• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

jabuseika

...and GAFfers said $2,200,000 was too much for the console stretchgoal.

There's still 26 days to go, and I think a solid $3mil is within reach.

What size is the shirt going to be available in?

rUUL7qB.png

Busaiku

...and GAFfers said $2,200,000 was too much for the console stretchgoal.

There's still 26 days to go, and I think a solid $3mil is within reach.

I never thought $2.2 million or even $2.5 million was anywhere near an impossibility, but now we're definitely hitting those doldrums where it might only do $50,000 or less a day.
8-4 Play will probably have an episode with this next week, so that should help. As well as other stuff like the interviews with Mr. Inafune going up and whatnot.

nearly 1.6mil in 5 days with 26 days to go and you guys are worrying? Damn, relax guys lol.

Randomly found this nice gif
tumblr_msmow4yqyE1r8lyrxo1_500.gif
The Classic Mega Man gif looks really awkward, but I love X's reaction.
100k over the next day maybe, probably less, after that it will taper off down into the sub 50k range until the final few days.

I would say it will pull in about another million over the next ~22 days prior to the final push in the last 3-4 days. Could do bigger numbers if they have some really interesting/fun stretch goals.
After it reaches the documentary, I'm hoping that they do reveal their other potential plans to help encourage more funding. I don't think they should wait until the PS3/Wii-U/360 stretch goal is reached.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They should get the speedrunner teams to do a Mega Man series marathon stream to raise awareness.

Castcoder

Banned
They should get the speedrunner teams to do a Mega Man series marathon stream to raise awareness.
Screw that. Have Keiji Inafune do a developer commentary on his own games! As a student, I'd be interested in learning of his stories of development in earlier days.

mclem

Screw that. Have Keiji Inafune do a developer commentary on his own games! As a student, I'd be interested in learning of his stories of development in earlier days.

They probably do not have the rights to officially show Mega Man content beyond fair use terms.

Mind you, I'd love to hear that too.

I was meaning to ask; in the video, before Keiji looks over at the construction worker, there's a scene with him, 'Roll' and 'Rush' in front of a large gate. I've got a nagging feeling the gate looks familiar, too, but I can't place it.

nubbe

omg I missed this
my body needs this

I would have thought that a new Inafune MM clone would be more like Zero than MegaMan

$175 back... need plushie!

Man, this just won't stop.

If Inafune needed any confirmation that people still love him and Mega Man, this should ease all of that.

Also, Capcpom better be sweating bullets right now.

Fireblend

Banned
I said it before, but I'm worried they kind of sacrificed their momentum by rearranging the goals and placing a 450k-gap between the documentary and the console goals. We won't see the documentary stretch goal reached at least until the day after tomorrow, and I guess we'll get the console goal at some point after the day counter goes single-digits.

Village

Man, this just won't stop.

If Inafune needed any confirmation that people still love him and Mega Man, this should ease all of that.

Also, Capcpom better be sweating bullets right now.

They do not care, I m guiessing. Capcom wants mega man to be pulling people like mario or sonic. Megaman wasn doing that, so they dropped it.

They do not care, they are probably, more concerned with money they have been lossing en masse.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I've got this on my watchlist.

If it hits the console stretch goal I will be in for sure.. I would pledge extra for a PS4/X1 version as those will probably be my primary consoles once this drops.

They do not care, I m guiessing. Capcom wants mega man to be pulling people like mario or sonic. Megaman wasn doing that, so they dropped it.

They do not care, they are probably, more concerned with money they have been lossing en masse.

Capcom just wants these big AAAA checks, mega man games would be profitable on a much smaller scale. It boggles my mind how they can justify a strider game from double helix but not Mega Man

Village

Capcom just wants these big AAAA checks, mega man games would be profitable on a much smaller scale. It boggles my mind how they can justify a strider game from double helix but not Mega Man

Some odd sense of pride mixed with not knowing what to do with the franchise, if I were to guess. And yes, they do want them big checks. It isn't working out too hot through. They have been killing of series for a while, maybe justb maybe instead of killing them off they could have made a bunch of reasonably budgted games and made money. And then used that to fund the bigger ones. Eh I dunno I do not know the ins and outs of buisness so I can't say too much.

I wanted a megaman mmo though in a zx kinda style or battle network

omg I missed this
my body needs this

I would have thought that a new Inafune MM clone would be more like Zero than MegaMan

$175 back... need plushie!

Inafune loved Zero. I'd be very very surprised if we don't get a zero-a-like. Either via stretch goal or as a "surprise" in the final game.

Some odd sense of pride mixed with not knowing what to do with the franchise, if I were to guess. And yes, they do want them big checks. It isn't working out too hot through. They have been killing of series for a while, maybe justb maybe instead of killing them off they could have made a bunch of reasonably budgted games and made money. And then used that to fund the bigger ones. Eh I dunno I do not know the ins and outs of buisness so I can't say too much.

I wanted a megaman mmo though in a zx kinda style or battle network

This is the thing that confuses me... Budget titles can and DO work when advertised correctly (see Farcry 3's standalone expansion). Episodic gameplay didn't work a few years ago (with a few exceptions) but small stand alone titles can.

Right now there is a huge gap between indie titles ($5-15 range) and AAA games ($50-60) that isn't being filled. Instead sales in the $20-40 range are being taken over by older AAA titles which we all know only accounts for a small portion of overall sales. This would be the perfect area for the big players (EA, Ubi, Capcom, SE) to pull in business on.

The fact that MN9 falls into the low end of this category and is already very well received leads me to think it's going to do great sales wise at $20. Especially with the name recognition and level of polish we'll be expecting.

TreIII

They do not care, I m guessing. Capcom wants mega man to be pulling people like mario or sonic. Megaman wasn doing that, so they dropped it.

As stated before, the irony is that the EXE/Battle Network series was doing just that for Capcom throughout the early-mid 2000s. It was only after they ruined shit by a) too many sequels and b) replacing the familiar EXE cast with the Ryuusei/Starforce cast that nobody liked as much that things really went sour for them.

It's sad, but I always thought it to be true. As much as some "purists" may have hated the "hobby style" EXE games, it was the main thing that kept Rockman relevant to Capcom for many years, and likely was the main reason that X and Zero games kept getting made on the same token in that time frame.

Notice how as soon as the EXE well dried up, that's when Capcom started to get a bit more funny-acting with the Mega Man brand. Beginning with 8-bit cash-ins that were marketed towards the retro crowd, without also having something that kept the franchise in the minds of kids and have them running out to buy merchandise.

Capcom needs a Rockman that either can a) recapture that EXE market and/or b) play up the "play together" aspect that MonHun built up in the worst way, if they have any ambition of bringing the brand back. The "AAA" model just isn't a good fit, and thus, why I rejoiced in the death of the FPS idea.

Mighty No. 9 got blurbed on a TV show called EP Daily. In my market, it comes on after Craig Ferguson. It's generally a tech/gaming/movie show that could use a little work, but during a daily rundown they mentioned Inafune so my head snapped up. Lo and behold, it was a short segment on MN9.

http://epdaily.tv/all/spotlight/september-4-rundown-guardians-of-the-galaxy-star-wars-episode-vii/

I couldn't link to the direct timecode for the mention, so it's a minute or two into the video. Sure it's late night, and sure it's what-the-hell-show-is-this, but it's nice to see the TV shout out.

qq more

The FPS idea was seriously stupid, I was disappointed Inafune thought that was even a good idea. It wouldn't capture the dudebro market and it certainly wouldn't win over the fans. It was for the best it got cancelled.

Mighty No. 9 got blurbed on a TV show called EP Daily. In my market, it comes on after Craig Ferguson. It's generally a tech/gaming/movie show that could use a little work, but during a daily rundown they mentioned Inafune so my head snapped up. Lo and behold, it was a short segment on MN9.

http://epdaily.tv/all/spotlight/september-4-rundown-guardians-of-the-galaxy-star-wars-episode-vii/

I couldn't link to the direct timecode for the mention, so it's a minute or two into the video. Sure it's late night, and sure it's what-the-hell-show-is-this, but it's nice to see the TV shout out.

2:23 is exactly where he starts talking about Inafune. Pretty awesome this is getting attention!

Mesoian

Kenji Inafune HIMSELF does more promotion for his games than Sega does for their entire line up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I found this little gem amusing on Capcom-Unity's forums. It's not inaccurate, but sounds a bit dismissive and defensive:

Question:
-Hypothetically speaking, could the kickstarter for Mighty No. 9 prove that there do is interest in the west for Mega Man (assuming such information bacame available).?

Answer:
- Lastly, I think that the Kickstarter proves that Inafune has 26k fans (at this time) and everything else is speculation, hypothetically speaking.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...thinks-mega-man-is-unpopular-on-the-west?pg=1

CTLance

29k fans, and steadily increasing.

That said, the rep or whoever is answering is probably completely fed up with this situation by now. No doubt the sheer amount of mockery and derision about Capcom and Megaman and this Kickstarter is palpable over at Capcpom HQ.

I found this little gem amusing on Capcom-Unity's forums. It's not inaccurate, but sounds a bit dismissive and defensive:

Not that I exactly dislike the guy, but Inafune alone is certainly not the reason I'm backing this. I think it's safe to say this particular team would not have been assembled, especially for this kind of project, without him though. Regardless of what you think about his ego or his creative talent, the guy has clout and vision as a producer.

Village

As stated before, the irony is that the EXE/Battle Network series was doing just that for Capcom throughout the early-mid 2000s. It was only after they ruined shit by a) too many sequels and b) replacing the familiar EXE cast with the Ryuusei/Starforce cast that nobody liked as much that things really went sour for them.

It's sad, but I always thought it to be true. As much as some "purists" may have hated the "hobby style" EXE games, it was the main thing that kept Rockman relevant to Capcom for many years, and likely was the main reason that X and Zero games kept getting made on the same token in that time frame.

Notice how as soon as the EXE well dried up, that's when Capcom started to get a bit more funny-acting with the Mega Man brand. Beginning with 8-bit cash-ins that were marketed towards the retro crowd, without also having something that kept the franchise in the minds of kids and have them running out to buy merchandise.

Capcom needs a Rockman that either can a) recapture that EXE market and/or b) play up the "play together" aspect that MonHun built up in the worst way, if they have any ambition of bringing the brand back. The "AAA" model just isn't a good fit, and thus, why I rejoiced in the death of the FPS idea.

I see what you are saying, Battle Network was their taste of that coveted legendary pokemans like money. After they messed that up, and by focusing on that soo much ruined the X series, and letting off the two best additions to 2D megaman Zero and Zx fall relitivly unnoticed onto hand helds. Well they didn't really think megaman was worth that sort of investment, sad thing is I actually think it was.

You remember that megaman MMO that was suppoused to happen, I think if advertized well along with a T.V show and the game being geneally good. It may have gotten more people like capcom wanted into megaman. I think they should have went the Zero Zx aesthetic though. Back to my point, I play DCUO I like super heroes comic books and what not. I find that that MMO got a lot of people into comic books, or atleast reaserch the source material. I dunno I think Megaman online would have done more good than harm.

MML3 wouldn't have hurt eithe.

But its gone, just like so many other capcom franchises since mid ps2 era

TreIII

You remember that megaman MMO that was suppoused to happen, I think if advertized well along with a T.V show and the game being geneally good. It may have gotten more people like capcom wanted into megaman. I think they should have went the Zero Zx aesthetic though. Back to my point, I play DCUO I like super heroes comic books and what not. I find that that MMO got a lot of people into comic books, or atleast reaserch the source material. I dunno I think Megaman online would have done more good than harm.

MML3 wouldn't have hurt eithe.

But its gone, just like so many other capcom franchises since mid ps2 era

I don't think a MMO would have done as much as it could have, especially considering that Rockman's main appeal should always be with kids (and the kids at heart).

What I think MM needed was something akin to MonHun, utilizing the EXE aesthetic. Create your own NetNavi, and go "hunt" Viruses and bad NetNavis in CyberSpace. It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder why nobody sprung on this type of idea long before now. Especially by the time the "MonHun-like" started getting popular.

That's a lot of money on concept art and faith alone. I'm happy gamers are still willing to dream, even if the game might not look anything close to that concept art.

Fireblend

Banned
That's a lot of money on concept art and faith alone. I'm happy gamers are still willing to dream, even if the game might not look anything close to that concept art.

Well, it's not like this is a team of inexperienced designers and developers we're dealing with, I'd say there's a certain degree of confidence that this game will be good based on the fact that Inti Creates has a pretty solid development history, same for Inafune. I would hardly call it faith.

I'm perfectly aware that the end product might not look at all like the concept sketches. Is that the game I'm backing? No, I'm backing a new platformer game designed by Inafune and developed by Inti Creates in the vein of Megaman, because that alone sounds like something I'd really like.

Top Bottom