• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

789shadow

Banned
oh, just skeletons and zombies, and creepers will spawn on them, even with lights on the floor of the tree-farm. i think, who knows if that's changed by now, was a while ago. but i remember that happening to me. (although less of a problem with creepers destroying blocks off)

i suppose a half-slab would have the same effect.
I think just putting torches in between each tree would keep it well lit enough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i believe that if you put a floating block directly above the tree spot at the height you want, no trees should get any taller than that block. pretty sure that still works.

oh and make sure to put a torch on top of the block.

make sure you are using the most updated version. the one i use never has any problems. (well.... until 1.5 ;P)
best way to know if you are using an old version, the torches will be really dim.

SEUS V10
GLSL

Hmm, I'm using 1.4.6 and shaders RC7 but torches are dark..

odd, im using V10 RC6.

wrong GLSL perhaps?

all i know is the first version i tried turned out to be old, the torches and lights were dim and it was glitchy. i installed those 2 in the links and the problems were fixed.

example of lights that look right on mine.

i1NC3564fghHL.png

elyetis

I find RC6 better than RC7, mostly because of the fake HDR and some bad result with the Water specular highlights.

You can increase torch light in the composite.fsh, search for the #define TORCHLIGHT_POWER line and change the value ( i went to 0.9f ), thought i didn't try with the fake HDR still enabled ( disabled it by putting // before #define TONEMAP2 in final.fsh a removing // from #define TONEMAP )

Sarcasm

I haven't noticed the light issue with seus shader light wise but will fix.

rain sucks in it I had to use weather from a different shader pack.

I will change the light too.

fritolay

I would like to buy a very cheap laptop for internet stuff, etc. However I would also like to play minecraft on it. Will any low end laptop work or what hardware is recommended now?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would like to buy a very cheap laptop for internet stuff, etc. However I would also like to play minecraft on it. Will any low end laptop work or what hardware is recommended now?

Seems like the HD4000 is good enough, so any ivy bridge laptop should be fine.

If you aren't in a rush, haswell should be out soon which has a significant bump in performance for the integrated graphics on laptops

Seanspeed

Banned
Looking for help with the underground tree farm I'm going to build. What are the best ways to avoid super oak trees, and should I keep all the trees at the same height?
Somebody already explained the block height thing, which I didn't know about until somebody mentioned it here a little while back. But it inspired me to make my own tree farm. Didn't do it underground as I had an idea to make an above ground one I could access quickly and easily, not have to ever 'jump' to get the top pieces of wood, could get the light it needed without a ton of torches, and would also look nice.

I originally built it out of pine without realizing that it meant the leaves wouldn't go away after harvesting the wood! D'oh!

utK5YiK.jpg

defel

Somebody already explained the block height thing, which I didn't know about until somebody mentioned it here a little while back. But it inspired me to make my own tree farm. Didn't do it underground as I had an idea to make an above ground one I could access quickly and easily, not have to ever 'jump' to get the top pieces of wood, could get the light it needed without a ton of torches, and would also look nice.

I originally built it out of pine without realizing that it meant the leaves wouldn't go away after harvesting the wood! D'oh!

Ive been playing around with one offline and in creative and Ive been using blocks 6 meters above to prevent the super trees and water streams on ice below to collect the saplings and then hoppers scooping those up into a chest. I did try to replicate the old tree farm machine I have on the GAF server but that doesnt work anymore - they've changed something with the bonemealing mechanics on trees to the point where it doesnt really work, especially when trees are spaced 1-2 blocks apart.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ive been playing around with one offline and in creative and Ive been using blocks 6 meters above to prevent the super trees and water streams on ice below to collect the saplings and then hoppers scooping those up into a chest. I did try to replicate the old tree farm machine I have on the GAF server but that doesnt work anymore - they've changed something with the bonemealing mechanics on trees to the point where it doesnt really work, especially when trees are spaced 1-2 blocks apart.
Its annoying when they change certain mechanics. Its why I've stayed away from building much 'automated' stuff, because I dont want to spend a whole bunch of time on it and then have it be a waste of time after they update the game.

What do you mean by 'water stream on ice', by the way? Some trick I haven't heard about, I'm guessing...

defel

What do you mean by 'water stream on ice', by the way? Some trick I haven't heard about, I'm guessing...

You can horizontally transport dropped items by using water streams on top of ice blocks. Just place a water source, then after 8 blocks place a sign and place the next water source block - all on top of ice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are minecraft worlds portable? I.e can I take a save game from my Mac mini and copy it to a windows PC? Want to play around with some rendering and also a fraps recording, but I'd prefer to do that on my desktop.

-Minsc-

Are minecraft worlds portable? I.e can I take a save game from my Mac mini and copy it to a windows PC? Want to play around with some rendering and also a fraps recording, but I'd prefer to do that on my desktop.

Yeah, just copy the world file from your Minecraft saves folder.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another brilliant idea is to use DropBox or Google Drive and place worlds in there then use a symlink on both OS' to point to your DropBox. Your world will always be accessible without needing to copy. (Just don't open it on both machines at once.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
spent a lot of time yesterday playing with blender and mineways, to get renders of my son's castle for a school project. Quite a learning curve but its lots of fun.

fritolay

utK5YiK.jpg

I don't understand the point of a tree farm. Can you just go out in a field and plant a bunch of trees?

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't understand the point of a tree farm. Can you just go out in a field and plant a bunch of trees?
Those big ass ones that sprout are a pain in the ass to harvest.

I can control the trunk height, too. No hopping up to get those last one or two pieces of wood.

Just planting them anywhere is what I used to do, but this is quicker, less tedious, and was just something fun to come up with.

fritolay

Sounds good I will try a tree farm.

Can anyone tell me or post pics of the best animal farm(s). Bought my son sub-500 laptop that actually runs great. Setup a server on older PC.

Both of us now one 1 Minecraft 360 license, 2 android, and 2 PC licenses. I had heard but was never interested until the XBOX version came out. Then I realized it was a good fun lego type game with controls and made my son think. I prefer this over dumbed down bang shot games all the time.

So I think I may not be alone and the XBOX version not only sold well, but also led people to other platforms.

Seanspeed

Banned
So I think I may not be alone and the XBOX version not only sold well, but also led people to other platforms.
Yea, I only played it because it came out on XBLA and now that I'm moving and having to give up my 360, I'll be getting the PC version once I get myself a decent laptop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tried out a 3D stereoscopic wrapper today. Works surprisingly well - I'm using it to output side by side 3D for my 3DTV. The only main issue is that the mouse pointer doesn't point to the right place, so inventory management is a bit tricky.

Just started a new world to play with it, and will try spelunking in a while.

789shadow

Banned
Already got caught today by a joke. Paulsoaresjr and the rest of Mindcrack got me with their "Minecraft 2.0" vid, featuring tinted glass and blue chickens that lay lapis..............wait.

OK, so there's a few options, Sarcasm.

Easiest one, that doesn't require swapping .jars, is to use MultiMC (http://forkk.net/MultiMC4/) and create an instance that is loaded with version 1.4.7 as the version you'll use.

(BTW, they just issued an "update" for April Fools that replaces the text with Comic Sans. So don't worry, it's a one-day deal, I'm pretty sure.)

To create an instance, you want the button in the top left corner. Click on it, name your instance and then click "Change Version" and select 1.4.7 from the scroll menu. Save it, load it, enter your log in info, and you should be good to go!

I use MultiMC for snapshot testing and more. Super useful program. :)

If that doesn't work, then we can move to .jar swapping, but that's a little more complicated. MultiMC essentially does the same thing without the extra steps.

Top Bottom