• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

I went ahead and pledged $30 to the 2PP Documentary on Minecraft, hope it reaches it's hefty goal so I get a DVD of the finished film next year. :D

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
http://notch.tumblr.com/

Minecraft Beta 1.3

* Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)
* Changed the options around, added a new “Graphics options” button
* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning
* Added three new half-size blocks
* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks
* Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter “whitelist <cmd>” where cmd is “on”, “off”, “add <player>”, “remove <player>”, “list” or “reload”
* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)
* It’s now possible to have more than five save slots, and to rename saves
* Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen
* Replaced the Mojang splash image to reflect the new logo colors
* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!

S.W.

- Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning

Buuuwwhaaaaaaaaatt?
I was 90% convinced that the bed is the new spawn point....

Rapstah

Haha, if you create a new world, you spawn with a diamond pick, a diamond shovel, a diamond axe, 64 torches and 64 beds. Someone forgot to turn off dev mode!

JackEtc

Rapstah said:
Haha, if you create a new world, you spawn with a diamond pick, a diamond shovel, a diamond axe, 64 torches and 64 beds. Someone forgot to turn off dev mode!

*Creates new world*

What? I'm legit.....

WedgeX

Banned
S.W. said:
- Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning

Buuuwwhaaaaaaaaatt?
I was 90% convinced that the bed is the new spawn point....

Rumored for the patch after this.

Rapstah

Okay, you can use beds anywhere as soon as the sun has set beyond the horizon and mobs can spawn. There's a nice camera view along the bed as your character falls asleep.

If you try to sleep in an unlit area, mobs will wake you.

EDIT: I tested it out, seems as though if the bed is unlit, a zombie or skeleton will spawn near you at some point during the night, might actually be instantly. You will wake upon taking any damage.

I haven't played Minecraft since Halloween, but as soon as beds are spawns I'm back in. My favorite part of the game is the exploration and this will make that a thousand times easier.

Rapstah

pirata said:
What does "seed for the world generator" mean?
Computers can't generate random numbers, they always need to start with a given one and you can generally generate as many seemingly random numbers as you wish from that one. This allows you to choose that random number the game starts with - this might mean the game generates the same map for everyone that enters a certain number.

Let's try, create a new map with seed 1 and take a screenshot of what you spawn looking at!

EDIT: Patch out, fixed you spawning with free stuff. Here's a screenshot of my seed one:

seed1i7tt.png

IceMarker

Rapstah said:
Computers can't generate random numbers, they always need to start with a given one and you can generally generate as many seemingly random numbers as you wish from that one. This allows you to choose that random number the game starts with - this might mean the game generates the same map for everyone that enters a certain number.

Let's try, create a new map with seed 1 and take a screenshot of what you spawn looking at!

EDIT: Patch out, fixed you spawning with free stuff. Here's a screenshot of my seed one:

http://www.abload.de/img/seed1i7tt.png
You and I came damn close.

SuIhj.png

Rapstah

Well that's odd, I didn't have any land in view at all. I guess you could force your computer to generate the same world over and over for you with the system.

EDIT: What the hell is this? Why did I get the odd one out?

EDIT 2: Tried again, got another one with no similarities to my first one and I spawned far from the beach so I doubt it's the one you're getting too.

EDIT 3: Third try wasn't the charm either, completely new map. :lol

upandaway

Rapstah said:
Well that's odd, I didn't have any land in view at all. I guess you could force your computer to generate the same world over and over for you with the system.

EDIT: What the hell is this? Why did I get the odd one out?
It probably pulls from other sources besides your number like the time and place and stuff.

TeegsD

Alright, so I haven't touched the game since right before it went into beta. But I had found an inventory editor so i haven't played it seriously for a few months. I've been getting the urge to play it again and just found some time before class. My problem is that I can't get the damn thing to start up at all. I'll click on the launcher and my mouse will show the loading symbol for about a half second and then nothing happens. I have deleted appdata, deleted all launchers, downloaded a launcher from both links on the site and still nothing. Anyone else know of this happening before and know of a way to fix it?

Using the seed crates you all the same world, you just have different spawn points, if you all go to the same place (using F3 coordinates) you'll see the same stuff

thespot84

Liquid Helium said:
Using the seed crates you all the same world, you just have different spawn points, if you all go to the same place (using F3 coordinates) you'll see the same stuff

Don't f3 coordinates take you back to spawn? (different in each case)

Flim Flam

Neo Member
oh wow, another new update -- the function keys are toggle now. You no longer have to hold down F1 to get that perfect snapshot or F3 to map coordinates. Thats a nice touch!

Flim Flam

Neo Member
anyone able to get Zan's minimap working since updating? I even tried re-packaging the files into the jar but have had no luck.

Hopefull they release a new version of the minmap soon, im lost without it!

webrunner said:
Wasn't really 'rumored'..

It was said outright that this patch beds timeskip, later this month beds are spawns.

Yeah I found out about the bed while reading the Wiki last week ... the day after I completed my 900 metre tunnel from my spawn point to my fucking base.

Blizzard

Banned
greenhadoken said:
Just updated my game, my entire world immediately set fire, I lost everything. Guess I shouldn't have made my town out of wood
Had you not updated in a long time? I'm assuming that you got hit by the issue where lava sets wood on fire, but that came a while back. :(

Forkball

I don't get how the new Mods and Texture Pack option is supposed to work. I put some texture files into the folder the button directs me too, but they don't show up in the menu up top where it says "Default." Do I have to do it the old way still or am I missing something?

Firebrand

Forkball said:
I don't get how the new Mods and Texture Pack option is supposed to work. I put some texture files into the folder the button directs me too, but they don't show up in the menu up top where it says "Default." Do I have to do it the old way still or am I missing something?

Put the zip file in the texturepacks folder without decompressing it.

Vlad

Forkball said:

You can't use all the texture packs on it, though. Only 16x16 packs will work. You'll still need to use a patcher for anything larger.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow the update is pretty substantial for me. I'm not a crazy Minecraft player, but I do have some slight addictions to it here and there that come in phases. Anyway the new lighting looks great!

I haven't really been keeping up on the update news, so I had no idea that the infinite burning wood block would no longer work. There are about 16 fires I have to start some other way around my base now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom