
CONSOLE VERSIONS at 2,200,000!

Plus those who wait for the console versions will be chipping in once it hits that goal.
I don't see why this will be a bad thing.

So there's only one mystery goal now... Hmmm? Wonder if it's something a bigger deal than the console releases.

Definitely more than one mystery goal, you can see the top half of it at the bottom of the screen. I think that implies that if they reach 2.2 million they'll "scroll down" for more stretch goals.

Fireblend

Banned
What is there to disagree about?
CONSOLE VERSIONS at 2,200,000!

Plus those who wait for the console versions will be chipping in once it hits that goal.
I don't see why this will be a bad thing.

Dunno, now there's a gap of 450,000 between the making-of documentary and the console stretchgoal. That's gonna be a tough "stretch goal" drought. :p

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
For comparison's sake:

mn9_beckandcallmeulv.png

I've thought top left combo was the best, but now seeing bottom middle seems like a better choice to me.

Lunzio

I backed... after a few days of deliberating.

Not because I'm crazy about Mega Man, but because I'm a sucker for game documentaries.

Sciz

Why would they have to perfectly match? Astroboy didn't have the same proportions of the adults or many of the other characters.

Every other design does, including the other sketches of those two. They're outliers, and while I won't say it isn't possible to mix the styles, Inafune and Inti's past work suggests that they won't.

todd360

Kinda wish the documentary video was at the end of the list. Unless the ??? end up sucking. It just seems like a waste of money to make that first instead of console versions which will bring you more profit once the game is released.

Fireblend

Banned
Kinda wish the documentary video was at the end of the list. Unless the ??? end up sucking. It just seems like a waste of money to make that first instead of console versions which will bring you more profit once the game is released.

You obviously didn't back the Double Fine kickstarter or are aware of 2PP's level of polish on their documentaries.

Trust me, you want that goal reached as soon as possible, and calling it a waste a money couldn't be farther from the truth.

v1oz

Huh? The other stretch goals actually cost them nothing to make? You aren't thinking about this correctly/realistically.
Art style and art medium have 100% zero authority over total cost.

And the projection were.

They were banking on excess funding coming from having the SUCCESSFUL! on their page.

Oh, and:

Half Genie hero is only $400,000 and its a full HD hand drawn art 2D platformer running at 60fps on every major console. Wayword have some of the best hi def 2D art and animation in the whole industry. They are a highly proven entity and have produced many classic games over the years - I doubt they'd be under estimating their costs.

But these guys have not really showed us why Mighty No.9 has such high production costs compared to other similar 2D platformers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

todd360

You obviously didn't back the Double Fine kickstarter or are aware of 2PP's level of polish on their documentaries.

Trust me, you want that goal reached as soon as possible, and calling it a waste a money couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'm just saying that the console version stretch goal should be before the documentary stretch goal. The console versions will bring more profits to comcept than the documentary. Don't get me wrong I'd love to watch the documentary if it reaches the goal its just that I'd rather the money go to the actual game instead of a documentary.

qq more

Give it a rest, v1oz. We don't know what's exactly going on in the development of the game.

There are far more factors than just fuckin' 2D art. Get a god damn grip.

Half Genie hero is only $400,000 and its a full HD hand drawn art 2D platformer running at 60fps on every major console. Wayword have some of the best hi def 2D art and animation in the whole industry. They have produced many classic games over the years.

But these guys have not really showed us why Mighty No.9 has such high production costs compared to other similar 2D platformers.

MN9 is 3D and Inti-Creates has like 4X the people WF has

Half Genie hero is only $400,000 and its a full HD hand drawn art 2D platformer running at 60fps on every major console. Wayword have some of the best hi def 2D art and animation in the whole industry. They are a highly proven entity and have produced many classic games over the years.

400k is also only like 3 chapters which would be like a mega man game with only 3 robot masters.

v1oz

Give it a rest, v1oz. We don't know what's exactly going on in the development of the game.

There are far more factors than just fuckin' 2D art.

Well that's the exact point im making. They should come clear about their cost structure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inticreates makes better games in the genre and I'm sure they aren't cheap.

That being said I don't see any reason to back this game when they don't even offer it at a reduced price for backing it before it goes on sale. It's clearly going to make it to consoles (and beyond) so I'll just pick it up day one.

I'm just saying that the console version stretch goal should be before the documentary stretch goal. The console versions will bring more profits to comcept than the documentary. Don't get me wrong I'd love to watch the documentary if it reaches the goal its just that I'd rather the money go to the actual game instead of a documentary.

part of the documentary stretch goal goes towards console porting.

It's not as simple as "It's X amount after the last goal, so it must only cost X!" it's "The entire amount from start to finish pays for everything up to point X"

Inticreates makes better games in the genre and I'm sure they aren't cheap.

That being said I don't see any reason to back this game when they don't even offer it at a reduced price for backing it before it goes on sale. It's clearly going to make it to consoles (and beyond) so I'll just pick it up day one.

Game could be more then $20 at launch, also a lot of people backing want to see the behind the scenes development and help shape the game. If you just want the final product and plan on getting it day 1 why wouldn't you back it? It's going to be the same price or more day 1 and the more money that's backed the more likely we get extra content in the game

LiK

I would like a doc just to see Japanese game development in action especially from these vets. Sorry, don't care for console ports.

v1oz

If they're asking for 900k then it's very likely that's how much they're expecting to spend making the game.

Nope. You don't know that for sure unless you see their cost structure. My point point is that we have no real understanding of their value proposition, this is what makes me sceptical. It seems like they are asking an awful lot of money especially for the console ports.

It's easier to back a game that costs 40,000 on a whim, but for a game that costs $2.5 million you deserve to ask for a lot more scrutiny on where and how the cash goes.

Top Bottom