• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

S.W. said:
So what's the downgraded bin that everyone playing on the exano's server uses? Haven't played on the server for a whole week already.

-Edible

If anyone is having trouble downgrading just send me a PM, I'll try to help you out. Also, make sure you have some free space in your PM box.

Forkball said:
Frankly I like digging my way up to get out of the tunnel. If you've still got enough pickaxes, it's more fun and rewarding to try to dig your way back up since you can run into completely new areas and find resources while also getting closer to your home. You do really have to watch out for falling gravel and sand though. It's also fun to see how far away you are from your starting point after you dig out.

What mods is the GAF server running? I really wish it would update so I can explore and build a shrine dedicated to my glory for all to see and worship.

I'm not sure of them all, Craftbook would be the main one that does a lot of awesome stuff and the one you should probably read up on.

Ranger X

Wow. My super cave DOES reach the bottom of the Earth!!
I'm not exactly done with it yet. It was a FUCKING huge cave there. I must have like 6 hours exploring down there and mining what I see.

SO AWESOME.

Jasoco

Banned
10204307 said:
For anyone who wants high cliffs and floating stuff, try this seed: -1784338777788894343.

It's FILLED with mobs, even at day.
Go to:

x: 54
z: 3

And look up. There's a pumpkin on a floating island of stone and dirt. Then look to the right for a hostile mob party.

So awesome. But I'll stick with my "heaven" world. I've established myself a nice mountain mansion here.

The question is, does the Seed generator treat a - as a negative, or does it assume it's a character and convert the whole thing into a hash? I assume solid numbers are passed on unchanged. But Jeb's post doesn't mention negative's.

r1chard

The question is, does the Seed generator treat a - as a negative, or does it assume it's a character and convert the whole thing into a hash? I assume solid numbers are passed on unchanged. But Jeb's post doesn't mention negative's.
I just assumed that the seed is just treated as text, regardless of semantics implied by the content.

Dragmire

Jasoco said:
Go to:

x: 54
z: 3

And look up. There's a pumpkin on a floating island of stone and dirt. Then look to the right for a hostile mob party.

So awesome. But I'll stick with my "heaven" world. I've established myself a nice mountain mansion here.

Got a pic of it. Crazy world.

2d83tbm.jpg

Fugu

So I created a world with a seed but my computer crashed before I could save the seed to a text document; is it possible to reverse engineer (so to speak) the seed used to generate a given world?

Alternatively, the world I'm playing in is one where after about a minute of play, a forest fire invariably breaks out rather close to the spawn. It's a long string of numbers; perhaps someone else saved it.

EDIT: Hah, got it. Try 4042531831790214307 if you like catching fire.

stressboy

10204307 said:
For anyone who wants high cliffs and floating stuff, try this seed: -1784338777788894343.

It's FILLED with mobs, even at day.

Nice world.. love the mountains and OMG CREEPERS OH SHIT

Jasoco

Banned
Fugu said:
So I created a world with a seed but my computer crashed before I could save the seed to a text document; is it possible to reverse engineer (so to speak) the seed used to generate a given world?

Alternatively, the world I'm playing in is one where after about a minute of play, a forest fire invariably breaks out rather close to the spawn. It's a long string of numbers; perhaps someone else saved it.

EDIT: Hah, got it. Try 4042531831790214307 if you like catching fire.
I had to wander around for a while to find it. I started in a desert next to a huge cave system not unlike that negative world posted before. But then I found it and am currently following the fire across the world. So cool to see how fast it eats through an entire forest.

Jasoco

Banned
This is interesting. Seems fire is bugged...

30selg0.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m/e7mcn5/3 (In case the image doesn't show)

Really cool fire light echos. When the fire is gone, the light isn't recalculated. It's beautifully eerie. Plus, the light persists even after sunrise/sunset. And there used to be a tree under that waterfall. The tree burned down. The water doesn't change. So it's now a big blob of water.

Hahahaha, a Creeper just blew up and knocked the wool off two sheep next to me.

KlockreN

Neo Member
After x minutes of playing my screen just turns black and i have to restart minecraft? Anyone else with the same problem?

What kills this game for me is the blackscreen of death. I'll be playing Minecraft and all of the sudden, the window just goes black, Minecraft becomes unresponsive, I have to kill it, restart and I lose a shitton of progress. Ever since it went beta the game has been really unstable for me.

Vinci

Danish
shidoshi said:
I really wish I could have my snowfall back. Stupid biomes!

They still haven't fixed snowfall yet?

Also, does anyone have more detailed information about the Lost Shard server beyond what's on its website? Not a lot of detail on there really. Sounds fantastic.

animlboogy said:
A day after getting my server listed here, there's already been some light griefing. Exano, have you had much of that going on?

Just had a couple dudes accused of griefing by DrBo42. They claimed they were invited by him (not true according to him), as well as claiming that they just got on for the first time (not true according to me). I banned them both. I'm not too concerned by griefing personally -- I like restarting worlds and such, so losing a building or something isn't going to kill me, and griefing is generally part of any proper online experience -- but for the sake of other players, I kind of have to go zero tolerance on it.

If you actually post here and you think you shouldn't have been banned, let me know.

GAF should be better than this sort of thing.

Perhaps we should start a list somewhere of known griefers and go ahead and ban them across all GAF-related Minecraft servers? I know of one griefer who was on both Spot's server and Exano's... Both times he caused some destruction. Both times he was banned.

Eccocid

Ok i have been playing for days and decided to make a portal for Nether finally yesterday.
Very creepy place! But is there a reason to go to Nether for mining? All i got is those burning blocks and glowing blocks. Nothing useful there. Do ppl use it for fast travelling?

And I have been trying to get one of those isometric map makers but no luck on Mac OS X version. What do u guys use on Mac? Most of them doesn't work after new update :( And i found one but it takes hoooooouuuuuuuuurs to render the map!

EVIL

if anyone wants an interesting spawn, try gargamel, its a realy cool and interesting spawn and start area.

Eccocid

hehehehe i was so far from my home and didnt have time to build a shelter at night. it was a forest so i started a huge fire and build a tall 1x1 tower of blocks and spent the night at the top of it while watching the growing fire and burning creepers and animals! mwaha

whats the ip of that server btw? it doesnt show on the blog..

Twig said:
'Cause it's hilarious.

Is it? It's the same mentality as a fat bully at the beach who knows he'll never make anything half as impressive as the other kid's sandcastles, so he kicks them over instead. HI-LARIOUS!

EVH

Using the seed "Seed" to create a new World gives you an awesome world full of caves and kind of interesting to explore.

Falt

S.W. said:
So what's the downgraded bin that everyone playing on the exano's server uses? Haven't played on the server for a whole week already.

-Edible

This needs to be quoted! Help this man!

animlboogy said:
Are you on a 64-bit OS? If so, try getting the 64-bit version of Java. I've heard that solves a lot of black screens.

I had the same problem and updating to 64 bit java does indeed seem to have fixed it, played for a good hour or so last night with no crashes now.

So I started a new game using that long string of numbers seed. Absolutely the best goddamn minecraft world I've ever seen. I love how you have hordes of monsters during the day on the "lower level" of the starting area. Just completely amazing.

However...

Is waking up with a mob next to your bed, despite having a perfectly lit and sealed house, a normal occurrence? I've used beds in other worlds and this never happened.

ZZMitch

HappyBivouac said:
So I started a new game using that long string of numbers seed. Absolutely the best goddamn minecraft world I've ever seen. I love how you have hordes of monsters during the day on the "lower level" of the starting area. Just completely amazing.

However...

Is waking up with a mob next to your bed, despite having a perfectly lit and sealed house, a normal occurrence? I've used beds in other worlds and this never happened.
Is your bed right next to a wall that borders the outside world?

I heard that was causing mob spawns for some people, may be wrong though!

Eccocid

HappyBivouac said:
However...

Stop drinking too much!

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
how do u use beds? I tried to craft in singleplayer but it didnt work...cant craft them..

3 wood at the bottom and then 2 wool on top.
You right-click on the bed and it skips the night.

eso76

HappyBivouac said:

been wondering the same thing, i always wake up with mobs around me

Eccocid

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
made a glass covered fireplace using those red blocks form nether...and u can see the rest :(

1znybd4.jpg

webrunner

Just a note on the newbie guide:

DO NOT PANIC if you can't find coal. If you build a furnace and put wood on the top and bottom, it'll burn into Charcoal - charcoal can be used to make torches or smelt, but doesn't stack with Coal.

woolley

I want to get this game so bad. Does anyone know if your able to buy Paypal gift cards in stores? I don't have a credit card to get it.

Eccocid

NO MORE WOODEN HOUSE! even tho it looks nice and cozy next one will be mad eof STEEL AND BRICKS! also i will insurance it!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Eccocid said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
made a glass covered fireplace using those red blocks form nether...and u can see the rest :(
a home is not a home lest it sits upon the ashes of your first attempt.

gillty

Banned
woolley said:
I want to get this game so bad. Does anyone know if your able to buy Paypal gift cards in stores? I don't have a credit card to get it.
If you live in the US or Canada you can hook up your Chequing bank account and do a transfer to a paypal account. It might take a few days but it works if you can't figure out another way.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
eso76 said:
been wondering the same thing, i always wake up with mobs around me

Same here, a zombie will always wake me up.

And apparently if you get woken up, it wont save that as your new spawn.

Articalys

Zerokku said:
Same here, a zombie will always wake me up.

And apparently if you get woken up, it wont save that as your new spawn.
For starters, they haven't actually implemented beds as respawn points yet, that's coming in a future update.

As for being woken up in the middle of the night, the wiki solves that issue quite handily:
To ensure that you are not awakened unnecessarily during the night, the bed must not be placed along a 1 block thick wall, unless the area on the other side of the wall is also safe. If a hostile mob can get within 2 blocks of the bed, even if the blocks are separated by a wall, you will be awakened with the hostile mob standing next to you. There appears to be a slight delay before the mob attacks you, giving you time to get the first blow.

Eccocid

Are beds only multiplayer only?

I can't craft them. 3 wooden box(or even wood) and 3 cotton above them and nothing comes.

Top Bottom