• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra: “PS5 Pro Is A $350 Upgrade for Trade-In Users”

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
iu

Former Blizzard boss says the PS5 Pro is more like a $350 upgrade as it targets existing users who want to trade their base PS5 for the Pro variant.

The business model in this regard is that an existing PS5 owner can trade their console for $350 in places like GameStop. Then, they can pay a further $350 and upgrade to the Pro model, which is easier for most people to stomach.

He said that while this model isn’t for everyone either, it’s the fundamental one that the industry uses. Replying to a comment that stated that the whole scenario still isn’t a good deal, Ybarra said, ‘Good news is no one has to buy it’.

It is only good for people who can afford it and boast that they have the most powerful console in the world. But for the masses out there, the existing PS5 is fine, and they should be happy with it.

Explaining Fran Healy GIF by Travis

BlackTron

To be fair, there is a point to be made here. For an existing PS5 owner, the marginal upgrade cost is 350. This is notable when comparing the costs to a PC upgrading its graphics card, which usually sees people swap a component out and potentially sell the old one. This is a conversation worth having especially in the context of the age-old "PCs cost extra to upgrade, unlike consoles" mudslinging.

ZehDon

To be fair, there is a point to be made here. For an existing PS5 owner, the marginal upgrade cost is 350. This is notable when comparing the costs to a PC upgrading its graphics card, which usually sees people swap a component out and potentially sell the old one. This is a conversation worth having especially in the context of the age-old "PCs cost extra to upgrade, unlike consoles" mudslinging.
To be fair, that's USD$50 less than the PS4 Pro cost brand new, no trade in, at launch. The point to be made here is: Sony's shifting its business model to maximise the profits on its hardware. Things are only going to get more expensive.

fersnake

i used my ps5 since launch like year and a half then sold it, thank god to scalpers cuz i sold it at around 700 bucks, bear in mind that was the total cost i spend to get it on my country.

Killer8

You could say that I was just an extremely early PS5 Pro adopter. In 2020, I actually purchased a PS5 Pro - I was just so ahead of the curve that Sony allowed me to rent their lesser machine for 4 years in preparation.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Former Blizzard boss says the PS5 Pro is more like a $350 upgrade as it targets existing users who want to trade their base PS5 for the Pro variant.

Dude seems to forget this kind of return deal doent exist in plaves without a Gamestop or Target. Peeople in SA and Asia need to but this again.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
You don’t have to though. Those are optional choices and by the looks of online retailers those that are interested have already prepared for that.
True, but for me all of my games are on disk. Will be interesting to see if they force bundles.

Vyse

Gold Member
PS4 to PS4 Pro was $50 to upgrade, so a no-brainer to do it
PS5 Disc to PS5 Pro + Disc is close to $400 to upgrade, so a no-brainer to skip
I usually get the pro consoles and give my base to my kids. In this case, they already have a PS5.

Dude seems to forget this kind of return deal doent exist in plaves without a Gamestop or Target. Peeople in SA and Asia need to but this again.
I'm pretty sure places like mobitraderSA, Games4U, yodobashi camera and many many more video games stores around the globe do trade ins for consoles.

Heck, even EB Games Australia will offer around 600AUD for the Slim (EB level 4 members) and 625 if you're level 5.

The guy might not be likeable, but he's a bit right in this one.

well known shop; quick search..

Complete with box:
  • Base €357.00
  • Slim €386.00
  • Slim Digital €306.00
Slim ROUTE A

799,99 - 386.00 = €413.99*
*Sell all your physical games to reduce the price further

Slim ROUTE B

799,99 - 386.00 + 119.99 = €533.98

Slim Digital

799.99 - 306.00 = €493.99

Dream deal Mike dream deal! 🌈 🦄

Last edited:

GHound

I want John Sony to say something like that when the PS6 price is unveiled.
Follow it up with "We want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

If it were a PS5 to PS6 upgrade, it would make sense.

But paying nearly the same amount for a Pro that you paid for a PS5 does not unless you want to stick to the PS ecosystem for long.

Personally, I - who have been a big fan of PS and owned PS1- PS5 - am having doubts about sticking to it going forward, mainly due to the lack of decent library of exclusive games.

PS2, PS3, and PS4 had 35+ exclusives and almost all of them were stellar.

PS2 exclusive games - IMDb

PS3 exclusive games - IMDb

PS4 exclusive games - IMDb

But what the heck has happened to PS5 exclusives? I can name just 4-5 pure exclusives that are worthy to play on the base or Pro console - Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Spider man 2, and Astro Bot. ????

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

But paying nearly the same amount for a Pro that you paid for a PS5 does not unless you want to stick to the PS ecosystem for long.

Personally, I - who have been a big fan of PS and owned PS1- PS5 - am having doubts about sticking to it going forward, mainly due to the lack of decent library of exclusive games.

But what the heck has happened to PS5 exclusives? I can name just 4-5 pure exclusives that are worthy to play on the base or Pro console - Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Spider man 2, and Astro Bot. ????

The problem in that regard is the lack of announcements. Several of us here have been saying Sony needs to reveal its roadmap for 2025. Should have done that before they ever started talking about new hardware. They are making a tough $700 sell even tougher without an enticing games on the horizon. Supposedly that is supposed to be corrected somewhat this month. About damn time.

But no......for anyone who is unsure if they want to stay in the PS ecosystem.....the PS5 Pro is automatic "no" at this point.

omegasc

you can always use Mercado Livre or Olx to sell it. You just need to dodge the thieves/scamers, and be willing to deal with proposals like "I'll trade you this gamer PC with a GTX980 plus inflatable pool".

BlackTron

I agree with everything you said. I think some people are taking my post as being defensive of Sony or something, it isn't really. I just meant that saying what the marginal cost of upgrading the console is (regardless of what it is) isn't some dumb analysis out of hand when you consider PC, and the inevitable/timeless comparison between the two.

StereoVsn

It doesn't really work that way unless the $350 trade in deals last. right now you have to give up your ps5 for months waiting for the pro to come out?
Yep, basically you have to give up your console right now and hope you can pre-order Pro from GameStop (probably with a bundle).

Shakka43

To be honest if I find a solid trade in option I will go for it. Otherwise I'll keep my amateur* one until a $100+ price drop on the Pro and then gift it* forward.

Top Bottom