• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Bgamer90

Banned
Much bigger, yes, but shrinking fast.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubis...g-Games-for-PS3-Xbox-360-in-2015-381495.shtml

Just because Ubisoft is the only one that has announced their intentions so far doesn't mean they are the only ones. Many developers are going to be putting a lot of muscle into making their next yearly games as big and pretty as possible, and then the "last gen" editions may go on to different developers and or other teams, they may end up being completely different games. That's how it was for us at Sega anyway, as we moved onto PS360.

EA and Activision will more than likely continue on via making minor updates to their current games up until 2016 or so. -- There's just too much potential money to be made to completely ignore current gen. Especially when the PS3 is still getting such awesome support which will further lead into more sales (many are getting a PS3 this year just for Last of Us and/or GT6 alone).

I think that cutting support and focusing on the future is good business sense. If you don't actively support the next console, it will fail.

Many companies usually do both at the same time.

I'm looking at you Wii U. No one makes Wii games any more. In fact the only one I know of that has come out this year is Disney Infinity. But the Wii U hasn't even been out for one year yet, and people don't support it, or its predecessor.

Because the Wii U is doing terrible in sales, has an outdated/low user-count online system, and is under-powered in comparison to the upcoming new consoles.

So respectfully, I think your argument is moot. Supporting next gen is critical for everyone. Everyone's already made their money off of current gen, anything they make now is just icing on the cake. Time to move on.

Heh, again -- you can still do both. Supporting next gen only when next gen consoles sales probably won't match current gen userbases for 5 years+ just doesn't make sense. As I (and others) have said, there's still many that recently got current gen systems.

Higher userbase + low dev cost from a simple sequel that's a basic update from the predecessor = easy money

I think you are still missing the point here. It doesn't matter how many games are being made at the end of the generation, it matters how many are being sold.

???

Eh, of course -- and they are being made because they are selling -- selling to a user base that's larger than the new console userbases (during the respective time). This added with the low cost of the games themselves (since they are usually simple games and/or basic updates) means easy money.

How many copies did Frogger sell? I bet that blew everything out of the water. Madden may have done decently on name alone, but the fact of the matter is: Games are VERY expensive to make now, a hell of a lot more expensive than Frogger or Madden PS1 was to make, that's why so many studios closed this generation. Making a current gen game and then sending it out to die in a market that is on life support doesn't make any sense. THAT is bad business.

You are talking about how games are expensive to make... therefore why wouldn't it make sense to release games for multiple systems?

If some are in trouble now at this late point of a gen when the userbases are high then how do you think that they will do better via only releasing on new consoles that wouldn't even have half of the userbase?

I mean, we aren't talking about a "AAA" game that will get a lot of attention on its nature alone and a lot of advertising. We are talking about a "retro style" game.

The game is going to be cheap in price and therefore people who aren't into having the "latest and greatest" will more than likely be interested in it on top of the countless number of people who aren't going to get a next gen console until 2016 or later.

Yeah, consoles are supported long term, but I still find the 360/PS3 stretch goal odd. I'm guessing most of the people who want this game will have moved onto PS4/XB1 by 2015. Seems like a worthless stretch goal to me. I'd rather see the money go towards improving the game.

The people who really want it shouldn't mind playing on the 360/PS3. I mean, we are talking about a game that will be a throwback to NES/SNES. A decent number who are supporting this game probably still have those "old school" systems hooked up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The way things are going I'll be surprised if it reaches 3 million. I was kinda hoping for it to do 50k a day during the "low phase", but since it's now doing around 35k it's just not on track to get there. Hopefully I'm wrong!

I think it will pick up steam in the final week or so.

So into this game! Here's a GIF to celebrate.

ari_mightyno9_zps14172b3c.gif

longer version here:

https://vimeo.com/74383368
Damn. The fan work is going to set a high bar for these guys!

Some more projections, now that the kickstarter has settled down:

low: $2.7 million
high: $3.5 million

The way things are going I'll be surprised if it reaches 3 million. I was kinda hoping for it to do 50k a day during the "low phase", but since it's now doing around 35k it's just not on track to get there. Hopefully I'm wrong!

I think you're wrong because you're not factoring in the ending push that nearly every gaming crowdfunding campaign seems to get. Even if they bottom out at 35K per day, they'll still be at around 2.6 million with 2 days left and I can easily see that ending bump bringing in at least another 400K. For comparison's sake, the last 2 days of DFA did 550K, and the last 3 days of Wasteland 2 did about 400K. 3.3 might be barely out of reach, but I think it will make 3 million, especially considering that unless this is an atypical gaming Kickstarter, the next couple of days should be the absolute lowest it gets.

They got greedy with their stretch goals. There is no way I can be convinced making a PS4/XB1 version would cost so much more money to do so.

Heck, one could easily argue a PS4 version would cost less than PS3 version to develop because the architecture is much easier to use. They already have a PC version approved so using higher level assets isn't a concern.

It's like no one actually reads anything anymore. The PS4(and Xbone) version costs more than the PS3 (and X360) version because they don't have a PS4 devkit in house, and they don't have anyone that's ever actually programmed for a PS4 on staff. Even if they got Sony to loan them a free devkit, they still need someone to learn the new SDK and port the (probably PC) code, and that will probably take a small staff about a month or two extra on top of the current costs.

Edit: Not even to mention that it's not like all the steps between the two versions cost nothing to make.

I want to contribute, but my issue is an inherent issue with kickstarter. If I fund $20 I'll get the PC version, but will have to buy it again for PS3... I wish there was another way around that.

petran79

Banned
I want to contribute, but my issue is an inherent issue with kickstarter. If I fund $20 I'll get the PC version, but will have to buy it again for PS3... I wish there was another way around that.

if it reaches the PS3 stretch goal you'll have an option to choose the PS3 version instead.

You get to choose

If we reach this goal, we can bring this game to the audience that made the genre what it is in the first place: console gamers! Specifically, we’ll make digital versions for release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii U platforms. (You’ll be given the option to choose any one of these for your digital download of the game, instead of a PC / Mac / Linux version.)

Busaiku

You can choose whichever system it comes out on.
So when it breaks $2.2 million by the end of the week, you can get the PS3 game.

Loxley

Man oh man, this game is going to kick-ass regardless...but if they can meet all of those stretch goals, then holy shit.

I don't have the money to back right now, but it's really cool to see this doing so well. The 360/PS3/Wii U goal is now a shoe-in, though I still think the XB1/PS4 goals seem a bit out of reach.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Unrelated, but AriEX2 I checked out the rest of your linked-to Vimeo and your other animated work is friggin' amazing. I love it! You're so talented.

chrono01

Have you seen Guilty Gear Xrd? I hope that the team aims for 2.5D that looks like that. All of the Banderas gifs will be unleashed if they get close.
Yeah, if 2.5D is a must then I would love something like that. Xrd looks amazing.

Either way, I'm excited for this project [enough to pledge $500 for the sketch]. I'm sure whatever they come up with will be amazing.

Top Bottom