• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there an easy way to install 1.4.7? Just got a new computer and need to install minecraft, but I don't want 1.5 yet because my server isn't updated.

Sorry if this is OT but I just got an e.mail about the Minecraft documentary, and a working link to download it even though I never bought it.. all I did was sign up to be notified when it released. Anyone else get this mail, did the movie go free or something?

e. Confirmed:
Sorry about this! We had a slight mixup of our lists. Unfortunately, we had to revoke access of those who did not pay. I hope you understand and thanks for pointing it out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That video is awesome. Some really cool stuff I am definitely going to build in my vanilla world.

No one else on OS X here plays FTB? I'm really sad I can't play with my brother anymore. It won't work on either my Air or my Mini. (His Air hasn't had any problems yet somehow.)

789shadow

Banned
Something weird just happened with my map. I enhanced the range twice, and the second time, it turned into map #1 from #0 and a large circular area won't fill in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ay tips for recording a playthrough in minecraft? My son is building a castle for a school project and he'd like to put a little walkthrough together. Probably using two people, one as the point of view for the camera, and then him walking around in the world and talking over it.

Just decided to make my first post in here after lurking a bit, hi people. These days with Minecraft I play a modpack I put together myself that's based off FTB Ultimate though with the removal of the Voxel stuff and ForgeIRC, Rei's Minimap back in, Universal Electricity and all its mods except ICBM, a few random extra mods.

I have been completely and utterly addicted to modded Minecraft for the past month or two and it's like, wow, I haven't gotten this addicted to a game before in my life. I admin two small Minecraft servers for a community I'm in (a vanilla Bukkit one and the Forge server running that modpack I made) and it's the modded one I spend all my time in lately. If I wasn't at work I'd take some pictures of the new house I built last night and am still working on setting up. And all while I have new ideas now for an even better setup...

I've never been much the builder type but I am completely in love with just how detailed and advanced some mods can get. My favorite now is Applied Energistics, which I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface of. I have an entire automatic processing line that works through my ME network, with items being imported in out of an ender chest and then ores exported to macerators/pulverizers, the dusts imported back into the network only to be exported to elite smelting factories from Mekanism (a furnace with seven slots that can even be upgraded to work faster!), and finally the ingots imported back again and put into my storage unit preformatted for ingots. Kind of scary to think that when my Nether lava pump runs out and my power cuts off that I won't be able to access anything, but that's why I keep an emergency steam boiler hooked into my energy bridge with a chest of coke nearby.

It's also fun thinking about how that entire paragraph will look like gibberish to anyone not familiar with FTB or modded Minecraft in general. Been trying to get a friend into it and he doesn't understand anything at all!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nobody is on the server... building stuff alone is kind of sad :(

I've been playing offline in my new single player world for the past few days, the new 1.5 patch has me hooked. Actually just starting out in a fresh world has me hooked. Took me forever to farm enough leather from cows to make a full 30 bookshelf enchanting room. At this point though my mountain base is set up nicely. Still have detailing to do but I've got all the major rooms and hallways dug out except for an alchemy center. Did get into the nether but haven't found a nether fortress yet. Nether quartz is fairly easy to find though. It's common enough to be found now and then but rare enough that I have to hunt for it. And I've found it at a variety of places too: exposed out in the open, deep underground, it seems to be evenly distributed everywhere. Eventually my entire base will have quartz arches and stairs, I really like the look of the stuff.

Also I'm seeing a lot more monsters wearing armor and weilding weapons. I've gotten two enchanted bows from skeletons already. One of them I died too, lol.

I haven't even bought Starcraft II:HotS yet, Minecraft has been taking all of my time lately. Maybe in a few weeks...

I'm seeing a lot more mobs in general, honestly. Might just be because the cave system I'm exploring is pretty friggin' huge, but there are a sizable amount of skeletons and zombies about.

Especially skeletons. Everywhere I turn, skeleton. Argh.

defel

I'm seeing a lot more mobs in general, honestly. Might just be because the cave system I'm exploring is pretty friggin' huge, but there are a sizable amount of skeletons and zombies about.

The Skeleton difficulty was upped. The shoot much faster and with greater accuracy.

They also now shoot over walls so if there is no roof over your head they'll still find a way to hit you.

I might check out the server later if it's okay. I got burnt out on MC before and don't think I've played since the adventure update. Can't promise I'll be on loads but I always enjoyed servers more than SP.which server is more active?

The Skeleton difficulty was upped. The shoot much faster and with greater accuracy.

They also now shoot over walls so if there is no roof over your head they'll still find a way to hit you.
And I still have no particular means of recourse when I'm early into the game and low on arrows, short of bumrushing them and hoping I can kill them before they take away too much damage.

I suppose having four dogs helps a bit (lots of skeletons = lots of bones), although keeping them from killing themselves is a bit of a chore.

defel

And I still have no particular means of recourse when I'm early into the game and low on arrows, short of bumrushing them and hoping I can kill them before they take away too much damage.

I suppose having four dogs helps a bit (lots of skeletons = lots of bones), although keeping them from killing themselves is a bit of a chore.

Ye I think getting lucky with a skeleton spawner early on really helps with arrows more than ever. Its super easy to build a basic mob trap now too after 2-3 hours of play. If you build a basic mob trap up at the 230 block height you will actually be far enough away from the loaded chunks on the ground that you can get incredibly good spawn rates. Thats what I have in my SP world atm. I want to try to sort them but Ive got to somehow get a villager up to level 220 :/

So, ultra-important question!

steve2aa7s.png

Beard or smile?

I've always seen a beard - a sort of goatee that stretches up to Steve's lips - but I can kinda see the smile. It's just, if that's a smile, it looks a bit absurdly goofy. I know a lot of Minecraft's textures look kinda silly, but somehow it strikes me as even sillier than the kinda derpy pigs. Like, it'd be comically large.

(Official answer was
"beard", apparently
, before they removed it from the skin, but don't let that stop you :V)

defel

Just built myself a hidden 2x2 jeb door in creative. Its the first complicated thing Ive made without following a tutorial. Cant deny I feel a little bit proud of myself xD

Ranger X

Don't know if its been a while you've played but they made mobs harder sometimes last autumn. And they spawn in greater numbers with better pathfinding. And now they are suposedly even harder.

That's cool however because I find Minecraft super easy, I mean, I don't die anymore because of mobs, they don't even scare me anymore (although fun to kill)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to dodge skeleton arrows? Feels like you just need to rush them but they'll get a hit in every few seconds guaranteed

Sarcasm

Hmm, could you put the error text in a code box?

Code:
Use the code tag.

Well it fixed itself when I got on after work. No PC restart either. I can still put it but its basically

Code:
GL Error 1282: Invalid operation @gbuffers_textured

More text and stuff. It may have been memory related or something.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Don't know if its been a while you've played but they made mobs harder sometimes last autumn. And they spawn in greater numbers with better pathfinding. And now they are suposedly even harder.

That's cool however because I find Minecraft super easy, I mean, I don't die anymore because of mobs, they don't even scare me anymore (although fun to kill)

Yeah, but they've boosted them again for 1.5. I know that burning zombies will now catch you on fire too if they touch you, and skeletons are not only more accurate and deadly, but they fire at you more often the closer you get to them. Makes meleeing them much harder, and if you are fighting more than one at a time it gets real chaotic.

kennah

Wow, there is a lot of really really clever design in there for motion illusion. Loved how they made beetlejuice word appear and disappear and the trick of the eyes following you around the room. So spooky and awesome!

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh. Dubstep.

Amazing video though! Even more so since it's the 360 version.

Looks like the game runs much smoother on a console than PC...
Yeah, 360 version has been really popular and if I recall correctly, wasn't it ported to C++? I like Java, and Jeb was doing performance enhancements recently like I mentioned, but I imagine changing over could help PC performance.

789shadow

Banned
Looking for help with the underground tree farm I'm going to build. What are the best ways to avoid super oak trees, and should I keep all the trees at the same height?

Looking for help with the underground tree farm I'm going to build. What are the best ways to avoid super oak trees, and should I keep all the trees at the same height?

i believe that if you put a floating block directly above the tree spot at the height you want, no trees should get any taller than that block. pretty sure that still works.

oh and make sure to put a torch on top of the block.

sonic ether shaders are so pretty, yet so janky.

make sure you are using the most updated version. the one i use never has any problems. (well.... until 1.5 ;P)
best way to know if you are using an old version, the torches will be really dim.

SEUS V10
GLSL

Why is the torch necessary?

oh, just skeletons and zombies, and creepers will spawn on them, even with lights on the floor of the tree-farm. i think, who knows if that's changed by now, was a while ago. but i remember that happening to me. (although less of a problem with creepers destroying blocks off)

i suppose a half-slab would have the same effect.

Top Bottom