• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

I'm sure people wouldn't mind if they took away the documentary entirely and move up the console stretch goal even more.

See my post above. Part of the money from previous goals pays into the latter. Taking out the documentary goal (you really think that costs 250k to make?) would probably only push the console port goal up 10k or so.

For more info http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts

Specifically...

Some might wonder, where's the trouble? Isn't it just a matter of subtracting whatever amount the removed stretch goals cost and moving the next one up? An easy assumption to make, but actually, the answer is no, it isn't. The dollar amount for any one stretch goal isn't designed to go only towards that one stretch goal, at least not in many cases -- even after fees and rewards are taken out. Usually some percentage of funds goes toward the larger game as a whole, adding and polishing pieces that aren't as headline-worthy or sexy as the stretch goals (hopefully!) are. We’re happy that, in the end, we were able to make these adjustments without having to remove or reorder any goals we previously announced, as we can still be confident about the cost calculations we already had in place for them relative to each other. Basically, it lets us be more confident, more quickly, about safely affording the goals we are keeping, and for the amount of money we're asking for them.

qq more

Nope. You don't know that for sure unless you see their cost structure. My point point is that we have no real understanding of their value proposition, this is what make me sceptical. It seems like they are asking an awful lot of money especially for the console ports.

Are you implying this kickstarter is a scam or something? You do realize that console porting is lower priority... right? They're not asking all that extra funding dollars for console porting, way more than half of the extra funding is going towards other things. Did you even look at the stretch goals?

Will withdraw my pledge if Roll-Call is chosen.
II won't, but I'd be disappointed if they used that design. I'd prefer if they make Call more unique. I for one am hoping for the one with purple, long hair with the light blue eyes.
Seems kind of relevant. Megaman 9 and Megaman 10 will be on sale later on today in EU (along with other Japanese games).

Which would you recommend for someone new to the series? (and any must have DLC?)
I'd say Mega Man 9 then Mega Man 10. Both are good games.

v1oz

Are you implying this kickstarter is a scam or something? You do realize that console porting is higher priority... right? They're not using all that extra funding dollars for console porting. Did you even look at the stretch goals?
It could be. It's easier to back a game that costs 40,000 on a whim, and not ask so many questions, but for a game that costs $2.5 million you deserve to ask for a lot more scrutiny on where and how the cash gets spent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are you implying this kickstarter is a scam or something? You do realize that console porting is lower priority... right? They're not using all that extra funding dollars for console porting. Did you even look at the stretch goals?

Actually I think it is the main priority and they've positioned their goals in this way to get the most possible money out of Kickstarter. Moving it slightly closer was an even better tactic so that they have time to plan out whatever mystery goals they might reach.

Caffeine

Well that's the exact point im making. They should come clear about their cost structure.

but the other game already has tons of stuff done as the trailer shows so they had funding from another source before kickstarter. mighty no 9 they have only shown a part of a 3d character model for beck and tons of concept art lol.

if mighty no 9 already was playable in some levels then im sure the kickstarter would be at 400k-500k too coming to all major platforms by oct 2014 as well.

qq more

It could be. It's easier to back a game that costs 40,000 on a whim, and not ask so many questions, but for a game that costs $2.5 million you deserve to ask for a lot more scrutiny on where and how the cash gets spent.

Oh, okay! Inafune is a scam artist confirmed! Games are sooooooooo cheap to make!

(lol 40k)

Actually I think it is the main priority and they've positioned their goals in this way to get the most possible money out of Kickstarter. Moving it slightly closer was an even better tactic so that they have time to plan out whatever mystery goals they might reach.

Well yeah but I mean, it's not as high priority as the other stretch goals. I could've worded that better.

Are you spending 2.5 million? I know I spent $20 and I know my $20 will give me the game once it's done being made. That's what I know.

(edit) My point is, we know exactly where our individual money goes. If we get the things we are promised with the money we spent. Knowing the overall money collected so far and any bonuses from them collecting extra to reach stretch goals are just that. Extra.

Will withdraw my pledge if Roll-Call is chosen.

just do it now then.

character design is important but gameplay takes priority

Personally I want Roll Call just so Capcom can see both hands giving them the middle finger.

right hand = Not Mega Man Beck
left hand = Roll Call

That being said I wouldn't mind your avatar's design being a character for the M. NO. 9 "Legends 3" version game

waypoetic

Banned
g3xUPzD.jpg

O_O

I like it.

Well fuck.. That looks really good.

Well that's the exact point im making. They should come clear about their cost structure.

They already told us; the KS funding wouldn't cover it, but they plan to make it enough with their own funds. You want exact numbers? They don't exist yet, these are safe projections and that is all that is available.

If you think they're puffing up the costs to make bank in the end, perhaps consider the experience they have making games. Their projections are realistic because of that, and the KS page mentions that they don't want to risk the game falling short somehow, or being delayed, etc. They can't get this kind established industry talent involved and just scrape the bottom with the budget.

v1oz

Oh, okay! Inafune is a scam artist confirmed! Games are sooooooooo cheap to make!

(lol 40k)

Well yeah but I mean, it's not as high priority as the other stretch goals. I could've worded that better.
No I'm not saying he is. I just want more information ( a full break down) to be provided.

But just so you know even publishers don't always get their money's worth when funding the development of games. Read about Sega's Aliens Colonial Marines or the Activision Xmen game. So there is no harm in being a sceptic.

No I'm not saying he is. I just want for information ( a full break down) to be provided.

But just so you know even publishers don't always get their money's worth when funding development games. Read about Sega's Aliens Colonial Marines or the Activision Xmen game. So there is no harm in being a sceptic.

I, again, point out personal investment. If you're putting money into a kickstarter to reach an end goal, you're doing it wrong. Look at the rewards for donating, if something catches your eye, go for that. Take note and keep up on the end stretch goals if you want, but always bare in mind that they are only ever bonuses.

You shouldn't be worried about "Is 2.5 million really needed?" because it's not your 2.5 million and you don't really have any say on what they do with that money. You should be worried about "If I give them $20 (or 40 or 500) will I get what I was told I'd be getting?" and in the case with all of these industry vets working on this project, almost certainly you will.

qq more

But just so you know even publishers don't always get their money's worth when funding the development of games. Read about Sega's Aliens Colonial Marines or the Activision Xmen game. So there is no harm in being a sceptic.

I don't think we should worry. This is a collab between Inti-Creates and Comcept. The former (along with ex-Capcom employees such as Inafune from Comcept) has made many Mega Man games in the past decade.

Busaiku

I'm willing to bet that the mystery goals were something like Not Protoman/Zero or Not
Aero
Call modes.
Now I worry if those will be reached, especially if it's kept a mystery (again, I'm just speculating what they were, I've got no idea).

Manu

Ugh @ some of the comments:

Ryan Flake about 1 hour ago
I could not care less about console releases- It's great as we open the game to more gamers- which is good- but I haven't cared about consoles since the SNES.

Emil Co about 1 hour ago
I was curious to know what those ??? goals were... They could have the game much better.

I don't know why people are asking for consoles specifically. You can just hook up your laptop/PC into the TV with an HDMI or similar cable, without costing the dev team so much more.

Ben Smooker about 1 hour ago
Oh goody, the console guys get their game with less money, but we lose a potential feature.

I could not care less about console releases- It's great as we open the game to more gamers- which is good- but I haven't cared about consoles since the SNES.

Emil Co about 1 hour ago
I was curious to know what those ??? goals were... They could have the game much better.

I don't know why people are asking for consoles specifically. You can just hook up your laptop/PC into the TV with an HDMI or similar cable, without costing the dev team so much more.

Oh goody, the console guys get their game with less money, but we lose a potential feature.

short sighted people.

If console owners look like they will be getting their version then the more backers the KS will have, and the more stretch goals the campaign can reach

Emil Co about 1 hour ago

Seriously, this kick starter has got 3million plus locked, they really shouldn't worry

Soule

Emil Co about 1 hour ago

See absolutely nothing wrong with the bolded quote, even says it's great to have the game on more platforms, why do you care that he doesn't care about consoles? The second one is stupid lol, that's how I intend to play the game but c'mon Emil Co...

Last guy... 'ugh' is correct.

Vamphuntr

Pretty happy they pushed the consoles goal up. Probably the smart thing to do as even here people were asking for console version (and even handheld and next-gen version). Would probably help for the Japanese side of the funding too. I would much prefer to play this on PS3/360 than on my PC to be honest and like they say in the update Megaman was pretty much a console centric series in the first place.

PureGone

Banned
Makes zero sense. If you back it at a certain rate you essentially buy yourself a copy.

I just don't believe in successful devs who probably have a lot of money using kickstarter. Also he has some influence in the gaming world, i'm pretty sure he would have been able to find a publisher for the game.

Fireblend

Banned
A level editor would absolutely blow my mind. I won't expect it because I bet it would be lots of efforts to add into the game, but I can totally see it being a potential post-2.5mil goal. (I hope that wasn't the "????" goal they bumped back
KuGsj.gif
)

Nokterian

That part really got me, it shows that capcom didn't give a damn. Though i didn't play megaman after 3 i still loved it when new versions came out but after that nothing until reading about Legends 3 cancellation that did hurt me because well the huge fan base but also this game has some of my favorite memories as a kid. Now supporting this is also going back to that childhood and reliving that awesome platforming.

Miletius

I definitely would've much preferred to see the mystery goals before any console ports.

Eh, me too but that's only because the PC is my platform of choice. I can understand why people want console versions, since this game type has more of a legacy on consoles.

sephi22

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a video Inafune made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed kickstarter pitch video I’ve ever half-heartedly plodded my way through.

Make no mistake; the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter pitch is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

A level editor has been my own hopeful secret goal since the beginning. I really want to see how the community would devour that MM Universe idea, I hope he at least attempts that again in a future project.

Rhapsody

Banned
Now I really want a level editor. I spent countless hours in Powered Up because of that.

I seriously hope that's one of the stretch goals now. If not, someone needs to tell them to include it as one.

Now I really want a level editor. I spent countless hours in Powered Up because of that.

I seriously hope that's one of the stretch goals now. If not, someone needs to tell them to include it as one.

I just asked for it in the comments for the latest update, and many more have as well. Everyone that wants that should also ask for it if they're a backer. They are likely reading those comments, and that request might start trending if enough start asking for it.

Top Bottom