• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X said:
I found a pond of lava down there. I did bring some buckets of water there but I have a problem making obsidian blocks. I pour the water on the lava, sometimes it becomes an obsidian block, sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand (so far) what the rule is...

Can someone clarify this for me?

:)

If the lava is moving it will become cobble stone, only still lava will become obsidian when water is poured on it. Also, make sure you don't directly place the water block on the lava, believe it will replace the lava block. You want the water to flow onto the lava. If I'm remembering things correctly, been awhile since I messed with lava.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
-Yeti said:
A neat trick for building bridges is to hold down Shift to Crouch. Doing that will prevent you from falling off any ledge as long as you hold Shift down.
This has just about ruined all other games for me, by the way.

Not being able to peer all the way over ledges saddens me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game looks really neat. A little confusing, and I don't entirely understand it, but it seems like something I'd get a kick out of. It's on my must-buy list now that I have a PC, but unfortunately I'm gonna need to set up a paypal account first, damn foreigners and their funny money...

Jasoco

Banned
electroshockwave said:
There is a way to make a portal and other obsidian structures without a diamond pickaxe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJ0RmiYixM
They did it completely unnecessarily. Seeing as lava isn't infinite, all they had to do was pour the water on the pond of lava instead of going to the trouble of creating an infinite spring (Which only needs TWO buckets of water, not four) and a trench for the lava. They basically made their work 10 times as long.

Those ponds that form on the surface are only 1 meter deep anyway, so just pour lava over the whole thing. Else you just end up with ugly looking finite lava pools. Pour the water in, mine the obsidian, cover the hole with dirt, find your next lava spring. Easy as that.

Also, did anyone know the answer to my question? Do Ghasts not show up in Easy? And is Normal that much harder than Easy? What exactly separates each difficulty level?

eso76

Damn that Gargamel code is awesome.
Sure, digging a way out of the dark cave was a pain in the ass, but when i finally got out and saw this

zZkuK.jpg

and the music kicked in...man that was awesome

So I went mining near my house, and accidentally punched a hole into a lake, flooding the mine. Somehow that disoriented me, and I couldn't seem to find which direction I came from. So I started wandering around, trying to find home. Eventually, I realized I needed to give up, but I didn't want to lose the goodies I had collected. So I crafted a chest, stuck my loot in it. I then made a huge tower next to it, and stuck some torches on the top and jumped off. My hopes were that I could find that tower from a distance in order to locate my goodies. But I can't find it. I have no idea how far I wandered.

So much fun.

SenseiJinx said:
So I went mining near my house, and accidentally punched a hole into a lake, flooding the mine. Somehow that disoriented me, and I couldn't seem to find which direction I came from. So I started wandering around, trying to find home. Eventually, I realized I needed to give up, but I didn't want to lose the goodies I had collected. So I crafted a chest, stuck my loot in it. I then made a huge tower next to it, and stuck some torches on the top and jumped off. My hopes were that I could find that tower from a distance in order to locate my goodies. But I can't find it. I have no idea how far I wandered.

So much fun.
Use cartographer you can find it one page back maybe. I'd link it but im on my phone

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
They did it completely unnecessarily. Seeing as lava isn't infinite, all they had to do was pour the water on the pond of lava instead of going to the trouble of creating an infinite spring (Which only needs TWO buckets of water, not four) and a trench for the lava. They basically made their work 10 times as long.

Those ponds that form on the surface are only 1 meter deep anyway, so just pour lava over the whole thing. Else you just end up with ugly looking finite lava pools. Pour the water in, mine the obsidian, cover the hole with dirt, find your next lava spring. Easy as that.

Also, did anyone know the answer to my question? Do Ghasts not show up in Easy? And is Normal that much harder than Easy? What exactly separates each difficulty level?

Their point is to not forge a diamong pikeaxe to make a portal. That's why they do what they do. Of course if you have a diamond pike it's easier to just mine the obsidian.

Max

I am not Max
Jasoco said:

Those ponds that form on the surface are only 1 meter deep anyway, so just pour lava over the whole thing. Else you just end up with ugly looking finite lava pools. Pour the water in, mine the obsidian, cover the hole with dirt, find your next lava spring. Easy as that
wasn't the point of it to show how to make the portal without having to mine the obsidian?

edit: late

Blizzard

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
minecraft.net down for anyone else?
www.minecraft.net and minecraft.net seem to both redirect to www.minecraft.net in my browser, and both have been down or having errors today. I was able to log in for singleplayer without any problems, however.

Max said:
oh i didn't know monsters came out of it
I have never made portals, but I am almost positive that monsters do NOT come out of them. Also, I do not know about whether ghasts are around on easy or not. Some people seem to have not seen slimes in forever, so who knows. Things might be messed up right now.

eso76 said:
Damn that Gargamel code is awesome.
Sure, digging a way out of the dark cave was a pain in the ass, but when i finally got out and saw this

and the music kicked in...man that was awesome
Darnit people! It's "gargamel"! If you type "Gargamel" you end up on some ice/beach place.

Now for my own question:

I do not think I have had this problem before, and it is pretty much a showstopper. If I move my mouse quickly, it escapes the Minecraft window. Is there any way to fix this? Otherwise I have to try to only use slow movements. :( *edit* Quitting the UDK fixed the mouse thing.

Forkball

I hope the GAF server updates soon, I'm ready to explore that area instead of my place. And did Notch knock over some coffee on his computer when he was on his way to GDC?

Wish I had updated in the past month or so so I could at least play around with these new world words. With the site down I can't get my game to update.

Blizzard said:
Darnit people! It's "gargamel"! If you type "Gargamel" you end up on some ice/beach place.

Still seems like he typed it into Minecraft correctly though. :/

Twig

Banned
Does anyone else run Minecraft through Steam? It keeps crashing for me, and I think it's because of the Steam overlay, but I'm not sure.

(The reason I think that is because often the crashes occur when I hit the Steam screenshot button.)

Salmon

Forkball said:
I hope the GAF server updates soon, I'm ready to explore that area instead of my place. And did Notch knock over some coffee on his computer when he was on his way to GDC?
What's the server name/IP?

eso76

Blizzard said:

yeah, true
anyway, doesn't matter anymore..
i've been having fun in that world for the last couple hours, dug caves, found dungeons, dug my way up running away from monsters and ended up in the ocean in the middle of the night, swam back to spawn point, climbed on the corner of tallest mountain around and unleashed a bucket of lava...

It was glorious, the lava spread to unimaginable size engulfing trees and monsters on its way down. It must have been at least 30 blocks wide when i realized i shouldn't have done that on my laptop; the fan started spinning so fast i thought the notebook was going to take off and instead it just..overheated and shut down. And lost my save, my hard earned diamond tools and armour, a considerable amount of obsidian blocks...all gone.
Meh.
Any interesting code i should try ?

Blizzard

Banned
Don't forget to hit escape and wait a second or two every so often. At least formerly, that would autosave as far as I know...or if you're paranoid about losing diamond tools you can always manually save to the menu.

Of course I haven't had a heat crash so maybe that deletes all manual and autosaves for all I know, but I'd surely hope not.

eso76

Blizzard said:
Don't forget to hit escape and wait a second or two every so often. At least formerly, that would autosave as far as I know...or if you're paranoid about losing diamond tools you can always manually save to the menu.

Of course I haven't had a heat crash so maybe that deletes all manual and autosaves for all I know, but I'd surely hope not.

but i had just saved, i have no idea what happened but my save must be corrupted. it throws me into a totally different world

EDIT: Ok this is really weird...i just created a new world with a very long and random seed code and i started the game in a cave..with lit torches in it...wandered a little and sure enough it's the gargamel world the way i left it when the laptop crashed...
oh well, at least there's still several diamonds in my chest

Blizzard

Banned
eso76 said:
but i had just saved, i have no idea what happened but my save must be corrupted. it throws me into a totally different world
That's really bizarre. It's also kind of alarming if crashing due to heat actually means your save files and worlds get completely overwritten. :( It seems hard to believe to me.

If you really want, you might try downloading one of the mapper utilities and look at the world map. You might be spawning in a different location now for some reason, and if you got back to the world origin it might be correct? I don't know.

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Their point is to not forge a diamong pikeaxe to make a portal. That's why they do what they do. Of course if you have a diamond pike it's easier to just mine the obsidian.
Ah I see. They were making it in a mould. Makes sense. My bad.

Twig

Banned
eso76 said:

EDIT: Ok this is really weird...i just created a new world with a very long and random seed code and i started the game in a cave..with lit torches in it...wandered a little and sure enough it's the gargamel world the way i left it when the laptop crashed...
oh well, at least there's still several diamonds in my chest
That's happened to me before.

You might find that some of the chunks have been warped, or you might find they switch places. It's weird. But kind of awesome. U:

Twig said:
Does anyone else run Minecraft through Steam? It keeps crashing for me, and I think it's because of the Steam overlay, but I'm not sure.

(The reason I think that is because often the crashes occur when I hit the Steam screenshot button.)

I haven't tried running it though Steam in a long time, because it was giving me issues. I use to have Minesweeper renamed to Minecraft and launch that so people knew what I was playing, but I stopped caring, lol.

IlludiumQ36

The fact that minecraft.net is down ALL THE TIME makes the need to log in to play on a multiplayer server worse than any DRM that Ubisoft could have ever conceived. Nothing better than not being able to use something you own.

eso76

'vvanderfell' puts you on a beach literally 3 blocks above a zombie spawner. Let's see what's in the chest !

Blizzard

Banned
IlludiumQ36 said:
The fact that minecraft.net is down ALL THE TIME makes the need to log in to play on a multiplayer server worse than any DRM that Ubisoft could have ever conceived. Nothing better than not being able to use something you own.
I understand the frustration, but you can still play the singleplayer (which wouldn't be the case with Ubisoft DRM, right?). Not to mention, it's pretty much the only anti-piracy DRM Notch uses that I'm aware of. If everyone could run multiplayer servers with no central check, then everyone could play pirated multiplayer. Maybe they already can, I don't know, but I'm assuming that's the reason servers have to connect to the central stuff.

As another point of comparison, you can't play ANY Steam games online if your account gets disabled even if it's just for a specific game. And sometimes you can't launch Steam games due to server overload. It's presumably the same sort of thing, providing a DRM check for online functionality in an attempt to prevent multiplayer piracy.

Twig said:

Yeah, I am, and keep having frequent crashes at the moment. I wondered myself if maybe steam was at fault. It happens after about 15 minutes playtime or so for me, the game window suddenly goes black and although you can still hear any music that may be playing the game dies and has to be shut down. This isn't due to pressing screenshot, though.

Has anyone else gotten the following error:

Bad video card drivers!
-----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

I've tried updating my video card driver but the error keeps popping up. I haven't gotten the chance to play the game once =(

BooJoh

eso76 said:
'vvanderfell' puts you on a beach literally 3 blocks above a zombie spawner. Let's see what's in the chest !
While using the same seed will always result in creating the same world, the spawn location will still be random. Coordinates are set though.

For example, you can create the same world over and over and over using the same seed, and if you go to x:0 z:0 you will always find the exact same spot there, but your spawn will be a random location, usually on sand.

I'm not sure what the limits are on where your spawn can be, since it seems to always be in the same general region, but I've had it vary from like -300 to 300 on x and z coordinates in my small amount of testing.

Of course none of this will really matter once bed spawns are in.

Atomski

Just saw my first slime. I was mining and came across a hole at eye level. I had no torches so I went into my inventory to make some. But then all a sudden something bumps me so I drop the inventory screen and this little blob is staring me straight in the face. Scared the livin shit out of me.

I was starting to think these damn things were a myth. Thing was damn cute though now that Ive seen one.

slime.jpg

Also I thought this was strange. I found some sugar cane deep underground around the lava pool depth. Must be a glitch.

sugarcane.png

Twig

Banned
I like how once I start getting back into this game, it just starts crashing nonstop and I want to give up.

Multiplayer bugs and crashes are bad enough - I expect multiplayer to be shit, because it's never not been so. But in singleplayer, it's annoying as fuck when it crashes and I start it back up and I'm suffocating for no reason and I lose everything.

I never had any problems whatsoever when I first started playing, before multiplayer was added. Now it's bleeding through and ruining singleplayer for me, too. ):

Atomski

Twig said:
I like how once I start getting back into this game, it just starts crashing nonstop and I want to give up.

Multiplayer bugs and crashes are bad enough - I expect multiplayer to be shit, because it's never not been so. But in singleplayer, it's annoying as fuck when it crashes and I start it back up and I'm suffocating for no reason and I lose everything.

I never had any problems whatsoever when I first started playing, before multiplayer was added. Now it's bleeding through and ruining singleplayer for me, too. ):

Is java up to date or do you have the right version installed? I had Java 32-bit installed on my 64 bit windows and it made me crash like a mofo. Once I installed 64 bit java I have not had a crash since.

Twig

Banned
Atomski said:
Is java up to date or do you have the right version installed? I had Java 32-bit installed on my 64 bit windows and it made me crash like a mofo. Once I installed 64 bit java I have not had a crash since.
I do not have 64-bit Java. I thought I did, but I don't! I will try that.

Jasoco

Banned
Changed my difficulty to Normal and still no Ghasts. :( What gives?

Also, poor guys, I think they're stuck up there...
2rc3nyx.jpg

Wait, nope. When I walked to the portal, one jumped down and scared the shit out of me.

I want my Ghasts! :(

r.gun

Neo Member
So, I was adventuring around and found a huge cavern that I explored for a good hour only to find a small dungeon room at the bottom of one of the branches. I went in and killed all of the zombies inside and proceeded to loot the two chests that were inside. Stupid me, didn't destroy the mob spawner, so a zombie spawns and kills me. Took me like 20 min to find the room again deep down in the cavern and all my stuff was gone!

Very sad...

Blizzard

Banned
r.gun said:
So, I was adventuring around and found a huge cavern that I explored for a good hour only to find a small dungeon room at the bottom of one of the branches. I went in and killed all of the zombies inside and proceeded to loot the two chests that were inside. Stupid me, didn't destroy the mob spawner, so a zombie spawns and kills me. Took me like 20 min to find the room again deep down in the cavern and all my stuff was gone!

Very sad...
I think you should be able to put torches on all four sides of the spawner, and that will keep it safe. Then you can later make some sort of automatic death trap to provide an infinite supply of feathers, I guess!

Top Bottom