• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

What on earth is the point of the PS3/360 stretch goal???

The game will not be out until 2015!!!...who will still be actively using their PS3 and 360 consoles in 2015 and thats even if xbl and psn servers are still available for these consoles that far in the future!?

I was thinking the same thing.

Busaiku

It took like until 2009/2010 for people to get into last gen.
I don't know why people think things will die out so soon, especially with all the PS3 announcements.

Lettuce

It took like until 2009/2010 for people to get into last gen.
I don't know why people think things will die out so soon, especially with all the PS3 announcements.

What developer creates games for a console once is has been obsolete for over a year though....apart for 1st party developers. I doubt any games will be coming out on the 360 this time next year let alone 2015...and lets be fair that date for Might No.9 could and probably will slip further back into 2015

Surely it cant make good business sense?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

The game will not be out until 2015!!!...who will still be actively using their PS3 and 360 consoles in 2015 and thats even if xbl and psn servers are still available for these consoles that far in the future!?
Er. I don't think they'll discontinue either system or the servers for XBL/PSN for previous-gen systems right when the new systems come out. You have to understand that people who don't post on this forum or other gaming fora may not be so quick or readily able to adopt new platforms right when they come out, or even two years after they are released.

In fact, didn't MS once say that they'd like the 360 to coexist with the Xbox One at one point? Yeah, they're not going anywhere for the next two years. I don't think Sony's going to drop PS3 support, either. Even the PSP is still getting support in Japan.

It honestly does take a while for systems to be phased out. People were still playing PS1s a few years after the PS2 came out. People were playing SNES games a few years after the N64 came out. You could still even purchase those platforms even after the new platform was released.

Not to mention that there are markets that would still be more prone to purchasing stuff on the Xbox 360/PS3 simply because the PS4/Xbox One may be more expensive, they may not have access to those platforms in those territories, or they may not have an abundance of those systems in those territories.

What you're saying may be relevant to us on this forum and other games forums, but it certainly may not be relevant to others who won't invest in a new system as of yet even into 2015 (ex: those who don't play games as often yet still purchase things digitally, those who would wish to stick to their older platforms longer, etc.).

qq more

I seriously doubt there would be half the userbase of the next gen counterparts by 2015. Selling almost 40 million for both systems in 2 years does not sound likely.

What developer creates games for a console once is has been obsolete for over a year though....apart for 1st party developers. I doubt any games will be coming out on the 360 this time next year?

COD and the sports games will be made into 2015 I would wager for PS3/360 unless PS4/One REALLY REALLY take off like the Wii did.

What developer creates games for a console once is has been obsolete for over a year though....apart for 1st party developers. I doubt any games will be coming out on the 360 this time next year let alone 2015...and lets be fair that date for Might No.9 could and probably will slip further back into 2015

It's been known to happen, especially on popular systems. If there is still an install base, there will probably be some developer willing to take advantage of it. See Pokemon W/B 2, Pokemon Conquest, Persona 3 and 4, ect.

Interested in backing, but the March 2015 release date is a little off-putting, especially considering in the past other Kickstarter video game projects have gotten delayed past their promised launch date.

Pengew

I have been nothing but excited for this game. Until this thought popped in my head.

9728744028_dc757827e1_b.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Er. I don't think they'll discontinue either system or the servers for XBL/PSN for previous-gen systems right when the new systems come out. You have to understand that people who don't post on this forum or other gaming fora may not be so quick or readily able to adopt new platforms right when they come out, or even two years after they are released.

In fact, didn't MS once say that they'd like the 360 to coexist with the Xbox One at one point? Yeah, they're not going anywhere for the next two years. I don't think Sony's going to drop PS3 support, either. Even the PSP is still getting support in Japan.

It honestly does take a while for systems to be phased out. People were still playing PS1s a few years after the PS2 came out. People were playing SNES games a few years after the N64 came out. You could still even purchase those platforms even after the new platform was released.

Not to mention that there are markets that would still be more prone to purchasing stuff on the Xbox 360/PS3 simply because the PS4/Xbox One may be more expensive, they may not have access to those platforms in those territories, or they may not have an abundance of those systems in those territories.

What you're saying may be relevant to us on this forum and other games forums, but it certainly may not be relevant to others who won't invest in a new system as of yet even into 2015 (ex: those who don't play games as often yet still purchase things digitally, those who would wish to stick to their older platforms longer, etc.).

Yeah, it really isn't that hard to believe that there will be people still playing 360s/PS3s in 2015. (I mean, Persona 5 might not ever be out until that time ;P)

More Not-Roll Call fanart.

JjwRJMD.png
jWLtBwp.jpg

shaowebb

Someone should see if they can get The Protomen to do an end credits extended version of "Due Vendetta" where they shout out the Mighty Numbers and the names of cast from the game.

EDIT: Tweeted both The Protomen and Mighty No9 :)

todd360

This is a hardcore gaming series though (atleast megaman is). Many of the people who want this game will have moved on to the new systems by the time this comes out. Plus this is a new IP. Anyone who wants new IPs will have moved on to next gen for sure because thats where the new IPs are.

SkyOdin

Atlus released Persona 4 on the PS2 two years after the release of the PS3. It was hardly the last PS2 game ever released. The Vita has been out for quite a while, and we are still getting PSP games. I'm surprised that people forget so quickly how long consoles stick around and remain significant after their successors are released.

Even two years into the PS4's life, it will still have a significantly smaller install base than the PS3. It makes sense for small-budget developers to target the older console with the larger user-base. Traditional, "obsolete" consoles have been a haven for quality low-budget games.

GetemMa

Just pledged.

Lets get this over the 2.2 million mark and get this on consoles!

(no idea why their delivery date is April 2015 and yet they are targeting the 360/PS3/WiiU, should be PS4/Xbone/WiiU)

Drago

Hell yes $2M!

Honestly at this point I see them getting all the way to $3.2M. I don't think there's anything to worry about with PS4/XB1 versions. Maybe I'm too optimistic though.

mosaic

go eat paint
I'll still have a 360 in 2015; too much DLC not to.

Besides, Mega Man 6 came out in 1993, 2 years after the SNES was on sale.
Mega Man X6 came out in 2001, a year after the PS2 had been on sale

Granted, for longevity they ought to target the upcoming gen, but if their main goal is to simply get the project made, why not target the consoles they already know?

If this succeeds, maybe a greenlight for the sequel will happen!

Manu

Atlus released Persona 4 on the PS2 two years after the release of the PS3. It was hardly the last PS2 game ever released. The Vita has been out for quite a while, and we are still getting PSP games. I'm surprised that people forget so quickly how long consoles stick around and remain significant after their successors are released.

God of War 2 released in March 2007 for PS2.

It was extremely well received and sold a fuckload.

I'm so happy and excited about this game! Just backed $60, I can't believe this is happening!

I loved Megaman 8, X4, and Zero series and ZX.... I hope the graphics looks similar to those games with the oldschool sprites. Not like MMX7 or even Maverick Hunter X... I liked the game but I wasn't a fan of the 3D graphics rendered on the 2D plane. I think it looked much better when it was purely 2D.

X4 was the epitome of Megaman games imo, everything from the visuals to the music and the minor story it had for each of the characters was amazing. But it was also my very first Megaman game so I may be biased. Did they Mighty #9 team mention how the graphics in this game will be? I really hope there's no 3D

The stretch goals are kinda stupid. Console versions should be a priority. No way in hell they are gonna reach the PS4/X1 stretch goal. It's been said before, but I don't understand PS360 versions at all considering it releases spring 2015.

SkyOdin

The stretch goals are kinda stupid. Console versions should be a priority. No way in hell they are gonna reach the PS4/X1 stretch goal. It's been said before, but I don't understand PS360 versions at all considering it releases spring 2015.

They did make a console version the priority. They reshuffled their stretch goals about a week ago to bump the console versions further down the list. Also, as has been addressed above, releases on older consoles after their successors have already launched is hardly a strange thing. Pretty much every sub-series in the Mega Man franchise has had it happen.

Comandr

Came to post this. Checked up on the goal today and that's when it hit me: What the hell is the point of releasing a digital PS360 game that's probably going to get very little advertising/only appeal to a niche crowed on a system that will be in the shadow of its successor for two years?

By this time two years from now, next gen consoles will be in full swing, and people are going to be trading in their current systems like its the end of the world to pick up the next ones. Whether you frequent NeoGAF or you're just Joe Gamer (accidentally typed Gamera. Laughed a lot.), you're going to be interested in the new consoles, period. As for the people that hang on to their ancient consoles, they probably are going to be in homes that aren't connected to the internet, and won't be getting, seeing, or hearing about Mighty No. 9 in any way, shape, or form in the first place.

If MN9 doesn't make it past PC/Mac, and onto next gen consoles, Comcept could be making a critical error in missing a huge, and hungry market.

Bgamer90

Banned

The userbase for the 360/PS3 will still be much bigger than next gen in 2015.

Third party devs (EA/Activision) will probably still be making current gen games until 2016 or so.

Cutting support of the current consoles only a year or two after next gen releases is bad business sense.

Bgamer90

Banned
Judging by some of these responses, it seems like this will be the very first time some of you guys will fully experience a console gen transition.

Successful old consoles get fully supported usually 2-3 years after their successor releases.

But yeah, I remember Frogger for the SNES coming out in 1997. Madden 2004 had a version on the PS1. There are still PS2 games being made.

It's nothing new.

Comandr

The userbase for the 360/PS3 will still be much bigger than next gen in 2015.

Third party devs (EA/Activision) will probably still be making current gen games until 2016 or so.

Cutting support of the current consoles only a year or two after next gen releases is bad business sense.

Much bigger, yes, but shrinking fast.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubis...g-Games-for-PS3-Xbox-360-in-2015-381495.shtml

Just because Ubisoft is the only one that has announced their intentions so far doesn't mean they are the only ones. Many developers are going to be putting a lot of muscle into making their next yearly games as big and pretty as possible, and then the "last gen" editions may go on to different developers and or other teams, they may end up being completely different games. That's how it was for us at Sega anyway, as we moved onto PS360.

I think that cutting support and focusing on the future is good business sense. If you don't actively support the next console, it will fail. I'm looking at you Wii U. No one makes Wii games any more. In fact the only one I know of that has come out this year is Disney Infinity. But the Wii U hasn't even been out for one year yet, and people don't support it, or its predecessor.

So respectfully, I think your argument is moot. Supporting next gen is critical for everyone. Everyone's already made their money off of current gen, anything they make now is just icing on the cake. Time to move on.

Judging by some of these responses, it seems like this will be the very first time some of you guys will fully experience a console gen transition.

Successful old consoles get fully supported usually 2-3 years after their successor releases.

But yeah, I remember Frogger for the SNES coming out in 1997. Madden 2004 had a version on the PS1. There are still PS2 games being made.

It's nothing new.

I think you are still missing the point here. It doesn't matter how many games are being made at the end of the generation, it matters how many are being sold. The very last game to be made on SNES I believe was Kirby's Dream Land 3. It didn't sell hardly at all in the States when it came out in 1997, and it only sold 360,000 in Japan upon its release in March 1998.

How many copies did Frogger sell? I bet that blew everything out of the water. Madden may have done decently on name alone, but the fact of the matter is: Games are VERY expensive to make now, a hell of a lot more expensive than Frogger or Madden PS1 was to make, that's why so many studios closed this generation. Making a current gen game and then sending it out to die in a market that is on life support doesn't make any sense. THAT is bad business.

Mrbob

It's nothing new.

Yeah, consoles are supported long term, but I still find the 360/PS3 stretch goal odd. I'm guessing most of the people who want this game will have moved onto PS4/XB1 by 2015. Seems like a worthless stretch goal to me. I'd rather see the money go towards improving the game.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
From all the chatter on here, I thought once the ps4/xone versions were announced that this would shoot up to 10 million in a matter of hours. PS4/Xbone or bust.

Xenex

Yh, I'd rather just have the stretch goal to be PS4/Xbone/WiiU instead of PS3/360/Wii as well seeing, as I'll definitely be on PS4 by then.

Mrbob

Yh, I'd rather just have the stretch goal to be PS4/Xbone/WiiU instead of PS3/360/Wii as well seeing, as I'll definitely be on PS4 by then.

They got greedy with their stretch goals. There is no way I can be convinced making a PS4/XB1 version would cost so much more money to do so.

Heck, one could easily argue a PS4 version would cost less than PS3 version to develop because the architecture is much easier to use. They already have a PC version approved so using higher level assets isn't a concern.

Fireblend

Banned
The way things are going I'll be surprised if it reaches 3 million. I was kinda hoping for it to do 50k a day during the "low phase", but since it's now doing around 35k it's just not on track to get there. Hopefully I'm wrong!

I really hope this plays more like Mega Man X than old Mega Man games. I want the game to have a fast pace, complete with dashes and wall-jumps.

Top Bottom