• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Sarcasm

Guys don't try to upgrade items in the uncrafting you will crash (client side) and high chance of losing both items.

I think you can still repair & uncraft though.

Stat!

Anyone having super lag right now on the server? Can't open chests, shoot arrows, type in the chat.

Ps. I think I figured out how to have custom portal guns but I just need a portal gun to taste it out. I'll let everyone know later.

Stat!

Hey everyone, I figured ou the portal gun so you can have custom colours not tied to anyone else..

You need to edit their own config .cfg file for the portal gun found in the FTB folder. It took me two minutes following this

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thre...tal-gun.16790/

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcXRA3VBvc

It's editing less than 20 characters. It allows people to have their own "colours" for their guns, however it must be a bacon or potato gun. For example, I used Thorn's gun, and he has tan/blue portals that stayed up. I had a black/blue portals that stayed up usnig the same gun. It wasn't tied.

Mix

I just started up the 360 version and there's an update. I already have the one that brought the end with it so what is this one?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
That does look really interesting! Just tried to run it on my laptop but for some reason I only get around 15fps with frequent hangs. Even on the lowest settings.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have a question for everyone:

This, or Terraria -- which one is better? Really debating on buying Terraria but am on the fence.
As much as they're similar, they offer totally different experiences.

Ultimately, Terraria is more of a 'video game'. It has actual goals and is more combat-orientated.

Minecraft has very little in the way of goals and its combat is shit, but its more concerned about immersion and creativity.

Personally, I think Minecraft has more to offer long-term. It just requires you to have some self-motivation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
People tire of Terraria really fast. But we keep coming back to Minecraft. It's just more fun. And keeps getting better.

Think of it more of a sidescroller adventure game that happens to be different every time and has a real end game.

Minecraft is more a 3D adventure where you can do anything you want any way you want.

Minecraft definitely.

I'm curious what you all think is the best energy? Renewable energy?
I have a ton of mod packs installed and like to use the energy systems of all of them. A big part of the enjoyment I get out of the game is figuring out how it works, getting a self-sustaining set-up.

I'm a big fan of renewable energy, but it is quite expensive to set up and you'll probably need a lot of power until you are able to get to that point. Lava tends to be the easiest and relatively cheap source of energy and it's pretty safe. All you need to do is find a nice big lava lake in the nether or a lava age in Mystcraft and put down a pump. Every so often you'll have to move your lava pump, but that's easy to enough to do every couple of weeks. Depending on what mods you have installed, you can set up a lava-transport system with buckets/cans and an ender chest, ender tanks or liquid tessaracts. Once you have the thing set up, dump a chunkloader down and then all you have to do is feed it into tanks and engines on the other side. Having giant multiblock-tanks to dump your lava into also looks really cool for a building.

The Neocraft server is now running on 1.5.2 for those interested

Watches tumbleweeds blowing past. Oh yeah and whomever defaced my Femshep pixel art, please be aware that Femsheps plan to defeat the reapers was not to give them a "happy ending" or any kind of ending really, just some BS metaphysical shit that makes no god damn sense .............. I am not bitter, honest I aint.

defel

Watches tumbleweeds blowing past.

Still having too much fun in my SP world atm.

Got myself an Enderman farm now. Next up is to make an infinite villager breeder and then Im also working on a Sky-mob trap mob sorting system.

I might try the snapshot though, I did hear there was a big improvement in performance. I think its due to the new launcher.

Effect

Okay so I finally picked up Minecraft this weekend and I'm not enjoying it. I am glad I did only spend $21 on it instead of the full price thanks to a Best Buy reward certificate. So the sting is lessen somewhat. However I think I might have myself to blame for this at the moment. I installed the vanilla version and the Feed the Beast version. My thought process being that I know the basics of how to get started (torches, gather materials, etc) and having more options from the start might be better. Thinking that was a big mistake as I possible overly complicated things or made them just harder on myself in general even with having the setting on Easy and Normal in survival mode.

I did manage to install Optifine in both versions after finding the right one for FtB. I think I'm going to give it another chance tonight. I obviously can't get rid of the game so might has well make the most out of it or it will just sit on my computer.

So here's my plan. Ignore FtB. Just focus purely on the vanilla version. Start very slow. No need to complicate things with building various stuff I've seen people build in streams, etc. Working up to the red stone things in the base game seems like what I should focus on first as I learn even more about the game. It would also help to do with frustration as I noticed I could get certain texture packs to work just fine in the vanilla game and not in the other version.

Has anyone used the LB Photo Realism texture pack? I thought it looked really nice but curious if that might make things harder on myself by using something like that to soon?

defel

Okay so I finally picked up Minecraft this weekend and I'm not enjoying it. I am glad I did only spend $21 on it instead of the full price thanks to a Best Buy reward certificate. So the sting is lessen somewhat. However I think I might have myself to blame for this at the moment. I installed the vanilla version and the Feed the Beast version. My thought process being that I know the basics of how to get started (torches, gather materials, etc) and having more options from the start might be better. Thinking that was a big mistake as I possible overly complicated things or made them just harder on myself in general even with having the setting on Easy and Normal in survival mode.

I did manage to install Optifine in both versions after finding the right one for FtB. I think I'm going to give it another chance tonight. I obviously can't get rid of the game so might has well make the most out of it or it will just sit on my computer.

So here's my plan. Ignore FtB. Just focus purely on the vanilla version. Start very slow. No need to complicate things with building various stuff I've seen people build in streams, etc. Working up to the red stone things in the base game seems like what I should focus on first as I learn even more about the game. It would also help to do with frustration as I noticed I could get certain texture packs to work just fine in the vanilla game and not in the other version.

Has anyone used the LB Photo Realism texture pack? I thought it looked really nice but curious if that might make things harder on myself by using something like that to soon?

Ye absolutely do not start with FTB, its overcomplicated and not optimised for first-time players.

Play Vanilla, put on some music or podcasts and just set yourself simple goals. Building a house, getting a sustainable source of food, hoarding a few precious materials, just play around with all the different mechanics of the game.

If your looking for texture packs try Faithful 32x32. Its better quality than the default texture pack but uses a similar style and textures (hence "Faithful") It might be a good compromise between the default texture pack and a super HD realistic texture pack. A photorealistic texture pack wouldnt make it harder for you but it might make it more difficult to follow internet guides or youtube videos which mostly use the default.

http://www.youtube.com/user/paulsoaresjr has a good beginners series.

Effect

Thanks.

What's the difference between the difference resolutions of the texture packs. I've seen 16x16 (I think) 32x32, 64x64, 128x128. Does it look better the higher you go?

FTB is definitely not something you ought to be starting out with. I get the impression that you might want to do too much too quickly. The best way to play Minecraft is setting some small personal goals for yourself. Whenever I start a new world, I usually follow this path:
- Craft stone tools
- Gather coal
- Construct base, which gets expanded and revamped pretty much non-stop from this point on
- Get a wheat farm going
- Make a mineshaft that goes all the way to the bottom layers of the world
- Upgrade to iron tools and get armoured up
- Explore the world for more exotic materials and living creatures.
- Expand farm and start breeding animals
- Explore the nether

Once you're at that point, you can look into enchanting and brewing. Perhaps take on a boss if you're feeling ambitious. I personally don't bother with the bosses, and instead go for constructing larger and fancier structures.

I'd advise to hold off on Redstone circuits until you're more familiar with the game. I think by the time you're ready to take on Redstone, you might be ready to make the switch to mod packs.

Another thing I can recommend is to turn off the music, turn down the sound and instead put on podcasts while you play. It'll help ease the slower parts of the game where you're mining and building. Playing with another person also makes it easier.

Effect

Thanks fo the advice everyone. I think I might have indeed been trying to do to much at once. I'll be sticking with the original game for the time being and trying to take it slow.

Question. Is there a way of making waypoints without modes in the game or do I just need to remember locations as best as I can?

Vlad

Well, looks like the NeoCrack server's gone down again. We were getting quite a large amount of lag (like, break a block and it drops a minute later) in the half hour before it went down.

Watches tumbleweeds blowing past. Oh yeah and whomever defaced my Femshep pixel art, please be aware that Femsheps plan to defeat the reapers was not to give them a "happy ending" or any kind of ending really, just some BS metaphysical shit that makes no god damn sense .............. I am not bitter, honest I aint.

I was recording on there this weekend, will do more tonight. Episode 49 is coming this week. I need to get to 52 by the 23rd @.@

I have a question for single players: Which is more important to take into consideration when focusing on the building aspect of this game, diamond and precious ores, or fairly common quantities like wood, cobblestone, gravel, etc...

I am a sufferer of OCD, so I play as such. I have a solid stack of diamond blocks, and a couple full chests of charcoal. I've hit a wall and don't know what to do at this point.

789shadow

Banned
I have a question for single players: Which is more important to take into consideration when focusing on the building aspect of this game, diamond and precious ores, or fairly common quantities like wood, cobblestone, gravel, etc...

I am a sufferer of OCD, so I play as such. I have a solid stack of diamond blocks, and a couple full chests of charcoal. I've hit a wall and don't know what to do at this point.
Are you building for mostly function or mostly style?

i've been on there, never see anyone on anymore :( maybe im on at the wrong time.

i cant handle FTB, too much crap plus i like creative mode. (although i'd kill for those black cables for my JP build.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If I'm building I just care about getting quantities of building materials. I don't generally build a lot with diamond etc so wouldn't focus on that, but if I want a lot of cobble (to build with or smelt into smooth stone) I might as well mine that at diamond level, and consider any diamonds a bonus. It'll also keep you nicely stocked with iron and coal

I'll also usually spend a day or two on particular tasks - so a couple of days mining for cobble, en a couple of days felling trees for wood etc

Edit: early build of a mod someone did to get minecraft working with the oculus rift
http://youtube.com/#/watch?v=8RN7PD2qiJE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8RN7PD2qiJE

sorry, totally posted that right before going to bed, lol.

will be on neocraft later today though.

Oh no it was more a post about me coming on to the server after a long absence. Mostly prompted by Charlie's femshep comment, I had to check and make sure my Mass Effect Domepolis crew was unharmed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I go for a balance of both in my single player worlds, but depending on what mood I'm in (or what needs I have) I'll tend towards one or the other.

My main playstyle in Minecraft is to start a world by building a good huge main base near spawn, with farms and animal pens for every conceivable need. After I have a main base that I'm happy with then I head into the nether and explore for a stronghold to get netherwart and blaze rods. Next I make a blaze farm to get rods and XP whenever I need them (I actually get most of my XP by breeding animals and furnacing sand and stone). Once I can make speed potions I gear up and trek out into the world to do some serious exploring and spelunking. If I find a good cave network, I'll set up a new base and spelunk the hell out of it. If the spot is worth it I'll build a rail network from my spawn base to it. Eventually I always end up with several bases connected by rails and nether networks.

So depending on what my needs are at any one time, I'm either mining for ores or farming building materials. I always use diamonds for tools and armor if I have a good surplus, so if I need to repair or make new tools then I go mining. Or if I need redstone or other ores, then I go mining. If I'm building a huge base or structure just for the fun of it then I may spend some time farming trees, cobble, or shearing sheep.

I honestly spend a good bit of my time in game simply exploring. It's probably why I spend more time playing offline than online, as I don't want to make server map files inflate too much, heh.

I will just leave this here :-

FuOVfe1.jpg

I think you can guess what the first word is :p I thought it was a nice touch spelling things out in burning blocks myself (oh and on the of chance anyone thinks this is serious, it isn't it is just a laugh ;-) ).

But seriously my projects are on Neocraft so that is where I have too play I am afraid. Besides all those new fangled weird sexual devices in FTB are too confusing for an old git like me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Knaves is a nice touch

I didn't think neocraft had lots of mods? Creative is just a choice thing. Are there areas where creative is off limits? Wouldn't mind that

I tried technic pack stuff and it was fun, but ultimately pointless, I like building and exploring too much. A lot of those mods are like grinding in an RPG, getting x to get y to get z

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Knaves is a nice touch

I didn't think neocraft had lots of mods? Creative is just a choice thing. Are there areas where creative is off limits? Wouldn't mind that

We have a couple mods, but most are doing little things like improving death messages and such. There is the gate mod which I've never used (but some do) and then just a bunch of administrative mods.

I haven't played on Neocraft in quite a bit now, I've been having too much fun in my single player world. I love the game so much more when creative isn't an option and survival actually means something. And when travel takes more effort than typing some text out. I actually enjoy fearing the night and being careful when spelunking, and having to be careful when building huge things, it just makes the game so much more fun for me.

A friend of mine suggested I should play on the server he plays on, it's a straight survival server that only runs anti-griefing mods for the most part. Everyone plays in true vanilla survival, even mods. They use rails and the nether all the time to get around because they have to. Even creeper protection is off, lol, so you have to be careful and respectful of other's and such. Can't remember the name of it again, I'll have to ask him when we go see Star Trek next week.

I have to admit though, I've been watching some of the hardcore Mindcrack PVP videos lately, and they sure are entertaining. I think I'd like to try something like that someday.

defel

We have a couple mods, but most are doing little things like improving death messages and such. There is the gate mod which I've never used (but some do) and then just a bunch of administrative mods.

I haven't played on Neocraft in quite a bit now, I've been having too much fun in my single player world. I love the game so much more when creative isn't an option and survival actually means something. And when travel takes more effort than typing some text out. I actually enjoy fearing the night and being careful when spelunking, and having to be careful when building huge things, it just makes the game so much more fun for me.

A friend of mine suggested I should play on the server he plays on, it's a straight survival server that only runs anti-griefing mods for the most part. Everyone plays in true vanilla survival, even mods. They use rails and the nether all the time to get around because they have to. Even creeper protection is off, lol, so you have to be careful and respectful of other's and such. Can't remember the name of it again, I'll have to ask him when we go see Star Trek next week.

I have to admit though, I've been watching some of the hardcore Mindcrack PVP videos lately, and they sure are entertaining. I think I'd like to try something like that someday.

Agree with everything you said. I might be curious to try that server too.

Ive banged this drum before but Ill do it again just because this video series is so good. Check out Panda's Survival series on youtube. If you enjoy the technical minecraft and playing with the mechanics of the game then you'll love it. Its fantastic. Been watching it during my revision, its made it easier :)

WELCOME to NeoCrack!!

So I set up a MindCrack Feed The Beast server! It has a white list so please leave your IGN if you would like me to add you. I have added a few of you Neocrafters that I remembered.
Atm I have it set for 15 people but I can go as high as 40.

First to join you'll need the launcher, and you can get that here. click me

Second you'll need to select the MindCrack Mod in the launcher and login with your Minecraft info to D/l the mod.

Third you'll need the IP quote to see!

If you have any problems please feel free to PM me!!
I figure it's about time I'd play with my GAF brethren. If there's still any room, I'd love to get access. My IGN is the same as my handle here; EarthPainting.

How do I obtain lava proof armor?

How do I prevent being knocked back by arrows?

I keep getting killed by being knocked into lava by exploding creepers and skeletons.

Also, I'd like to go exploring the netherworld. But I hate being on the defensive against ghasts. I'm assuming that I'd need to upgrade my bows, but the only item I ever bother to enchant are pickaxes for fortune enchantments.

I've never crafted diamond armor because I'm afraid of wasting diamond for armor that I could potentially lose. Same for diamond swords. I only craft pickaxes and shovels out of diamond.

Start brewing Fire Protection potions. Lava will no longer kill you, just slow you down... at least, until the potions wear off.

In order to make those, you'll need to find a slime in the main world, and a Blaze spawner in the Nether, so you can get the required Slime Ball and Blaze Rod needed to make the Magma Cream the Fire Protection potion uses. Then you'll need an Awkward potion (find Netherwart and start farming it) to put the Magma Cream in... Lastly, tossing in some redstone to the completed Fire Protection potion will make it last a full 8 minutes; plenty of time to get to and fro.

FuOVfe1.jpg

I think you can guess what the first word is :p
Fork!

defel

How do I prevent being knocked back by arrows?

I keep getting killed by being knocked into lava by exploding creepers and skeletons.

Also, I'd like to go exploring the netherworld. But I hate being on the defensive against ghasts. I'm assuming that I'd need to upgrade my bows, but the only item I ever bother to enchant are pickaxes for fortune enchantments.

I've never crafted diamond armor because I'm afraid of wasting diamond for armor that I could potentially lose. Same for diamond swords. I only craft pickaxes and shovels out of diamond.

Lava-proof armour is fairly "end-game" you need full diamond armour with some good enchantments and you can survive in lava for quite a while. You best bet however it to brew some fire resistance potions which will make you completely immune and arent so difficult to get.

FuOVfe1.jpg

I think you can guess what the first word is :p I thought it was a nice touch spelling things out in burning blocks myself (oh and on the of chance anyone thinks this is serious, it isn't it is just a laugh ;-) ).

But seriously my projects are on Neocraft so that is where I have too play I am afraid. Besides all those new fangled weird sexual devices in FTB are too confusing for an old git like me.

This is the "Get off my lawn you stupid kids" picture isn't it?

Top Bottom