• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra: “PS5 Pro Is A $350 Upgrade for Trade-In Users”

They’re practically giving it away for free.

Only an extra $80 on top of you want to actually play the physical games you bought or you could trade all of those in as well and it’s like Sony is paying you to upgrade.

SHA

I'll buy 20+ major aaa games and get the s out of these serious games and then maybe I'll consider buying the pro, I'm done with hardware recheck every few years, it's not practical for me to do that and get comfortable beating many games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No one wants me to shut up about this as much as me.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

SHA

Imagine if you also get rid of that Xbox console sitting around collecting dust

I have a Series X in the basement that I couldn't even tell you the last time it was turned on that will get tossed in with my PS5 when Gamestops preorders go live
You sound an exclusive guy, I mainly play 3rd party games, exclusives are just a stepping milestone for the next big thing, imo they aren't real aaa games and never will be.

Last edited:
Talk about ignorant….
How am I wrong?

Vertical stands have been optional since the PS2 and every single console had stood on its side just fine without them. Now if it didn't include the horizontal stand then it would be bullshit. OG PS5 might have included it but it doesn’t require it.

And on the disc drive standpoint...
This is such nonsense. Do you really think longtime PS gamers are going to throw all of their PS4 and PS5 disc games away? We've GOTTA buy the damn disc drive.
Digital has been mandatory since 2013. There are plenty of people that have been digital only for years, and some for over a decade. Outside of Persona games I don't own a single physical games on PS4/5. Same with Xbox and Switch.

Now obviously if you have a big physical library you have to buy it but calling it ignorant, nonsense, or stating it's mandatory to buy the drive is just straight up wrong.

Last edited:
If I could trade in my PS5 and get a Pro for $350 I'd do it. Seems like a reasonable price for the upgrade.

Sadly I live in one of the regions that gets completely fucked by Sony pricing and has high sales tax so at launch it's probably going to be more like "trade in your PS5 + $700"
And that's an easy skip
GameStop Canada is currently offering $350 for the original PS5. Trade-in credit isn't taxed. Despite this benefit, trading in for a PS5 pro would cost a massive $688 after tax. That is almost the cost of the original PS5 console itself ($720 with tax), and that console included the optical drive and vertical stand.

If you want the disc drive, it is $800 total even with trading in your existing PS5. You could instead keep your existing PS5, and buy another PS5 slim with optical drive, and have some money left over. This is lunacy.

Last edited:

Beechos

Whatever the ps5 pro does to games it will not be worth the close to $400 after taxes even with a trade in. Hell 99% of the games out now can prob be done on a reg ps4 if the devs really wanted to.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Just being honest here but a mid gen upgrade thats optional isn't targeting the average consumer

The average consumer is totally happy on their PS5, heck we still have a ton of people playing on the PS4

This thing is for us enthusiasts and whales, Mike is just out of touch with that part
The thing is, developers won't give a fuck.

We saw last gen, PS4 pro launched, and a plethora of games released from that point forward run without issues on PS4 pro, but suffered from frame drops on base PS4.

It's called planned obsolescence: they can't break the console you already own, but they allow for everything released there to perform badly so you are forced to upgrade.

The thing is, developers won't give a fuck.

We saw last gen, PS4 pro launched, and a plethora of games released from that point forward run without issues on PS4 pro, but suffered from frame drops on base PS4.

It's called planned obsolescence: they can't break the console you already own, but they allow for everything released there to perform badly so you are forced to upgrade.

exactly, just like the phone models, make the home screen laggy etc unresponsiveness

Nydius

The only people paying this magical $350 are people (edit: in the US) who have newer slim models and either already have, or don’t need, the vertical stand or disk drive.

I have a pre-Slim disk drive model. Every GameStop trade-in graphic I’ve seen has only shown the values for the newer slim models, so I can only assume earlier models will get less value due to depreciation. On my local Facebook marketplace, earlier PS5 models in good shape are only fetching around $350. Slim models are the only ones selling for $400+.

I have physical games, a disk drive is necessary. It would cost more to convert my physical games into digital ones than it would to buy the drive. I also live in a smaller space where I need to keep the console vertical to reduce the footprint (the stand came with my original PS5).

All told that means I’m up to $810 for the “upgrade”. Now add my state, city, and county sales tax (10.5% combined) and I’m up to $895 total cost. Even if I managed to find someone to pay $400 for my original PS5 (highly unlikely), I’d still have to shell out almost $500.

TL;DR: Ybarra is out of touch with financial reality and should shut his trap.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only people paying this magical $350 are people who have newer slim models and either already have, or don’t need, the vertical stand or disk drive.

I have a pre-Slim disk drive model. Every GameStop trade-in graphic I’ve seen has only shown the values for the newer slim models. On my local Facebook marketplace, earlier PS5 models in good shape are only fetching around $350. Slim models are the only ones selling for $400+.

I have physical games, a disk drive is necessary. It would cost more to convert my physical games into digital ones than it would to buy the drive. I also live in a smaller space where I need to keep the console vertical to reduce the footprint (the stand came with my original PS5).

All told that means I’m up to $810 for the “upgrade”. Now add my state, city, and county sales tax (10.5% combined) and I’m up to $895 total cost. Even if I managed to find someone to pay $400 for my original PS5 (highly unlikely), I’d still have to shell out almost $500.

TL;DR: Ybarra is out of touch with financial reality and should shut his trap.
Be lucky that's your cost.

In Canada, Gamespot is offering a max of $350 and thats the best PS5 system. Slim is $270-300 trade in.

PS5 standard model trade in $350

PS5 Pro = $960 + $100 drive + $40 stand = $1,100. As Shake Your rump said above, it looks like Canadian stores still do that thing where if you trade in gear, you only get taxed on the difference.

So $1,100 - $350 trade in = $750. Add 13% Ontario tax = $847.

So to trade up from PS5 standard model to PS5 Pro with drive and stand, you need to give GS your PS5 and almost $850.

Nydius

Be lucky that's your cost. <snipped for space>
I know, hence my edit to include “in the US”.

My main point is that his $350 claim is based on a very small subset of existing PS5 owners even here in the US where the Pro is cheapest (in terms of currency value). Most of us will have to spend far more than his $350 estimate, especially those of us who bought the PS5 before they released the Slim model refresh.

Last edited:

Id love to be able to read the small letters at the bottom of their policy. I somehow doubt, even in immaculate condition....a 2+ year PS5 with dust inside the vents and used for 100s of hours if not a 1000, that they would pay you back 90% of your original cost years ago lol. The guy that got that deal probably bought the PS5 from them like 10 days ago and saw the ad for the Pro.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I know, hence my edit to include “in the US”.

My main point is that his $350 claim is based on a very small subset of existing PS5 owners even here in the US where the Pro is cheapest (in terms of currency value). Most of us will have to spend far more than his $350 estimate, especially those of us who bought the PS5 before they released the Slim model refresh.

In my country it will be, with the disc reader and taxes, over $1100. As I can borrow plenty of free games from my library I'd want to have the reader.

So no, I hardly think I'll be getting it and it makes more sense to save my cash for the PS6.

PJX

You literally don’t have to buy either of those….

These comments are so stupid. Digital exists, and the console stands up just fine without the stand.
You literally do have to buy a disc if your collection is physical. Is good Papa Sony going to give me digital versions of all my games that I own for free?

PeteBull

If it were a PS5 to PS6 upgrade, it would make sense.

But paying nearly the same amount for a Pro that you paid for a PS5 does not unless you want to stick to the PS ecosystem for long.

Personally, I - who have been a big fan of PS and owned PS1- PS5 - am having doubts about sticking to it going forward, mainly due to the lack of decent library of exclusive games.

PS2, PS3, and PS4 had 35+ exclusives and almost all of them were stellar.

PS2 exclusive games - IMDb

PS3 exclusive games - IMDb

PS4 exclusive games - IMDb

But what the heck has happened to PS5 exclusives? I can name just 4-5 pure exclusives that are worthy to play on the base or Pro console - Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Spider man 2, and Astro Bot. ????
stellar blade devs already mentioned pc port inc in near future, but add to the current true exclusives ff7rebirth

Calverz

How am I wrong?

Vertical stands have been optional since the PS2 and every single console had stood on its side just fine without them. Now if it didn't include the horizontal stand then it would be bullshit. OG PS5 might have included it but it doesn’t require it.

And on the disc drive standpoint...

Digital has been mandatory since 2013. There are plenty of people that have been digital only for years, and some for over a decade. Outside of Persona games I don't own a single physical games on PS4/5. Same with Xbox and Switch.

Now obviously if you have a big physical library you have to buy it but calling it ignorant, nonsense, or stating it's mandatory to buy the drive is just straight up wrong.
Ignorant again. Just because you don’t need a disk drive, doesn’t mean your own feelings on the seperate disk drive applies to everyone else.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Actually, all this bs got me wondering: does the pro require a new disc reader, or is the old one still compatible? If so, it would be easier to remove the disc reader, trade in the digital only PS5, and install the disc reader on the pro.

How does this work with 800€? Also, it is only a digital edition. So I don't think that even in the us it will just be a $350 upgrade. You than still need to buy the disc drive.

I really don't get this. If you sell your device and by a PS5 pro, Sony Gaines a customer who bought the used PS5. If a company in between gives you "money" for it, they must find a new customer first before they gain some money. It would be much cheaper for Sony just to sell the pro console for a lower price before they start such deals.
My local electronics store will give me €490 for my PS5, controller and 1TB extra M.2 Storage. That's a €310 remainder left for the Pro. Worth while upgrade to me. I have never put a disc in my PS5 in 4 years, so that cost is irrelevant to me.

Vr46

My local electronics store will give me €490 for my PS5, controller and 1TB extra M.2 Storage. That's a €310 remainder left for the Pro. Worth while upgrade to me. I have never put a disc in my PS5 in 4 years, so that cost is irrelevant to me.
what local electronics store?

in italy we pay ps5 pro 950€ with disk and stand

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Nobody is giving you £350/$ for a used PS5 when you can get one new for £429 and I've seen them regularly for £399 over here.

Hell mine is 4 years old I wouldn't expect more than £200 for it, it's been used every day for hours on end.

Edit: I've just used the trade on tool for one of the UK's biggest stores (CEX) and they'll offer £237 for a Boxed, Disk edition PS5.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

They might could... Won't be a succes...
It already is. You’re still counting sales of boxes instead of realizing Xbox is everywhere. They have a larger I stall base then on PC alone. MS isn’t trying to sell more boxes, they are selling boxes, windows, games and subscription services . Xbox isn’t just a “console”, it’s a brand.

You literally do have to buy a disc if your collection is physical. Is good Papa Sony going to give me digital versions of all my games that I own for free?
Ignorant again. Just because you don’t need a disk drive, doesn’t mean your own feelings on the seperate disk drive applies to everyone else.
Since people obviously can’t fucking read to save their lives. Let’s start from the beginning.

A vague comment stating you HAVE to buy the disc drive and vertical stand without any other information added.

Not true. If the poster had said “if you have a physical library then you have to buy the drive” then it would be true.

Digital amounts for a high percentage of sales now so obviously quite a few people are buying digital over physical and do t have a need for the disc drive.

It’s “ignorant” to assume that a viewpoint that differs from yours is false because it’s different from yours.

Maybe it doesn’t fit your agenda, but to act like the PS5 Pro is not usable without a disc drive is fucking braindead.

I never said that nobody had use for a disc drive I said that it’s not mandatory to use/buy a PS5 or PS5 Pro.

I’m sure this will fall on ignorant ears though so I’m not gonna bother replying again.

I get this is a message board. But still seeing price complaints are funny to me. Then don't buy it. From the people racing out to get a disc drive there's clearly people going to buy it. They clearly don't mind. Want better graphics complain about development time of said games. Wanted better gfx and 60fps complain about buying optional hardware like you would for any other product. Lmao.

DavJay

Such a bad take in every way. He might as well say it’s for hardcore fans so that must could trade in their ps4 and ps5 and pay the difference of $200 dollars. Maybe free if they trade off all of their gaming possessions.

PJX

Since people obviously can’t fucking read to save their lives. Let’s start from the beginning.

A vague comment stating you HAVE to buy the disc drive and vertical stand without any other information added.

Not true. If the poster had said “if you have a physical library then you have to buy the drive” then it would be true.

Digital amounts for a high percentage of sales now so obviously quite a few people are buying digital over physical and do t have a need for the disc drive.

It’s “ignorant” to assume that a viewpoint that differs from yours is false because it’s different from yours.

Maybe it doesn’t fit your agenda, but to act like the PS5 Pro is not usable without a disc drive is fucking braindead.

I never said that nobody had use for a disc drive I said that it’s not mandatory to use/buy a PS5 or PS5 Pro.

I’m sure this will fall on ignorant ears though so I’m not gonna bother replying again.
Well maybe next time you should fucking explain yourself the first time around.

Well maybe next time you should fucking explain yourself the first time around.
I didn’t need to fucking explain myself you daft cunt. I never once said anything that wasn’t fucking true.

I only had to “explain myself” because people were too dumb and kept saying something that was objectively true to be false.

Last edited:

PJX

I didn’t need to fucking explain myself you daft cunt. I never once said anything that wasn’t fucking true.

I only had to “explain myself” because people were too dumb and kept saying something that was objectively true to be false.
Go outside and take a breather, mate. You are crying for no reason. Next time learn to lexplain yourself better, or continue to cry like a little child, whatever makes you feel better.

Justin9mm

Plus you have to buy the disc drive and stand.
I know this sounds very trivial but technically you don't have to buy the stand as it's obviously for sitting the console vertically. I know more people with it placed horizontally then vertically. Something we weren't even doing until this generation, attributing to console size, but the real estate on this is smaller than OG PS5. It's obviously no longer an added necessary feature. I'm not defending Sony but realistically Sony decided that if hypothetically only 50% of people wanted to sit the console vertically, then why provide for 100% of consumers. The console is still made to sit horizontally and guess what, it comes with horizontal feet.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I get this is a message board. But still seeing price complaints are funny to me. Then don't buy it. From the people racing out to get a disc drive there's clearly people going to buy it. They clearly don't mind. Want better graphics complain about development time of said games. Wanted better gfx and 60fps complain about buying optional hardware like you would for any other product. Lmao.
Well I'm buying it day 1 so I have right to complain about what I paid! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

To be honest though, there are hardcore console gamers that want the best experience. Historically in a console lifecycle, games got better as the console aged. Last gen was the first gen we saw a refresh for 4K TV's, but this gen, it feels like game performance has been getting worse and the OG PS5 just can't cut it. Which to me is absolute bullshit. I think the problem is the gaming industry and lazy devs that haven't been able to optimise whether it be lack of ability or labour costs etc. You have to wonder if after 4 years of a very slow lifecycle, we all of a sudden need a more powerful console, is it optimisation issues or was the PS5 console underpowered to begin with?

Topher

Gold Member
I know this sounds very trivial but technically you don't have to buy the stand as it's obviously for sitting the console vertically. I know more people with it placed horizontally then vertically. Something we weren't even doing until this generation, attributing to console size, but the real estate on this is smaller than OG PS5. It's obviously no longer an added necessary feature. I'm not defending Sony but realistically Sony decided that if hypothetically only 50% of people wanted to sit the console vertically, then why provide for 100% of consumers. The console is still made to sit horizontally and guess what, it comes with horizontal feet.

Yep. My PS5 slim stand vertical without a stand and I see no reason to spend $30 for one. Yeah.....at $699 they should have put in the box, but it is by no means required to have the stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom