• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

ZEPPELIN!

SOMdMnW.jpg

Too bad it's broke as hell in SMP

Stat!

So can't build on it?

I suppose not. It seems to act similar to a torch. IE: sand falling on it breaks.

It's basically, for all intents and purposes, a reskinned snow block without the ability to stack one on top of the other.

You can also put blocks under it like lighting blocks and have it shine through. The carpet will hide the actual light block unlike a full wool block which will block the light.

Ranger X

The only real way to balance Minecraft combat would be to almost rewrite it completely.

Instead of tweaking absurd difficulty parameters all the time, they should create new mobs to at least diversify the encounters. New easier mobs, new tuffer mobs.

sqwarlock

I just got back into Minecraft over the weekend, and have been building a nice mountain-top base in SP. I want to try something new though, and that would be playing on a server. Never done multi-player Minecraft before. I figure the Neocraft server would be a good place to start, but what exactly goes on on a server? What's the atmosphere like? Is voice chat a necessity?

Sarcasm

I just got back into Minecraft over the weekend, and have been building a nice mountain-top base in SP. I want to try something new though, and that would be playing on a server. Never done multi-player Minecraft before. I figure the Neocraft server would be a good place to start, but what exactly goes on on a server? What's the atmosphere like? Is voice chat a necessity?

Could also try out Feed the beast.

But I believe voice isn't a necessity. I don't even think there is even a dedicated voice.

Multiplayer on Neocraft isn't that different to singleplayer. The only difference is you have other people online with you in the world and they are usually working on their own builds. You can help people on their builds if they ask for help or you can ask people to help on your build. There are even several "community projects" dotted around where you can build to a "theme". There is no player vs player fighting it is just a bunch of people building cool stuff. We are pretty laid back on Neocraft if you want to just go off and do your own thing and not "interact" with anyone then we won't snigger at you and make jokes about you behind your back ........ or at least that is what we told Mackroid.

The server does have voice chat but hardly anyone bothers with it (hell I don't even own a microphone) so all of the discussion is done via the text based chat. Atmosphere wise, it's all a good laugh, seriously it's a laid back place, lots of good natured humour. You don't have to take part in the chat if you don't wish too, but if you want to jump in to the discussion no one is going to tell you not too. Just have fun really, hell that is why we play the game ....... or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

sqwarlock

Multiplayer on Neocraft isn't that different to singleplayer. The only difference is you have other people online with you in the world and they are usually working on their own builds. You can help people on their builds if they ask for help or you can ask people to help on your build. There are even several "community projects" dotted around where you can build to a "theme". There is no player vs player fighting it is just a bunch of people building cool stuff. We are pretty laid back on Neocraft if you want to just go off and do your own thing and not "interact" with anyone then we won't snigger at you and make jokes about you behind your back ........ or at least that is what we told Mackroid.

The server does have voice chat but hardly anyone bothers with it (hell I don't even own a microphone) so all of the discussion is done via the text based chat. Atmosphere wise, it's all a good laugh, seriously it's a laid back place, lots of good natured humour. You don't have to take part in the chat if you don't wish too, but if you want to jump in to the discussion no one is going to tell you not too. Just have fun really, hell that is why we play the game ....... or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Awesome. Sounds like a nice way to relax after work. What's the procedure for getting on the server? Do I need to PM anyone?

Awesome. Sounds like a nice way to relax after work. What's the procedure for getting on the server? Do I need to PM anyone?

You need to be added to the whitelist to do anything in the world. I can do that for you so if you want to pm me your minecraft username I will get that done. The server address can be found by quoting the post here :-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53764323&postcount=19164

Just click on quote and the server IP will be revealed.

-Minsc-

I've been unable to access the NeoCrack server for the past 15 minutes. I'm all ready experiencing symptoms of withdrawal.

Am I the only one unable to connect?

Pfft you lot getting me out of my bed at 3am to see what is up with the server and it is working fine and hunky dory :p Besides you lot are only there cos Mirk's server is down, I damn ye to hell I do ;-)

Vlad

So, while NeoCrack was down I blew up a village offline.

BeforeBoom.png

AfterBoom.png

Sooooooooooooo, time to build a Nuclear Reactor at spawn?

Wow, is that from a nuclear reactor?

Supposedly the explosion can be contained by certain blocks (warded stone, for one), so I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever mess with them on the server...

That, or just build it under ArtistDude's place or something.

Vlad

My client did crash the last two times I died. The second time was when I was unable to reconnect to the server. I guess we broked it. :p

It could be worse...a few NeoCraft servers back (it was Exano's, I believe), I actually did manage to single-handedly break the server.

I was an op there, and looking through the commands that I had available, I saw the /ex command. Apparently it would extinguish fires within X radius. This was back in the days when a forest fire would result in lots of floating permaburning logs, and there was one of those by my place, so I figured I'd test the command out.

I type "/ex 5", and the fires right next to me poof out of existence.

"/ex 10" and the ones further out go away nicely.

I figure I'd go for broke and "/ex 1000000000".

The server immediately crashes.

-Minsc-

Wow, is that from a nuclear reactor?

Supposedly the explosion can be contained by certain blocks (warded stone, for one), so I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever mess with them on the server...

That, or just build it under ArtistDude's place or something.

I built a Mark V reactor, filled it with uranium capsules, then fired it up. The explosion is instant. Now it's a tad radioactive around the crater.

Stat!

Neocrack server is down again I think.

I built a Mark V reactor, filled it with uranium capsules, then fired it up. The explosion is instant. Now it's a tad radioactive around the crater.

Need to wear a hazmat suit in a radioactive area. I'm pretty sure you can get reinforced stone/doors to prevent the explosion from being massive too.

I'm curious what you all think is the best energy? Renewable energy?

Vlad

I'm curious what you all think is the best energy? Renewable energy?

I've always been a fan of solar, since it's completely hands-off. Unfortunately, it's a lot more expensive in the Mindcrack pack due to Gregtech. Still, once you have one, I imagine just setting up an MFE/MFSU or two and letting the solar just drip-feed the power into it.

This would especially be powerful in multiplayer where you can be stockpiling power even when you're not logged in.

Of course, I've never messed around with the really energy-hungry devices (matter fabricator, teleporter, etc), so I can't speak to how well that works for that.

Stat!

I've always been a fan of solar, since it's completely hands-off. Unfortunately, it's a lot more expensive in the Mindcrack pack due to Gregtech. Still, once you have one, I imagine just setting up an MFE/MFSU or two and letting the solar just drip-feed the power into it.

This would especially be powerful in multiplayer where you can be stockpiling power even when you're not logged in.

Of course, I've never messed around with the really energy-hungry devices (matter fabricator, teleporter, etc), so I can't speak to how well that works for that.

My plan is to possibly have a chunkloader with a few MFSU's connected to a few advanced solar panels (or higher) but as you said, I'm not sure the higher ones can handle it? I don't know yet but I do like the idea of a MSFU

I can't connect to the server. Is it just me or is the server down?

Vlad

My plan is to possibly have a chunkloader with a few MFSU's connected to a few advanced solar panels (or higher) but as you said, I'm not sure the higher ones can handle it? I don't know yet but I do like the idea of a MSFU

MFEs can handle up to medium voltage input, while MFSUs take up to High Voltage in. Any higher than that requires a transformer.

I can't connect to the server. Is it just me or is the server down?

Server's been down all day, as far as I can tell <twitch, twitch>

Hey, folks.

I'm looking to pick up a cheap laptop, and while I'm not much of a PC gamer, I would like to be able to play Minecraft on it. What do I need to look for, video spec wise?

I was thinking about this one..

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.257476600

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with shared graphics memory

Or this one..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...lack/8119044.p?id=1218863909024&skuId=8119044

AMD Radeon HD 6310

Not sure if eitherwould be decent enough to run MC, though..

Thoughts?

In my experience it doesn't matter how good your pc is. Minecraft is still a resource hogging shitty Java game.

I really hope we get the xbox version's code someday.

Mirk

Wait is the server down again?

Okay restarted. So that 2 days now its gone down. If it happens again i'll send in a ticket sorry guys.

Mirk

Okay restarted should be up. Also were any of you on when it went down? If so anything happen? Or where you just kicked? The kig says nothing at all about people getting kick. But anyway I sent in a ticket hopfully they can tell me why its going down.

Stat!

Okay restarted should be up. Also were any of you on when it went down? If so anything happen? Or where you just kicked? The kig says nothing at all about people getting kick. But anyway I sent in a ticket hopfully they can tell me why its going down.

I wasn't kicked. What happened was, there were about 6 of us. I started to mine some tin ore. I noticed I wasn't picking up blocks- they were just disappearing upon breaking them, I asked if it was lagging in the chat for anyone else, no one responded, so I disconnected myself on an attempt to rejoin, and I couldn't connect to the server.

Vlad

I was just mucking about doing some Thaumcraft research. I finished one and when I went to read it, nothing would happen. I tried to open a chest, and it wouldn't budge. A few seconds later, the server booted me.

Mirk

Well they responded to my ticket and said the world is leaking due to chickenchuncks mod. They advised me to remove that mod. It only adds the chunkloader block. Kinda sucks because i use the chunkloader. There is another mod that has a chunk loader but it uses ender pearls. Or you can just use a quarry doing nothing i guess. What do you guys think should we remove the mod? Ill look tonight to see if there is a fix.

Vlad

Well they responded to my ticket and said the world is leaking due to chickenchuncks mod. They advised me to remove that mod. It only adds the chunkloader block. Kinda sucks because i use the chunkloader. There is another mod that has a chunk loader but it uses ender pearls. Or you can just use a quarry doing nothing i guess. What do you guys think should we remove the mod? Ill look tonight to see if there is a fix.

As useful as chunk loaders are, they're not worth having the server crash over.

Stat!

The thing with world anchors is they run on enderpearls. Which means they can be turned off. Which might be okay.

I don't know how many people have chunk loaders. Maybe someone set one up to cover like 50 chunks accidentally? Maybe we can do something like 2 per person. Or 1 per person. I'm not really entirely sure what to do. Will the world anchors provide the same problem? I mean, I'd just run a hopper with a chest since they need refueling every 12 hours.

My idea: Have people run chunk loaders when they are online or in a limited capacity. For example, you can set chunk loaders to a limited area but not covering 30 neighbouring chunks. If it's difficult to say though.How many people have chunk loaders? How large of an area are they covering? I think if we figure out how many chunk loaders are possible, or something along the lines.

To be honest, I'm slightly selfish cause I at least want to set one up for myself before we get rid of it lol but I understand if we need to remove them.

Overall, I think we can all agree that it's better not to have it than to have the server going down each day for several hours but I think we should investigate on managing them first before just removing it completely.

Mirk

Nah we should be okay for now. Before I was restarting the server myself. I set it up now to restart it self every 3 hours that should prevent it. After looking into it. It seems even removing the mod wont fix the world. We would need to make a new world without the mod for it to be gone completlly and f that noise. So we'll see how this works out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone trying out the 1.6 snapshot yet? Do the changes to the java and openGL requirements, and the new launcher mean it'll have a bigger than usual impact on how long it takes bukkit and other mods to catch up?

-Minsc-

So, with the NeoCrack server down again lastnight what did I go and do?

Set off a 3x3 cube on Nukes.

Here's the result of my second attempt (the first attempt my computer had trouble processing all the dropped cobble and eventually crashed the client).

Nuke1.png

Nuke2.png

BTW, this is a flat world with a land height up to around level 235. The nukes were set off about 20-30 meters underground.

Woorloog

Banned
So, with the NeoCrack server down again lastnight what did I go and do?

Set off a 3x3 cube on Nukes.

Here's the result of my second attempt (the first attempt my computer had trouble processing all the dropped cobble and eventually crashed the client).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96019010/Pictures/Minecraft/Nuke1.png[IMG]

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96019010/Pictures/Minecraft/Nuke1.png[IMG]

BTW, this is a flat world with a land height up to around level 235. The nukes were set off about 20-30 meters underground.[/QUOTE]

Stargate? Stargate.

Top Bottom