• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firehead said:
Trees. From those trees, you make planks [spoilers]you craft by pressing 'i' to open your inventory and dragging items to the top[/spoilers], planks make a work bench; work benches make items that require more-than 2x2 slots.

Also, build a base!

so i just beat on the tree? What the hell am I missing?

Firehead said:
There is a bit of ambient music, but I believe it's only in the caves now. And they're playing "MineCraft Classic Multiplayer". It's on the main site to play.

So no punch noises as I pulverize a tree with my fist? lame, haha.

Firehead

RadicalRad said:
So no punch noises as I pulverize a tree with my fist? lame, haha.
Wait, what? Yeah, there are sound effects for whacking on things, as well as those damned pigs and sheep..
You're getting absolutely no sound from the game?
Edit: I can't read. Lovely.

Yeah, how are you playing the game? The executable or in-browser? Might be a problem with java, try updating it? Not a clue. :|

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Razorskin said:
Let's wait for the multiplayer in alpha.

I agree. Classic just seems so simple and dull in comparison. I can't go back.

Besides, building something amazing is so much more impressive and rewarding in alpha since you have to gather all your materials yourself, plus the machines you can make using circuits and switches are far beyond what is possible in classic.

RadicalRad said:
Okay I caved (haha, get it?) and went ahead and got it. Is there supposed to be any sound/music? When I punch things I hear nothing, neither is there any type of music.

I'm not sure about your sound problem (assuming it's a problem) but there is definitely sound effects in the game. Alpha currently lacks music for some reason though.

If you're having difficulty crafting tools, check here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting#Crafting

Firehead said:
Wait, what? Yeah, there are sound effects for whacking on things, as well as those damned pigs and sheep..
You're getting absolutely no sound from the game?
Edit: I can't read. Lovely.

Meh, a quick reboot of the game fixed the issue now i can hear myself bludgeoning tree trunks with my fist, yay!

Just bought, I have no idea what I'm doing. Whacked trees for awhile, it got dark, something killed me. Looks like I need to look at the Wiki! :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Is there a way to email suggestions to the guy? Im thinking there should be a way to pump water out of a flooded mine. Would be a cool thing to construct. Would be a high level item of course!

thebigkahuna said:
Just bought, I have no idea what I'm doing. Whacked trees for awhile, it got dark, something killed me. Looks like I need to look at the Wiki! :lol

ugh i am hopelessly lost. If you figure out how to get wood to build a wooden pickaxe let me know.

EDIT: Figured it out. You have to hold down the mouse button. I was just clicking the button.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Blizzard said:
Weird, they just added new music and sound effects for caves I thought. I guess the next version will fix it.

Music is contextual. If you go out exploring caves, music will kick in and get progressively creepier the further into the cave you go.

Max

I am not Max
Metalic Sand said:
Is there a way to email suggestions to the guy? Im thinking there should be a way to pump water out of a flooded mine. Would be a cool thing to construct. Would be a high level item of course!
There's a suggestions section on the official forums, which Notch reads

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TheExecutive said:
ugh i am hopelessly lost. If you figure out how to get wood to build a wooden pickaxe let me know.

Punch a tree truck, and wood will pop out of it. Convert the raw wood to planks by opening your inventory "i" and putting the raw wood into the crafting area.

Once you make planks, fill all four slots in the crafting interface with wood planks. This will make a crafting bench. Put this into one of your quickslots, then equip it and drop it on the ground.

Then right click the crafting bench that you dropped, and you'll get a 3x3 crafting grid. Refer to this page for all the stuff you can now make:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Pickaxes can be made from a variety of raw materials. Here's the arrangement :

Craftingpickaxeanim.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Blizzard said:
Weird, they just added new music and sound effects for caves I thought. I guess the next version will fix it.

Yeah, there are ambient sound effects, but no actual music. The classic browser version still has it though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Remember that Pixel Art thread on GAF, where we made a city with GAF memes?
We should mirror that, but in Minecraft. That would be awesome.

taoofjord

Thank you for making a thread for Minecraft!! I've been dying to share the greatness that is what I consider the most interesting game currently in development. It's so beyond amazing. I'll just post what I said a couple weeks ago when I was begging someone to make a thread about this game (since I'm a junior member):

A true sandbox exploration game. Build whatever you want with the blocks given to you in a procedurally generated world. Great looking 3D pixel art. Build a huge tower and defend it from the monsters that spawn at night. Or dig deep and find diamonds and gold to craft and smelt better tools, weapons, and armor. Endlessly replayable. The game gets more and more complex every week (with each update). The "creative" mode is free to play in single player and multiplayer but the real meat of the game (survival mode) requires you pre-order the game ($13). Survival mode is amazing! AND! Multiplayer survival mode will be implented in the next few weeks!

I just started and didn't know what I was doing but after surviving my first night time by climbing up a tall tree and waiting until the sun came up I decided I needed a hide out. So I beat up some dirt tiles and made a dirt fort! Huzzah!

Edit: Awful grammar and run on sentence ftw?

_Bro

Banned
drizzle said:
Why mirror it when we could make it better?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
RadicalRad said:
I just started and didn't know what I was doing but after surviving my first night time by climbing up a tall tree and waiting until the sun came up I decided I needed a hide out. So I beat up some dirt tiles and made a dirt fort! Huzzah!

Edit: Awful grammar and run on sentence ftw?

Actually that gives me an awesome idea. I'm going to plant a huge multilayered forest and built a fort in the canopy. :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
drizzle said:

That would be amazing and completely do-able.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just bought the game, i'm traveling around some servers of the classic mode (no griefing) and i'm amazed. I tried the single player, but i just ran around beating pigs. I know i'm missing something here, but i'll try to dive into it later tomorrow.

Today, i'm just happy i'm running around a nice server.. :D

Firehead

Journey so far:
Built an igloo -
RD4BZ.jpg

Found a small cave outside of my igloo -
GyYlC.jpg

Found this after digging further into the cave -
IbnjO.jpg

Even deeper -
yrExp.jpg

And deeper -
NCzD3.jpg

And then I fell into that pool of lava and died. ): My journey begins anew!

Dragnet

Wow I just can't stop playing...decided to renovate my base, went out and collected a fuck ton of wood in the day, then at night I went back and retiled my interior, now I have sweet wood floors/walls/ceilings! During the renovation I hit some coal and decided to dig deeper..ended up finding tons more coal, so I dug out that area into a big room, then decided I needed to explore more inside, so from my new room I created 3 doorways, one will go further into the...whatever, one will go deeper and the other goes back up to the top, which I just finished. Great feeling finally reaching the top, I came out almost right at the peak of a mountain! Going to turn my new exit into a guard tower tomorrow, so in the meantime I've blocked the hole up with whatever I have, stuck the basics that I need slightly below surface level (Large Container, Workbench, Furnace and Torches), retiled the area to be wood (I love wood) and made myself comfy for the night. I love this game!!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
HappyBivouac said:
THIS GAME
IS SO GOOD

WHY ISN'T ALL OF GAF BUYING THIS GAME HOLY COW

I told you. I told all of you. I'm glad some people decided to listen.

I had to rez this thread twice for it to take off. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Uhh so i built my first cave house, it's night totally dark... how do i light my furnace? Or is torch the only light source and furnace just for smelting?

edit: oh crap there's tons of things outside the door... hell if i know where that is... it's so dark.

Aaron

I was building a long staircase going down and down, placing torches at regular intervals to light the way, until I broke into a series of caverns so vast I got lost in exploring and couldn't find my way back. Died a second time to some pesky enemies, respawned at night, and had to run like hell back to my house and shut the door before the zombies got me. Now I've used a ladder to make a high escape route from my place when zombies come a knocking. I built it on a hill and put a torch on top to light my way home. Next step is to make a basement.

Firehead said:
Journey so far:
Built an igloo -
RD4BZ.jpg

Found a small cave outside of my igloo -
GyYlC.jpg

Found this after digging further into the cave -
IbnjO.jpg

Even deeper -
yrExp.jpg

And deeper -
NCzD3.jpg

And then I fell into that pool of lava and died. ): My journey begins anew!

How did you get the game to look like this?

Oh and I fricking love this game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ferrio said:
Uhh so i built my first cave house, it's night totally dark... how do i light my furnace? Or is torch the only light source and furnace just for smelting?

Coal is the best thing to use in a furnace because it burns for a long time, but wood blocks will do in a pinch. To make torches build a stone pickaxe and look for coal deposits. Stick a piece of coal on a stick and there you go. Make a bunch and put them all over your house to ward off bad things.

edit: oh crap there's tons of things outside the door... hell if i know where that is... it's so dark.

:lol

Max

I am not Max
Large castle in progress :lol

interior, working on the second floor
ji13jd.png

upper floor so far
2w5r4g5.png

exterior :lol
9t2888.png

gaf...

Max

I am not Max
drizzle said:
waaaait... you die and that's it? Restart from beginning?

oh no.. :(
You can go to where you died to find all the stuff you were holding, and everything in your world remains

luka

Loves Robotech S1
drizzle said:
waaaait... you die and that's it? Restart from beginning?

oh no.. :(

No. You drop whatever you had on you, but your world persists. Thats why storage chests are important. It's just a matter of figuring out where you spawn and finding your way back. It's a good idea to build waypoints or visual landmarks. You can also use the movement of clouds to determine which way is north.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Max said:
You can go to where you died to find all the stuff you were holding, and everything in your world remains

luka said:
No. You drop whatever you had on you, but your world persists. Thats why storage chests are important. It's just a matter of figuring out where you spawn and finding your way back. It's a good idea to build waypoints or visual landmarks. You can also use the movement of clouds to determine which way is north.

That's both a good thing and a bummer. I have no idea where the place i was at is. Damn, i even found coal and everything...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Max said:
Don't worry coal isn't what you should be worrying about

Wait till you lose diamonds ;-;
Well, sure. But that just makes me want to make my house near the spawn area. Which sucks, because there's no way in hell that there's good things near where i am.. :D EXCEPT FUCKING MONSTERS!

This game really has potential. I'm glad i bought it.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, so I think i'm a dwarf... cause I've carved out a house in the side of the mountain and now I've just been making staircases deep deep down trying to find ore (only found like 10 iron ore).

Also how are people building these huge houses? How do you place blocks so high?

Fenror

Neo Member
Ferrio said:
Okay, so I think i'm a dwarf... cause I've carved out a house in the side of the mountain and now I've just been making staircases deep deep down trying to find ore (only found like 10 iron ore).

Also how are people building these huge houses? How do you place blocks so high?
Jump and place it underneath yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom