• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra: “PS5 Pro Is A $350 Upgrade for Trade-In Users”

I
How dare you!

giphy.webp
giphy.webp
These two are a great exclusive for sure.
Still, great exclusives are much less (<8-9) as compared to the previous gens that most of us were used to (35+).
I don't know whether COVID is to blame for this trend.

I think I will wait 1-2 years to know if Sony PS is really worth sticking to. Otherwise, I will invest in a decent gaming rig and stick to PC gaming (and maybe Nintendo Switch2).

Currently, PS5 reminds me of the 3DO era about three decades ago. The 3DO was I believe the most powerful console of the time (93-94) with great-looking games at that time. But, there were so few good exclusives that it died in the end (1996). Interestingly, it was also priced at US$699.99 at launch.

DeepSpace5D

I agree with him at least for some users. It’s pretty much where I’m at already having two standard PS5s in the house. I have one disc version and one digital, and I’m contemplating trading in the digital one and upgrading to a Pro. Getting ~ $400 at Gamestop doesn’t sound too bad.

But I’m still going to wait until real results in games are shown. If the improvements in performance are worth the extra $300 to me, then I’ll probably upgrade.

NickFire

If the base trade value is still 410 when pro launches it becomes a no brainer for me. 290 plus tax is fine regardless after seeing the IGN comparisons this morning. Day 1.

Wait a minute. I forgot about that disc drive. But still, those graphics were noticeable. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

havoc00

Depending on what happens in the next few months I just might trade in my series and ps5 for a Pro. Dunno

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I find it funny they say the hardcore will trade-in their consoles to upgrade, and that's who it's aim at "the hardcore"
What fucking hardcore gamer sells their consoles?
Those are trophies for display bitch.
You're talking about some casual bitch ass motherfuckers trading in shit for their next fix!

Topher

Gold Member
I’lll stay in the PS ecosystem, on PC.
There is a Playstation publisher sale on Steam now, just bought two more of their PC ports 👍

I'll do that if/when they port to PC day one. Getting Platinum trophy for Ghost of Tsushima on PC (double dipped) was so cool

Last edited:

Raven117

i just… man… there really hasn’t been enough stuff this generation to push the limit of the base model. Unless I see some damn good reasons (and games) the beg to have higher performance….nah.

I’m happy with my ps5

Fess

I'll do that if/when they port to PC day one. Getting Platinum trophy for Ghost of Tsushima on PC (double dipped) was so cool
I use my old PS5 when I can’t wait, like with Astro Bot, but otherwise my PC acts as my PS5 Pro. Annoying to wait on games but I can’t justify paying €800 to play games early knowing I’ll want them on PC anyway when a higher end PC version with all DLC arrives.

Ghost is one of the Steam sale games I bought, played it maybe 20h on PS4. Should be a nice upgrade!

Fbh

If I could trade in my PS5 and get a Pro for $350 I'd do it. Seems like a reasonable price for the upgrade.

Sadly I live in one of the regions that gets completely fucked by Sony pricing and has high sales tax so at launch it's probably going to be more like "trade in your PS5 + $700"
And that's an easy skip

Allandor

How does this work with 800€? Also, it is only a digital edition. So I don't think that even in the us it will just be a $350 upgrade. You than still need to buy the disc drive.

I really don't get this. If you sell your device and by a PS5 pro, Sony Gaines a customer who bought the used PS5. If a company in between gives you "money" for it, they must find a new customer first before they gain some money. It would be much cheaper for Sony just to sell the pro console for a lower price before they start such deals.

OuterLimits

To be fair, there is a point to be made here. For an existing PS5 owner, the marginal upgrade cost is 350. This is notable when comparing the costs to a PC upgrading its graphics card, which usually sees people swap a component out and potentially sell the old one. This is a conversation worth having especially in the context of the age-old "PCs cost extra to upgrade, unlike consoles" mudslinging.

True. However, that cost becomes higher than $350 if the person wants their new premium console to also have a disc drive and vertical stand. With those included you are getting far closer to once again spending the original cost of the base PS5.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Add in a $30 stand and an $80 disc drive too to match. If you put your system flat or are 100% digital then a moot point, but still youre losing value.

As for the trade in value difference, he is right. When yo buy a car or house, your cost isn't the full value. It's the difference between it and selling your current gear (unless you are buying for the first time with no resale product).

But pending the price of the new product, it can look bad and the higher it is. The pricier it is, the higher money you need as the gap gets bigger in pure dollars. And at $700, the gap gets bigger because the trade in values wont go up to compensate the same amount.

If you buy a car for $50,000, your old car might be worth $20,000. You need $30,000 difference. If cars are jacked up to $70,000, your trade in value is not likely to be $40,000 so you need the same $30,000.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Of course I will be trading in my PS5 for the Pro. Why would I keep a base model I will never touch again? He might be wrong about the trade in value in 2024 but he's not wrong about the behaviour of most people wanting to trade and upgrade. That's common sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For any of you Yanks getting offered $350 US by GS for your PS5, consider yourselves lucky.

GS Canada is offering $350 CDN max for a PS5 from their online trade in value tracker. And PS5 Pro will be $960. So excluding any special promotions they might have, the difference is $600. And that doesn't even include anyone wanting a matching disc drive and stand.

LNrFjhp.jpeg

Last edited:

Shakka43

So many people who try to justify the cost means that's it's indeed too high.
It really isn't to be honest. The price on everything has gone up these past few years and we expect consoles and games to stay the same price for some odd reason, hell food which is a more important matter has gone up two or three times higher than it used to be. Things are just that fucked.

SkylineRKR

Ybarra is completely right. Many of us already have a PS5, you're not going to keep it for decoration next to your Pro. You are going to sell it towards the Pro. Unless you give it away or something, but then it saves someone else having to hand over. Most hardcore Playstation gamers aren't going to hand over 699.

In the PC space this is common; after a few years you upgrade your hardware. In the console space this choice is also possible nowadays. I think its not a bad outlook. I did upgrade to the PS4 Pro back then and was happy with it. The PS5 Pro i am not sure about, because I feel less urgency right now. But the option is there should I want it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Damn GameStop giving a nice chunk of change for the PS5 is wild.

I thought they’d give you like $179.

$350? That’s legit good.

Pro for $350 I will do if that deal exists when it actually launches.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So I trade in my ps5 with a disk drive and have to buy a disk drive and stand for this "premium" device.

Words can't describe how much I'm learning to hate the console business. Don't let me down nintendo.

SkylineRKR

People saying 350 used to be the price of a console. I know right? There used to be so many things I paid like half for just a few years ago. Go out and buy a PS5 amateur, it'll set you back 500 as well. If I had no PS5 yet, what to do? A 4 yr old system for 500 or the Pro for 700? For me the choice wouldn't be hard in this case.

The disc drive is the only caveat I have, since you are kind of forced to buy one if you have a Disc edition already.

Filben

Can I keep my disc drive from the OG base PS5? No... So more like 570EUR for that trade-in calculation (920EUR minus maybe 350 for a used PS5 in my country)

These calculations as a general rule are rather meaningless since anyone can do that on their own and varies per region and personal preferences. Personally, a console without a disc drive is out of the question, since the PS5 is my Blu-ray player for movies and series and 80% of my library is on disc, making a disc drive practically mandatory.

Fabieter

It really isn't to be honest. The price on everything has gone up these past few years and we expect consoles and games to stay the same price for some odd reason, hell food which is a more important matter has gone up two or three times higher than it used to be. Things are just that fucked.

Because other companies are greedy too isnt an excuse for Sony to do the same. It would be fine if they would have the stand and the discdrive included tho in that price.

The disc drive for example is 50% more expensive in eu than in the us. Like wtf. Sell this shit for 799 with everything included.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Can I keep my disc drive from the OG base PS5? No... So more like 570EUR for that trade-in calculation (920EUR minus maybe 350 for a used PS5 in my country)

These calculations as a general rule are rather meaningless since anyone can do that on their own and varies per region and personal preferences. Personally, a console without a disc drive is out of the question, since the PS5 is my Blu-ray player for movies and series and 80% of my library is on disc, making a disc drive practically mandatory.

Yes you have to downgrade to digital only. This is the biggest problem. But in theory you can buy the disc drive now, and not in November. A disc version would likely fetch a higer trade in or resell value.

However, especially in Europe this all is going to cost you. US however, I think they got a decent deal. When 4 Pro launched it was 399, but the PS4 returns were only 150-200 ish. I still had to hand over 200+.

RespawnX

well known shop; quick search..

Complete with box:
  • Base €357.00
  • Slim €386.00
  • Slim Digital €306.00
Slim ROUTE A

799,99 - 386.00 = €413.99*
*Sell all your physical games to reduce the price further

Slim ROUTE B

799,99 - 386.00 + 119.99 = €533.98

Slim Digital

799.99 - 306.00 = €493.99

Dream deal Mike dream deal! 🌈 🦄
+100 for disc drive

Thats a RTX 5070.

Base PS5 is fine for me, 3 years until PS6.

Sweet so it sounds like I'm going to get $680 AUD trade in for my launch PS5 according to this guy seeing as the Pro with disc drive is $1360 here in Australia.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

FeralEcho

Oh I see, so you just give them the thing you already paid $499/£449 for and it ain't that bad because you only have to pay $350 for it
Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF
It's natural for CEOs or executives to exhibit retardation syndrome. It's from the abundance of lies they are hardwired to tell everyone.

In other words being a cunt is normal for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom